Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Please help advise on Exodus 22:29b

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi all,

I have been studying Exodus and came across this verse of which I am struggling to understand entirely.

Exodus 22:29-30

29 “Do not hold back offerings from your granaries or your vats.[g]
“You must give me the firstborn of your sons. 30 Do the same with your cattle and your sheep. Let them stay with their mothers for seven days, but give them to me on the eighth day.

What does GOD mean "Give them to me on the eighth day"..

I have also noticed a few other verses that mention the offering of every first born son but unfortunately, as I do not attend church regularly as of yet, I have no one really to discuss it with you understands.

Please excuse my ignorance but this is the first time I have studied very hard to gain as much comprehension of the bible as possible.

I have only just purchased a few different versions of the bible and at only 20, I didn't have much comprehension of the King James version until recently (I have had it since I was 7 years old).

Your help would be a blessing.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

God took the firstborn sons, they were his.

However, God demanded that they be redeemed.
Exodus 13:13 And every firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb; and if thou wilt not redeem it, then thou shalt break his neck: and all the firstborn of man among thy children shalt thou redeem.

Again, God provides and the Levites are substituted.

Numbers 3:45 Take the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the children of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of their cattle; and the Levites shall be mine: I am the LORD.

One thing you need to consider, is all this points to the work of Christ.

God took the firstborn sons, they were his.

However, God demanded that they be redeemed.
Exodus 13:13 And every firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb; and if thou wilt not redeem it, then thou shalt break his neck: and all the firstborn of man among thy children shalt thou redeem.

Again, God provides and the Levites are substituted.

Numbers 3:45 Take the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the children of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of their cattle; and the Levites shall be mine: I am the LORD.

One thing you need to consider, is all this points to the work of Christ.

I understand! Of course, because he was to give up his firstborn (and only) son. That is why God also tested Abraham on the mountain with his son Isaac. Thank you, it makes perfect sense now.

I understand! Of course, because he was to give up his firstborn (and only) son. That is why God also tested Abraham on the mountain with his son Isaac. Thank you, it makes perfect sense now.

Your pointed down the right path :thumbsup

Just a bit more food for fodder..

Exodus 4:23 And I say unto you, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if you refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay your son, even your firstborn.

This is the first place in the entire Bible where God claims a nation as his son.

Of course, this narrows to his only "begotten" son :yes
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Your pointed down the right path :thumbsup

Just a bit more food for fodder..

Exodus 4:23 And I say unto you, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if you refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay your son, even your firstborn.

This is the first place in the entire Bible where God claims a nation as his son.

Of course, this narrows to his only "begotten" son :yes
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Yes, absolutely. I mean, I was under full comprehension of the way of Christ and that he who has faith and believes in him, will receive the reward of everlasting life.

The bible walks us through and leaves little hints to Jesus' coming. I love that. Thank you for taking the time to share this light with me :)

Every word that I read in the Bible speaks volumes to me so when I come to a part that I need some help with gaining the understanding too, it's pleasing to receive.

Many thank.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back