Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Poll: earring(s) for one, or both, his ears?

POLL: Earring for one, or both, his ears?

• I would be content if e.g., my teen son, wore an earring in ONE ear only

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I would be content if e.g., my teen son, wore earrings in BOTH ears

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I would NOT be content if e.g., my teen son, wore earrings in either ear

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

farouk

Okay so this poll is just a bit different. For a guy that pierces his ear(s), would you be content for him (e.g., your teen son, maybe) to have an earring in one, or both, ears?

(Or maybe not at all?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so this poll is just a bit different. For a guy that pierces his ear(s), would you be content for him (e.g., your teen son, maybe) to have an earring in one, or both, ears?

(Or maybe not at all?)

I am 69 ys old and spent 24 years in the service. My generation did not go for such things. One thing that I am glad about , even though I was in a naval service I never got a tatoo. I see nothing wrong with either jewery for men or tatoo's for either sex. It's just not me. I voted that I would be comfortable with both. In fact he has one. Its his ears and his life and he's 36 yrs old. My teaching him is over. I will try to only worry about important things (spiritual) in my dealings with him.

My eyes are getting bad. I didn't see the teen part. I would not let my teen son get a tatoo untill he was on his own. Ear rings are not that big of a deal so its still both.

littlelight:

Ty for your thoughtful response.

I see nothing wrong with either jewery for men or tatoo's for either sex. It's just not me. I voted that I would be comfortable with both.

Yes, you're right; a lot of ladies really like getting tattooed, too.

I would not let my teen son get a tatoo untill he was on his own. Ear rings are not that big of a deal so its still both.

I reckon getting ears pierced, for whoever, is basically a matter of personal preference.

The main thing is to encourage young people to get it done in a sterile and clean way at a jeweler's or parlor, and not 'experiment' with a dirty needle in front of a mirror.

(You are right about older teens; often in states where 18 is the minimum age for a tattoo, it's the 18th b-day that marks the young person's trip to the parlor. In some states it's younger, but I wonder if they are ready at under 18?)

Let's give the feminine adornments back to the ladies and the homosexual community, ok? :thumbsup

As for me and my house, we will be proudly hetero in behavior and appearance.

Some men in the Bible had their ear pierced. It was even at God's command.
I am not surprised, times change!

If I travel back in time and visit any of them, I'll let them know that if they travel to MY time, they better understand that times have changed and their "trimmings" are considered feminine adornments.

(But you forgot to add chapter and verse.)

Some men in the Bible had their ear pierced. It was even at God's command.
We've been through this. The only men with their ears pierced in the Bible were slaves, as a sign of their ownership. Please don't try and make it sound like something it wasn't.

I am not surprised, times change!

If I travel back in time and visit any of them, I'll let them know that if they travel to MY time, they better understand that times have changed and their "trimmings" are considered feminine adornments.

(But you forgot to add chapter and verse.)

P:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"And it shall be, if he say unto thee, I will not go away from thee; because he loveth thee and thine house, because he is well with thee; [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Then thou shalt take an aul, and thrust [it] through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant for ever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise."[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Deuteronomy 15.16-17[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]It was done by men and women alike.
[/FONT][/FONT]

P:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"And it shall be, if he say unto thee, I will not go away from thee; because he loveth thee and thine house, because he is well with thee; [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Then thou shalt take an aul, and thrust [it] through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant for ever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise."[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Deuteronomy 15.16-17[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]It was done by men and women alike.
[/FONT][/FONT]
And Free's point is made for him. :biggrin

We've been through this. The only men with their ears pierced in the Bible were slaves, as a sign of their ownership. Please don't try and make it sound like something it wasn't.

Free:

Actually Ishmaelites did, too, according to the Bible.

There were also North African Jews who trace their ancestry from those who were separated from other Jews before the episode of the golden calf, and the men wore earrings traditionally to show they had nothing to do with the idolatry of Aaron and the people, while Moses was on Mount Sinai.

At least symbolically, the Lord Jesus' had a pierced ear; in Psalm 40, where it says, 'Mine ears hast thou opened', the Hebrew has 'digged' , for opened, i.e., pierced.

Free:

Actually Ishmaelites did, too, according to the Bible.
Chapter and verse please.

farouk said:
At least symbolically, the Lord Jesus' had a pierced ear; in Psalm 40, where it says, 'Mine ears hast thou opened', the Hebrew has 'digged' , for opened, i.e., pierced.
We've gone over this before as well. That is but one meaning and probably not the predominant one. Regardless, in no way does this set a precedent for men to pierce their ears.

My left ear is pierced and sometimes I will wear one in it, I like a hanging cross or a hanging Star of David with a cross in the middle.

My left ear is pierced and sometimes I will wear one in it, I like a hanging cross or a hanging Star of David with a cross in the middle.

LewisW:

I guess it can be a witness talking point in conversation sometimes, right?

So you pierced your left ear; did you ever consider getting the right ear pierced, too? (I guess, one ear or two, was kind of my thought when the poll and thread were started.)

you left out my answer -

If the kid is silly enough to punch a hole in himself to begin with, I couldn't care LESS that he did it. My older son has an earring - somewhere, but I don't think my younger son has any.

Re: you left out my answer -

If the kid is silly enough to punch a hole in himself to begin with, I couldn't care LESS that he did it. My older son has an earring - somewhere, but I don't think my younger son has any.

BobC: I see....

So do you remember about how old your older son was was when he got his earring, maybe?

LewisW:

I guess it can be a witness talking point in conversation sometimes, right?

So you pierced your left ear; did you ever consider getting the right ear pierced, too? (I guess, one ear or two, was kind of my thought when the poll and thread were started.)
My left ear was pierced in 1971 and i did not like the earring in both ears thing until I saw Jimi Hendrix with one in each ear. But I never did the other ear. And when I did my one ear Jimi had been dead a year.

My left ear was pierced in 1971 and i did not like the earring in both ears thing until I saw Jimi Hendrix with one in each ear. But I never did the other ear. And when I did my one ear Jimi had been dead a year.

Lewis W:

Ty.

So if I've understood you correctly...?

You've not been strongly motivated to get both ears pierced.

But you certainly don't regret the one ear piercing that you have, because you still use it.

Lewis W:

Ty.

So if I've understood you correctly...?

You've not been strongly motivated to get both ears pierced.

But you certainly don't regret the one ear piercing that you have, because you still use it.
No I don't regret it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back