Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Have you ever cursed God?

Have you ever cursed God?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Being on this website, I have seen many people come on here and have real problems with what God is doing in their lives. In the world, people nonstop curse God because of how things are going in the world and in their personal lives. I wanted to take a poll to see if my hypothesis is true.

Have you ever even been upset with God? I think that is the same as cursing.

Have you ever even been upset with God? I think that is the same as cursing.

Sorry but being 'upset' with God is not the same as cursing God.
Read Job to see just how his life was turned upside down and he dispite all his moaning/shouting at God did not curse God.

When life kicks one in the teeth and continues to kick one you have a choice. To go and get drunk, to chuck the Christian life in and do what everyone else is doing or

Or

You can grit one's teeth and tell God that it hurts, that life is difficult/impossible but that you will trust him.
Nothing changes, life is still painful, the problems are still there, bills to pay with no money etc etc etc etc

But

One finds despite al those problems one, after telling God about them, one can get to sleep.
That one has the courage to get out of bed and face a new day.

Somehow That trust gets one through what ever the situation is and no there are no miracles, the problems have to be felt with, bills paid etc but the peace that the world does not know is with one.

I am not sure why, but I have never blamed God for all the bad stuff in my life. I had a horrendous childhood and I blamed my parents. I was an alcoholic and I blamed myself. I was beaten by my husband and blamed him. I have always intuitively known that pain and suffering are a part of life and should be experienced with a positive attitude. I believe that "God helps those who help themselves." (Benjamin Franklin). I also feel that God takes the sting our of our earthly pain with acts of grace. I am grateful. Not being bitter has kept me from self-pity and brought me to a more intimate relationship with Christ. When I suffer, I am up there on the cross with him sharing, in a small degree, what he did for us.

Of course it is easy to be philosophic at my age. I am 72 and grew into this ideology.

Oh sorry...you mean blasphemed?
Like taking the name of God in vain?
Saying "Jesus" when I'm angry?
I've said it for sure but it's not one of my regular cuss words.
How about "omg"? That's fairly tame surely. I still tend to say that. Am I hell bound?

Sorry but being 'upset' with God is not the same as cursing God.
Read Job to see just how his life was turned upside down and he dispite all his moaning/shouting at God did not curse God.
I was going to reference Job, cause he is the one I am going to on this question. I agree he did a lot of expressing about his situations, but he didn't do it "at" God. Meaning, his heart wasn't mad "at" God.

As I read Job, it is the same.....upset/mad/cursing......he never got mad at God

I think this is a major holdup for people who are keeping God at an arm's length. They don't really want to believe him, trust him or worship him because they do not think he is really good.

For some reason, I have never been upset with God. I don't know why.

How about "omg"? That's fairly tame surely. I still tend to say that. Am I hell bound?
I suppose if you meant your blaspheming of God. That would be cursing him.

It is all about intent. If you truly mean to blame Jesus for something bad that is happening to you at the moment.......not good.

You are hell bound if you hate God, blame God or just don't like God, or don't care to know God.
Saying omg, not hellhound........but what is the intent behind it. That is the question.

Not being bitter has kept me from self-pity and brought me to a more intimate relationship with Christ. When I suffer, I am up there on the cross with him sharing, in a small degree, what he did for us.
I like this. Romans 8:28-29 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son.

Romans 5:3-4 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope.

agree he did a lot of expressing about his situations, but he didn't do it "at" God. Meaning, his heart wasn't mad "at" God.

He complained to God about the injustice of what was or had happened to him.
In an authoritarian society one did not do that.
His complaining was an indication that he was angry at what he saw as injustice.

When I lost my first child, I cursed God because I didn't think it was fair. I didn't understand then what I understand now.

I was angry with God with hatred mixed in for many, many years after that.

I'm thankful that God is patient, merciful and kind.

When I lost my first child, I cursed God because I didn't think it was fair. I didn't understand then what I understand now.

I was angry with God with hatred mixed in for many, many years after that.

I'm thankful that God is patient, merciful and kind.
Thank you for your honesty! Has God revealed to you why that happened? It can take a lifetime sometimes to fully understand.

Paranthetic: many years ago due to dealing with a British engineer, I discovered that "quaint" British Slang (Like "Gadzooks") is of Biblical reference. "Gor", "Gad", or "Odd" are corruptions of "God", so "Gadzooks" breaks down to: "God's hooks". There were three of them - one in each hand, and one for His feet. "Oddsbodkins" is synonymous. "God's Bodkins". And the British "Bloody" is HIS BLOOD, shed for us.

Thank you for your honesty! Has God revealed to you why that happened? It can take a lifetime sometimes to fully understand.
What I found was in the book of Job and yes, Job did get his answer. The thing is, our ways are not the ways of God so the answer we want isn’t always the answer we get and the way we get the answer comes to us through Gods ways, and not always our ways. This is why many say that God never answered Job. It’s because they don’t have the depth to recognize how God answers.

From Job, I learned that God will use Satan to draw us into a deeper relationship with a Him. We see right away that God sets limits on what Satan can and can’t do to Job. Often, we get the idea that God is responsible for every tidbit that happens but in reality, we see in creation (Genesis 1 and 2) that God empowers his creation while imposing limits which brings order out of chaos. As written in Job, God limits the sea with the sea shore and as we read of Noah, never will there be a global flood again. In this same way, God puts limits on human suffering. And here is the answer. God does not create the suffering nor the chaos. But his does limit it.

Nowhere in scripture will you find a promise that we won’t experience suffering. It’s quiet the opposite and Jesus even tells us we will experience suffering. What you will find is God will not leave or forsake us and a deeper look reveals that God himself suffers, and we share in that suffering because God desires all to be saved, yet many reject him, which is why while we were yet enemies toward a God, Christ died for us.

What I found was in the book of Job and yes, Job did get his answer. The thing is, our ways are not the ways of God so the answer we want isn’t always the answer we get and the way we get the answer comes to us through Gods ways, and not always our ways. This is why many say that God never answered Job. It’s because they don’t have the depth to recognize how God answers.

From Job, I learned that God will use Satan to draw us into a deeper relationship with a Him. We see right away that God sets limits on what Satan can and can’t do to Job. Often, we get the idea that God is responsible for every tidbit that happens but in reality, we see in creation (Genesis 1 and 2) that God empowers his creation while imposing limits which brings order out of chaos. As written in Job, God limits the sea with the sea shore and as we read of Noah, never will there be a global flood again. In this same way, God puts limits on human suffering. And here is the answer. God does not create the suffering nor the chaos. But his does limit it.

Nowhere in scripture will you find a promise that we won’t experience suffering. It’s quiet the opposite and Jesus even tells us we will experience suffering. What you will find is God will not leave or forsake us and a deeper look reveals that God himself suffers, and we share in that suffering because God desires all to be saved, yet many reject him, which is why while we were yet enemies toward a God, Christ died for us.
I have come to the same realization about all you have written here. (1) God's ways are not our ways. (2) The more the devil tries to get me to hate God, I draw closer to God (3) The suffering and God brings about a hope

I was going to reference Job, cause he is the one I am going to on this question. I agree he did a lot of expressing about his situations, but he didn't do it "at" God. Meaning, his heart wasn't mad "at" God.

As I read Job, it is the same.....upset/mad/cursing......he never got mad at God

I think this is a major holdup for people who are keeping God at an arm's length. They don't really want to believe him, trust him or worship him because they do not think he is really good.

For some reason, I have never been upset with God. I don't know why.

That is prolly the main thing that the Lord has taught me since I've been walking with Him again...that He's not an angry God that's out to get us, He loves us more than I ever realized before.

I don't think I've ever cursed God before. I was upset with Him once and sent up a pretty irreverent prayer. I was young and stupid and was upset about being epileptic cuz I had had a grand mal seizure. Not cursing Him but more like an arrogant why God, Why ME?! like that. Long since confessed apologized and forgotten. The Lord is good! And He is VERY Longsuffering.

Back