Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Popular Music That Teach Morals

On another thread, someone mentioned how his kids want to listen to what their friends are listening to.
And I say, "If you can't fight 'em, join 'em"! :)
I don't mean join in listening to trashy music, I mean find the "cool" music that also has good messages you want repeated over & over.

Here are some popular songs that I like, that teach good values...

Slow Songs:

To Where You Are, Josh Groban
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kDzC4k5-A

So Small, Carrie Underwood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPAoacVen4

Shine, Clay Aiken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzboZOPs754

Fast Songs:

Firework, Katey Perry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3P9fyJEu6E

Pirate Bones, Natashia Bedinfield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrhDoxM2uJk

Remixed: Deeper Love, Aretha Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r7BAYLvfuM

Brighter than the Sun, Colbie Caillat (I imagine this is about the Spirit of God we feel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IClT9CEGXDs

Please share any more songs you can think of that teach good values but that kids/teens would listen to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about anything by Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, or Gwen Stefani.

Sk8er B0y by Avril Lavigne, but that's ancient...

All the good Christian bands, I suppose.

Oh, Friday by Rebecca Black... because we're always looking forward to the weekend?

katy perry? the same that pushed that song on being born gay is ok? hardly.

firework. i get to hear that everyday here so i will post that lyrics and see.that more insprirational not morals. what if said person was gay and wanted to push for marriage.that song could inspire them.

firework. i get to hear that everyday here so i will post that lyrics and see.that more insprirational not morals. what if said person was gay and wanted to push for marriage.that song could inspire them.

Yeah, I thought about that, after I posted that, Clay also.

I don't obsess so much about the artists, as about good music.
Still, I know some do (esp. teenagers) so we'd have to be careful in that case.

All the good Christian bands, I suppose.
Thanks for more suggestions, DarkHorseRising. :thumbsup

A few of my favorite Christian songs & artists...

More, Mathew West (He's got a lot of good songs!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaHkJGT-sc&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRIQxBJCRWU

What Love Really Means, JJ Heller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWf-XehllA

What About, Peter Breinholt (need to crank volume)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWzY2XDI1Q

Dream Big, Ryan Shupe & The Rubber Bands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkVaXVQUBa8

I'm not aware of any Katy Perry song espousing that opinion, or any pro-gay advocacy (and I'm a pretty big fan). She's a Christian and has released gospel music albums in the past.

I'm not aware of any Katy Perry song espousing that opinion, or any pro-gay advocacy (and I'm a pretty big fan). She's a Christian and has released gospel music albums in the past.
a christian? really one who was banned from sesame street for showing cleavage and sung this?

http://www.burbler.com/katy-perry-f-snoop-dogg-california-gurls-lyrics.html

that well tempted me to well sin. hmm hardly christian. please

http://www.metrolyrics.com/ur-so-gay-lyrics-katy-perry.html

ah yes thats well so christ like. sure? who you foolin?

and her song firework? well looky here it is as i said and called it out.
http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2011/0...katy-perrys-gay-anthem-firework-for-campaign/

and what of the song i kissed a girl with the part i kinda like it?

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/k/katy_perry/i_kissed_a_girl.html

however the ur so gay song isnt quite what the lbgt likes. i cant blame them from their angle.

Firefight, Kutless, Skillet, skillet, day of Fire. Then from the 80's and 90's arena rock era is Petra. Don't forget DC Talk or Toby Mac solo, Jaime Grace, Mandisa.

I respect that people will have their own opinions on whether Katy perry is pro/anti gay, however Michelle Bachmann does not have the final word on the matter. I have no interest in arguing this point, so I'll just say I have never found her to be encouraging homosexuality. If her songs inspire gay youth to cheer up and not swallow a bottle of sleeping pills, so much the better.

I respect that people will have their own opinions on whether Katy perry is pro/anti gay, however Michelle Bachmann does not have the final word on the matter. I have no interest in arguing this point, so I'll just say I have never found her to be encouraging homosexuality. If her songs inspire gay youth to cheer up and not swallow a bottle of sleeping pills, so much the better.
its one thing to encourage man not hate to abuse men over being gay antother to say this" i kissed a girl and i like it"

im a former male bisexual. what if i went on this site and posted a video on being a bimale and in love with a man again? would i be a christian who encouraged sin? yup or lost and backslidden.that song california gurls was the first song of hers i heard. only a lesbian imho would say it that way but i havent her come out.so i can say pery is one. we christians are to avoid evil(eschew) it and yet pery doesnt.that is why im taking you to task on this.what if you heard her sing being gay is wrong and a sin? the world would call her full of hate! i have seen a church have that done to them in my town.

Don't you think you should consider that the music your kids want to listen to, that their friends are listening to, may not be the same as the music you're suggesting? Perhaps your time might be better spent in showing them by example and teaching who their friends should be.

NC

its one thing to encourage man not hate to abuse men over being gay antother to say this" i kissed a girl and i like it"

That song is about a kiss. Not sex, not a relationship, not anything sexual. It's a kiss.

im a former male bisexual. what if i went on this site and posted a video on being a bimale and in love with a man again? would i be a christian who encouraged sin? yup or lost and backslidden.

She's not gay/lesbian, never has been, and has never advocated for people to become such. She was happily married to a man until he cheated on her and left.

that song california gurls was the first song of hers i heard. only a lesbian imho would say it that way but i havent her come out.so i can say pery is one.

California Girls has nothing whatsoever about lesbianism. It's about California as a somewhat mythical place.

And no, despite what you think, you CANNOT say Katy Perry is a lesbian, based solely on listening to a few of her songs! That's extremely unfair and comes across as judgmental.

we christians are to avoid evil(eschew) it and yet pery doesnt.that is why im taking you to task on this.what if you heard her sing being gay is wrong and a sin? the world would call her full of hate! i have seen a church have that done to them in my town.

Katy Perry answers to God for her faith, not others. I don't feel it is fair to be slamming her because we perceive her to be less of a Christian than us. She's a public figure; her life is constantly under the spotlight. I can only imagine how terrible of a person I'd come across as if everything about me was put online and dissected and analyzed by the masses. There's a million little things I've done over my life that would make me appear to be a poor Christian. As I don't want to be judged, I will not judge her.

That song is about a kiss. Not sex, not a relationship, not anything sexual. It's a kiss.

She's not gay/lesbian, never has been, and has never advocated for people to become such. She was happily married to a man until he cheated on her and left.

California Girls has nothing whatsoever about lesbianism. It's about California as a somewhat mythical place.

And no, despite what you think, you CANNOT say Katy Perry is a lesbian, based solely on listening to a few of her songs! That's extremely unfair and comes across as judgmental.

Katy Perry answers to God for her faith, not others. I don't feel it is fair to be slamming her because we perceive her to be less of a Christian than us. She's a public figure; her life is constantly under the spotlight. I can only imagine how terrible of a person I'd come across as if everything about me was put online and dissected and analyzed by the masses. There's a million little things I've done over my life that would make me appear to be a poor Christian. As I don't want to be judged, I will not judge her.
funny thing , that gaydar, that all men and lesbians have. it doesnt lie. i denied one to a gay man that i was once a bi male. he didnt believe me. he knew. its from then i realised it so when i see the 'signs" i await for the fruits of it. seldom am i wrong. a fellow soldier who was a real into promiscuity and the occult and partying came forth as being a lesbian.others were shocked.. me not suprised at all. saw it a while ago. just was waiting for her to be bi or a lesbian.

so really all that to say a kiss? hmm she didnt say a kiss was innocent was it. why then did she her boyfriend would be jealous if he knew? a kiss in that manner does imply a sin of homosexuality.

when i was in a love with a man. we never had sex as in anal sex. kisses and oral sex. yet to god i was in SIN. that is the still a sin. to kiss a girl in that manner implies a sin. so i shouldnt expect fruit from my fellow believers, nor they me? hmm funny thing is my step-child and adult over 30 expects it from all who claim it. she said i show it in manner and got unto me for my cursing. she confronted her mother(my wife ) when she said she is a christian for being angry and also bitter. told her that aint of god. i guess she should have said nothing and let her march to hell. its not judging but calling out what is wrong and then saying what needs to change. just because someone claims christ doesnt mean that they are in christ. judas isachariot surely was thought to be one of the apostles and yet what did the Lord say about him? he hath a devil. his actions showed that when he betrayed the Lord who made him.while we arent god but we can rely on we shall know them by their fruits. and what fruits are these to be?

peace,love,joy, happiness,etc. a live shown that you and I repented.

so really all that to say a kiss? hmm she didnt say a kiss was innocent was it. why then did she her boyfriend would be jealous if he knew? a kiss in that manner does imply a sin of homosexuality.
You are readying way to much into a song. I think that since you admit to having gay tendencies, you then related music that reminds you of that part of your personality and then cast your entire feelings onto the source.

when i was in a love with a man. we never had sex as in anal sex. kisses and oral sex. yet to god i was in SIN. that is the still a sin. to kiss a girl in that manner implies a sin. so i shouldnt expect fruit from my fellow believers, nor they me? hmm funny thing is my step-child and adult over 30 expects it from all who claim it. she said i show it in manner and got unto me for my cursing. she confronted her mother(my wife ) when she said she is a christian for being angry and also bitter. told her that aint of god. i guess she should have said nothing and let her march to hell. its not judging but calling out what is wrong and then saying what needs to change. just because someone claims christ doesnt mean that they are in christ. judas isachariot surely was thought to be one of the apostles and yet what did the Lord say about him? he hath a devil. his actions showed that when he betrayed the Lord who made him.while we arent god but we can rely on we shall know them by their fruits. and what fruits are these to be?

peace,love,joy, happiness,etc. a live shown that you and I repented.
So, if I understand your point. Katy Perry's songs remind you of your sins, so you don't listen to her. That is cool. Do what ever your want.

What I'm having a problem with now is that you seems to be blaming Katy Perry for your own feelings. Music is a subjective art form, so when anyone listens to a song it impacts that person differently. So, it is not Katy's fault you feel the way you do when you hear her music. She has her own reason for why she wrote the songs she wrote. Only she could explain it fully. All we can do is explain how it impacted us. What we have learned from it.

That is it. Your own personal baggage is yours to deal with. So I would suggest you stop trying to blame Katy for it.

You are readying way to much into a song. I think that since you admit to having gay tendencies, you then related music that reminds you of that part of your personality and then cast your entire feelings onto the source.

So, if I understand your point. Katy Perry's songs remind you of your sins, so you don't listen to her. That is cool. Do what ever your want.

What I'm having a problem with now is that you seems to be blaming Katy Perry for your own feelings. Music is a subjective art form, so when anyone listens to a song it impacts that person differently. So, it is not Katy's fault you feel the way you do when you hear her music. She has her own reason for why she wrote the songs she wrote. Only she could explain it fully. All we can do is explain how it impacted us. What we have learned from it.

That is it. Your own personal baggage is yours to deal with. So I would suggest you stop trying to blame Katy for it.
i dont and well , lance, did i specify what sin it was . no i didnt. in fact the sin i wanted to do was with those women not men!

it has nothing to do with projection all those that i have seen come out in person. i know them before and after. not suprising. when i saw it as they did all that i thought would lead up to it.

i wouldnt care if he continued to listen to perry but to call a her a christian who at least espouse sin in her songs and nothing that lifts up our lord means that likely she isnt one. she tried it in the ccm and didnt make it if she was in christ would she sing those songs glorifying sin? NO. she wouldnt so that tell me that she wanted money or either is a weak christian and fell away. which is likely.

oh, and i havent listen to any secular music. i hear it at work and i dont go out of my way to listen to it. been that way since 1998. called by the lord to do so. unedyfying. yet i hear it at work and when i do at least i want to know what they say so if it comes up i know about it.

i dont and well , lance, did i specify what sin it was . no i didnt. in fact the sin i wanted to do was with those women not men!
Who is Lance? Never mind, it has nothing to do with this topic. You are sating that a song tempted "You" to do something, but that dose not mean everyone will be tempted by the song. Understand?

it has nothing to do with projection all those that i have seen come out in person. i know them before and after. not suprising. when i saw it as they did all that i thought would lead up to it.
You are projecting this onto a song, where you don't know the person.

i wouldnt care if he continued to listen to perry but to call a her a christian who at least espouse sin in her songs and nothing that lifts up our lord means that likely she isnt one. she tried it in the ccm and didnt make it if she was in christ would she sing those songs glorifying sin? NO. she wouldnt so that tell me that she wanted money or either is a weak christian and fell away. which is likely.
Projection again. You are taking your opinions that you gathered from your own experience with her music and trying to speak for her. You are not Katy Perry. You don't know Katy Perry. So you claiming to know her motive and sexuality is nothing by your own opinion based on you projecting your past experiences onto her. That is it.

That is all I'm going to say on the matter. I don't want to be drug into a several page long argument about your own persona l opinion. I was just adding my 2 sense.

I really enjoy Fleetwod Mac's aproach. especially in the song Landslide. I like how the message was centered around aging and reflection about what has gone and finding the strength to carry on and peace from living life. :)

I would love to share with my future family music from my past that has impacted me positively and would love to grow with them by finding newer music that shared the same message. Be it from a Christian perspective or any perspective. As long as the message is positive.

Katy Perry has some songs I like for this. Fall out Boy has some songs for this. Even Several country stars have some good songs. Music is just awesome. :yes

Who is Lance? Never mind, it has nothing to do with this topic. You are sating that a song tempted "You" to do something, but that dose not mean everyone will be tempted by the song. Understand?

You are projecting this onto a song, where you don't know the person.

Projection again. You are taking your opinions that you gathered from your own experience with her music and trying to speak for her. You are not Katy Perry. You don't know Katy Perry. So you claiming to know her motive and sexuality is nothing by your own opinion based on you projecting your past experiences onto her. That is it.

That is all I'm going to say on the matter. I don't want to be drug into a several page long argument about your own persona l opinion. I was just adding my 2 sense.

right, sure if someone has hate in their heart? it shows. if somone has lust in their heart it shows.

so either she doesnt mind that lifestyle or is singing it for glory to make a few dollars likely its one or the other.

lance? oh you post like him and say the same things. you are pro gay rights. its obvious who you are.only lance say teh, and says what you say.

and,calls a marriage a contract tween two women and men. and uses psychology such as this with my statements.posts the way you do.

http://www.dosomething.org/page/katy-perry-talks-about-gay-rights-interview-with-cgg

supports gay rights. hmm sings about and say open minded. makes one wonder. is it likely? yes.that is how i got into that sin. i didnt think they were bad and if they werent bad then it was ok if i did do it when i did. one thing leads to another. like it said it wouldnt suprise me if she did come out.if she doesnt and or denies it then ok then thats fine either way theres no way she is a believer with this statement.

i was raised non-denominational Christian…but it’s a little bit more Evangelical, I guess. I was raised with certain ideas, what the Bible says. But as an adult I definitely have different perspectives and I’m very much not a poster child for anything perfect or organized or cookie cutter. I have my own relationship and my own beliefs and I’m continually on an upward search with all of that. I really don’t know the answers, nor do I like to impress them on anybody else.You have a big gay following and a lot of it’s probably attributed to your song [“I Kissed a Girlâ€]. Are there other reasons that you think that you have a gay following?KP: I have a lot of different followings. I appreciate my gay following, thank you. It’s one of those things where I’m attracted to big personalities and I like to emulate big personalities. Whether I [had] the opportunity to become a successful artist or not, I was always going to be hot. Maybe [I’m a gay icon] because of my big personality and my use of color and frankness and, you know, kitschiness; if kitsch could be my middle name, I definitely would take that!What do you see as your role within the gay community, if anything? Are you an activist? Do you have a role with the gay community?KP: I am a gay activist and I say that proudly. I voted no on Prop 8 [California’s Nov. 4, 2008 amendment declaring that marriage is definied as a union solely between a man and a woman], of course. I’ve come a long way from where I was raised, and I think specifically I realized that when I moved out of my home and I started meeting lots of different types of people – all kinds of different people; it doesn’t matter what their sexual orientation [is]. I’ve always been very open-minded person, but I definitely believe in equality

Back