Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

POTATOE RECIPIES

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
TEXAS FRIED POTATOES and/or CANADIAN FRIED POTATOES

Potatoes - as needed
Onion - cut into small pieces
Virgin Olive oil
Salt
Pepper to taste

Boil potatoes till tender
Drain
Cut into quarters or sixths

Olive oil in frying pan to cover bottom
Fry onion slowly till soft
Add the potatoes
Add salt and pepper
Fry on medium flame till slightly browned

Yummy.

Last edited:
TEXAS FRIED POTATOES and/or CANADIAN FRIED POTATOES

Potatoes - as needed
Onion - cut into small pieces
Virgin Olive oil
Salt
Pepper to taste

Boil potatoes till tender
Drain
Cut into quarters or sixths

Olive oil in frying pan to cover bottom
Fry onion slowly till soft
Add the potatoes
Add salt and pepper
Fry on medium flame till slightly browned

Yummy.
Yep. the key to good results is to boil the potatoes first. I prefer the redskin potatoes for this one, although Yukon golds work well, too. When Mrs. B. gets up, she's going to get the German potato salad recipe for me. I'm an early bird; she's a night owl.

Yep. the key to good results is to boil the potatoes first. I prefer the redskin potatoes for this one, although Yukon golds work well, too. When Mrs. B. gets up, she's going to get the German potato salad recipe for me. I'm an early bird; she's a night owl.
LOL
That must be the reason for your long and happy marriage!!

I use yellow potatoes from Bologna - they're good.

And Adoration and I are waiting on the receipe....
In fact...maybe you should go wake up Mrs. Barb??
JK

That must be the reason for your long and happy marriage!!
Once we figured it out, it was fine. The big problem was that she's from an old New England family. Had ancestors on the Mayflower. And for that family "early to bed and early to rise" was a moral issue. So there was a lot of shaming because she is just not capable of fully functioning in the early morning.

Once she realized I really didn't care if she slept in, it was fine. She negotiated with her employer to come in late and go home late, so that worked out well.

Years ago, when I had young kids, I overheard the 10-YO tell his little brother; "if you need something in the morning, don't ask Mom. Ask Dad."
I use yellow potatoes from Bologna - they're good.
The yellow-skinned potatoes I know, cook up with a much smoother texture in the flesh, so they're great for mashed or melted potatoes. I use reds for steaming with herbs. And of course, Mrs. Barbarian uses them for German potato salad.

Melted Potatoes (I stole this from a site on the net)
  • 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, (they said "peel them"; I don't)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped thyme
  • 1/3 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed and peeled
  1. Place oven rack in upper-middle position of oven and heat oven to 500 degrees.
  2. Combine melted butter, thyme, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
  3. Square off ends of potatoes and cut into 3/4 to 1-inch thick disks.
  4. Toss potato slices in butter mixture and arrange in a single layer in a 13 by 9-inch metal baking pan.
  5. Roast for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove pan from oven and use a spatula to flip potatoes over. Place back in oven for 15 minutes.
  7. Remove pans from oven and flip potatoes one more time. Add chicken broth and garlic. Place back in oven until potatoes are tender, about another 15 minutes.
  8. Baste potatoes with sauce and serve.
Crisp on the outside, creamy smooth on the inside.

O.K. German Potato Salad
2 pounds either red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 pound bacon
1 large onion (approximately 3/4 cup) chopped
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped finely

1. CUT UP POTATOES INTO PIECES IN WHATEVER BITE-SZED SHAPE PREFERRED (CHUNKS OR ROUNDS). IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO PEEL THE POTATOES.
2. BOIL POTATOES UNTIL TENDER WHEN PIERCED WITH A FORK
3. DRAIN POTATOES AND SET TO THE SIDE
4. COOK BACON IN A LARGE SKILLET (YOU WILL BE ADDING THE POTATOES LATER).
5. REMOVE BACON AND DRAIN ON PAPER TOWEL.
6. PLACE CHOPPED ONION IN SKILLET (HEAT LOWERED) AND COOK UNTIL TRANSLUCENT. SOME OF THE BACON FAT MAY HAVE TO BE REMOVED IF THERE IS TOO MUCH FAT TO SAUTE THE ONIONS PROPERLY. DO NOT OVER BROWN THE ONIONS.
7. COMBINE THE VINEGAR, SUGAR, SALT, PEPPER, AND MUSTARD IN A SMALL BOWL OR CUP AND WHISK.
8. POUR THE VINEGAR/SUGAR MIXTURE INTO THE SKILLET AND STIR ON LOW TO MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL THE MIXTURE STARTS TO BUBBLE AND THICKEN.
9. TURN DOWN THE HEAT TO EITHER OFF OR JUST WARM. ADD THE POTATOES, TOSSING THEM SO THE POTATOES ARE THOROUGHLY COATED WITH THE MIXTURE.
10. CRUMBLE THE BACON PIECES OVER THE MIXTURE AND TOSS INTO THE POTATOES.
11. SPRINKLE THE FRSH CHOPPED PARSLEY OVER THE POTATOES AND CAREFULLY CONTINUE TOSSING UNTIL THE PARSLEY IS ALSO SLIGHTLY COATED.
12. POTATOES CAN BE PLACED IN A DISH OR SERVED FROM THE SKILLET. GERMAN POTATO SALAD CAN BE SERVED WARM OR IT CAN BE REFRIGERATED AND SERVED COLD.

Back