Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Prayer for my husband's surgery

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

handy

My husband has been epileptic since birth because some scar tissue formed on his brain in the womb. He's worked hard in life to do things most of us take for granted and was able to undergo a brain surgery in the 80's that helped get the seizures more under control. However, for the past few years, he began to seize more and more and no matter what is done with his medications, the seizures are getting more frequent and stronger. He has what is known as petite mal seizures... which isn't the worst, but they certainly can interfere with daily life and his work.

Tomorrow he is going in for a surgery to get a Vagus Nerve Stimulator. This is a small device that will be implanted into his chest with wires that will wrap around the Vagus nerve. When a seizure occurs, he will pass a magnet over the stimulator and that will either stop the seizure or at least make it very mild. It won't "cure" the epilepsy, but it's a way to bring it under control so that Steve will be able to function much more normally.

The operation will take a few hours and it does involve the nerve, so I ask for prayer that the doctors will be able to perform their job and that there will be no complications. I also am asking that the VNS does work and that Steve's epilepsy can get back under control... as well as for his post op healing. For me, I just ask that I can get some rest tonight so that I can be supportive and a helper to Steve through all of this.

I appreciate all my family here at CF.net for your support and prayers at this time.

Praying that all goes well dear sister and that God comforts and supplies your and your families need at this time in Jesus' name.

I'm agreeing in prayer that you are sleeping well, that God will guid the Dr. hands, that you will have peace during the surgery and a swift recovery. :)

A friend of mine is gonna get the same kind of surgery soon, hoping the vagus nerve stimulation will help with his bipolar disorder (medication and therapy did nothing for him).
I heard the surgery isn't too heavy, but it's still a rather new method.

Handy, your family is in my prayers and I hope things will turn out well for your husband, I hope the surgery will go well and the device will be effective against his condition.

If you don't mind, would you let us know how things went?

I am praying that Jesus will guide the surgeons. And that you, dear handy, and your husband will soon be back home and find rest together.

that was posted about a half an hour ago. I wonder why my dad who is aslo epileptic never had this mentioned to him. he can no longer work nor drive because of his seizures. he almost was able to drive then just stopped wanting too.not sure if was the illness or something else.

Thanks for all the prayers!!!! Steve came through the surgery with no problems and the surgeon gave a good prognosis. We're staying at the Bishop's house until tomorrow, then he should be clear to go home. My in-laws and the pastor I work for came down and stayed with me during the surgery so that was a real encouragement. I think all we need now is just some good rest and we're getting plenty of that here at the Bishop's house. Thanks again for the prayers!

Jason, your dad might want to talk to his neurosurgeon about it. There are reasons why it might not work for some epileptics... but it's always worth the discussion.

Thanks for all the prayers!!!! Steve came through the surgery with no problems and the surgeon gave a good prognosis. We're staying at the Bishop's house until tomorrow, then he should be clear to go home. My in-laws and the pastor I work for came down and stayed with me during the surgery so that was a real encouragement. I think all we need now is just some good rest and we're getting plenty of that here at the Bishop's house. Thanks again for the prayers!

Jason, your dad might want to talk to his neurosurgeon about it. There are reasons why it might not work for some epileptics... but it's always worth the discussion.
wasn't there a test steve went through first to see if his epilepsy was bad enough? my dad had that and they determined that all he needed was to have his meds adjusted. but then in 2001 they didn't have this option either. this illness can also have an effect where memory is lost, also where one can be alert and not be able to move and also can talk. both has happened to my dad. some of it was due to his illness and also health issues. being overweight etc. he had to have speech therapy and had to learn to walk again.

I pray for a speedy recovery. I can somewhat relate to what he is going through. I have very mild ones from time to time due to stress. I have had a previous head injury. But I am off my medication and have been for years because my eeg cam back normal. Prayers to you and your family.

Thank you all again for the prayers... Steve is recovering nicely. Today he hasn't even taken any pain meds... just some ibuprofin! We'll head up to home today (we're at his folk's place in town right now). All in all, things are going very well!

Thank you all again for the prayers... Steve is recovering nicely. Today he hasn't even taken any pain meds... just some ibuprofin! We'll head up to home today (we're at his folk's place in town right now). All in all, things are going very well!
[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]:

Excellent! :) I was wondering; was going to ask you how he was doing. :pray

Blessings.

Back