Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Protein

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

citrus

I'm not getting enough. Could you recommend shakes, powders, supplements that could help? Oh and I'm a young girl. I don't think I will ever get bulky lol 😅

Women do tend to worry about bulking up too much when it comes to lifting weights, protein, etc. More and more, studies are showing that a significant increase in protein, especially alongside lifting weights, can significantly slow sarcopenia (old age muscle loss; not something you need to worry about yet). But more protein is generally good for everyone, as most people don’t get the RDA.

Find a protein powder that has as few ingredients as possible. You just need a concentrate not an isolate, as they cost more. Pure Protein has good protein bars for the price, either at Costco or on Amazon.

I get my protein powder at Costco (Canada) as it is the best deal I can find anywhere, especially when it goes on sale.

https://www.costco.ca/leanfit-whey-protein-–-chocolate-flavour.product.4000092336.html

I like Carnation Instant Breakfast milkshakes. The strawberry are really good.
They have some that are powder that you mix in milk, but I prefer the ones in the 8oz bottles ready to drink.

Don't just make these your whole meal, just a supplement along with regular food.

Whey protein may have additional health benefits on top of adding in needed protein into your diet. Some data seems to indicate that getting protein from non animal sources is potentially beneficial if calories and fat intake are kept in check.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I personally didn’t realize how important protein is until I had my psych episode a long time ago. I was agitated etc and didn’t eat properly, but the result of losing weight rapidly and losing muscle mass and my hair even turned thin and brittle. Eek 😬 so please 🙏 do get adequate protein.

One thing to remember with protein is that different sources have different bioavailability. Animal sources approach 99% bioavailability depending on the source (something like 95-99% bioavailability across all animal sources). Non-plant sources have lower numbers. I certainly don’t know them all, but I know that wheat protein is only 40% bioavailable, so it takes much more to get the equivalent useful amount as animal sources.

Getting protein can get interesting,
Feed lot meat antibiotics (me)
Lone Star tick bite (me)
Gluten intolerance (me)

It just makes life a challenge. I will be keeping an eye out for ideas. Beans work for some. Others have to cook at high heat and that destroys all good things.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Women do tend to worry about bulking up too much when it comes to lifting weights, protein, etc. More and more, studies are showing that a significant increase in protein, especially alongside lifting weights, can significantly slow sarcopenia (old age muscle loss; not something you need to worry about yet). But more protein is generally good for everyone, as most people don’t get the RDA.

Find a protein powder that has as few ingredients as possible. You just need a concentrate not an isolate, as they cost more. Pure Protein has good protein bars for the price, either at Costco or on Amazon.

I get my protein powder at Costco (Canada) as it is the best deal I can find anywhere, especially when it goes on sale.

https://www.costco.ca/leanfit-whey-protein-–-chocolate-flavour.product.4000092336.html
Thank you. I am just trying to gain weight
I have a very high metabolism. I heard protein helps, but I do know much about it. I don't exercise very much. I'm trying to do stretching and very mild cardio. I'm small boned. I just know I could you some extra pounds. I have lost to much. Do you think protein will help?

I have a very high metabolism. I heard protein helps, but I do know much about it. I don't exercise very much. I'm trying to do stretching and very mild cardio. I'm small boned. I just know I could you some extra pounds. I have lost to much. Do you think protein will help?
Building muscle mass (if I am correct) works better with sprinting. I did too many 7 hour intensive concrete projects and burned up all fat and some muscle. Now I am having issues too. I am not young.

eddif

More calories in general would help, whether protein, carbs, or fat. For sure I would recommend increasing protein and also recommend that if you increase carbs then decrease fat, or at least don’t increase it (and vice versa). Having said all that, I would mostly recommend that you work with your doctor or a nutritionist.

Of course, lifting weights is always a good way to put on mass, making use of increased protein, so you’re not merely just putting on weight.

Well, if your just trying to gain weight, any calories (fat and carbohydrates) would be okay too.

If your having problems with not being hungry, here are a couple of links:

I don't know if you remember the 1960's/70's model who became famous for being skinny. They called her Twiggy.
She is still alive and 72 years old now. I just did the math and she would have been born in 1952. So she would have been 16 in 1968.
iu

Yah. My cousin's wife is morally obsessed where she can barely walk or sit. Everytime I see her she is like," did you loose weight?" I'm thinking it's rude and I bit my tongue last time because I wanted to say, " oh have you gained 50lbs from last time I saw you?" Of course I didn't say that. 😒 but everyone ask me if I eat. I'm like you see me eat. I eat the same things you do everyday if not more. I am skinny though. Never been lower so I just thought maybe I'm missing something here. How can I be at a healthy weight. But really the time before that when she asked me and I was at decent weight. Blah. My sister and brother are skinnier than I am and noone ask them. Oh well. I searched on my BMI and need a some more lbs. According to them though. Back to my regular weight. I don't know fir sure. I have a high metabolism. My mom always said you been some greasy burgers and basically fried food. I'm thinking I don't want to have more problems by trying to solve a problem. Gross. 😆 well that dies make me feel a little better. I'm not a vegetarian so I don't know. I just heard protein helps. *shrugs." I know. I don't want to over do it. 😆

Back