Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Putting Prayer to the Test

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
anthony123 said:
"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (John 14:13-14).

How about the child who prays for the molester to stop or the woman who prays for the rapist to stop?

God chooses to not answer their prayer because they need to be raped and molested in order to teach them something?

There seems to be a lot of excuses for God and I believe yours are as manufactured as the others. God is a big boy, he can take some criticism. If he has a reason for not answering those prayers I'd like to know why.

There is evil in the world, plain and simple. God cannot be dictated to nor answer our every whim. If he did, he wouldn't be God.

I had the same journey you had but in reverse. I have been an agnostic for 20+ years and decided I needed to jump off the fence and pick a side. That one year journey led me to God. Sounds like your journey is leading you in a very different direction.

Prayer is a very powerful tool and practice. It is effective in connecting with God and Christ and the Holy Spirit. If we think we can use it to mold our world in the image we wish to see it in we would be dead wrong. Things happen for a reason. Those reasons may not be clear to us at the outset but there is a reason none the less. Sometimes it is even downright confusing and frustrating trying to understand why something happened the way it did.

One example for me is the death of my Father at 16. Devastating event for me. However, now that I am a Father and a leader I know why it happened. If my Dad had not died I would be a very different person to day. As hard as it was, I became a much better man and Father myself because of my Father's death.

Things happen for a reason...make no mistake about it.

anthony123 said:
"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (John 14:13-14).

How about the child who prays for the molester to stop or the woman who prays for the rapist to stop?

God chooses to not answer their prayer because they need to be raped and molested in order to teach them something?

There seems to be a lot of excuses for God and I believe yours are as manufactured as the others. God is a big boy, he can take some criticism. If he has a reason for not answering those prayers I'd like to know why.

As one of those women (when a child) who prayed for the very thing you bring up, all I can say is that my prayer to God and the way it was answered only reaffirms my belief in the wisdom of God, not shake it. As a matter of fact, it was God's love and support that brought me through the whole ordeal.

So what exactly has God done to you that is so terrible that you choose to doubt and disbelieve?

.....that make me feel good about Christianity

I think I found what makes Anthony tick. It's all about HIM. God must answer HIS way, or else He does not exist (or perhaps not doing His job). It's all about feeling good.

Any other "highs" we want to talk about today that makes us feel good? I like rum and cokes, that always makes me feel good.

the problem with this would be that prayer doesnt depend on being a protestant or athiest it doesnt even depend only on having the right God although that is a part. But on the faith of the one praying
I would have to say that God tells us that we don't even know how to pray properly, but that Holy Spirit has to interpret our prayers (Rom8.26). Prayers to God also depend on God, not on our faith. For what is faith? It is knowing that God exists, and that God rewards those who seek him (Heb11.6). Do I get to choose those rewards? No. Can I demand things from God? No. It isn't about me as an individual, it is about me as a member of God's family finally. It is this dark world that makes it all about me, the individual. Think about that. Selah.
Let us rejoice and be glad in Him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back