Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questions

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JoshuaW

Is it wrong to only want to go to heaven so that we can see our children again? If so how can I stop thinking that way?

Is it wrong to only want to go to heaven so that we can see our children again? If so how can I stop thinking that way?
Yes, it’s wrong. One ought to pray fervently for the grace to love God above all things. For example, O my God, grant me the grace to love Thee above all things with my whole heart and soul, purely because Thou art infinitely perfect and deserving of all love.

Jesus said....

He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.
Matthew 10:37-39 NKJV

Hey All,
JoshuaW, I am going to offer a different point of view. John 3:16 tells us that God loved us so much that He sent His only begotten son . . .
His love for us was/is that strong. Your love for your children is equally strong. Therefore your actions are out of love. How can God be upset if you are mimicking Him? God offers everlasting life for believing in His Son Jesus. Everybody has a reason for believing. Most desire the eternal life. But getting to see your son or daughter again is a wonderful benefit for believing in Jesus.

I would ask though, why can't it be both; a love for God, through belief in Jesus, and the love for your children?
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

It's not wrong, exactly, to want to see your children when you are in heaven. But understand that what makes heaven heavenly is God, not your children, or any other loved one you might encounter in God's eternal realm. If you don't deeply desire heaven because God is there and you want desperately, above all, to be with Him, then, quite frankly, you aren't ready for heaven.

None of us could ever fathom what the New Jerusalem will be like in all its splendor and literally being in the presence of Christ Jesus or what we will look like in new glorified bodies. Will we even know each other like we do now, I have no clue. What is more important is the love of God over anything else including our loved ones here on earth. The things we think about here on earth probably won't even matter when we are all gathered to Christ on that day. If you love your children here on earth then that same love will be for eternity.

Back