Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Reception of the Holy Spirit

Thessalonian said:
I asked this in theology and apolgetics but it is a Bible Study question I think.

What is required to receive the Holy Spirit? i.e. to become a born again Christian.

Some of you believe that just belief is neccessary.

John.7
[39] Now this he said about the Spirit, which those who believed in him were to receive; for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
Acts.19
[2] And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

This passage in Acts 19 was after Christ had been glorified, yet they apparently had not received the Holy Spirit even though they believed in Christ. So it seems that while belief is necessary there is more. In context this passage and the one in Acts 10 where the Holy Spirit came to cornelius and company seem to indicate that someone from the Church has to be present.

your statement;
"Acts.19
[2] And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

as it is apparent they had not heard all of the Word of God because they had not even heard of the Holy Spirit. their belief covered them to as much as they knew, but they couldn't believe in the Holy Spirit if they had never heard of the Holy Spirit. beliefs tied to faith one doesn't work without the other.

I see no other requirements besides believing and having faith to receive the Holy Spirit. the peace Jesus left us with in John 14:27 is the Holy Spirit.

Eph 1:13-14
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

2 Cor 5:5-7
5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.
7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

John 14:26-27
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
27 "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

The Catholic teaching on the commandments quotes in its entirety, what you call the second commandment as a part of protestant tradition in our first commandment.

Protestant tradition? There's nothing about tradition of God's commandments. Bottom line-does the catholic teachings or does it not have the commandments of God, in toto, as indicated in the bible? And, I don't mean the Douay-Rheims version either, which is another counterfeit bible.

Exodus 20:4-5 (KJV) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

If your teachings and your bible has this in it, then you should feel condemned by it. The Catholic church venerates everything from fingers and skulls to that Jesuit death symbol, the crucifix, and images of Jesus' mother and a round, sun shaped wafer.

we could add the affiliation of baptists in the KKK, the killing of Servetus, the atrocities of England from which your KJV comes from, the slaughter of nuns and priests by the Calvinists in Sweden and France and many other murders by those who allegedly have the true religion.

You liken the bloody and murderous Inquisition and Crusades to the KKK? They don't hold a candle to what Rome has done to humanity over the centuries. That's like comparing the Boston Strangler with Adolph Hitler. From the blood baths of the Colosseum to the atrocities perpetrated by Rome during WWII, there's been no one like her when it comes to bloodshed, deceit and fraud. As for Englands, let us not forget it was mostly a Catholic run country with many Kings and Queens being of the Catholic persuasion. Blood Mary-around 300 were burned at the stake during her reign as Queen of England. England was on and off Catholic, Protestant for centuries. King Henry VIII had Henry Phillips hound William Tyndale, who had a bounty on his head for merely wanting to print the bible in English. Phillips found him in Germany, befriended him and then turned him over to guards who threw him in prison for a year and a half before he was strangled and burned by the Catholic heirarchy. You need to do a bit of study and research yourself. History doesn't lie. I search diligently for the truth and find that it does not exist if it comes from Romish popes, priests and Catholic historians.

You all know nothing about what the Catholic Church teaches or why it teaches what it teaches.

You should really learn to think, and study history from a creditable source such as Encyclopedia Britannica.

You should also study the Jewish faith from Christ's day, from Jewish sources.

The Catholic Church is the Church established by Christ. All non-Catholics who call themselves Christian have their roots in the Catholic Church.

Going back and forth with you all when you don't even know what the Catholic Church teaches is pointless. You argue against what you don't even know. That is foolish.

The bottom line is that NO ONE here can prove the Catholic Church teachings found in the Catechism wrong with Scripture and the first Christian writings.

I search diligently for the truth and find that it does not exist if it comes from Romish popes, priests and Catholic historians.

It's obvious from your post your not rational. By the way my main source for the inquisition is a protestant one.

As for your sources you seem to like the ones who don't ref their quotes. sad.

I asked this in theology and apolgetics but it is a Bible Study question I think.

What is required to receive the Holy Spirit? i.e. to become a born again Christian.

John here:
In Acts 5:32 God gives that answer. Then we see His requirements for being saved in Romans 8:14
The purpose of the Holy Spirit who does not talk about Himself, but is to UPLIFT CHRIST. And Acts 4:12 is the only way to be saved. Yet, these verses are all required to have everlasting life.

Philipians 4:13 & 2 Corinthians 12:9 tell's us of the ONLY way to obtain victory [after] the Born Again life, these are our necessary provisions for a [work] of [free choice] victory!

When simply added up, it finds the Bottom line as seen in Ecclesiastes 12:13-14.

Back