Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

[ Testimony ] "recovery," redemption

I think Jesus is working out redemption in my life, and I'm thankful. I had a 95 IQ, all kinds of brain damage, I'd been deeply involved in drugs and sodomy, etc...and that was -before- the (involuntary) lobotomy, 10 years ago.

OK. So, now, I have the "higher IQ estimate," no obvious brain damage, I'm drug free, etc. My parents and I Have reconciled, which is a -miracle-, trust me.

I still deal with digs from the locals. Happens. Now that I'm smart(er) and not in the haze of...all the brain damage, lol...I see: when God redeems wretched people, expect some backlash. Comes with the territory, it seems.

OK. So, thank you all, for your ongoing prayers. I mean that. Tomorrow, I should be heading to church w/ my dad. Its a non-denominational, bigger church that looks like they lean Pentecostal, based on their doctrinal statement on their website. I hope it goes well for us there, and I do hope my parents and I can get rooted in a good church, soon(ish).

Thanks. :)

is it hard, in the UK, to find good churches? I have a friend who moved there and got married. they're both non-Christian, secular, blah blah blah, but when we've talked about it, she says that the UK is far more secularized than the US, especially -this- part of the US (I live in the Bible Belt...plenty of churches to choose from...).

What are the remaining churches in the UK like? Are they holding fast to The Good News, or is there lots of worldliness in the church? sorry to pester you...I"m just really curious. :)

Hi :wave2 you don't pester. I like talking to you and finding out how you are.

I'm sure there must be churches about that hold to the truth but up to now I have found them to be worldly.

Most seen to be social places. I'm looking for fellowship but I want to hear the word of God. They do good works and I'm not saying they are bad. I just feel hungry to hear the word of God.
I'm not finding it. Hope that makes some sense

sorry about that, tessa. I think...to some extent....that happens all over. churches reflect the surrounding community, after all. Its just...sometimes, when my friend tells me about her life in the UK, or I see bits of news coming in from over there, my mind turns to Brave New World. You know, the softer, gentler, friendlier sort of oppression Huxley writes about.

I've heard of Brave New World but don't have a clue what it is about
Is it one I should read?

if you feel like it. its set in the UK, in the future. I think it was written in the 50s or so, its something of a classic. relatively quick read, too. :)

:) thanks, you know...God is good! I've only been truly, genuinely saved 5 years, and...wow. I'm not top dog, alpha male, but I'm definitely not a weakling, either. More importantly...I've been -forgiven- , washed and made clean. Kind of a big deal.

Thanks again. :)

thanks, Tessa. wow. you've -just- joined up, and you've already taken such an interest in me. I'm thankful.

The class is a quick(ish) survey of Roman Civilization, from the beginnings to the end of the empire. Lots of writing, which...is a good thing (i do better in classes that require a lot of writing). My parents are happy that I"m doing -something-, looking outward, etc. I'm blessed beyond measure, and I"m finally at the point where I can genuinely say: I -am- thankful, and increasingly appreciative.

OK. do you have Pentecostals in the UK?

Know just a little of the Roman Empire. I think you will enjoy it.
Yes we have Pentecostal churches here. Only been once. The music was deafening to my old ears :lol
Yes only a newby . I like you that's why I'm interested in you. You've got courage !!

:) thanks, Tessa.

maybe a non-denominational church? I'm looking at one here, locally. their beliefs are solidly Pentecostal, but they've gone the non-denominational route. they seem to be engaged in the community, all that good stuff.

my friend who lives in the UK now, with her husband...she's told me that people do -not- talk religion there like they do here. I mean, I live in the southeast/"The Bible Belt" ("1,000 miles wide, 1 inch deep"); -talk- of God is everywhere, all the time. Meanwhile, we've got huge problems with poverty, violence, drugs, family disintegration, etc. ugh. its not all bad, though. I did a 1 year, residential, Pentecostal program that set me on the right path. not a "perfect program," but...beats going to prison or the state hospital, that's for sure. so, there are (or can be) -some- benefits to living down south, y'all.

:)

Yes I wouldn't mind being part of non-denominational church, that would be good.
Your friend is right. Religion is not a popular talking point here - sadly. I hope and pray all these people will come back to Jesus
Some children don't even know who Jesus is.
It is a big blessing that you chose the road you did. Your parents must feel proud :)

Last edited:
thanks again, Tessa. Yeah...secularization...has pros and cons. I'm all about a kinder, gentler society, social programs, etc., but...for whatever reason, countries w/ more extensive social programs...the more "progressive" nations...seem to have largely lost interest in Christ. Ugh.

I think my parents -are- becoming increasingly proud of me. I'm thankful. Its The Lord's work in our lives. When I got saved, I was basically state hospital material. Not necessarily because of the severity of my "mental illness," but because I was hopeless, a patched up burn out, my life had been over for a while, etc. But...God is good! 5 years later, I've been off probation (2 years early!) for 1 year. My parents and I have reconciled. My "friends" from back then are no where to be found, and that's a blessing.

Now, I'm doing what I can to move forward, as best I can. Its...crazy, 21st century America. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get a job, honestly. Then again...I was deathly ill 10 years, no treatment for much of anything, and now The Lord has willed to make me healthy, so...I still have a lot to be thankful for, even if I never work again.

:)

It was a heavy burden to carry, but you have carried it so well and God gave you the victory.
Life can be cruel. I love that song Bette Midler sang "One Day at a Time Dear Jesus". Look where you are now - Fabulous.
Have you had your history class?

Back