Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[ Testimony ] "recovery," redemption

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
i logged in this morning and did their small, 4 question, required "test" to verify attendance (some weird rule). Now, I'm reading the material for the 1st -real- assignment. thankfully, the 1st assignment is -written-, and its worth a good bit in terms of % of the overall grade, so...good times.

I am a bit nervous about the intro. they want everyone to give a brief intro, tell what state or country you're in, and what job you have, etc. ugh. I could just -not- do it (its not graded) or make something up. I saw one dude's intro, and he didn't cover all that, just a couple sentences about himself, no big thing.

oh well. my problems pale in comparison to what most people go thru, and they definitely don't seem like -anything- compared to what i went thru, not too long ago. God is good!

thanks, yet again. :)

I think I'll just focus on the -real- assignment. Its not due for a couple more days, but I'm going to make a -good- impression with this one.

not to get too personal, but...your daughter, who developed Schizophrenia...is she doing OK? From what my friend who lives in the UK told me, you have more extensive social programs, the NHS, etc. That's -wonderful-. Me? Whoa. I live in conservative part of the US. Minimal safety net, very "pick yourself up by your boot straps," etc. Harsh, harsh community. If it wasn't for my parents, I'd be dead. :-(

I think Jesus is working out redemption in my life, and I'm thankful. I had a 95 IQ, all kinds of brain damage, I'd been deeply involved in drugs and sodomy, etc...and that was -before- the (involuntary) lobotomy, 10 years ago.

OK. So, now, I have the "higher IQ estimate," no obvious brain damage, I'm drug free, etc. My parents and I Have reconciled, which is a -miracle-, trust me.

I still deal with digs from the locals. Happens. Now that I'm smart(er) and not in the haze of...all the brain damage, lol...I see: when God redeems wretched people, expect some backlash. Comes with the territory, it seems.

OK. So, thank you all, for your ongoing prayers. I mean that. Tomorrow, I should be heading to church w/ my dad. Its a non-denominational, bigger church that looks like they lean Pentecostal, based on their doctrinal statement on their website. I hope it goes well for us there, and I do hope my parents and I can get rooted in a good church, soon(ish).

Thanks. :)
Hi Empowered, Put the past behind you, If you have asked God to forgive you, then he has. He does not see them any more. He sees us just as He sees Christ...in fact, He has given us Christ righteousness...that is how He sees us that are born of the Spirit. You don't need to confess your past sins to us...God has done away with them. We love you in the new as we are new in Christ.

Love you in the Lord

Douglas Summers

To answer about my daughter, when she was very ill and nearly over the edge she got no support from NHS . She imagined people were doing terrible things to her, including rape and poisoning her. That was only the tip of the iceberg. Things got worse and worse and she couldn't eat or sleep. She spoke to people who weren"t there, phoned the police whenever she got the chance. She didn't trust anyone at all except for me. I kept on taking her to different hospitals but still no help. Then one day a psychiatrist from one of the hospitals took notice and she started getting help. It took a long time and she was only allowed a certsin length of time with help. Since then she has had cancer, now in remission. Her meds are working and she much better in every way. It depends where you live as to what help you get.

i am sorry, tessa. my friend who now lives in the UK said that the state-funded shrinks aren't so great. her husband has some kind of mood disorder, and he hasn't received adequate care, either. ugh.

im glad her cancer is now in remission and that the psych meds are working as they should. that helps, tremendously.

honestly, based on my experiences with mental health, i sometimes wonder....do we really need psychiatrists, as a specialty? the private practice one's I've dealt with were money hungry. they also pulled out the Freud on me, plus all the shock and operations, etc. Its a miracle that I'm even alive.

having said that, today I went by the clinic and saw my counselor. he's a born again Christian, also...masters of divinity, all that. Its a state funded clinic, so there are -very- serious rules about talking about faith, even though I'm saved. still, it was a good appointment. i think ive actually received higher quality care thru the public/community health outpatient clinics than i ever did from the private practice counselors and doctors. they don't generally prescribe the addictive drugs at this place, and that's good, too. a lot of my "drug problem" was from not-so-great doctors giving me high doses of amphetamines and benzodiazepines. now, i wonder; did they just see a confused teenager w/ good insurance, a "good customer," basically?

oh, as a side note...i do this alternative health thing, Orthomolecular, with my 2 drug combination. its a lot of pills--vitamin c, vitamin e, b-complex, niacinamide--but its not very expensive, and it seems to help in some areas. im less anxious, i get high quality sleep w/o sedatives, and...this is a --big-- thing, for me...I tolerate the tranquilizer (in my case, Abilify) much, much better. I -had- tardive dyskinesia, the tics and such one can get from long term treatment w/ tranquilizers (old and new). I don't have TD now, which is probably a direct act of God, but I do think the supplements help me tolerate the needed psych drugs w/o the tics, tremors, restlessness, etc. that I used to experience, even with the newer "atypical" drugs.

anyway...thanks for your prayers, encouragement, support, etc. i am -very- happy that your daughter is doing better now, and I'm thankful that you were there to support her, even when the NHS wasn't. I read somewhere...in order to genuinely recover from Schizophrenia, Bipolar, etc., each person needs at least -1- person for care, support, someone who helps them/us -believe- that things can and will get better.

:)

Yes I can see how support is essential. I pray for her and God has been so merciful
You must be a great inspiration to others who have suffered like you

thanks, Tessa. I'm thankful, too. It was hard to be thankful when we were still estranged, when I was still (both physically and mentally...) ill, etc. Now...

The Lord has come thru for me! And I -am- thankful. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back