Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

religion in school

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

freeway

John J. Dunphy, in his award winning essay, The Humanist (1983), illustrates this strategic focus, "The battle for humankind's future must be waged and won in the public school classroom by teachers who correctly perceive their role as the proselytizers of a new faith: A religion of humanity -- utilizing a classroom instead of a pulpit to carry humanist values into wherever they teach. The classroom must and will become an arena of conflict between the old and the new -- the rotting corpse of Christianity, together with its adjacent evils and misery, and the new faith of humanism."

wait a minute I thought religion was not allowed to be taught in school. I thought the separation of church and state was the rule of the land here.. seems to me that the only religion they don't want in school is Christianity, if you believe in God or more to the point Jesus, well well we can't have that, we will poison the minds of the little ones, what in the world is going on, they kick our God out just to push there god down our young one throat..along with their god of evolution, but wait evolution is fact! yea, I have bridge for sale 50 miles west of SF city to.

Yea, its not that religious things can not be taught in school..just anything having to do with christianity.

Depends which countries you are talking about. Australia and Britain have both religious schools and even some of the secular schools have religious classes which are optional.

Deep Thought said:
Depends which countries you are talking about.

The US
The above quote is from the official journal of The American Humanist Association (1983)

Dr. C.M. Pierce of Harvard University in a speech to teachers

Every child in America entering school at the age of five is insane because he comes to school with certain allegiances toward our founding fathers, toward our elected officials, toward his parents, toward a belief in a supernatural being, toward the sovereignty of this nation as a separate entity. It's up to you as teachers to make all of these sick children well, by creating the international children of the future.

promisedove said:
Yea, its not that religious things can not be taught in school..just anything having to do with christianity.

Seems to tie in well with the song handy posted in another thread...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31891

handy said:
Before I call our teacher, whom I'm quite good friends with and on very good terms with and go through making a fuss, I thought I'd see if any others take the same attitude towards the song as I do, thinking it's a pagan hymn and not appropriate for a Christian to sing.

Here's the lyrics, written by Tom Rush:

Mother Earth lives on the ocean,
Mother Earth sails on the sea,
I am blessed with her devotion,
Mother Earth provides for me.

Now I am going on a journey,
And I am praying all things end well.
While Mother Earth looks after me,
I will follow faithfully.

Green trees grow on the mountaintops.
Birds still sing while morning comes.
Though I treat her carelessly,

When the grasslands pray for water,
And the harvest needs sunlight,
These are times when I am helpless.
Mother Earth makes all things right.

Mother Earth lives on the ocean,
Mother Earth sails on the sea,
I am blessed with her devotion,

i hate that United States Public Schools are trying to take GOD out of the pledge. You know what i mean. Same thing with advertising at your school.

Yes. And there are some battles that are still in progress as far as I know.
Though it didn't succeed in previous attempts it did succeed in putting the "In God we trust" phrase out of sight onto the edge of some coins.
It's like saying, "Ok, since you want that on money we'll put it in the most obscure place we can find".

Teaching about religions in school is different from religious teachings.

jsasaki06 said:
Exactly. In schools across the United States, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and others are all taught in their World history (or whatever name it is given) class. If Christianity is one of those that is left out (a very big IF), it's not because of an "international conspiracy against Jesus!!!11one", just poor curriculum.
One could though make the argument that there is a bit of revisionism when it comes to Christianity in early US history, but I won't go into that.

MountainCappuccino said:
jsasaki06 said:
Exactly. In schools across the United States, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and others are all taught in their World history (or whatever name it is given) class. If Christianity is one of those that is left out (a very big IF), it's not because of an "international conspiracy against Jesus!!!11one", just poor curriculum.
One could though make the argument that there is a bit of revisionism when it comes to Christianity in early US history, but I won't go into that.

My big gripe is that evolution is being taught as fact... and if it is not fact which it is not...then its religion also.. do I have all the answers.... NO,,, but how about, remove evolution or let it be an elective class, but surely not the only voice...

freeway01 said:
MountainCappuccino said:
jsasaki06 said:

My big gripe is that evolution is being taught as fact... and if it is not fact which it is not...then its religion also.. do I have all the answers.... NO,,, but how about, remove evolution or let it be an elective class, but surely not the only voice...
It's not a religion, no matter how many times you call it one. It's scientific theory. Don't like it? Home-school your children.

"MountainCappuccino"
It's not a religion, no matter how many times you call it one. It's scientific theory. Don't like it? Home-school your children.

Ok, its not on the bases that you say its not.. interesting.. See I thought anytime something could not be proven, and the searcher jumps to a self edifying conclusion and on the hopes others will "buy" into it ........well that religion...

as far as taking them out school and home schooling them.. why not just teach evolution as an elect... everybody happy............ most. 8-) 8-) 8-)

An excerpt from an article that I read that can word this argument much better than I:
A religion is not just any ol’ thing you happen to believe, and its not just anything you believe strongly either. Every belief-system which is commonly accepted as a religion by both its adherents and its critics -is a doctrine of ritual traditions, ceremonies, mythology, and the associated dogma of faith-based belief systems which all include the idea that some element of ‘self’ (be it a soul or portion of consciousness, or memories, etc.) may, in some sense, continue beyond the death of the physical being. This applies to every religion and only to religion, but doesn’t apply to evolution or atheists either, unless they happen to be Druids or Shaman or one of those other religions which don’t happen to include gods...
...In other words, faith assumes its own conclusions, believes impossible things without reason, and defends those beliefs against all reason to the contrary. So it can’t help but be wrong to some degree to start with, and any errors will never even be acknowledged, much less sought out or corrected. So that situation can never improve. However wrong it already is is however wrong it will forever be. So faith offers no way to discover the real truth about anything, but it’s a great way to stay wrong forever and never admit it –even to yourself...
...Science is completely opposite in every respect. Rather than any need-to-believe, science is driven by a desire to understand. And the only way to improve your understanding of anything is to seek out errors in our current position and correct them. You can’t do that if you claim your initial assumptions are already infallible, and you can’t even begin to seek the truth if you won’t admit that you might not already know it, or that you don’t know it all perfectly already.
All this stands completely counter to faith, and religious assumptions cannot withstand any of these rigors. But evolution can, and does, and has. For 150 years so far the greatest minds of the modern age have collectively failed to controvert the essence of evolution. It is a study which neither requires nor desires faith, and doesn’t even permit it, nor is it needed, because evolution is easily indicated and evidenced, measured and tested myriad ways without it –and even against the harshest scrutiny. And remember that evidence must be objective, meaning that it can still be verified whether you want to believe in it or not. Evolution has all that in spades, and is a unifying theory which has enhanced our knowledge of many different aspects of biology enormously, and that’s why so many religious as well as non-religious scientists endorse it.

http://darwinwasright.homestead.com/5thFFoC.html

18.gif

BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
'Five pillars of Islam' taught in public school
'Education practice wouldn't last 10 seconds if kids told to dress as priests'

Posted: October 10, 2006
1:00 am Eastern
By Bob Unruh
© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

Another school has been "teaching" Islam by having students study and learn Muslim prayers and dress as Muslims, and a lawyer who argued a previous dispute over this issue to the U.S. Supreme Court said such methodologies wouldn't "last 10 seconds" if it were Christianity being taught.

"Would it have been 'just cultural education' if students were in simulated baptisms, wearing a crucifix, having taken the name of St. John and with praise banners saying 'Praise be to Jesus Christ' on classroom walls?" asked Edward White III, of the Thomas More Law Center.

Supt. Don Grotting

His comments came after a new protest arose in Nyssa, Ore., where one parent raised objections when the Islamic teachings came to light. The district there, according to Supt. Don Grotting, is teaching a chapter in a history textbook "Journey Across Time" that talks about "how civilization has developed and some of the particular aspects of Islam."

"We teach out of the book, and there are some supplemental class activities," he told WND. "The kids do some skits, they could bring a food from the region, you could build a prop that would have depicted (something) maybe during that time period.

"If you wanted to you could dress up (as a Muslim) for extra credit," he said.

He said students also learned about the climate of the Middle East, the food and everyday activities of Islam, and the geography and the lay of the land.

Still another assignment was to learn the "five pillars" of Islam, study Ramadan and listen to guest speakers including an American Muslim who arrived dressed in her religious costume to talk to the kids about her Quran.

"She relayed to the kids, if you're a Christian you have your Bible, this is our Quran," Grotting said.

I hardly consider World net daily an unbiased (and credible) source; if it is true, and there is a slant 'favoring' Islam, then some corrections need to be made.

freeway01 said:
"MountainCappuccino"

Ok, its not on the bases that you say its not.. interesting.. See I thought anytime something could not be proven, and the searcher jumps to a self edifying conclusion and on the hopes others will "buy" into it ........well that religion...

as far as taking them out school and home schooling them.. why not just teach evolution as an elect... everybody happy............ most. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Agree!!
However, I dont mind quite so much that evolution is taught in schools, as that they are putting one very often disproved theory into truth and a source towards contradicting religion, then placed as religion. It is like pressing a form of ideal into a religious standing (because of its atheistic rutes, and its ability to kill all other religion), enforcing it upon students and making grades count upon it (not to mention your career as a doctor or scientist), and then saying it is only a theory when thye are teaching it as truth (soon to step back to the "theory" as soon as you question its validity to the teacher's faces). I dont understand why we must keep religion out of government, and yet government finds no wrong in imposing itself upon religion. That is my complaint.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back