Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Remember The Sabbath

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JohnDB

Since we have a current person running for the White House I thought it good to bring this subject up.

The SDA (brought into existence by Laurie White) teaches that the Sabbath Day is Saturday and that if we go to church on a regular basis it needs to be that day...
While they aren't wrong in attending that day of the week it isn't exactly what God had in mind when issuing that Commandment.

Lets look at the order of the commandments (decalogue).
The commandment right in front of it was all about God's name...
The commandment right after it is about obeying your parents. (more on this later)
Both of these came before the commandment about murder...as these are more important than not murdering people.

So what could be so special as to remembering God's name and what day of the week you could go to church or obeying your parents have to do with anything...and these commandments were capitol in justice as well. You violated these and you got removed permanently from the world.

But to understand these concepts you have to understand the Ancient Near East mindset of the Jews.

First off to abuse or misuse God's name is to try to change God's identity to those around you. OK...then if you believe in Holiness you understand that you have just set off a ton of dynamite while you are sitting on top of the pile...not a good idea to begin with. You don't mess with things that are holy. It will kill you without the proper respect shown or ignorance of it's power can inadvertently destroy you...either way it is not a good idea.

Then Children need to obey their parents. Now most of us are adults who now recognize that we had flawed parents. They were sinful but loved us. Although the world is filled with parents who did a lousy job of showing that love to their children too. They abuse and anger their children to no end. The Bible tells of Israelites who sacrificed their own children's virginity to worthless gods of their own making. Again more abuse...but if you crossed them you were to be killed? Again not what a truly loving God would have in mind.

Hebrew is a metaphoric language with so many idioms of speech it was hard to understand even if you did know the words. So what was God saying with these commandments that everyone had to follow?

First off Abraham was God's Friend. God came to Abraham's house to eat a meal. (which was tantamount to having a lifelong peace treaty with all of Abraham's household...and it was God's lifetime that was considered...not Abraham's as he was the one hosting the meal.)
So when it comes to understanding Hebrew there isn't any word for Grandfather...or even forefather. Only the word "Father" exists in that language...the same goes for "Mother". So when God told the Israelites to honor their Father and Mother He was referencing Abraham and Sarah. Be their kids...and remember YOUR heritage and who to be like. IOW remember your identity...

Now we come to the Commandment in the middle of these two majorly important Commandments all about the Sabbath Day.
Now notice that it is singular...not plural. There doesn't exist a singular meaning a plural in the Hebrew Language to begin with. (Look at Galatians 3:16 for further evidence of this) That is one of the oddities of Hebrew. A part of speech that didn't exist that we have in ours. (They usually have parts of speech that we don't in ours...but I'm digressing)

That means that God had in mind ONE DAY...a singular Day. And in this particular instance this "Day: was actually one single day and not a period of time. (usually the case)

Now Sabbath also means "cease" or to stop.
People weren't to do any work (with exceptions) on that particular day of the week or face dire consequences.

Now we, the Westernized Cultures, think of worship as something we attend or go and do for a set amount of time. We go to worship services, we worship for a period of time in our houses with song or prayers or bible study. The Ancient Jews didn't. Their whole lives were dedicated to worshipping God. From the clothes they wore to the food they ate to the holidays they observed and even the things they said were all governed by their worship of God.
God existed in time and in order to have a proper worship of God you must stretch the worship of God over a significant portion of it. So everyone was to behave as Abraham and Sarah did over the Eons and in that you could be recognized as being one of Abraham's children. you could have a peace treaty with God as such. You were a member of Abraham's household as you conduct your life as he would want you to.
Also since God was Holy Holy Holy you, as an average individual, couldn't have a personal relationship with Him. You had to gain access to God through others which were leaders in your family, community or city...or Nation. (The Priests and elders) You couldn't just pick up a Torah and begin reading it to someone who was unfamiliar with it and explain it all...you didn't have the right or the standing to do such. After all this was Holy Holy Holy stuff to repeat God's words to someone else. And not being given the right to do so would get you killed.

So...

ON the Day that Jesus paid for our Sins He also instituted a New Covenant with us all. He did it with His blood. Those in the past showed faith in the Messiah to come by taking that one day a week off. Those with no faith were removed from the gene pool. Even Jesus took the Nazarite vows (an abbreviated form of them) when facing his crucifixion...according to Jewish tradition. (yeah...its kinda odd that they who don't believe in Jesus would provide that tidbit)

And the word "remember" isn't exactly meaning to "recall" something to mind. It is a call to action...not a recalling to memory. God doesn't forget...ever so when you hear "remember your people" it isn't God forgot it is asking God to act on their behalf.

So what God was saying was that the Old Covenant was to stop and the New Covenant was to be introduced and that we now have Direct Access to God because of Jesus...and that the showing of faith in a messiah to come by going to church on Saturday wasn't going to work any longer because the Messiah has come.

The Old Testament...and especially the Torah is all about Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of Man, the Seed of the Woman, Abraham's Seed, the Seed of David, The Only Lord of the Sabbath to come...and I am so glad He did.

and He did it on The Sabbath Day, otherwise called Today...as in Today if you hear my voice do not harden your hearts....

Interesting post but this might not be the best forum .. so a heads up to the forum mods.. WIP Obadiah
The OP is certainly all over the place and doesn't follow the guidelines for OPs in this forum, but if those are to just be "guidelines" I'm not sure what can be done when a member refuses to be guided by them. I don't think I'm seeing any ToS violations.

All I can really do is ask that those responding please be aware of and respect the A&T guidelines in their responses.

The OP is certainly all over the place and doesn't follow the guidelines for OPs in this forum, but if those are to just be "guidelines" I'm not sure what can be done when a member refuses to be guided by them. I don't think I'm seeing any ToS violations.

All I can really do is ask that those responding please be aware of and respect the A&T guidelines in their responses.

Well I wasn't sure of which forum for this post. Since its basically a theological understanding I thought it would belong here. But if you feel it needs to be moved i can respect that decision too.

As it is I am not slandering anyone's denomination but sought to clarify my position and why we don't go to church on Saturday any longer. But possibly a new President might. With such in the White House questions of basics are asked and someone needs to have an answer. Here is mine I am willing to defend.

Interesting post but this might not be the best forum .. so a heads up to the forum mods.. WIP Obadiah
Just so I know...
What forum did you think that this one would be better suited for?
My thinking was that it was going to likely cause some heated discussion so I put it here...

I am sure this post will test the boundaries between discussion and debate.. lets remember we are in the Bible Study forum..

I have always known Father and Mother meant more than mom and dad.... but seeing what should have been obvious in writing was a DUH moment ..
So when God told the Israelites to honor their Father and Mother He was referencing Abraham and Sarah.

I am sure this post will test the boundaries between discussion and debate.. lets remember we are in the Bible Study forum..
Most of my theologoes, where not slanderous do usually become condemned by just about every one.

I'm sure you have thoughts concerning this post...just kinda curious about them. (Outside the proper forum placement)

I know that refuting it is tough as its pretty seamless...but I'm a big boy...*sniff sniff* I can take it

Does the OP fit the following criterion of A & T?
  • Original posts should reference specific scripture and what it is the member wants to say or ask about that scripture.
  • Subsequent responses either opposing or adding additional information should include references to specific supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation of the member's understanding of how that scripture applies.

a typo here ? and i am not being snarky
How do you mean?

It just isn't something done in their language like commonly used in English.

Even the One God is Elohim which is plural of Eloh (plural in Majesty). Like there is cherub vx cherubim or seraph vx seraphim or zera vx zerabim (seed/seeds)

These are often translated out (or in) and gone unseen when reading in English.

So most every time that this commandment is repeated The Sabbath Day (when belonging to God) is spoken of as a singular and not plural...meaning that there is only one day which God speaks of.

There doesn't exist a singular meaning a (of a) (or a) plural in the Hebrew Language to begin with.
The sentence does not read right to me?

I do understand what you are saying . i think i do.. but i can also see God set up a number of Sabbaths.

I do understand what you are saying . i think i do.. but i can also see God set up a number of Sabbaths.
How do you mean?
There were many festivals and holy days that people were not supposed to treat as ordinary days meaning they do no work.

But when stated as The Sabbath Day it meant the one day.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back