Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Roman Catholics pray to the wrong person

Is this prayer of giving your "whole being" to Mary blasphemy?

• Yes - it negates the need for Jesus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mission 3:16 said:
Gary said:
Roman Catholics pray to the wrong person

The "prayer" below is what a young girl I know has been taught to pray by the Roman Catholic "church". What blasphemy!

I may not go so far as to call it blasphemy, but I would say that I beleive that we are required to give our whole lives to God and focus on god alone. And worship no idols. Sorry to the catholics here, but I believe that worshiping mary is idolatry, whether she was Jesus' mother or not.

And with that, I bid you goodday, lol.

:)

That's good, because we don't 'worship' Mary.

I have snipped portions of Mary Ann Collin's article in sequence with the various headings. For a full reading of this article go to http://www.catholicconcerns.com/MaryWorship.html

Mary Worship?

A Study of Catholic Practice and Doctrine

by Mary Ann Collins (a former Catholic Nun)

INTRODUCTION

Jesus said that the truth will set us free. (John 8:32) However, He did not say that the truth would necessarily be easy to accept. It was painful for me to learn the information that I am about to share with you, but it was also liberating and it led to a closer relationship with God.

As a faithful Catholic, and later as a nun, I was devoted to Mary. The prayers and practices were so familiar. They were taught to me by sincere people. I prayed the rosary, including rosary novenas. I wore a Brown Scapular and a Miraculous Medal. (You can read about these things in the Glossary, which is Appendix C.) I visited shrines that honor Mary. I had beautiful statues of Mary. I attended special services where we prayed to Mary and recited a litany of titles honoring her. I read books about apparitions of Mary, and dreamed of visiting Lourdes and Fatima. I participated in processions honoring Mary. A statue of Mary was put on a platform that was decorated with flowers. There were poles on the platform, so that men could carry it. The men walked through the streets, carrying the statue on the platform. We walked behind the statue, singing songs in Mary’s honor.

Was this worship? At the time, that question never occurred to me. Now, looking back on what I did, I believe that it was.

If modern Catholic teachings and doctrines about Mary are true, then they will not be contrary to Scripture, the writings of the Early Fathers, or the decrees of past popes. For a devout Catholic to question these issues and put them to the test can be painful. It certainly was for me. However, it would be far more painful to have God correct us when we face Him on Judgment Day.

LETTING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
SPEAK FOR ITSELF

I believe in letting people speak for themselves. Therefore my primary sources about Catholic doctrines and history come from the Catholic Church.

First and foremost is the official "Catechism of the Catholic Church" which was written for the purpose of summarizing the essential and basic teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. It was approved by Pope John Paul II in 1992 and the English translation was released in 1994. The latest English edition was printed in 2000. Most of my other sources are either practicing Catholics or else former Catholics whose approach is loving and respectful and who have thoroughly documented their work.

The “Catechism of the Catholic Church †comes in numerous editions and languages. Because it has numbered paragraphs, statements can be accurately located in spite of the variety of editions. Therefore, when I cite the “Catechism,†I will give paragraph numbers rather than page numbers. That will enable you to find the information in any edition of the book. (Note 1)

WILL THE REAL CATHOLIC CHURCH
PLEASE STAND UP?

After years of no longer being a Catholic, I attended a Catholic funeral. When I went into the church something hit me hard. It had always been there, but I had never noticed it before because I was used to it. There were statues of Mary and the saints. They looked solid, real, as if they represented people of power. Jesus only appeared as a helpless baby in Mary’s arms, as a dead man nailed to a cross, and as little wafers of bread hidden inside a fancy box. Visually and emotionally the message was very clear -- if you want real power, if you want someone who can do something for you, then go to Mary and the Saints.

DEVOTION TO MARY

I have personally participated in American processions which honored Mary. We walked through the streets following a statue of Mary which was carried on a platform, high up where it was clearly visible. We sang songs in Mary’s honor. We prayed rosaries and other prayers to her. These were small processions. At Fatima, Portugal, crowds of over a million people gather on the anniversary of the apparition of Our Lady of Fatima. The celebration includes a procession of a million people following a statue of Mary and singing her praises. (Note 8)

One popular prayer in Mary’s honor is the "Hail Holy Queen," which is known in Latin as the "Salve Regina". It is traditionally included as part of praying the rosary.

For Catholics who are reading this, please try to overcome your familiarity with this text and really look at the words. Doesn’t this sound like worship?
  • "Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy! Our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping, in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary."
Pope Benedict XV said of Mary that "[O]ne can justly say that with Christ, she herself redeemed mankind." (Note 10) Pope Pius IX said: "Our salvation is based upon the holy Virgin... so that if there is any hope and spiritual healing for us we receive it solely and uniquely from her." (Note 11)

A lay movement called "Vox Populi" ("Voice of the People") gathers signed petitions to send to the Pope, seeking to have him officially declare that Mary is Co-Redemptrix. Over six million signatures have been sent to him, representing 138 countries and all seven continents. This doctrine is supported by over 40 cardinals and 600 bishops worldwide. (Note 12)

CATHOLIC DOCTRINES ABOUT MARY COMPARED
WITH WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION -- Mary was preserved from all stain of original sin from the first instant of her conception. ("Catechism" 490-492).

ALL-HOLY -- Mary, "the All-Holy," lived a perfectly sinless life. ("Catechism" 411, 493)

MOTHER OF GOD -- Because she is the mother of Jesus, and Jesus is God, therefore Mary is the Mother of God. ("Catechism" 963, 971, 2677).

MOTHER OF THE CHURCH -- Mary is the Mother of the Church. "Catechism" 963, 975).

ASSUMPTION -- At the end of her life, Mary was taken up ("assumed") body and soul into Heaven. ("Catechism" 966, 974)

CO-MEDIATOR -- Mary is the Co-Mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions. ("Catechism" 968-970, 2677)

QUEEN OF HEAVEN -- God has exalted Mary in heavenly glory as Queen of Heaven and earth. ("Catechism" 966) She is to be praised with special devotion. ("Catechism" 971, 2675)

COMPARING CATHOLIC TEACHINGS ABOUT MARY
WITH MODERN GODDESS WORSHIP

In the following table, I will compare Catholicism's version of Mary with the goddess who is worshiped by Wiccans and modern pagans. My reason for doing this is that Wiccans and modern pagans live in modern America. If I compared Catholic doctrine about Mary with the goddess worship of ancient civilizations, it would seem remote and far removed from the real world. It would seem like a legend instead of real life.

As we will see later in this article. Overt goddess worship has infiltrated a number of main-line Protestant denominations. There have been some conferences in which Catholics and representatives of various Protestant groups worshiped the goddess Sophia and openly said that Jesus Christ is irrelevant. (Later in this article I will give some detailed information about those conferences, along with Internet addresses of articles about them.)

All Christian groups need to guard against goddess worship. According to the Bible, God's people are not supposed to worship any other deities. The Old Testament prophets often rebuked the people of Israel for worshiping "foreign gods." The people who worshiped the goddess Sophia at those conferences were doing the same kind of thing that the ancient Israelites did. They claimed to be God's people, but they were worshiping a "foreign god." (In this case, a goddess rather than a god.)

The following table compares the Mary of Roman Catholic theology and religious practices with the Biblical portrayal of Mary and with the goddess who is worshipped by Wiccans. If you do an Internet search for “Queen of Heaven,†you will find two kinds of websites--Catholic and Wiccan. You can also find websites showing that Wiccans call themselves the “hidden children†of their goddess. (Note 17 tells how to find them.)

RC-0906001.gif

There are Wiccan web sites with web pages devoted to individual goddesses. The Virgin Mary is included among the goddesses of the following web sites: The Spiral Goddess Grove, The White Moon, and Goddess 2000. They consider Mary to be the "Divine Feminine" and say that for centuries, many people have "blended" their ancient goddesses with Mary. (Note 19)

KINDS OF WORSHIP

When asked about praying to Mary and the saints, I always used to say that actually I was just asking them to pray for me, like I would ask a friend. Well, that is not really accurate, because when I talk to my friends I am not talking to people who have died. Also, I just ask them directly for what I want. I would never begin talking to my friends by saying something like: “Hail holy Queen, mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve.â€Â

I personally participated in many kinds of Marian devotions. (“Marian†means something relating to the Virgin Mary.) I prayed the Rosary, which uses beads to keep track of the prayers. There are ten “Hail Mary’s†for every “Our Father†(the Lord’s Prayer). The words of the Hail Mary are: “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.â€Â

I wore the Brown Scapular (two pieces of cloth attached with strings, worn in honor of Mary). I also wore the Miraculous Medal. Both the Brown Scapular and the Miraculous Medal resulted from apparitions of Mary. There are special prayers associated with them. The apparitions of Mary promised to help people who were faithful to these devotions. I went to special services where we recited litanies (a series of titles honoring her), prayed to her, and sang songs in her honor, or else recited the words of the songs. I participated in a procession where people carried a statue of Mary, and we all followed it, singing songs in her honor. I visited several Marian shrines. I read books about apparitions of Mary, and dreamed of some day going to Lourdes.

I did not realize that what I was doing was actually a form of worship. I thought that it was pleasing to God. I thought that Jesus wanted us to honor His mother in this way.

CONCLUSION

Proverbs 14:12 says, "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." Our minds can be deceived and so can the minds of bishops and popes. Only the Bible is totally trustworthy. When religious traditions conflict with the plain meaning of Scripture then we need to discard those traditions. We cannot afford to do otherwise, because our eternal destiny is at stake.

The Apostles told the religious leaders of their day, "We ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29b) As an old hymn says, "On Christ the solid rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand."

If you are not persuaded that Catholicism encourages and even requires a level of "devotion" to Mary that really is a form of worship, then I challenge you to ask God what He thinks about it. If you are sincere in your prayer and open to letting God show you the truth, then He will.

GO Here for the NOTES

The entire article can be read at http://www.catholicconcerns.com/MaryWorship.html

Excerpts posted with written permission from Mary Ann Collins.

francisdesales said:
God, being love, allows man to share in redeeming and in sanctifying. That is what love does. It shares of itself with others!

Then why don't Catholics treat all dead Christians as they treat Mary?

Secondly, God is not a God of the dead but of the living. Certainly, you don't think that the two prophets whom Christ was conversing with on Mount Tabor were "dead men", now, do you? Certainly, God didn't conjer up dead men? Those IN Christ are alive.

God has always been able to resurrect anyone he wants. Moses and Elijah are special cases. God took them both, alive. It is reported that Moses died and was buried by God. But, Moses was also healthy, the only person in history to die without a cause of death. There is no report of Elijah dieing.

The attitude of the Bible toward Mary doesn't even begin to compare to the Bible's attutude toward Moses and Elijah.

Poke said:
francisdesales said:
God, being love, allows man to share in redeeming and in sanctifying. That is what love does. It shares of itself with others!

Then why don't Catholics treat all dead Christians as they treat Mary?
Not all Christians are the Theotokos ("God bearer"/Mother of the Lord/etc.). Big difference.

You know solo, I wish you would make your own posts instead of cutting and pasting articles I don't have the time to thoroughly address. Needless to say, everything Catholics think about Mary is biblical.

Every single bit.

francisdesales said:

You would be more credible if you addressed the points made rather than a typical ad hominem attack on the author. I suspect that you are probably more interested in keeping yourself in the Roman Catholic faith, and that is okay. Mary Ann Collins became born again and left the Roman Catholic Church and is now ministering to those whom God leads her way. God will tell you when he wants you to change. Hopefully you will take him up on it.

I have been to Mary Ann's site and have e-mailed her. She really has been through a lot. I don't know for sure, but what about babies that were killed years ago found in basements of the Orders. I azm sure glad I left the Catholic Church. I know much about this institution.

May God bless, golfjack

Solo said:
francisdesales said:

You would be more credible if you addressed the points made rather than a typical ad hominem attack on the author. I suspect that you are probably more interested in keeping yourself in the Roman Catholic faith, and that is okay. Mary Ann Collins became born again and left the Roman Catholic Church and is now ministering to those whom God leads her way. God will tell you when he wants you to change. Hopefully you will take him up on it.

Too bad she has to accomplish that by lying about what Catholics believe.

Re: reply

golfjack said:
I have been to Mary Ann's site and have e-mailed her. She really has been through a lot. I don't know for sure, but what about babies that were killed years ago found in basements of the Orders. I azm sure glad I left the Catholic Church. I know much about this institution.

What's wrong with the Catholic Church?

If babies were killed at an Order, then I'm sure you can post a news article about it and the police investigation. I didn't hear about it on the news, so it should like the same old hateful myths people have to make up to fight Catholicism.

Regarding Mary Ann Collins, the simple fact is that she demonstrates a lack of basic (and I mean BASIC) catechesis about Catholicism. I have a hard time believing her story when she can't even demonstrate that she was ever educated in the Catholic Faith. Even her biography spends more time ranting about bad priests than struggling with Catholic doctrine. She built up a hatred of Church members and then justified her hatred by inventing doctrine that she couldn't believe (which the Church doesn't even teach!).

stray bullet said:
Solo said:
francisdesales said:

Mary Ann Collins has given us her experience as a Roman Catholic nun in determining the faith in God that we all seek. Please be aware that she has documented her article provided with the following Roman Catholic Catechism and other documents.

Hopefully some research into the references that she has provided will help us all in our "studying to show yourself approved unto God" as Paul exhorts Timothy.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

Here are some of Mary Ann Collins' references and notes as indicated in her article:

“Catechism of the Catholic Church,†Washington, DC: U.S. Catholic Conference, 2000.

Heintz, Peter. “A Guide to Apparitions of Our Blessed Virgin Mary,†Part I, 20th Century Apparitions, Sacramento, California: Gabriel Press. This is a Catholic devotional book that covers 60 apparitions in detail. The book is out of print but you can get it at the following website:

[url="http://www.marianland.com/101books.html"]http://www.marianland.com/101books.html

Johnson, Paul, “A History of Christianity,†New York: Touchstone, Simon & Schuster, 1995. The author is a Catholic.

McCarthy, James G., “The Gospel According to Rome: Comparing Catholic Tradition and the Word of God,†Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House Publishers, 1995. The author is a former Catholic.

“Queenship Jubilee Year 2000 Catalog,†Queenship Marian Center for World Peace. This Catholic catalog has a section called “Vox Populi†where they promote books supporting the doctrine that Mary is our Advocate, Mediator, and Co-Redemptrix. They also promote petitions asking the Pope to officially give Mary those titles, and give information about the status of the petition.

Webster, William, “The Church of Rome at the Bar of History,†Carlisle, Pennsylvania: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1995. The author is a former Catholic.

Here are the End Notes of the Entire Article, "Mary Worship":

Notes

1. The “Catechism of the Catholic Church †comes in numerous editions and languages. Because it has numbered paragraphs, statements can be accurately located in spite of the variety of editions. You can get the book in regular bookstores and at Amazon.com.2. Paul Johnson, “A History of Christianity,†page 308. Paul Johnson is a Catholic.

3. Peter Heintz, “A Guide to Apparitions of Our Blessed Virgin Mary,†pages 151-164. The author is a Catholic. The following web site gives a brief summary of the events, including the rose petals, but it fails to mention the forceful Church politics involved:

http://198.62.75.1/www1/apparitions/pr00013.htm

4. James G. McCarthy, “The Gospel According to Rome: Comparing Catholic Tradition and the Word of God,†pp. 181-184; 199-200.

5. A picture of Pope John Paul II kneeling in front of a statue of Our Lady of Fatima. Notice that the statue is wearing a crown.

http://www.harpazo.net/images/consecrationSM.jpg

If you do an “image†search at Google, you should find some pictures of Our Lady of Fatima wearing a gold crown. Go to Google’s home page. You will see some words that are underlined. Click on “Images.†Then search for “Our Lady of Fatimaâ€Â.

http://www.Google.com

6. Joan Carrol Cruz, “Miraculous Images of Our Lady: 100 Famous Catholic Portraits and Statues.†Following page 238 there are 32 pages with full color pictures, numbered 328-1, 328-2, etc. Statue of Our Lady of the Rosary, color picture on page 238-18, text and 2 black-and-white pictures on pages 367-372. Statue of Our Lady of the Forsaken, color picture on page 238-22, text and 1 black-and-white picture on pages 419-421. Statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe, color picture on page 238-16, text and 1 black-and-white picture on pages 407-409. Picture of Our Lady of Kazan, color picture on page 238-15, text and 1 black-and-white picture on pages 297-400. Statue of Our Lady of Alotting, color picture on page 238-10, text and 3 black-and-white pictures on pages 115-119. Statue of Our Lady of the Pillar, color pictures on pages 238-2 and 238-7. (The picture on 238-7 is a close-up of the crown and sunburst, showing the jewels clearly.) Text and 4 black-and-white pictures are on pages 401-406.

7. Jim Tetlow, “Messages from Heaven,†page 7. (The author is a former Catholic.)

8. Jim Tetlow, page 7.

9. William Webster, “The Church of Rome at the Bar of History,†page 87.

10. In the Encyclical “Intersodalicia†(1918). Quoted in Donald G. Bloesch, “Essentials of Evangelical Theology,†Volume 1, page 196.

11. In the Encyclical of February 2, 1849. Quoted in Donald G. Bloesch, “Essentials of Evangelical Theologyâ€Â, Volume 1, page 196.

12. “Queenship Jubilee Year 2000 Catalog,†page 92. This is a catalog of the Queenship Marian Center for World Peace, which promotes the doctrine of Mary as Advocate, Mediator, and Co?Redemptrix. It also promotes the petition. The catalog gives information about the petition's progress, and about church leaders who support the doctrine.

13. William Webster, “The Church of Rome at the Bar of History,†pages 72-77.

14. William Webster, pages 79-80.

15. William Webster, pages 81-85.

16. Philip G. Davis, “Goddess Unmasked: The Rise of Neopagan Feminist Spirituality,†pages 29-33. The author is a university professor who wrote this book because of his concern about Wiccan teaching at his university.

17. If you do an Internet search for “Queen of Heaven,†you will find two kinds of websites--Catholic and Wiccan. I also did a search for “hidden children†+ “Queen of Heaven†and found a number of Wiccan websites. A search for “hidden children†+ “goddess†also led to Wiccan websites. So Wiccans consider themselves to be the hidden children of their goddess.

18. Philip G. Davis, pages 3-4 and 28-29.

David Runnion-Bareford, “Uncloseting the Goddess: A Look at Emerging Feminist, Neo-Paganism in the Church through the Open Door of Re-Imagining†(Candia, NH: Biblical Witness Fellowship, 1994). You can read this book online.

http://www.biblicalwitness.org/uncloseting.htm

An on-line report (with photographs) of the 1998 conference.

http://www.layman.org/layman/news/reima ... evival.htm

19. Wiccan websites that feature Mary as a goddess.

http://www.goddess2000.org/Mary.html
http://www.thewhitemoon.com/mary/main.html
http://www.spiralgoddess.com/Mary.html

20. William Webster, “The Church of Rome at the Bar of History,†pages 22-33. For a description of how pious practices can become official Catholic doctrine, and how this conflicts with both Scripture and the writings of the Early Fathers, see James G. McCarthy, “The Gospel According to Rome: Comparing Catholic Tradition and the Word of God,†pages 281-309.

21. William Webster, pages 34-55.

22. William Webster, pages 56-63.

23. William Webster, pages 63-71.

24. Gerald E. Aardsma, “Geocentricity and Creation,†“Vital Articles on Science/Creation†July 1994. Information about Aristotle's influence on Thomas Aquinas comes from a class on Metaphysics which I took at a Catholic college.

25. “Ineffabilis Deus†(“Apostolic Constitution on the Immaculate Conceptionâ€Â). Encyclical of Pope Pius IX issued December 8, 1854. Near the end of this papal bull there is a section entitled “The Definitionâ€Â. The statements that I described are in the last paragraph of that section. You can read this encyclical online. If the following links don’t work, then do an Internet search for “Ineffabilis Deusâ€Â.

http://www.newadvent.org/docs/pi09id.htm
http://www.geocities.com/papalencyclica ... 9ineff.htm

26. Paul Johnson, “A History of Christianity,†page 308.

27. James G. McCarthy, “The Gospel According to Rome: Comparing Catholic Tradition and the Word of Godâ€Â, pages 181-184 and 199-200.

28. This video covers a broad range of topics, including Mary. The producer is a former Catholic.

29. Jim Tetlow, “Messages from Heaven,†pages 3-7. Jim Tetlow also produced a video with the same title. If you can afford to get both, I recommend it. The book gives a lot of information and it is thoroughly documented. The author is a former Catholic.

30. Video, “Messages from Heaven,†produced by James Tetlow. You can watch it online.

http://www.harpazo.net/EternalProductio ... onsofMary/

31. Some Catholic devotional practices and beliefs about Mary

Quotations from popes who exalted Mary.

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/IMARY.html

Mary’s Names and Titles

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/MNames.html

The Rosary

[ur="http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/Rosary.html"]http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/Rosary.html[/url]

The Litany

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/Litany.html

Dr. Ken Lawson, “Mary Around the World.†(A series of articles about cultural devotion to Mary).

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/MaryLawson.html

Excerpts from some Catholic articles about Mary.

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/RCA.html

stray bullet said:
Solo said:
francisdesales said:

This is not a debate, or a name calling session, only a discussion of whether the Roman Catholic faith is praying and worshipping Mary, and where this practice comes from, if it is done. A balanced review of all information is necessary when researching a topic such as this. May God lead us all into his truth. Amen.

Ms. Collins' article aside (since we won't agree on whether or not her testimony is credible... people who refuse to give out evidence (i.e., name of the convent, years she was there, etc.) when making strong claims usually have something to hide), there's a basic question underlying these concerns...

Do Catholics think Mary is God? No. There is not one excerpt from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, any papal encyclical, or even a Conciliar document that comes anywhere near such an absurd notion. Mary is but a creature of her Creator. Even "Vox Populi" will tell you as much.

As to seeking the intercession of Mary (or any other Saint in Heaven), Catholics and Protestants view the Body of Christ (/the Church) differently. Catholics see the Church as a single, united Body (and while there is distinction between those in Heaven and those on earth, we are all united in Christ Jesus because we are members of His Body). Protestants separate the Church in Heaven from the earthly Church completely (the Body is somehow disconnected in some sense), and there is no communion between the two. This fundamental difference in understanding the Church lies at the heart of this concern about Catholicism. Protestants think of necromacy (because of the separation), and Catholics think of communion and the unity and oneness of the Christ's Body (/the Church). Catholics do not believe that they are praying to "dead people". Catholics see those in Heaven as more alive than we are on earth because they are more intimately united with Christ by being free from earthly temptations and sin (because there is no sin in Heaven). But Catholics do not confuse Mary or the Saints in Heaven with God. We (Catholics) do manage to distinguish the Creator from His creation.

Thanks for the input CatholicXian. Mary Ann Collins has her very interesting biography at http://www.catholicconcerns.com/Bio.html and the reason that she has not given out any personal information is stated in her biography as follows:
  • "My pastor and my father have both advised me not to give out personal information. This biography is an attempt to share my heart and my life within the framework of their advice."
She is following her pastor's and father's advice, two principle overseers in her life.

Here is a letter that Mary Ann Collins wrote to her readers at http://www.catholicconcerns.com/Reader.html

A Personal Letter to the Reader

Dear Reader,

You may wonder why I created this website. The answer is really quite simple. I love Jesus. He is amazing. His love and His faithfulness are beyond our comprehension. I can't begin to tell you how much my life has changed because Jesus Christ is now my Lord and my Savior. And because Jesus is so wonderful, I want you to know Him, too.

When I was a Catholic, my Catholic training made it difficult for me to understand who Jesus is and how much He loves me. I loved Jesus, but I was confused because of some of the things I had been taught. If you have the same problem, then I want to help remove some of that confusion, so that you can know Jesus better.

If you are not a Catholic, but you have Catholic friends or family members, then I want to help you understand them better.

I believe that there are two kinds of people in this world -- those who know Jesus Christ, and those who have the potential to know Him. We should love people in the first group because they are our brothers and sisters in Christ. And we should love people in the second group because they need to see the love of God in us and through us. It is the goodness of God that leads people to repentance. (Romans 2:4) When Christians are loving, it demonstrates God's goodness.

An example of this is Corrie Ten Boom, a Dutch woman whose family hid Jews during the Second World War. A man betrayed her family and reported them to the Nazis. Corrie's father died in prison. Corrie and her sister Betsie were sent to a death camp. Betsie died there but Corrie survived. She found out that the man who betrayed her family was in prison and was scheduled to be executed. She wrote to that man. She told him that she forgave him. And she told him about Jesus. He wrote back to Corrie saying that if she could forgive him after what he had done, then he wanted to know her God.

I hope that this website will be a blessing to you. If you disagree with me, that's OK. We don't have to agree. But we should love and respect one another.

May the Lord bless you and guide you. And may He give you a revelation of how much He loves you.

Mary Ann Collins

I read her websites and disclaimers, but if she is unwilling to provide credentials then it seems she ought to just leave that part out. Is her being a "former nun" (who never made vows) pertinent to her claims against Catholicism? Does being a "former nun" (who never made vows) entitle her to some super understanding of Catholic doctrine that the average lay Catholic can't find?

If she's been advised not to give out personal information, then I wonder she takes the trouble at all to mention her former state? It begs the questions that follow... which order? when? for how long? If she is unwilling to answer them (advice or not) than she ought not constantly include such information as begs the question(s).

CatholicXian said:
I read her websites and disclaimers, but if she is unwilling to provide credentials then it seems she ought to just leave that part out. Is her being a "former nun" (who never made vows) pertinent to her claims against Catholicism? Does being a "former nun" (who never made vows) entitle her to some super understanding of Catholic doctrine that the average lay Catholic can't find?

If she's been advised not to give out personal information, then I wonder she takes the trouble at all to mention her former state? It begs the questions that follow... which order? when? for how long? If she is unwilling to answer them (advice or not) than she ought not constantly include such information as begs the question(s).
In regard to your inquisition into Mary Ann Collins' position and experience that allows her to write articles which pertain to the Roman Catholic faith, I am posting this article that she has at her website in regards to her position of what individuals do with the information that she provides. This is the last off topic post that I will post on this thread. If further information is needed, I will post on a new thread. Thanks.

For the Record

Mary Ann Collins
(A Former Catholic Nun)

December 2004
Revised March 2006

Some people have asked me why I didn’t stay in the Catholic Church. As you will see if you read my articles, the Roman Catholic Church teaches a number of things that are contrary to Scripture. And these teachings are central to Catholicism. They aren’t something peripheral, on the fringes. They are right at the heart of Catholicism. I cannot remain in an institution that is based on teachings that are contrary to what the Bible clearly says.

However, I respect people who stay in the Catholic Church. And I hope that God will bless them where they are. My primary concern is that people know and love Jesus Christ, and have a heart to serve and obey Him. If they do, then God is able to show them where they should go to church. So I leave that matter between them and God.

I have corresponded with many Catholics. I give them historical and doctrinal facts about Catholicism, but they have to decide what to do with that information. If they decide to leave the Catholic Church, it has to be based on their convictions -- not mine.

There are two reasons why I do not attempt to persuade people to leave the Catholic Church.

First is my respect for the fact that God has given people free will. When some of Jesus’ disciples left Him because of a “hard teaching†that He had given, Jesus did not try to persuade the twelve Apostles to remain with Him. He just asked them whether they also wanted to leave. He left them free to make their own decision, with no pressure. (John 6:66-68) I have followed Jesus’ example. I give people information and I trust that God will show them what to do about it.

Second is the fact that we are all personally accountable to God for our own relationship with Him, and for the decisions that we make about Him, our church affiliation, etc. I can give information. If people ask for advice, I can make suggestions. But people have to pray and make their own decisions. I cannot (and will not) take responsibility for someone else’s life.

My website deals with issues involving Catholicism because, with my background as a devout Catholic, and my training and experience as a nun, that is the area that I understand. In addition, over the years I have gained some practical insights about it that have been helpful for some people.

However, I am acutely aware that there are some Protestant churches that have serious problems. For example, I have an elderly friend who has attended the same church for decades. It used to be a solid Christian church, but over the years its teachings have wandered further and further away from what the Bible says. (If you want information about such things, read “Pagans in the Pews†by Peter Jones or “A Time of Departing†by Ray Yungen.)

USE OF THIS ARTICLE
I encourage you to link to this article. You have permission to quote from this article, as long as you do it fairly and accurately. You have permission to make copies of this article for friends and for use in classes.

My website deals with issues involving Catholicism because, with my background as a devout Catholic, and my training and experience as a nun, that is the area that I understand.
She never substantiates this claim. She uses it to "buff up" her "credentials" for her understanding of the Catholic faith, but she refuses to back up this claim with any evidence. Would her being a "former nun" grant her some deeper understanding of intercessory prayer (now it's on topic still :) ) that lay Catholics wouldn't otherwise have access to? Why is her (mis)interpretation of Catholicism more true than the context from which the documents of the Catholic faith arose?

Solo said:

Solo,

I didn't make any "ad hominem" attacks. When did I call Ms. Collins any names?

I sincerely doubt her "argument from authority" that she claims, as a simpleton like me, hardly educated in the Catholic faith, can refute her soundly. For you, it is easy to cut and paste. But all of these arguments have been discussed before. Perhaps if you'd like, I can address them one at a time. But I have no time to address a dozen phony claims with a long post generated from ME (rather than some scree that I cut and paste) that you will promptly ignore.

Again, her arguments are typical Protestant fodder. I have heard them all before dozens of times. Poor Scripture interpretation. Lack of knowledge that Catholics do NOT hold Scripture as the sole source of faith. Comments that are not true. Having no idea what WORSHIP IS! Anyone can cite the Catholic Catechism as a reference at the end of her article, but it is apparent she never actually read it. When does she actually cite it in her article? When does she quote from it? The Catechism itself refutes her claims. And really, a picture of Mary wearing a crown means NOTHING. Kings also wear crowns - are they also worshipped as God?

Many of the other sources are Protestant! Why the heck would I go to a Protestant apologest IF I WAS A FORMER NUN???!!! Ridiculous. Why would someone have to go to an outsider to form arguments that supposedly led this woman out of the faith?

I remained unconvinced that this "lady" was even a nun.

If you'd like, we can discuss the issues between the two of us. But don't bother with long-winded pasty jobs. No one reads them because they are not from you. Let's hear what YOU have to say, not what someone else thinks.

Regards

966 "Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things, so that she might be the more fully conformed to her Son, the Lord of lords and conqueror of sin and death."[506] The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin is a singular participation in her Son's Resurrection and an anticipation of the resurrection of other Christians:
In giving birth you kept your virginity; in your Dormition you did not leave the world, O Mother of God, but were joined to the source of Life. You conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death.[507]

According to Catholic Catechism 966, Mary was born sinless, and was taken body and soul into heaven, exalted to the position as Queen over all things; with the ability to deliver our souls from death by her prayers. Where is this revealed to us in the scriptures?

Back