Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sabbath to Sun-day

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
T

TheStudent3000

why and when was the christian holy day changed from the sabbath as jews observed to sunday?

Because they adapted everything cult-based from Sun worship (Sol Invictus religion), be it Christmass date, be it Easter date - every single date is taken from Sol Invictus religion (which was praising Iulius Caesar as incarnation of Sun uner the name of Divus Iulius, sounds familliar?).

Sunday/Sonntag is the day of Sun, every synonymous of god Ra from Egypt (Apollo being Greek counterpart). They switched to Sunday because they were pagans, not Jews. You can't simply make people worship diffrent God, they worshipped Iulius under the name of Jesus, even his story was simmilar. :wink:

I have been reading through the first five books of the bible and there are other "sabbaths" that was commanded to be holy that aren't kept today. Such as, every 7th month was to be holy and no work be done. Every seventh year was to be holy and no work was done. I guess the same question applies, when and why did we stop? I myself could handle an entire year of vacation :tongue .

KaerbEmEvig, do you have any kind of documentation to back up what you are saying?

But Sabbath is always the seventh day, and seventh day, even to Christianity, is Saturday and not Sunday, is it that hard to understand?=O

I'm familiar with the concept of the sabbath was on a saturday according to the JEWISH calender. But does our sunday fall on their saturday if you do the conversion? I was asking for documentation of the following I quoted from you that I have in bold. You seem very knowledgable of that subject and I was just asking for documentation(website, book, etc) where you got that information. Also, does GOD really want that particular day to be holy, or just that we leave a day out for him? Keeping the sabbath holy and resting is a rememberance of when GOD created all living things, "and on the seventh day, he rested". GOD did not have a calender then. Just a thought.

KaerbEmEvig said:
Because they adapted everything cult-based from Sun worship (Sol Invictus religion), be it Christmass date, be it Easter date - every single date is taken from Sol Invictus religion (which was praising Iulius Caesar as incarnation of Sun uner the name of Divus Iulius, sounds familliar?).

Sunday/Sonntag is the day of Sun, every synonymous of god Ra from Egypt (Apollo being Greek counterpart). They switched to Sunday because they were pagans, not Jews. You can't simply make people worship diffrent God, they worshipped Iulius under the name of Jesus, even his story was simmilar. :wink:

I'm familiar with the concept of the sabbath was on a saturday according to the JEWISH calender. But does our sunday fall on their saturday if you do the conversion?

There's no conversion. Jews do not use names of days of the week the same as you do, the only way our concept of Saturday Sabbath orignated is by studying their calendar - through this modern Wester World Jews know that Sabbath is on the Saturday, also - even Christians consider Sunday to be the first day of week - so I don't understand what you are talking about.

I was asking for documentation of the following I quoted from you that I have in bold. You seem very knowledgable of that subject and I was just asking for documentation(website, book, etc) where you got that information

Sun Mythology compared with Christianity.

http://members.cox.net/deleyd/religion/solarmyth/christ2002.htm

This is not Jesus, that's Apollo - looks familliar? Yup, it does.

366px-Apollonmosaic.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios

This is Mithraism. Looks familliar, too.

http://www.answers.com/topic/mithraism

Jesus and other Sons of God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_myth

Constantinian Shift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantinian_shift

Shabbath, what it was - and what it has been turned into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath

Is it enough of documentation for you?

Also, does GOD really want that particular day to be holy, or just that we leave a day out for him? Keeping the sabbath holy and resting is a rememberance of when GOD created all living things, "and on the seventh day, he rested". GOD did not have a calender then. Just a thought.

It is said we should observe Shabbath on the seventh day (to be exact: from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset). Christians view Saturday as the seventh day of the week, thus they should observe Saturday as Shabbath, not diffrently - Sunday.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pgwhacker/ChristianOrigins/

Pagan origins of Christian culture.

I think that maybe some put too much thought into all this. The Sabbath is the seventh day, which for most of us is Saturday (named after Saturn, a Roman God). In the latin world, Monday is the first day (Lunes) so that Sunday would be their seventh day.(Sunday's origins already been discussed on this thread). :wink: (Please don't take my post serious)

ChristineES said:
I think that maybe some put too much thought into all this. The Sabbath is the seventh day, which for most of us is Saturday (named after Saturn, a Roman God). In the latin world, Monday is the first day (Lunes) so that Sunday would be their seventh day.(Sunday's origins already been discussed on this thread). :wink: (Please don't take my post serious)

No, in the latin world monday is the second day because otherwise we would not come to conclussion why would Jewish Sabbath be on 'Saturday' and not Sunday since Jews did not use wester days of week names.

KaerbEmEvig said:

No, actually, it was moved because Christ was raised from the dead on a Sunday. The first record of this takes place in 1 Corinthians.

The Easter date has nothing to do with paganism. What on Earth pagan holiday was celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon in Spring (related to Passover)?

You don't move most important holiday because of an idol... Even, if you consider him God, which is blasphemy according to OT, you just can't move it for such a reason, you can't move it at all.

If you know nothing about paganis, or religions et al - it seems, don't speak of them because you look like a complete idiot and ignorant.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/festivals/easter/is_easter_pagan.htm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/easter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_controversy

Read this before you feel like making yourself look like an idiot more.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

Sehad wrote:
I have been reading through the first five books of the bible and there are other "sabbaths" that was commanded to be holy that aren't kept today. Such as, every 7th month was to be holy and no work be done. Every seventh year was to be holy and no work was done. I guess the same question applies, when and why did we stop? I myself could handle an entire year of vacation J
I'm familiar with the concept of the sabbath was on a saturday according to the JEWISH calender. But does our sunday fall on their saturday if you do the conversion? I was asking for documentation of the following I quoted from you that I have in bold. You seem very knowledgable of that subject and I was just asking for documentation(website, book, etc) where you got that information. Also, does GOD really want that particular day to be holy, or just that we leave a day out for him? Keeping the sabbath holy and resting is a rememberance of when GOD created all living things, "and on the seventh day, he rested". GOD did not have a calender then. Just a thought.

The seventh day has been the seventh day since the creation week. You don’t need a calendar for that, just 6 marks and a line. Since the Sabbath was given to Adam to observe, and the faithful have been doing it since creation, I guess we know what day is the seventh. The rotation of the earth is set to God’s time not the other way around. I guess he wanted us to be synchronized to his watch. I would also guess it was so that we would know when to expect the Messiah. Some wise men actually were looking for that event and followed the star to Bethlehem. I suppose if we were wise we could figure an approximate date for his return, but I don’t think we should put ourselves under the Jewish laws. Paul warned about that in Gal 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

The Sabbath day is fine to observe since it was made for man right from week 1. We need a day of rest to reflect on the greatness of God. 8-) Most of us could use 6 days of labor too.
:wink:

KaerbEmEvig said:
You don't move most important holiday because of an idol... Even, if you consider him God, which is blasphemy according to OT, you just can't move it for such a reason, you can't move it at all.

If you know nothing about paganis, or religions et al - it seems, don't speak of them because you look like a complete idiot and ignorant.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/festivals/easter/is_easter_pagan.htm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/easter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_controversy

Read this before you feel like making yourself look like an idiot more.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

What does it say about someone that removes himself from a discussion by posting links- acting as though they totally and completely address the previous post?

You're links aren't a rebuttle to anything I said in my post. If you believe they are, then quote the relevant sections of the articles and we'll discuss them from there.

stray bullet said:
No, actually, it was moved because Christ was raised from the dead on a Sunday. The first record of this takes place in 1 Corinthians.

Sunday as a day of worship or Sabbath replacement did not occur in the NT at all, stray bullet. The earliest accounts of desiring to replace Sabbath with Sunday were done by Justin Martyr and Barnabas around 150 A.D. Sabbath was not an issue for Christians even then as the head Christian church in Jerusalem kept Sabbath for centuries.

Even new covenant Christians who claim that there is no day holy as Jesus is our Sabbath rest claim that if you were going to have to follow a holy day, according to the Bible, both OT and NT, it would be Sabbath and not Sunday.

It is gratuitous assumption and poor hermeneutics to determine that the NT preaches Sunday worship in place of Sabbath. Sunday Sabbatarians should let it rest and join either the NC theology or Sabbatarians in their views.

Wasn't part of Jesus's teachings that the scribes and Pharisees were too much into the tradition and what the law says as opposed to why it was said? I understand that we do not hold the same day as the sabbath, but does it matter? Was GOD saying hold THIS DAY holy or was he simply saying to remember creation and reflect on who he is? Also, it seems that everyone is hung up on the fact that we hold the sabbath as a sunday now instead of saturday as the Jews did. What about the seventh year that was to be held holy? What about the seventh month that was to be held holy? What about the year of jubilee that was supposed to be practiced? What about the week of the passover feast that was commanded to be done? Why not bring those up also? Why just the discussion about what day we're supposed to go to church?

sehad said:
Wasn't part of Jesus's teachings that the scribes and Pharisees were too much into the tradition and what the law says as opposed to why it was said? I understand that we do not hold the same day as the sabbath, but does it matter? Was GOD saying hold THIS DAY holy or was he simply saying to remember creation and reflect on who he is? Also, it seems that everyone is hung up on the fact that we hold the sabbath as a sunday now instead of saturday as the Jews did. What about the seventh year that was to be held holy? What about the seventh month that was to be held holy? What about the year of jubilee that was supposed to be practiced? What about the week of the passover feast that was commanded to be done? Why not bring those up also? Why just the discussion about what day we're supposed to go to church?

Does anyone ever actually read these things? No, I didn’t think so. Ok, once again with feeling:

The seventh day has been the seventh day since the creation week. You don’t need a calendar for that, just 6 marks and a line. Since the Sabbath was given to Adam to observe, and the faithful have been doing it since creation, I guess we know what day is the seventh. The rotation of the earth is set to God’s time not the other way around. I guess he wanted us to be synchronized to his watch. I would also guess it was so that we would know when to expect the Messiah. Some wise men actually were looking for that event and followed the star to Bethlehem. I suppose if we were wise we could figure an approximate date for his return,

but I don’t think we should put ourselves under the Jewish laws. Paul warned about that in Gal 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

The Sabbath day is fine to observe since it was made for man right from week 1. We need a day of rest to reflect on the greatness of God.
Most of us could use the 6 days of labor too. :wink:

Sehad has a point I didn't cover though. Does it matter? If it matters to you, you do what you believe is right, for to go against your conscience is sin. Be fully persuaded in your own mind. Personally, I think if you're going to obey God, you should do what he says. :wink:

To those who keep the Sabbath, do you circumcise instead of baptise? Do you avoid pork and check your garments for mixed fibers? And is Sabbath made for man or is man made for the Sabbath?

Col. 2:16-17
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

sehad said:
Wasn't part of Jesus's teachings that the scribes and Pharisees were too much into the tradition and what the law says as opposed to why it was said? I understand that we do not hold the same day as the sabbath, but does it matter? Was GOD saying hold THIS DAY holy or was he simply saying to remember creation and reflect on who he is? Also, it seems that everyone is hung up on the fact that we hold the sabbath as a sunday now instead of saturday as the Jews did. What about the seventh year that was to be held holy?

Why?

"For in six days God made the heavens and the earth and God rested from all the work which he had made and rested the seventh day, wherefore God hallowed and blessed the Sabbath"

The simple fact that the seventh day is part of creation week and was MADE for being the Sabbath after the first six days which were made for work. The day itself (the seventh day) was 'blessed' 'set apart' and made holy. The seventh day is called 'My Holy day' by God. It was not the principle of Sabbath keeping that this applied to, it was the seventh day itself.

Anybody who says 'it doesn't matter which day it is' is not following the bible. You'd be better off believing that any Sabbath was done away with completely.

ChristineES said:
I think that maybe some put too much thought into all this. The Sabbath is the seventh day, which for most of us is Saturday (named after Saturn, a Roman God)....
Good point. If we are guily of worshipping a Sun god (which is SO untrue) those who worship on Saturday could be accused of worshipping the Roman god of Time. The Sabbath, first and foremost, is about rest and reflection; a day set aside to give thanks and praise to the LORD. The fact that it was deemed a day of Holy Convocation does not take away from the fact that there was NO command to not worship other days as well.

stray bullet said:
...The Easter date has nothing to do with paganism. What on Earth pagan holiday was celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon in Spring (related to Passover)?
The date has nothing to do with it, but the name does. Easter is the name derived from the goddess Eostre. The name of the holiday in which the pagans celetrated this goddess translates to the name easter. The name (and holiday) was incorporated into Christianity in an effort to "lure" pagans into the Faith, by combining their beliefs with the day we celebrate Jesus' resurrection.

We begin with the premise that the Bible doesn't actually teach that we are to meet on the seventh day of the week. Rather, it teaches that we are to meet on the seventh day (without the qualification "of the week"). The Hebrew Old Testament normally uses the unqualified phrase "the seventh day" to refer to days which were not the seventh day of the month, and which could not possibly have fallen on the same day of the week from year to year (e.g. Exod. 12:15,16; 13:6; Lev. 23:6-8; 13:5,6,27,32,34,51; 14:9,39; Num. 6:9; 7:1-48; 19:12,19; 28:17-25; 31:19,24; Deut. 16:1-8; Josh. 6:4,15; Judg. 14:12-18; 2 Sam. 12:18; 1 Kgs. 20:29; Est. 1:10). These uses of the phrase (by far the majority of its uses in the Old Testament) appear simply to mean "seven days later." Moreover, there were some Sabbaths that were not on the seventh day (e.g. Lev. 23:27-32,39)

Similarly, in Exodus 16 where God commanded the Israelites to observe the Sabbath in the wilderness, he indicated which day would be the Sabbath not by referring to days of the week, but by telling them to count the days on which they received manna (Exod. 16:4-5,22-23). The Bible does not say that they began to receive manna on the first day of the week, but marks the time from "the fifteenth day of the second month after their departure from Egypt" (Exod. 16:1). We do not possess an ancient Hebrew calendar, and we do not know on which day the Sabbath fell in the wilderness. In fact, it is entirely possible that the Hebrews did not determine which day the Sabbath was by looking at the calendar to find the seventh day of the week, but instead determined the seventh day of the week by first determining when the Sabbath was.

Assessing all the occurences of "seventh day" in the Old Testament, and looking at the institution of the Sabbath, it seems that the Old Testament does not clearly teach that the Sabbath is to be observed on the seventh day of the week -- or at least that the calendar week is not to be used to determine which day is the seventh.

In the New Testament, the Jews celebrated the Sabbath on what was generally recognized as the seventh day of the week (Matt. 28:1; Mark. 16:1-2; Luke 23:56-24:1), and Jesus recognized their choice of days (e.g. Matt. 12:1-13; Luke 13:14-16). However, neither Jesus nor any other New Testament writer indicated that the Sabbath day always had to fall on the seventh day of the week as determined by any regular calendar.

Based on this thinking, the New Testament church, under the guidance of the Apostles, apparently felt the freedom to change the day of observance relative to the secular calendar. They still maintained the commanded six-day-plus-one pattern, but shifted their Sabbath observance to the first day of the week relative to the secular calendar. They chose this day most probably because it was the day on which Jesus had been raised from the dead (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2; Luke 25:1; John 20:1). The risen Lord also chose the first day of the week on which to manifest himself to his disciples when they were gathered together (John 20:19,26). In any event, it seems that the first day of the week probably came to be known as the "Lord's Day" (Rev. 1:10), and seems to have been the day on which the church gathered with the approval of the Apostles (Acts 20:7). There does not appear to be any evidence in the New Testament that the early church felt compelled to observe the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath, and there is some possible evidence that Paul taught that Christians were not obligated to observe that particular day (Col. 2:16).

In conclusion, the practice of Sunday observance is based first on the understanding that the Bible does not command observance on the seventh day of the calendar week, and second on church tradition established under the approval of the Apostles.

Answer by Ra McLaughlin

vic said:
stray bullet said:
...The Easter date has nothing to do with paganism. What on Earth pagan holiday was celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon in Spring (related to Passover)?
The date has nothing to do with it, but the name does. Easter is the name derived from the goddess Eostre. The name of the holiday in which the pagans celetrated this goddess translates to the name easter. The name (and holiday) was incorporated into Christianity in an effort to "lure" pagans into the Faith, by combining their beliefs with the day we celebrate Jesus' resurrection.

vic, the name of the holiday is PASCHA. The Catholic and Orthodox Chruches call it by that name, in their native languages.

Romans didn't speak English- Easter is an English word "Estre"- from a pagan goddess of the rising light of day and spring. The German word is Ostra, which the English derived it from.

The Catholic Church doesn't speak English or German- who translated the name of the holiday from pagan holidays.

Easter has nothing to do with anything pagan.

Back