Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Salvation....Paul vs God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi Georges - others probably know but may I ask how you classify yourself. I mean what faith / religion / sect do you identify with.

Thanks

Salvation---God & Paul

George, all those quotes from Ezek are about how the righteous man will live, or words to that effect.

I feel for you George, for you seem to think that you and everyone can achieve the righteousness that God demands by keepin the Torah. Let's start with the first commandment: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart , with all thine mind and with all thy soul. Can anyone say they keep that 100%?

And the second is like unto the first, quoting Jesus: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. And look how Jesus enlarged and clarified these two in Matt. 5:20ff: "..except your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter in to the kingdom of heaven."

WOW! And the scribes and Pharisees were "blameless" as to the Law.

And other insights: vs. 5:22, Calling your brother a fool, could result in you being judged of the fire of Gehenna.
5:28, Whoever looks at a woman lustfully, has committed adultery with her in his heart.
5:40, If a man sue you at law, give him your coat also. We must do this if we are living by the Torah? Right?
And Jesus wise sayings continue, showing, to me. that to really fulfill these one would have to be begotten from above.

Bick

mutzrein said:
Hi Georges - others probably know but may I ask how you classify yourself. I mean what faith / religion / sect do you identify with.

Thanks

Cult? :-D

Here is the classification: God Fearer......

Exactly what Cornelius was...a Gentile God Fearer....I'm no longer associated with any of my past experiences (Lutheran, S. Baptist).

Back in the day, there were 2 classifications of Gentile God Fearer's, Proselytes (those who converted to Judaism) and non Proselytes (those who feared God and observed the commandments but didn't fully commit to Judaism (ie Circumcision)).

I'm very, very, very seriously considering proselyting to Judaism...with of course the recognition that Jesus is Messiah...just exactly as the Church at Jerusalem under the tutalage of the Apostles did. That is what Christianity should have become...

Are there any groups like the Ancient Nazarenes or Ebionites still in existence? None that I'm aware of...

Re: Salvation---God & Paul

Bick said:
George, all those quotes from Ezek are about how the righteous man will live, or words to that effect.

True and also the wicked...more importantly...look at the verse below...

Eze 33:15 [If] the wicked (the sinner) restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.

The wicked will live if he repents and lives by the Torah....

I feel for you George, for you seem to think that you and everyone can achieve the righteousness that God demands by keepin the Torah.

I didn't say it...God through Ezekiel and other's (Christ included) indicate that...it plainly says...not if you keep "all" but if you keep....A righteous man, as indicated many times, will keep (strive to observe) Torah....

Let's start with the first commandment: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart , with all thine mind and with all thy soul. Can anyone say they keep that 100%?

Bick...you are still not getting it (no offense intented). No one can keep it 100% of the time...YOU DON'T HAVE TO....would it be great if you could? Yes. But no one can, God knows that and provided for that. As I've presented "according to God's word" all that is needed for a sacrificial atonement is a "Broken and Contriet Heart"

Psa 51:17 The sacrifices of God [are] a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Why did Jesus quote that if no one can keep it 100%, Ans: Because although it is good to try, no one can keep it 100%, therefore God provided means of Atonement...whether it is sacrificial, or repentence...the attitude toward God's law makes a man righteous...

And the second is like unto the first, quoting Jesus: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. And look how Jesus enlarged and clarified these two in Matt. 5:20ff: "..except your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter in to the kingdom of heaven."

Bick...Jesus was quoting Rabbi Hillel (a famous Pharasiac teacher and the grandfather of Gamaliel)....you can look that up yourself....Jesus wasn't quoting anything they hadn't heard, or knew. They were testing him.

As Paul claimed to be....

Phl 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Act 28:17 ¶ And it came to pass, that after three days Paul called the chief of the Jews together: and when they were come together, he said unto them, Men [and] brethren, though I have committed nothing against the people, or customs of our fathers, yet was I delivered prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans.

And other insights: vs. 5:22, Calling your brother a fool, could result in you being judged of the fire of Gehenna.
5:28, Whoever looks at a woman lustfully, has committed adultery with her in his heart.
5:40, If a man sue you at law, give him your coat also. We must do this if we are living by the Torah? Right?
And Jesus wise sayings continue, showing, to me. that to really fulfill these one would have to be begotten from above.

Not quite right Bick...although by Jesus you are partially right....Jesus showed us how to observe Torah perfectly....He wouldn't have given us the example if he didn't expect us to follow it....

Bick

More Bick.....? I'm enjoying it....you are showing class by engaging in a civil debate...

Bick wrote:I feel for you George, for you seem to think that you and everyone can achieve the righteousness that God demands by keepin the Torah. Let's start with the first commandment: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart , with all thine mind and with all thy soul. Can anyone say they keep that 100%?

I hate to butt in but why do you say the scribes and Pharisees were “blameless†as to the law? I know you may have been taught that, but it really isn’t scriptural. They kept up appearances, yes, but Jesus said they were adulterous vipers who stole widow’s houses, made a big deal about little things like exact tithes, proudly made a showy display of their fasting, prayer and worship, and ignored the most important things of the law. That was the type of Pharisee that Jesus condemned. Not all Pharisees were included. Paul said he was a “blameless†Pharisee as touching the law, and what he did against the church, he did ignorantly in unbelief, not understanding that God could have an earthly born son. Nicodemus was another one who didn’t seem to fit into this category, but in general, they were scoundrels, not sincere Torah keepers. Basically, if you were an honest, charitable, humble, law abiding person, your righteousness would have exceeded theirs, in God‘s estimation.

The thing that Jesus was stressing was not that no one can keep the law, but that keeping the law has to come from within, not be a show for others while inside your heart, you are harboring lust, deceit, greed, murder and pride. If you start with a heart in tune with the spirit of the law, which is love, then you will be pleasing to God. Yes, perfection is attainable because when we sin, the laws of Christ are written on our heart and immediately the Spirit convicts us and when we confess (accept the correction by him and admit that what we did was wrong) and forsake each sin, he cleanses us from all unrighteousness. Some people have given up the fight because of false teaching that nullifies what the Lord taught. His yoke is easy and his burden is light. Satan’s burden of sin is heavy and results in death. It is possible to resist the devil and conquer the sin that tempts us.

Example: Satan tempts Mr. Man with a lustful image of neighbor‘s wife. Mr. Man entertains the thoughts of adultery with fantasy woman. Holy Spirit whispers, “Is that pleasing to God?†Mr. Man either chooses to agree, resisting the urge to indulge in such thoughts and finds something better to do, (confesses and forsakes his sin) and the devil flees to wait for the next weak moment or Mr. Man chooses to continue in his lustful pleasures and may even fall into actual adultery before coming to admit and forsake it, if he ever does. How far he goes determines how much punishment he will have to endure. The Holy Spirit is there to try to convince us to abandon our sin before it leads us into the need for painful correction, or even death.

Bick wrote:5:40, If a man sue you at law, give him your coat also. We must do this if we are living by the Torah? Right?

Not really, Bick. I know that’s what they teach. Living by Torah only goes as far as not stealing someone else’s coat. The commands of Jesus are to love beyond that and realize that if your brother feels he needs your coat, you give it willingly because you trust God to take care of your needs. It takes real love and faith for sure. Abraham exhibited this kind of love and faith when he gave Lot first choice of the land they divided. He showed this faith when he refused to take any goods from the King of Sodom. He was an ordinary man but he believed God. That’s all God expects.

Edited by Mod:

Was not relevant to the topic.

:edit

I will be starting a thread within the next 2 weeks (to give those who are reading the pdf a chance to reflect) regarding the contents...

Georges said:
... I will be starting a thread within the next 2 weeks (to give those who are reading the pdf a chance to reflect) regarding the contents...
This is not a good idea. Please restrict such activity to PMs or emails.

Thanks

vic said:
Georges said:
... I will be starting a thread within the next 2 weeks (to give those who are reading the pdf a chance to reflect) regarding the contents...
This is not a good idea. Please restrict such activity to PMs or emails.

Thanks

OK... :crying: :-? :biggrin ...thanks for the heads up...I will not post it.

Vic...what are the TOS regs concerning a study on the letters of Revelation? In regard to their relation to Paul...? What are the limitations I need to abide by? For instance, is it ok to start a thread along the theme of....

Rev 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and [I know] the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but [are] the synagogue of Satan.

This is not a prophecy related issue, it concerns that Church at that time.

I hope i'm in the right thread. It was suggested that Paul didn’t fulfill the requirements of a prophet because he didn’t have prophesies that came true to verify what he said. Wrong. Acts records more than one prophesy by Paul:

Acts 27:21 But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss.
And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of [any man's] life among you, but of the ship.
For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,
Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.

Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.
Howbeit we must be cast upon a certain island.

But when the fourteenth night was come, as we were driven up and down in Adria, about midnight the shipmen deemed that they drew near to some country;……

And as the shipmen were about to flee out of the ship, when they had let down the boat into the sea, under colour as though they would have cast anchors out of the foreship, Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved. Then the soldiers cut off the ropes of the boat, and let her fall off.

Wherefore I pray you to take [some] meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you.

And falling into a place where two seas met, they ran the ship aground; and the forepart stuck fast, and remained unmoveable, but the hinder part was broken with the violence of the waves.

And the soldiers' counsel was to kill the prisoners, lest any of them should swim out, and escape. But the centurion, willing to save Paul, kept them from [their] purpose; and commanded that they which could swim should cast [themselves] first [into the sea], and get to land. And the rest, some on boards, and some on [broken pieces] of the ship. And so it came to pass, that they escaped all safe to land.

And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called Melita.

Act 28:16 And when we came to Rome, the centurion delivered the prisoners to the captain of the guard: but Paul was suffered to dwell by himself with a soldier that kept him.

It is quite evident that Paul accurately foretold those events. Bingo. Objection over ruled. I don’t have time now to deal with the next reason Paul’s writings are rejected but I will try to take it up later today if possible.

8-) Got to put in my time walking in the light behind the old mower.

unred typo said:
I hope i'm in the right thread. It was suggested that Paul didn’t fulfill the requirements of a prophet because he didn’t have prophesies that came true to verify what he said. Wrong. Acts records more than one prophesy by Paul:

Acts 27:21 But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss.
And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of [any man's] life among you, but of the ship.
For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,
Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.

Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.
Howbeit we must be cast upon a certain island.

But when the fourteenth night was come, as we were driven up and down in Adria, about midnight the shipmen deemed that they drew near to some country;……

And as the shipmen were about to flee out of the ship, when they had let down the boat into the sea, under colour as though they would have cast anchors out of the foreship, Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved. Then the soldiers cut off the ropes of the boat, and let her fall off.

Wherefore I pray you to take [some] meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you.

And falling into a place where two seas met, they ran the ship aground; and the forepart stuck fast, and remained unmoveable, but the hinder part was broken with the violence of the waves.

And the soldiers' counsel was to kill the prisoners, lest any of them should swim out, and escape. But the centurion, willing to save Paul, kept them from [their] purpose; and commanded that they which could swim should cast [themselves] first [into the sea], and get to land. And the rest, some on boards, and some on [broken pieces] of the ship. And so it came to pass, that they escaped all safe to land.

And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called Melita.

Act 28:16 And when we came to Rome, the centurion delivered the prisoners to the captain of the guard: but Paul was suffered to dwell by himself with a soldier that kept him.

It is quite evident that Paul accurately foretold those events. Bingo. Objection over ruled. I don’t have time now to deal with the next reason Paul’s writings are rejected but I will try to take it up later today if possible.

8-) Got to put in my time walking in the light behind the old mower.

Not the right thread....the thread would be...

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=23564

The contention is that Paul is a false prophet as Balaam was.....at first he prophesied as God required, then after that, he (Balaam, Paul) caused the Israelites to sin by eating meat sacrificed to idols, and adultery....

Red....read the pdf, it goes through the whole thing...specifically, the Churches of Revelation and why Christ Chastises them...

and, when you are done with your lawn, how about swinging over and doing mine...? :-D

Salvation...God or through Paul

George ... you are beating a dead horse again.

As Lovely quoted it from Paul, who got it from Genesis, that Abraham, and all his offspring are justified by faith, believing what God had declared. And this was some 430 years before the Law was given through Moses.

All you can seemingly do is pick out a few verses here and there in the Hebrew Scriptures, and give some personal interpretation, that keeping the Law is the way to righteousness.

Bick

Re: Salvation...God or through Paul

Bick said:
George ... you are beating a dead horse again.

As Lovely quoted it from Paul, who got it from Genesis, that Abraham, and all his offspring are justified by faith, believing what God had declared. And this was some 430 years before the Law was given through Moses.

All you can seemingly do is pick out a few verses here and there in the Hebrew Scriptures, and give some personal interpretation, that keeping the Law is the way to righteousness.

Bick

Bick...I keep asking you to let me send you the pdf...you keep dragging your feet on it...why? In it (the pdf), it dedicates a chapter to explaining how Paul (using the septuigent) and in particular, the Septuigent's mistranslation of the Hebrew to the Greek....1 word......that makes the difference in conceptual meaning of the Abrahamic passage. Paul also uses the Septuigent in regard to Hab 2:4, another translational faux pas. Paul uses the Septuigent when he should have been using the original Hebrew to quote.

Read the pdf and quit accusing me of beating a dead horse...

Others have requested it...daily, yet you will not...quit dragging your feet...I will offer that same challenge to you that I did with Unredtypo....I will quit beating the horse if you read the entire pdf...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back