Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Satan's 1st Lesson (Immortal Soul)

`And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna. (Matthew 10:28)

You people are mixing up the word "Hell" with the word "Gehenna." Gehenna is a graveyard; a burial ground for animals and other waste. Gehenna in no way means a place of eternal torment. Gehenna just means the "Grave."

If Gehenna meant "Hell" then I guess hell would be pretty nice.

http://www.what-the-hell-is-hell.com/He ... /index.htm

Anyway, man can only destroy the body. They have no access to the Elan Vital(Life force) or soul. Once the body is killed the soul will wane and likewise die; go to gehenna.

Gendou said:
You people are mixing up the word "Hell" with the word "Gehenna." Gehenna is a graveyard; a burial ground for animals and other waste. Gehenna in no way means a place of eternal torment. Gehenna just means the "Grave."
Gehenna is hell, Hades is the grave. Gehenna is the final place for the unbeliever and is used very often by Christ, who often associates it with fire and judgement. It only makes sense that this would also be the Lake of Fire spoken of in Revelation, the place of eternal torment.

Free said:
Gendou said:
Gehenna is hell, Hades is the grave. Gehenna is the final place for the unbeliever and is used very often by Christ, who often associates it with fire and judgement. It only makes sense that this would also be the Lake of Fire spoken of in Revelation, the place of eternal torment.
i think you should reconsider your stance here, hell(the grave) is only a temporary place for the unbeliever, as can be seen from this passage:

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

so you see, the unbelievers will be resurrected and judged then cast into the lake of fire, the lake of fire where the worm dieth not is the final place for unbelievers, and the torment there will last forever:

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever

some people like the OP would even like to have us believe the lie that it all ends at death for the unbeliever, but it is not so, it does not end, ever,

everyone will exist forever, the unbelievers will exist in everlasting torment(second death) with their king(satan), and the righteous in everlasting peace with their king(Jesus)

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

it apears that the outlook is pretty grim for the unbeliever. as they will be resurrected from death, hell and the grave, and be cast into the lake of fire(eternal torment), where their worm dieth not, and the fire never shall be quenched.

I agree with Green^Horn. Gehenna, Sheol, and Hades are never the final destiny of all creation. Though, I don't agree with him on, that the "Lake of Fire" is the final destination.

Free said:
Sputnik said:
Sputnik: That God WILL destroy the souls of the unrighteous in hell is implied in the verse. In addition to that, we can see from other scriptures that the unrighteous will be destroyed in hell. So, I guess it's a matter of 2+2=4.

Free: Well 1+3 also equals 4, but I cannot find either the 1 or the 3 in that verse, nor a 2 for that matter. There is no implication that God actually will destroy the soul in hell. The whole passage is about not fearing man and fearing God because of who he is. To read more into in than that is error.

Sputnik: But we ARE told that the unrighteous will be destroyed (by God) so why the argument?
Sputnik said:
Sputnik: God gave the life force to the physical body. The physical body can be destroyed by man; however, only God can destroy the life force as well as the physical body.

Free: So now the "life force" is separate from the body, is it? Isn't death the cessation of life? According to you, it isn't.

Sputnik: What's the problem here, Free? Evidently it required the breath of God to make a lifeless body into a 'living soul'. At death we're told that that breath (pneuma) goes back to God who gave it. It's actually a reversal of the first example. From my understanding, the 'soul' is the body itself and not a separate item. It's the actual 'breath of God' that appears to be the separate item. The body is the receptacle that remains lifeless without 'the breath of life'. At death, the physical body goes to the grave where it (again) turns to dust. The 'breath' returns to God who gave it.

Free: But this is more consistent with belief in an immortal soul and directly contradicts belief that the soul is means merely "living being". You have only substituted "life force" for "immortal soul".

Sputnik: No I haven't. A person is either a living soul or a deceased soul. God can do whatever He wants with the 'life force' or 'spirit'. For the righteous it's eternal life. For the unrighteous it's eternal death. Until the return of Christ, however, the Bible tells us that 'the grave' is where the dead will remain. One can only wonder what God does with all of the spirits (breath-pneuma) that He's received. Maybe He keeps them in labeled bottles. :wink:

Free: So now we have you believing in an immortal life force, a life force that can exist apart from the body that only God has the ability to destroy. You affirm the immortal soul doctrine while at the same deny it. Interesting.

Sputnik: Immortality is not promised by God for everyone. And, yes. It's my understanding, as per the Bible, that only God Himself has the ability to destroy that 'life force'. Immortality is for the righteous, not the unrighteous. The righteous will be ALIVE forever, the unrighteous will be DEAD forever.[/quote]

Green^Horn said:
so you see, the unbelievers will be resurrected and judged then cast into the lake of fire, the lake of fire where the worm dieth not is the final place for unbelievers, and the torment there will last forever:
it apears that the outlook is pretty grim for the unbeliever. as they will be resurrected from death, hell and the grave, and be cast into the lake of fire(eternal torment), where their worm dieth not, and the fire never shall be quenched.

Your problem is misinterpreting the metaphorical passages of Isaiah 66 and Mark 9. To say 'the worm does not die' and the 'fire is not quenched' doesn't mean 'the worms are immortal' and the 'fire never goes out'.

These metaphorical terms were used to show absolute destruction, not eternal process. Think about it....

A fire that cannot be QUENCHED (i.e. cannot be PUT out) will destroy completely, not minor damage until the fire trucks salvage some of the property. It will burn until ALL is done without interruption.

Jeremiah prophecies that God would kindle a fire in the gates of Jerusalem that WOULD NOT BE QUENCHED. This occurred during the captivity of Babylon.

Are the gates still burning??

To say that the fire will never GO out is not the meaning of unquenchable fire.

A worm that doesn't die will continue to eat until all is gone. This is again a metaphorical usage of complete destruction and annihilation. The worm can't be killed but will go on eating. Again, it doesn't make any sense that a body will keep regenerating itself so the worm can keep feeding.

Notice that in Isaiah, the worms are feeding on CORPSES, not immortal souls. You must not ignore the figurative use of these passages.

Your other problem is that immortal souls cannot keep burning. The Bible doesn't say that immortal souls or immortal bodies will be suffering eternal munching of worms (how can that possibly happen??). Rather it assumed based on misinterpretation of the words 'soul' and it's relation to the afterlife.

The righteous have new immortal bodies, the wicked are still sinful and suffer the wages of sin: DEATH. They do not have immortality, nor immortal bodies or bodiless souls to suffer eternally with.

Hence, 'eternal' is 'eternal' in terms of RESULTS for the wicked, not process. The Gree word 'ainios' allows for that interpretation.

Green^Horn said:
everyone will exist forever, the unbelievers will exist in everlasting torment(second death) with their king(satan), and the righteous in everlasting peace with their king(Jesus)

The mere fact that the bible uses the term 'second death' shows that it cannot mean 'eternal, conscious suffering'. Notice the Bible says, "Blessed are the dead in Christ who take part in the first resurrection as THE SECOND DEATH HAS NO POWER OVER THEM"

Do you know why it doesn't have any power over them? Because they are ALIVE AND ETERNAL. Hence, to be under the power of the second death, means the opposite: death.

The 'second' death is similar to the first, not completely opposite or the term 'second' would not have been used. Were it not for the resurrection, the 'first death' would have been eternal.

"If the dead are not raised then you are yet in your sins AND THOSE THAT SLEEP IN CHRIST HAVE PERISHED" ! Corinthians 15:17,18

The second death has no redemption. Death is eternal. Death is not a process but a state and the bible used 'death' 'destruction', 'destroy' to mean exactly what they mean and they all apply to the fate of the wicked.

Free said:
Jay T,

Satan commenced his deception in Eden. He said to Eve, "Ye shall not surely die."

This was Satan's first lesson upon the immortality of the soul, and he has carried on this deception from that time to the present, and will carry it on until Christ's return.
I'm curious: if God said that if they ate of the fruit they would die, wouldn't that mean that if they didn't eat of the fruit that they would never die?
As another person who responded to my post pointed out, very accurately......Adam and Eve were already immortal.
It was their sin, that caused them to lose their immortal lives.

As pointed out in the Bible, once they committed sin, they were forbidden to eat from the tree of life, which maintained their immortality (Genesis 3:22-24).

guibox said:
Green^Horn said:

Your problem is misinterpreting the metaphorical passages of Isaiah 66 and Mark 9. To say 'the worm does not die' and the 'fire is not quenched' doesn't mean 'the worms are immortal' and the 'fire never goes out'.

These metaphorical terms were used to show absolute destruction, not eternal process. Think about it....

A fire that cannot be QUENCHED (i.e. cannot be PUT out) will destroy completely, not minor damage until the fire trucks salvage some of the property. It will burn until ALL is done without interruption.

Jeremiah prophecies that God would kindle a fire in the gates of Jerusalem that WOULD NOT BE QUENCHED. This occurred during the captivity of Babylon.

Are the gates still burning??

To say that the fire will never GO out is not the meaning of unquenchable fire.

A worm that doesn't die will continue to eat until all is gone. This is again a metaphorical usage of complete destruction and annihilation. The worm can't be killed but will go on eating. Again, it doesn't make any sense that a body will keep regenerating itself so the worm can keep feeding.

Notice that in Isaiah, the worms are feeding on CORPSES, not immortal souls. You must not ignore the figurative use of these passages.

Your other problem is that immortal souls cannot keep burning. The Bible doesn't say that immortal souls or immortal bodies will be suffering eternal munching of worms (how can that possibly happen??). Rather it assumed based on misinterpretation of the words 'soul' and it's relation to the afterlife.

The righteous have new immortal bodies, the wicked are still sinful and suffer the wages of sin: DEATH. They do not have immortality, nor immortal bodies or bodiless souls to suffer eternally with.

Hence, 'eternal' is 'eternal' in terms of RESULTS for the wicked, not process. The Gree word 'ainios' allows for that interpretation.

[quote="Green^Horn":019da]everyone will exist forever, the unbelievers will exist in everlasting torment(second death) with their king(satan), and the righteous in everlasting peace with their king(Jesus)

The mere fact that the bible uses the term 'second death' shows that it cannot mean 'eternal, conscious suffering'. Notice the Bible says, "Blessed are the dead in Christ who take part in the first resurrection as THE SECOND DEATH HAS NO POWER OVER THEM"

Do you know why it doesn't have any power over them? Because they are ALIVE AND ETERNAL. Hence, to be under the power of the second death, means the opposite: death.

The 'second' death is similar to the first, not completely opposite or the term 'second' would not have been used. Were it not for the resurrection, the 'first death' would have been eternal.

"If the dead are not raised then you are yet in your sins AND THOSE THAT SLEEP IN CHRIST HAVE PERISHED" ! Corinthians 15:17,18

The second death has no redemption. Death is eternal. Death is not a process but a state and the bible used 'death' 'destruction', 'destroy' to mean exactly what they mean and they all apply to the fate of the wicked.[/quote:019da]

sorry to have to dissagree with you, but you have very little understanding about these metaphors as you call them, neither do you understand the different levels(or types) of death, none of which are ever typified as a state of permanant none existence,

here are the words of the judge himself:

Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

see there where he says "everlasting punishment" ?,,, according to strongs, another definition for the word "everlasting" here is "eternal" and we are told in the book of revelation what this everlasting or eternal punishment is, it is "the lake of fire" now simple logic or even comon horse sense dictates that in order for one to be punished "eternaly", then the one being punished "eternaly" must exist "eternaly" in the "eternal" punishment, elsewise it would not be an everlasting or eternal punishment,

it is writen so that even a child can understand it, but yet people still go off and attend some stupid class about the bible to learn ways to twist the words of our lord into something that he never said, similar to what you have done,

Mat 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

2Pe 2:17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest: to whom the mist of darkness is reserved forever.

Jud 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Korah.
Jud 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.

Rev 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
Rev 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up forever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

shall i continue? i think not, it bores me wasting my time on such things, knowing that after i'm done that it will do little to change the minds of those who believe as you do, so i'll stop here, cause if i've not convinced you of the truth by now, then i see no point in continuing.

Green^Horn said:
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment[/b]: but the righteous into life eternal.

see there where he says "everlasting punishment" ?,,, according to strongs, another definition for the word "everlasting" here is "eternal" and we are told in the book of revelation what this everlasting or eternal punishment is, it is "the lake of fire" now simple logic or even comon horse sense dictates that in order for one to be punished "eternaly", then the one being punished "eternaly" must exist "eternaly" in the "eternal" punishment, elsewise it would not be an everlasting or eternal punishment.

Sputnik: Sorry G^H, but YOU are the one who has it backward. First you need to get it clear in your mind that only the righteous have everlasting life. They will LIVE forever ...okay? The unrighteous, however, will NOT have everlasting life. They will be DEAD forever ...okay? Their punishMENT will certainly be everlasting, but not their punishING. Understand? THEY won't know the salvation that they've relinquished (which IS their punishment) because they will have perished.

G^H: It is writen so that even a child can understand it, but yet people still go off and attend some stupid class about the bible to learn ways to twist the words of our lord into something that he never said, similar to what you have done,

Sputnik: You're letting your ignorance on this topic get the better of you. Pinch your nose tightly, give a tremendous blow through your nose with your mouth closed tightly, and your ears will probably pop. Now you should be in a position to hear the relevance to this issue of the following famous piece of scripture. It's found in John 3:16.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not PERISH but have everlasting life."

This text is pretty much all we need to take care of this issue once and for all. You will notice that the righteous (those who believe in Jesus) have everlasting life. You will also notice that those who DON'T believe in Jesus (the unrighteous) will perish. They will NOT receive everlasting life ...only everlasting death. Can even a child understand that simple verse? Perish means 'kaput', as in 'annihilation', as in 'destroyed' ....

G^H: shall i continue? i think not, it bores me wasting my time on such things, knowing that after i'm done that it will do little to change the minds of those who believe as you do, so i'll stop here, cause if i've not convinced you of the truth by now, then i see no point in continuing.

Sputnik: Whether you continue is up to you. But, as long as you do continue to debate this issue, then be warned that you ARE dealing with people who have a fair knowledge of their Bible and will give you a good run for your money. Are you up to it? Then again, if literal 'eternal punishment' takes your fancy, then that's the direction you'll continue to take, regardless of what anyone tells you to the contrary. I've come to the conclusion after all of my time on these forums that one's view of hell starts first in the heart. If eternal torment is what one wants (for anyone other than them, that is) then a literal eternal torment is what they will opt for.

Well said, Sputnik.

Interesting how so many ignore John 3:16's true message. Believing on Christ gives us eternal life. NOT believing is the opposite 'perishing'. And yet so many want to make 'perishing' mean 'eternal, conscious torment'

We know the scriptures prove this wrong.

"For the wages of sin is DEATH but the gift of God is eternal life. - Romans 6:23

So 'eternal life', this 'gift' is what was promised in John 3:16. Hence, the 'perishing' is the opposite of 'life'. The opposite of life is not 'eternal suffering' but 'death'.

Now to get around this, the immortal soul supporter says that this 'eternal life' is talking about 'quality' of life and not duration. The Bible doesn't use it this way or makes no distinction between the two.

So let's keep going...what does the word 'perish' mean, or better yet, what does the opposite of 'perish' mean? We know that the wicked will 'perish'. Revelation 20 tells us that the fire that will burn the wicked 'consumes' them.

Look at Exodus 3:2

And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush WAS NOT CONSUMED[/b]

Some versions even say 'did not perish'. So we see that the opposite of being consumed or 'perishing' is CONTINUALLY BURNING.

So Romans 6:23 reiterates John 3:16 in saying that the wicked who perish will be destroyed and not continually burning because they will be CONSUMED.

Again, I refer you to my previous comment on Revelation 20 about the 'second death' and it not having no power over the righteous. Look at it again closely and logically, Green Horn:

Neither have you fully explained or dispelled the contradictions in taking Isaiah 66 and Mark 9 and how they are explained elsewhere in the Bible.

No, its much better to take a knee-jerk interpretation of the scriptures despite the illogical, biblical, moral and linguistic contradictions throughout the rest of the bible.

Hi guys,

What do you guys think eternal 'life' is?

What is physical death? What is the second death?

noble6

noblej6 said:
Hi guys,

What do you guys think eternal 'life' is?

Sputnik: Other than what it says, I don't know. I don't think any of us can even hazzard a guess. It sounds pretty awesome, though. What do YOU think eternal 'life' is?

noblej6: What is physical death? What is the second death?

Sputnik: Physical death, the way I see it, is the death that results in our 'sleeping' in the grave until the resurrection. Again, the way I see it, the second death refers to the FINAL death (the annihilation) of the unrighteous. I think you'll find both parts of my answer align pretty well with the scriptures.

Hi Sputnik,

Sputnik: Other than what it says, I don't know. I don't think any of us can even hazzard a guess. It sounds pretty awesome, though. What do YOU think eternal 'life' is?

I think eternal life is the heavenly , spiritual , and invisible existance within the spiritual realm after physical death. I think a good description would be to liken it to an extremely vivid and peaceful dream...magnified 1000 times.

Sputnik: Physical death, the way I see it, is the death that results in our 'sleeping' in the grave until the resurrection. Again, the way I see it, the second death refers to the FINAL death (the annihilation) of the unrighteous.

Technically, (can you say that in reference to biblical stuff,) I agree with you. We disagree when the resurrection is, but as written I agree with you.

noble6

noblej6 said:
Hi Sputnik,

I think eternal life is the heavenly , spiritual , and invisible existance within the spiritual realm after physical death. I think a good description would be to liken it to an extremely vivid and peaceful dream...magnified 1000 times.

[quote:7bf91]Sputnik: Physical death, the way I see it, is the death that results in our 'sleeping' in the grave until the resurrection. Again, the way I see it, the second death refers to the FINAL death (the annihilation) of the unrighteous.

Technically, (can you say that in reference to biblical stuff,) I agree with you. We disagree when the resurrection is, but as written I agree with you.

Sputnik: Hi noble

'Technically' is pretty good ...I know what you mean. I have to equate the resurrection of the righteous with the return of Jesus because that seems to be consistent with the scriptures. No one has ever gone to heaven but Jesus, so we're told (John 3:13). And, I somehow doubt that Paul somehow received an 'update' from God to say that 'the physics' (can you say THAT in reference to biblical stuff?) had now changed in regard to the state of the dead since the death and resurrection of Jesus.[/quote:7bf91]

Jay T said:
Satan commenced his deception in Eden. He said to Eve, "Ye shall not surely die."

This was Satan's first lesson upon the immortality of the soul, and he has carried on this deception from that time to the present, and will carry it on until Christ's return.
Need I remind the readers, that this is about man not...having an immortal soul ?

Sputnik: Um ...sorry Jay T. Actually, it was all noble's fault ... ;-)

Green^Horn said:
Free said:
Gendou said:
i think you should reconsider your stance here, hell(the grave) is only a temporary place for the unbeliever, as can be seen from this passage:

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever

some people like the OP would even like to have us believe the lie that it all ends at death for the unbeliever, but it is not so, it does not end, ever,

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

It's been awhile since I contributed to this thread and I just noticed an error in the argument above.

In making this argument Green^Horn you ignored my entire post. If one does a quick look, one will notice that the Greek for "hell" in Rev. 20:14 is actually hades. Hades is the grave. When Jesus spoke of gehenna it was always as the final place of the wicked and is often associated with fire. Therefore, it is most likely that the lake of fire is gehenna, or hell.

Gendou Ikari said:
The Adversary paved the way to deceive the world from the beginning. He started out with a very simple lie. He promised man Immortality.
NO...satan promised them 'continued' immortality....if...they disobeyed God's commandments.

Back