Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Schizophrenia

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Schizophrenia: shattering the stigma

Schizophrenia. Does this word conjure thoughts of mentally unstable, violent individuals with split personalities? For many, it does. And it is these misconceptions about the disorder that mental health organizations around the world are trying to break.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/283776.php
schizophrenia-definition.jpg

Schizophrenics often have trouble distinguishing between the reality we see and what their own minds see. There are different levels of it. Sometimes they hear voices. But as Christians, we are known to hear voices!

Sometimes their mind goes into a dreamlike state in severe cases, and they can't come out of it and have to be institutionalized.

I have known a schizophrenic who would say some things that might scare some people. but he was not dangerous.

In all likelihood, I have schizophrenia. I mean, the official diagnosis I think is still "Bipolar I w/Psychotic Features," but...yeah...schizophrenia.

Anyway, its crazy! To be schizophrenic is to be invalidated.. Mental health people are sometimes the worst offenders. If you disagree with a mental health professional, you're "in denial," "lack insight" or you're "non-compliant." I'm not supposed to have input on my treatment. The only reason I'm not in a state mental hospital or being drugged to the gills by court order is that my upper-middle/upper-class family is behind me. Otherwise, I'd be up the creek without a paddle.

In all likelihood, I have schizophrenia. I mean, the official diagnosis I think is still "Bipolar I w/Psychotic Features," but...yeah...schizophrenia.

Anyway, its crazy! To be schizophrenic is to be invalidated.. Mental health people are sometimes the worst offenders. If you disagree with a mental health professional, you're "in denial," "lack insight" or you're "non-compliant." I'm not supposed to have input on my treatment. The only reason I'm not in a state mental hospital or being drugged to the gills by court order is that my upper-middle/upper-class family is behind me. Otherwise, I'd be up the creek without a paddle.

Have you ever had serious homicidal or suicidal thoughts? If not, you can not be forced to see a mental health professional. You can not be held against your will unless you are a danger to society.

That said, IF YOU FIND THE RIGHT ONE, they can be very beneficial to your life.

My current shrink seems OK. 3 meds, 1 at a low dose, no big deal. But...I've had some nightmare shrinks (involuntary ECT, 2 rounds before the age of 24).

I have schizophrenia, but I'm also smart, creative, high functioning, and extremely insightful.

In another city I was diagnosed as schizophrenic but when I moved back with my parents my diagnosis was changed. My last Psychiatrist diagnosed me as Major Depression with Psychosis. WRONG
He said that even if he diagnosed me as such the medications I was taking wouldn't change.
Whatever. Under his supervision I continued to get sick. So I changed my psychiatrist at HIS suggestion. Only when I got placed with a team who are more involved with their clients was I taken seriously about my true diagnosis as paranoid schizophrenic. My new psychiatrist placed me on Clozaril, and ...how can I emphasize how much healthier I am!? Don't get me wrong.. I still have symptoms and a relapse every now and then... I cannot believe I've survived. God def has a plan for my life!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back