Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Scientific Observation vs God's Truth

If God's Word contradicts Science which one will you follow?

• God's Word as confirmed to you by the Holy Spirit.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

Solo

If God's Word contradicts Science which one will you follow?

God's Word as confirmed to you by the Holy Spirit,

or

Science as confirmed to you by man?

NOTE: This key word in this question is contradicts.

Fortunately, there is no conflict between God and His creation, so we don't have to worry about it.

Nothing in Genesis contradicts any scientific theory.

A similar question to Solo:

If your interpretation of God's word contradicts what someone else tells you that he had it confirmed by the Holy Spirit, what do you do?

jwu said:
A similar question to Solo:

If your interpretation of God's word contradicts what someone else tells you that he had it confirmed by the Holy Spirit, what do you do?
We then study the Word of God together in prayer for God's understanding and wisdom seeking HIS interpretation as revealed by the Holy Spirit. The Bible is clear that not all spirits are from God, and each believer should examine the spirit to determine whether the spirit is from God.

Those who have the Holy Spirit are able to discern the truth of God's Word as they submit to the LORDSHIP of Jesus Christ. Those who submit to any other than the LORD Jesus Christ may or may not be born again, born of God. Those that are not born of God are still in the condemned state unable to interpret the spiritual things of God. Those who are born again have the mind of Christ.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:14-16

We then study the Word of God together in prayer for God's understanding and wisdom seeking HIS interpretation as revealed by the Holy Spirit. The Bible is clear that not all spirits are from God, and each believer should examine the spirit to determine whether the spirit is from God.
And if no agreement can be achieved?

Those who have the Holy Spirit are able to discern the truth of God's Word as they submit to the LORDSHIP of Jesus Christ.
If no agreement can be achieved (a common case, otherwise there wouldn't be all those different denominations)...how do you *know*that it is you who has the holy spirit and not the one who tells you that you are mistaken about your interpretation of the bible?

jwu said:
If no agreement can be achieved (a common case, otherwise there wouldn't be all those different denominations)...how do you *know*that it is you who has the holy spirit and not the one who tells you that you are mistaken about your interpretation of the bible?
Read the Scriptures and you too will know the answer to your questions. Paul was pretty clear on the unity of those who have the mind of Christ and walk in the spirit.

Since the unity of Christians is on the fact that science and Scripture do not disagree, would you then accept that those relative few who think that they do, are not within that unity?

Many hoaxes, lies, and deceptions have been made in the name of Science but have been shown as being false, and the Word of God would not back any of the untruths; therefore, those that held to the Word of God over the "Pseudo-Science" would have been just in their interpretation.

Much is ascertained by many to be truth by science, but does, in fact, contradict the Word of God.

I will choose the Word of God every time, over anything deemed correct by man's observation.

Many hoaxes, lies, and deceptions have been made in the name of Science but have been shown as being false, and the Word of God would not back any of the untruths; therefore, those that held to the Word of God over the "Pseudo-Science" would have been just in their interpretation.

Much is ascertained by many to be truth by science, but does, in fact, contradict the Word of God.

I will choose the Word of God every time, over anything deemed correct by man's observation.

Thats fine you believe that but why do you have to demean Science by saying "Many hoaxes, lies, and deceptions have been made in the name of Science but have been shown as being false"?

Why do you have to resort to attacking the character of science?

It is one thing to fear science. It is quite another to make unfounded accusations against scientists.

Faith should be strong enough that one is not afraid of the truth.

Read the Scriptures and you too will know the answer to your questions. Paul was pretty clear on the unity of those who have the mind of Christ and walk in the spirit.
That doesn't answer the question. Those who are united and walk in the spirit could be those of another denomination than yours. How do you *know* (not just believe) that it is yours?

jwu said:
Solo said:
That doesn't answer the question. Those who are united and walk in the spirit could be those of another denomination than yours. How do you *know* (not just believe) that it is yours?
My answer answers the question perfectly whether you understand or not. I have many, many Christian friends and acquaintences that have unity of the Spirit, as denominationalism has nothing to do with it.

Now I will ask you a question. Did Jesus Christ create all that is created?

My answer answers the question perfectly whether you understand or not. I have many, many Christian friends and acquaintences that have unity of the Spirit, as denominationalism has nothing to do with it.
Well, then please explain how it answers the question if i am missing it.

I'll rephrase the question though...i originally brought up the denominations as examples of groupings who disagree with each other on scriptural matters:

There are lots of people who disagree with you and your friends and acquaintances on matters of scriptural interpretation, aren't there?
These people are quite certain that they are right, just as you are that you are right. So how do you know that it is you who is led by the Holy Spirit and not the others?

Now I will ask you a question. Did Jesus Christ create all that is created?
God created all that is created, with Jesus being a special manifestation of God (not fully interchangeable though).

jwu said:
God created all that is created, with Jesus being a special manifestation of God (not fully interchangeable though).
Those who do not believe that Jesus is God, are not born again believers. The spirit of antichrist leads those of this belief system according to the Scriptures. Those who have been born again, born of God have a unity in the one faith, the one baptism, the one body, headed up by the one LORD.

Those who have not the Holy Spirit cannot know the truth.
Those who do not walk in the Spirit cannot know the truth.
Those who do not believe the Spirit cannot know the truth.
Those who do not study the Scriptures in the guidence of the Spirit cannot know the truth.

Those who have the Holy Spirit are those who manifest love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Those who have not the Holy Spirit are those who manifest immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these. Those without the Holy Spirit has desires against the Holy Spirit, and they are in opposition to one another.

I think that the question posed in the OP presents what really amounts to a false dilemma. One reason: science can help us understand what parts of Scripture are to be taken as literal and which are not. Classic example: the creation account. I make no apologies for saying that mountains of scientific evidence have shown that we live on on earth that is not 10,000 years old. Now some will say that "I am believing science over the Scriptures". I think that the reality is that scientific knowledge sometimes gives us valuable information to assist us in determining the true meaning of certain parts of Scripture.

What choice would I make if a rather clear statement in Scripture were directly contradicted by an item of well-established "scientific" knowledge? I do not expect such a situation to arise since I believe that both are avenues to knowledge of truth - a "truth" which is presumably internally self-consistent. But let's deal with that if and when it happens.

There is a curious element to Christian culture that is, of course, generally absent from "secular" culture - that is the belief in access to a kind of "perfect knowledge" through the Scriptures. In my opinion, people mistakenly think that because the Scriptures are the Word of God (I believe this as an item of faith, not as something I can prove to be true), they are immune from interpreting them incorrectly. There is a seductive appeal to this - the person can believe they have access to "instant and easy" truth without having to slog through the hard work that they would otherwise have to do. One manifestation of this way of thinking is the "you are a child of the devil" response that is sometimes heard from a Christian in response to an argument they cannot otherwise counter.

I think that such a view is badly mistaken. We have been given the Scriptures but we need to accept the fact that we are flawed and cannot avoid the hard work of digging for the truth. I very much like the following quote from Jacob Bronowski. I think it captures the wisdom of humility and the danger of a belief in a "direct line" to truth that is not subject to error. This material is extracted from an essay where Bronowski laments the holocaust.

It is said that science will dehumanize people and turn them into numbers. That is false: tragically false. Look for yourself. This is the concentration camp and crematorium at Auschwitz. This is where people were turned into numbers. Into this pond were flushed the ashes of four million people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by arrogance. It was done by dogma. It was done by ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality--this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods.

Science is a very human form of knowledge. We are always at the brink of the known; we always feel forward for what is to be hoped. Every judgment in science stands on the edge or error, and is personal. Science is a tribute to what we can know although we are fallible. In the end, the words were said by Oliver Cromwell: "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken."

We have to cure ourselves of the itch for absolute knowledge and power.

jwu said:
Please answer my question instead of preaching.
Preaching is so much more important than answering your questions in the manner that you want them answered. The answers to all of your questions have been submitted, but you may be unable to understand the truth at this time in your life.

Preaching is so much more important than answering your questions in the manner that you want them answered. The answers to all of your questions have been submitted, but you may be unable to understand the truth at this time in your life.
Remember that this is a discussion forum.

It appears to me that you simply have no answer and want to distract from that with off-topic preaching.

jwu said:
Remember that this is a discussion forum.

It appears to me that you simply have no answer and want to distract from that with off-topic preaching.
This is a Christian Discussion Forum, not a False Christian Discussion Forum. It appears you have no Christian answers and must distract from the truth by bowing to the god of man's scientific untruths. It does not surprise me.

On whose authority do you decide what is Christian and what is not? God's? Or is just your own personal interpretation of the bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back