Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Sheesh, what passes for "Christian" these days

coffeelover said:
I agree on the non married part for sure, but I disagree on the age part. If I met any man in his late 20's or 30's married 14 year old girl I would not for one second think he was a true Christian.
Yes i agree 14 is too young. However when Joseph and Mary were married he was most likely close to 30 while she was probably closer to 13. Not that i am excusing someone who sleep with children. However in my case my wife was an adult 19 as I said, and we didn't do anything at all not even kiss until we were married

I dunno, I do have a problem with HUGE age gaps... but who am I to judge? True love, that is love placed between two people by God's hand, is not something that is age dependent.

Oats said:
What about Christians who smoke pot? Are they fake?

:shrug

Though we should not judge 'em based on this (for is it any different than other vices?) it is something that should be quit. It may not initially harm others and such, but it eventually will.

In order to keep a boat in a fleet from crashing into other boats all the boats need to be in proper working order.

Oats said:

I heard a Christian comedian once tell about the time when he went to a church to speak. After the show, a mother brought her teenage son, who was obviously high, to him. The boy asked the comedian "Do I have to quit smoking pot to be saved?" To everybody's surprise who heard it, the comedian answered "No". The boy thought he hadn't understood the question so he asked again "You don't understand. Do I have to quit smoking marijuana to be saved?" Again the comedian said "No". Still not convinced, the boy asked again "You're not getting it. Do I have to stop smoking this to be saved?" and held a joint up to the comedians face. Again the answer was "No". The teenager was obviously very confused by all this, since it was so different from what he expected, so the comedian explained...

"Do you have to get clean before you take a bath?"

He makes a good point. We don't have to get clean to take a bath, but, after we've taken the bath, we should be clean.

I prefer to apply C.S. Lewis view to this.

He said we are each represented by a boat. And together with out fellows around us (church, family, friends, community, ect.) are sailing in a giant fleet. There are three things that need to be worried about. The location. Staying from harming other boats. And keeping our boat working.

OK, so how does smoking weed harm other boats? Well, initially it does not harm other boats at all. However, it does cause damage to our own boat. (Don't try to persuade me otherwise. I have plenty of friends who smoke weed and I know how it effects people.) Weed will damage the steering mechanism of our boats (our minds). We will eventually crash into other boats and this does greater harm. If we still continue we will harm more boats and ourselves AND eventually we will end up go astray from where we are trying to get because we can no longer steer that course.

Theofilus said:
Oats said:

I heard a Christian comedian once tell about the time when he went to a church to speak. After the show, a mother brought her teenage son, who was obviously high, to him. The boy asked the comedian "Do I have to quit smoking pot to be saved?" To everybody's surprise who heard it, the comedian answered "No". The boy thought he hadn't understood the question so he asked again "You don't understand. Do I have to quit smoking marijuana to be saved?" Again the comedian said "No". Still not convinced, the boy asked again "You're not getting it. Do I have to stop smoking this to be saved?" and held a joint up to the comedians face. Again the answer was "No". The teenager was obviously very confused by all this, since it was so different from what he expected, so the comedian explained...

"Do you have to get clean before you take a bath?"

He makes a good point. We don't have to get clean to take a bath, but, after we've taken the bath, we should be clean.
But if you take a bath you will be clean. if someone is dirty it is a good chance that have yet to take a bath.

Oats said:
watchman F said:
Oats said:
I would say yes

If I was to be wholly candid, Then I am a fake Christian...I smoke from time to time :verysad :verysad :verysad :crying :crying :crying :oops

I think the idea of temperance covers everything from drinking to golfing to tennis to poker to gambling to smoking.

Moderation is OK.

Though, weed is still wrong because it is illegal and all. I do think weed is given a bad rap, but I also think it should still stay illegal. I'm still sticking to my story about the boats...

watchman F said:
Oats said:
I would say yes
Well, I'm not going to say pot is good for you or any of that nonsense, but I must ask.

Do you apply this same aprouch to those that take medications that have effects on mental ability ( All psychotic drugs that heal psychosis, Tylenol, hormone replacements/supplements, ginseng, etc.) To people who are fat, or eat fatty foods and drinks. To those that do risky behavior such as extreme sports or risky rescue work.

I never understood this idea of This is okay, but that's bad even though they are all just as harmful. Caffeine has more harmful and long lasting effects then Marijuana, yet that seems fine. Unlike marijuana, you can actually die from an overdose.

Oats said:
Is it really that horrible :oops :verysad I don't hurt anyone...Weed isn't so dangerous is it
Compared to caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, Sugar uppers, and downers. Marijuana is the least harmful, if harmful at all.

The only long lasting effect is short term memory loss, and you really have to smoke a ton of marijuana to get that.

Pard said:
The BBC is not, nor any news outlet, a peer reviewed science journal. They take the information they want and over exagerate/over emphasise for rating and controversy.

All scientific peer reviewed research shows that Marijuana is safer then nicotine, etc. This article talks about smoking, so its not the drug itself, but the choices of consumption. Ala joints versus bongs and baking.

I don't want to distract anymore from this topic, so when I return on Monday. I'll make a thread about the drug war. ;)

Lance_Iguana said:
[quote="watchman F":1ysk0yt3]
Oats said:
I would say yes
Well, I'm not going to say pot is good for you or any of that nonsense, but I must ask.

Do you apply this same aprouch to those that take medications that have effects on mental ability ( All psychotic drugs that heal psychosis, Tylenol, hormone replacements/supplements, ginseng, etc.) To people who are fat, or eat fatty foods and drinks. To those that do risky behavior such as extreme sports or risky rescue work.

I never understood this idea of This is okay, but that's bad even though they are all just as harmful. Caffeine has more harmful and long lasting effects then Marijuana, yet that seems fine. Unlike marijuana, you can actually die from an overdose.[/quote:1ysk0yt3]I agree we should stay away from all of it.

Lance_Iguana said:
Oats said:
Is it really that horrible :oops :verysad I don't hurt anyone...Weed isn't so dangerous is it
Compared to caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, Sugar uppers, and downers. Marijuana is the least harmful, if harmful at all.

The only long lasting effect is short term memory loss, and you really have to smoke a ton of marijuana to get that.
I have smoked a ton of marijuana...lol, before I was saved of course, and the fact that sugar is bad for you doesn't make getting stoned ok.

Weed is not gonna keep someone from Heaven though... Just sayin' you cannot possibly up hold the scripture and say that. It will make the task HARD, but not impossible.

Oats, I should say that if you wish to become a shepherd of men it would be advised that you kick the habit, since there are certain expectations that pastors are held to and normal people are not. And the Bible talks about this.

watchman F said:
I have smoked a ton of marijuana...lol, before I was saved of course, and the fact that sugar is bad for you doesn't make getting stoned ok.

It could be said as well that just because some don't agree with it, getting stoned is not not inherently wrong.

Back