Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Sheesh, what passes for "Christian" these days

Pard said:
Weed is not gonna keep someone from Heaven though... Just sayin' you cannot possibly up hold the scripture and say that. It will make the task HARD, but not impossible.

Oats, I should say that if you wish to become a shepherd of men it would be advised that you kick the habit, since there are certain expectations that pastors are held to and normal people are not. And the Bible talks about this.
I am not saying Oats can't go to Heaven as if smoking weed in the unpardenable sin. however if you continue to smoke weed until the day you die you will not go to Heaven. When one gets born again they have to eventually give up worldly activities, if they don't then the chances are they were never born again in the first place.

The real question is can someone be saved who loves weed more than God, and if you love God more than weed than why not just give it up and make God happy.

Lance_Iguana said:
I don't want to distract anymore from this topic, so when I return on Monday. I'll make a thread about the drug war. ;)

That could be an interesting topic.

By the way, welcome back. It's nice to see you back on the board.

cheers

seekandlisten said:
watchman F said:
I have smoked a ton of marijuana...lol, before I was saved of course, and the fact that sugar is bad for you doesn't make getting stoned ok.

It could be said as well that just because some don't agree with it, getting stoned is not not inherently wrong.
Sooo, hmmm, you think christian should be going around getting stoned?

watchman F said:
Pard said:
Weed is not gonna keep someone from Heaven though... Just sayin' you cannot possibly up hold the scripture and say that. It will make the task HARD, but not impossible.

Oats, I should say that if you wish to become a shepherd of men it would be advised that you kick the habit, since there are certain expectations that pastors are held to and normal people are not. And the Bible talks about this.
I am not saying Oats can't go to Heaven as if smoking weed in the unpardenable sin. however if you continue to smoke weed until the day you die you will not go to Heaven. When one gets born again they have to eventually give up worldly activities, if they don't then the chances are they were never born again in the first place.

The real question is can someone be saved who loves weed more than God, and if you love God more than weed than why not just give it up and make God happy.

watchman F said:

What one chooses to do in their spare time is entirely up to them. I don't think it has anything to do with your religious preference.

seekandlisten said:
watchman F said:

What one chooses to do in their spare time is entirely up to them. I don't think it has anything to do with your religious preference.
True Christianity is not a religion it is a relationship. The idea that smoking weed has no effect on my relationship with God is like saying dating another woman would have no effect on my relationship with my wife. When one really is in love with Jesus they will not date sin any longer.

Now I think we've wandered from what is a clear case of sin, for one can point to clear, concise texts that condemn fornication as sin, to areas that are more matters of Christian liberty and Christian conscience.

Our Lord told us that it's not what goes into our mouths that causes sin. I don't think there is any substance that is sinful in of itself. Many things can be for both good and bad. Sugar can make a cake that tastes sweet on a person's wedding day, it is also a source of energy for the body. It can also kill a diabetic. Morphine can give a sick person rest and a respite from pain, or cause someone who should be hale and hearty to be a wasted addict. It's not the substance itself, it is what we, as partakers of the substance does with it.

The most important thing about pot is that it is illegal. So, because we as Christians are to obey the laws of the land, it is a violation of God's commandment to smoke it. Should Christians work towards over turning marijuana laws? I won't, but it's a matter of one's conscience. I can't judge another's heart in the matter.

The other aspect of pot is, while there are those who can drink a glass of wine with some spaghetti, or have a beer with some bratwurst sandwiches, and drunkenness is no part of it, there is usually just one reason and one reason alone to smoke pot and that is to get the buzz. And, as we are commanded not to drink to the point of drunkenness, we can easily apply the spirit of the law and not smoke to the point of being high. But, if one isn't smoking pot to get high, just what is the point? Who smokes pot because it tastes good?

However, my thread is more about concrete sinful activity. There are no "two sides" to the story of fornication. It is clearly sinful behavior, and one that one Christian parent should be able to expect other Christians parents to not allow when one's child is at their house!

In response to the current threads that are making the assertion that there is nothing wrong with getting stoned, then I would say that there should be nothing wrong with getting drunk as well...and yet drunkenness is clearly condemned in the Scriptures. I can dig up the chapter and verse if you need me to.

watchman F said:
True Christianity is not a religion it is a relationship.

Many claim the 'truth' but few can act it. And yes Christianity is a religion no matter how one looks at it.

watchman F said:
The idea that smoking weed has no effect on my relationship with God is like saying dating another woman would have no effect on my relationship with my wife.

How is that even close to being the same. There is a clear commandment about adultery as well as it is clearly harming someone else so clearly not a good analogy to be compared to smoking weed. I asked you what the basis for asserting that smoking weed will keep one out of heaven and you seem to be avoiding the question. How exactly does smoking weed affect your relationship with God? Many claim to smoke weed as part of their religion.

watchman F said:
When one really is in love with Jesus they will not date sin any longer.

Again I have to ask, what basis do you draw upon to claim smoking weed is a 'sin'?

There is a clear correlation between getting stoned and getting drunk. And, while the Scriptures are silent on being stoned, drunkenness is clearly condemned.

handy said:
In response to the current threads that are making the assertion that there is nothing wrong with getting stoned, then I would say that there should be nothing wrong with getting drunk as well...and yet drunkenness is clearly condemned in the Scriptures. I can dig up the chapter and verse if you need me to.

Some good points handy and I thing it comes down to the verse you pointed out, "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." (Mat. 15:11) Over consumption of anything usually isn't a good thing. To me it comes down to the actions caused by smoking or drinking that can become the problem. Moderation is a good thing.

cheers

watchman F said:
[Sooo, hmmm, you think christian should be going around getting stoned?
I really want to do a psychological analysis on why so many Chrsitians I've met always flop to extremes on topics.

I didn't say what you are implying, and I am offend every time false dichotomies are thrown at me. No issue is black and white.

What I'm saying is that claiming marijuana is some great sin, in a culture of Christians that use both Caffeine, Nicotine, and food supplements. Is hypocritical.

I didn't go pro or con on marijuana, just pointing out a common misconception.

seekandlisten said:
watchman F said:
True Christianity is not a religion it is a relationship.

Many claim the 'truth' but few can act it. And yes Christianity is a religion no matter how one looks at it.
The Christianity i practice is not religion, and I am not even sure most ''religious''christians are even saved.

[quote="watchman F":2opz2yrc]
The idea that smoking weed has no effect on my relationship with God is like saying dating another woman would have no effect on my relationship with my wife.

[quote:2opz2yrc]How is that even close to being the same. There is a clear commandment about adultery as well as it is clearly harming someone else so clearly not a good analogy to be compared to smoking weed.
Who said anything about adultery. I never said sleeping with the woman i meant going on a date.

Many claim to smoke weed as part of their religion.
It is not a part of the christian religion

watchman F said:
When one really is in love with Jesus they will not date sin any longer.

Again I have to ask, what basis do you draw upon to claim smoking weed is a 'sin'?
[/quote:2opz2yrc][/quote:2opz2yrc]If you do not understand why or how smoking weed is sinful then I have to assume you are not christian.

watchman F said:
If you do not understand why or how smoking weed is sinful then I have to assume you are not christian.

Well, I've been asking for you to show me yet you seem unable. And no I am not a Christian.

Everyone seems to be missing the clear and obvious sin!

Weed is ILLEGAL. Breaking the law IS sinful. There, it does not matter anymore than that. It is a sin for it is illegal. End of story.

:topictotopic

I'm not justifying smoking...If anyone needs something other than God to be happy...than that is a sad person...That being said I'm leaving it alone...It's not all that anyway...I could get arrested :nono2

:silly I'm very unproductive when I smoke anyhow
:topictotopic :topictotopic :readbible

Pard said:

Weed is ILLEGAL. Breaking the law IS sinful. There, it does not matter anymore than that. It is a sin for it is illegal. End of story.

Yep!! You got it, Pard.

And, I'm still waiting for someone to show that there isn't a direct correlation between getting stoned and getting drunk...and we all know that drunkenness is condemned as sin.

Or, does anyone really want to try to claim that they smoke pot, but not for the buzz. :chin

Pard said:

In my country I can legally buy cannibas seeds and soil but I don't dare mix them together otherwise I just committed a 'horrendous' crime. Do you know why it's illegal? Due to greed and the money to be made off of the lumber and cotton industry. 1 acre of hemp is equivalent to 4 acres of trees. One of the most useful plants 'God' gave us yet some seem to have an issue with it due to mainly to money that can be made by using cotton, lumber, pharmacuetacals, etc.

cheers

handy said:
Pard said:

Yep!! You got it, Pard.

And, I'm still waiting for someone to show that there isn't a direct correlation between getting stoned and getting drunk...and we all know that drunkenness is condemned as sin.

Or, does anyone really want to try to claim that they smoke pot, but not for the buzz. :chin

Some people do it legally for pain... :shrug

seekandlisten said:
watchman F said:
If you do not understand why or how smoking weed is sinful then I have to assume you are not christian.

Well, I've been asking for you to show me yet you seem unable. And no I am not a Christian.
I could tell.
1st Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The word sorceries in the Greek Pharmekeia means to use medicine, or drugs, or to practice magic. Revelation 9 says.

Revelation 9: 21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Using mind altering substances for recreation is sin.

Back