Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should a Christian confess and repent theirs sins?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

iLOVE

Or because we are a Christian and under Grace, and have been totally already been forgiven it is not necessary?

If God knows the heart, then he already knows when im repentful in the heart, so I dont think I need to tell him verbally what he already knows, if thats what you mean by 'confess'.

Its just a personal thought and i have no scripture to back me up, so if scipture says something else you may correct me on this.

Last edited:
I think its good to take a self-inventory. I've been trying to do that lately, and I've prayed to God to show me some of what I know are my bigger problems--self-love, pride, laziness, self-indulgence, etc.--so I can change.

I can't think of any Scripture that demands an itemized list, but I think it is good for us to reflect upon our (mis)deeds so we can change (for the better).

And yet we are instructed to pray always (1 Thessalonians 5:17, Ephesians 6:18) even though God already knows what we need before we ask (Matthew 6:8).

I personally think it is important to note and confess our sins regularly. Without, one is in danger of the "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome. We are creatures of habit and living our lives without calling to remembrance our transgressions against our Lord, it can be too easy for us to take God's grace for granted.

Just my :twocents

And yet we are instructed to pray always (1 Thessalonians 5:17, Ephesians 6:18) even though God already knows what we need before we ask (Matthew 6:8).

I personally think it is important to note and confess our sins regularly. Without, one is in danger of the "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome. We are creatures of habit and living our lives without calling to remembrance our transgressions against our Lord, it can be too easy for us to take God's grace for granted.

Just my :twocents

Do you mean pray and confess out loud?, or in the heart?.

A spirit to spirit relationship with God, you know, the one that people call a deluded fruitcake who talks to an imaginary friend he created in his own mind.

Out loud or silently, both to be from our heart and should be. If not from our heart it is meaningless babble is it not?

Ephesians 1:7
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
Trying confessing every sin makes a Christian sin-conscious instead of Christ-conscious! Which puts you under the "Law."

Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:20-21 NASB

Last edited:
Or because we are a Christian and under Grace, and have been totally already been forgiven it is not necessary?
Yes, we are commanded to confess:

James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. (ESV)

1 John 1:8-10, 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (ESV)

Ephesians 1:7
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
Trying confessing every sin makes a Christian sin-conscious instead of Christ-conscious! Which puts you under the "Law."

Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:20-21 NASB
5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. 1 John 1:5-10 NKJV

God is telling us that He only operates in the light. You must confess your sins that He reveals to you (This Activates The Cross To Deal With Sin). (Bonus) And He will be faithful to cleanse us from all other sins that you do not know about (The Blood Of Jesus Cleanse Us, Heals Us, Deliver Us, And So Much More!). Failure to do so, you are in darkness and you are a liar. You have know fellowship with Him.

Any Christian who doesn't confess and repent their sins is rooted in pride: The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the evil way, and the perverse mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13 NKJV

Eph. 2:

That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

But since we know this ! We should be doing our best to be as God would want us to be !

we are all sinners ! And God knows this..............

5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. 1 John 1:5-10 NKJV

God is telling us that He only operates in the light. You must confess your sins that He reveals to you (This Activates The Cross To Deal With Sin). (Bonus) And He will be faithful to cleanse us from all other sins that you do not know about (The Blood Of Jesus Cleanse Us, Heals Us, Deliver Us, And So Much More!). Failure to do so, you are in darkness and you are a liar. You have know fellowship with Him.

Any Christian who doesn't confess and repent their sins is rooted in pride: The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the evil way, and the perverse mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13 NKJV

How would you interpret the following?

1 John 2:12 John’s Purpose in Writing

I am writing to you who are God’s children because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus.

How would you interpret the following?

1 John 2:12 John’s Purpose in Writing

I am writing to you who are God’s children because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus.
KJV - "Little Children" refers to those who have been saved only a short time.

The phrase, "Because your sins are forgiven you," refers to the greatest blessing that any human being could ever know or understand. God's forgiveness includes the putting away of our sins, their guilt, defilement, and penalty, which was done at the Cross. Our sins were put away at the Cross, with the result that they are never more remembered against us. Our Lord cried on the Cross, "It is finished."

The phrase, "For His Name's sake," pertains to what He did at the Cross. Paul in Philippians 2:9-11 tells us that in view of the self-emptying of our Lord as He chose the Cross rather than remain in Glory ("Who instead of the joy then present with Him, endured the Cross." Hebrews 12:2).

KJV - "Little Children" refers to those who have been saved only a short time.

The phrase, "Because your sins are forgiven you," refers to the greatest blessing that any human being could ever know or understand. God's forgiveness includes the putting away of our sins, their guilt, defilement, and penalty, which was done at the Cross. Our sins were put away at the Cross, with the result that they are never more remembered against us. Our Lord cried on the Cross, "It is finished."

The phrase, "For His Name's sake," pertains to what He did at the Cross. Paul in Philippians 2:9-11 tells us that in view of the self-emptying of our Lord as He chose the Cross rather than remain in Glory ("Who instead of the joy then present with Him, endured the Cross." Hebrews 12:2).

Ok I think what I'm trying ask is do you believe that we need to confess our sins to be forgiven? Also on a side note what do you think sin is? Jesus himself said that he must go back to the Father so that the Holy Spirit should come to convict the world of sin and that sin was unbelief in him. I'm not being obtuse but asking your thoughts as I find the topic of sin as we define it as being doing things wrong confusing. To me to confess is to agree with God that when the Holy Spirit tells us we have walked in the flesh that was not right and agree with God but then agree with God that we have been forgive and thank him, then repent which is to change our mind with a view to walking away from it and allowing the Holy Spirit to work in us. Hope that makes sense.

As Christians we confess our sins that "The Holy Spirit" reveals to you, And He will be faithful to cleanse us from all other sins that you do not know about. This is imperative that keeps us in fellowship and in alignment with Our Father In Heaven. That activates the Cross to deal with the sin(s). The Power of God is the Cross of Christ. All sin has consequences. Though are sins are remitted, they create wounds in our soul that brings demons of sickness, disease, infirmities, sexual immorality, financial problems, marriage problems, pride, gossip, double mindedness, abortion, homosexuality, mental illness, and so much more. Remember there is a difference between salvation and sanctification.

Repentance means change of mind. Willful sin means unbelief...you don't believe what Jesus did so there is no more sacrifice. That's when the schoolmaster "The Law" schools you until.... Now I say that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ at all from a slave, though he is master of all, 2 but is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by the father. Galatians 4:1-2 NKJV

Last edited:
Ilove...side question...

about the consequences of sin. Jesus came to set the captives free. I know a lot of conservative Christians are big on "forgiven, but ill effects of sin are still there to deal with," but...I dunno. Inner-transformation seems to be the name of the game with Christ. Healing seems to happen sometimes, too.

Now, are you saying that its thru ongoing sanctification that a once degenerate wretch is not only forgiven but made whole? I was saved by Pentecostals, who are big on the Holy Spirit and transformation, so...while sanctification is not a new concept for me, its one that I"m only now beginning to ponder and grasp to any meaningful extent.

Thanks.

Ilove...side question...

about the consequences of sin. Jesus came to set the captives free. I know a lot of conservative Christians are big on "forgiven, but ill effects of sin are still there to deal with," but...I dunno. Inner-transformation seems to be the name of the game with Christ. Healing seems to happen sometimes, too.

Now, are you saying that its thru ongoing sanctification that a once degenerate wretch is not only forgiven but made whole? I was saved by Pentecostals, who are big on the Holy Spirit and transformation, so...while sanctification is not a new concept for me, its one that I"m only now beginning to ponder and grasp to any meaningful extent.

Thanks.
My Brother in Christ,
Sanctification is a lifetime on going process. That's how we move from Glory to Glory. Anything other than faith in Christ and the Cross (i.e. finish work of Christ) is SPIRITUAL ADULTRY because you are rising up another god. That includes "Fasting" if done for the wrong reason.

The Holy Spirit, He Works strictly within the parameters of the "Finished Work" i.e., "the Cross of Christ", which demands that our Faith be exclusively in the Cross of Christ. The reason is simple, that's were the price was paid, and the victory was forever won (Romans 6:1-14; 1 Cor. 2:2; Gal. 5; Gal. 6:14; Eph. 2:13-18; Col. 2:14-15).

The Holy Spirit doesn't require much of us, but He does require one thing, and without reservation. Our Faith must be exclusively be in Christ and the Cross, understanding that this is God's Prescribed Order of Victory. When we say "victory" we are speaking Victory in every capacity, be it spiritual, financial, domestically, physical, etc. God's Prescribed Order of Victory is "the Cross of Christ."

The Way Of The Spirit
Focus: The Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
Object Of Faith: The Cross of Christ (Romans 6:1-14)
Power Source: The Holy Spirit (Romans 8:1-2, 11)
Results: Victory (Romans 6:14)

Man's Way
Focus: Works.
Object Of Faith: Performance.
Power Source: Self.
Results: Defeat!

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

Back