Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Christians rethink Hell?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
There are three views of hell commonly held by Christians.
1. The Eternal Torment View (Hell consists of eternal conscious torment)
2. Conditional Immortality (aka Annihilationism, Immortality is only granted to those who are in Christ, those who reject Christ ultimately perish)
3. Universalism (After a period of time in Hell, everyone enters Heaven)

The podcast is a debate between View 1 and View 2, and whether Conditional Immortality is gaining ground in Evangelical Christianity.

Last edited:
3) isn't a Christian position. that negates the cross and why we need it. all will repent and be right with god.

Thanks Tim im with number 1.I cant imagine God allowing murderers, molesters and such into Heaven.Like lucifer they could very well try to corrupt it.Whats means more in the grand scheme? a uncorrupted Heaven or possibly a corrupt one at the expense of a few souls? Ive been called blasphemous but I look at everything including scripture objectively and practically.

Thanks Tim im with number 1.I cant imagine God allowing murderers, molesters and such into Heaven.Like lucifer they could very well try to corrupt it.Whats means more in the grand scheme? a uncorrupted Heaven or possibly a corrupt one at the expense of a few souls? Ive been called blasphemous but I look at everything including scripture objectively and practically.
I agree, I do not think that God will grant eternal life in heaven the wicked. I'm a Conditionalist, I believe that the Bible clearly states that the wicked will be destroyed and will be no more. The wicked will not enter heaven, but they also will not inherit eternal life in order to be tormented forever.

(One of the new guidelines states "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding." If you are going to say something like " I believe that the Bible clearly states" then you need to quote the scripture that says this along with it's chapter, verse and if applicable it's version. Obadiah)

Last edited by a moderator:
3) isn't a Christian position. that negates the cross and why we need it. all will repent and be right with god.
I also do not agree with the #3 position, but I believe that their position is that the cross makes eternal life possible for everyone. (Their texts include the words "for God so loved the world", and "So all will be saved")

Again, this is not MY position, but I would like to hear from people who hold this position.

I also do not agree with the #3 position, but I believe that their position is that the cross makes eternal life possible for everyone.
universalist teach that all faiths are the same way to the god of different personalities. ie a muslim and jew and Christian are on the same footing. there is no right or wrong path. most universalists teach that.

universalist teach that all faiths are the same way to the god of different personalities. ie a muslim and jew and Christian are on the same footing. there is no right or wrong path. most universalists teach that.
Oh, you are correct. I meant the Christian subset of universalism. I don't want to start to defend their position, as I do not agree with it and so I couldn't mount an adequate defense of it.
Why don't we wait to see if there are any supporters of #3 who want to defend that view?

Oh, you are correct. I meant the Christian subset of universalism. I don't want to start to defend their position, as I do not agree with it and so I couldn't mount an adequate defense of it.
Why don't we wait to see if there are any supporters of #3 who want to defend that view?
uu is allowed only in one on debate. there are no Christian univeralists. that is a misonomer. akin to Christian athiests, Christian Satanists etc. I live near a uu church.

If someone doesn't agree with either #1) or #2), does that mean they have to believe #3) ?

I mean, for instance, don't all the "literal" Revelation readers have some reject group living right outside the gates of the Holy City?
( C22:V15 )

Last edited:
If someone doesn't agree with either #1) or #2), does that mean they have to believe #3) ?

I mean, for instance, don't all the "literal" Revelation readers have some reject group living right outside the gates of the Holy City?
( C22:V15 )

That's 2.5. :)

Our "Hell" that we worry so much about is often referred to, in the Bible, as "Punishment." When you punish your children, what is your hoped-for outcome? Are you determined to quit work, and stay home, beating them 24 hours of every day, for the rest of time?

A reminder to all members: Please read the new guidelines for posting and responding to threads at this link:
http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...-in-the-apologetics-and-theology-forum.57557/

This statement now needs to be accompanied by a quote, chapter, and verse reference to at least one Bible passage you are referring to when you say "...is often referred to, in the Bible, as "Punishment." Thanks.

Since scripture says that Jesus has the keys to hell and death, it implies that he has the ability to set the prisoners free. There is also a second death described as the lake of fire where even death itself will be thrown into it.

I don't know what to make of the idea that souls will be tormented there forever, as if they were being tortured endlessly by a compassionate and merciful God. That doesn't make sense.

The scripture says that "the smoke" of their torment rises forever. The imagery here may mean other things than torture being inflicted as eternal punishment. It may mean that there is a devotion to a false imagery of God that will not accept on faith that God is compassionate and merciful and Holy. The existence of this is on display in this current age revealed in the wickedness and sin of mankind. Therefore it is plausible that those in the fire exist as a byword, showing the plight of those who would accept that God is not incorruptible.

(A reminder to all members: Please read the new guidelines for posting and responding to threads at this link:

http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...-in-the-apologetics-and-theology-forum.57557/

A statement that refers to something scripture says must now be accompanied by the actual scripture that says that, such as a quote, chapter, and verse reference to at least one Bible passage you are referring to. Thanks. )

I tend to keep in mind that in eternity, things are perceived differently than from a temporal point of view. Therefore I envision this second death as a replay in time, of the events of this world, wherein angels and men took God for granted and what became of it. This way, the compassionate and Holy God is not torturing people for not Loving Him. Instead, the torment is seen over and over like a historical documentation, retold or relived for the sake of those in eternity as a reminder of why God is trustworthy and praise worthy.
Isaiah 66:23-24King James Version (KJV)
23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith theLord.
24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

There are three views of hell commonly held by Christians.
1. The Eternal Torment View (Hell consists of eternal conscious torment) BIBLICAL
2. Conditional Immortality (aka Annihilationism, Immortality is only granted to those who are in Christ, those who reject Christ ultimately perish) HERETICAL
3. Universalism (After a period of time in Hell, everyone enters Heaven) HERETICAL

The podcast is a debate between View 1 and View 2, and whether Conditional Immortality is gaining ground in Evangelical Christianity
Not surprising. Christianity at large has gone into apostasy.

1. The Eternal Torment View (Hell consists of eternal conscious torment) BIBLICAL
2. Conditional Immortality (aka Annihilationism, Immortality is only granted to those who are in Christ, those who reject Christ ultimately perish) HERETICAL
3. Universalism (After a period of time in Hell, everyone enters Heaven) HERETICAL

Not surprising. Christianity at large has gone into apostasy.
Please review the new forum guidelines here, Guidelines. Open-ended unsupported responses are not adequate.
"Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding."

Here is a recent Christian Radio Program about two of the three major views of Hell.

http://www.premierchristianradio.co...te-debate-the-traditional-conditionalist-view

What do you think?

I'm with you Tim, when the few verse quoted for ETC are looked at correctly the doctrine falls apart.

(Under the new guidelines for the A&T forum to make this statement you should quote the scripture that you are referring to with chapter and verse reference, and then explain what you feel is the correct way of interpreting them that makes the doctrine fall apart.)

Back