Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Churches hold emotional worship services?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
D

Dave Slayer

Should Churches hold emotional worship services? What I mean by that is should music be allowed that brings a state of emotion into the Church to where they "feel good"?

Dave Slayer said:
Should Churches hold emotional worship services? What I mean by that is should music be allowed that brings a state of emotion into the Church?

Dave, are you getting paid by the post? :)

Reformed said:
Dave Slayer said:
Should Churches hold emotional worship services? What I mean by that is should music be allowed that brings a state of emotion into the Church?

Dave, are you getting paid by the post? :)

Nope! I don't take tips either. :biggrin

no, that's not what worship is solely for, but it can be part of the worship expercience. Reformed, he loves to post.

God gives him fresh baked cookies for each thread

I don't think so. I think services should only be about learning about the Lord and studying the bible and finding ways to help other people. When you bring in the music and the singing, you bring about false feelings which you mistake for a connection with God. You could hold a satanic service and sing songs and play music and you would still get the good feelings. Does that mean you're connecting with Satan? No. I believe God wants us to learn about him and have a relationship with him, not sing about how wonderful and awesome he is. He already knows these things.

The worship of God, the Father, in the Lord Jesus Christ is a blend of studying the Word, praying, singing, prophesying and speaking in tongues, teaching, baptizing.

Some Scriptures to guide us in this are the following:
Matt 26:30
30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives. KJV

Eph 5:19
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; KJV

Col 3:15-17
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. KJV

1 Corinthians 14 is a needful guide in the worship process. The Body of Jesus Christ are all brethren, even the angel reproved the disciple/apostle John for worshiping the messenger on the isle of Patmos.

Joe

I have been meditating a bit on this lately. and i think it is tricky.because of flesh involved. Firstly i do not think there is anything wrong with having music and singing. I think some churches use certian music, not to praise the Lord but to get the flesh of people stirred up and that is wrong. others have their focus so much on the music or singers in front that they are not about the Lord at all. Some just want to dance around in their flesh.

on the other hand, some churches and people are of the opinion that we should never have emotion and that emotions are bad. this is a huge problem. while it is true that the flesh can use the emotions wrongly it is also true that when our flesh is ruled over by the Spirit of God our emotions will be too and there is nothing wrong with godly emotions. There is nothing wrong with being so full of the joy of the Lord that you are weeping, or so content that you are smiling etc.. There is nothing wrong with feeling emotions towards the Lord and our brethern when they are filtered by the Holy Spirit and not run by the flesh.

Some are spiritually dead so they also are emotionally dead in traditions that weigh them down and are not what we see in the bible. Others are so flesh driven emotionally alive that they may be spiritually dead but there is a balance. So we should have music and singing, not in a dead way, but also not in a purposefully flesh filled way and then make sure what we do is right before God and pray that God will h elp our brethern to be right with him in this also.

Dave Slayer said:
Should Churches hold emotional worship services? What I mean by that is should music be allowed that brings a state of emotion into the Church to where they "feel good"?

I would hope that every service that worships God has an emotional impact, which increases the love and understanding of God. :yes

joechrist said:
I don't think so. I think services should only be about learning about the Lord and studying the bible and finding ways to help other people. When you bring in the music and the singing, you bring about false feelings which you mistake for a connection with God. You could hold a satanic service and sing songs and play music and you would still get the good feelings. Does that mean you're connecting with Satan? No. I believe God wants us to learn about him and have a relationship with him, not sing about how wonderful and awesome he is. He already knows these things.

Do you belong to a church? Do they sing hymns? Most people that profess Christ claim to know Him; but only a few does He know. Matt. 7:13-14.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back