Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Divorced Christians Obey Jesus?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I do understand how 1 Cor. 7:15 can seem perplexing at first.
The passage was and is easily understood. What left room for misinterpretation were your previous comments on it and how the structure of your words inferred that a believer could divorce a non believer. In actuality, it says the opposite. A believer may not divorce on the grounds of an unbelieving spouse. I would pass this caution on to you, that you pay special attention to your words because your words on their own could cause one to stumble.

A dictionary would serve to define adultery and sexual immorality.
Would you be so kind to provide a dictionary definition from your preferred dictionary? There are so many online dictionaries I really just want to make sure were using the same definition. You may not be aware of this, but not all dictionaries give good definitions. Some online dictionaries aren’t even authorized or accredited and aren’t worth the screen space they take up.

No ,Meaning you asked the question and I gave you my answer.

JLB
Yes, well done.
The passage was and is easily understood. What left room for misinterpretation were your previous comments on it and how the structure of your words inferred that a believer could divorce a non believer. In actuality, it says the opposite. A believer may not divorce on the grounds of an unbelieving spouse. I would pass this caution on to you, that you pay special attention to your words because your words on their own could cause one to stumble.

Would you be so kind to provide a dictionary definition from your preferred dictionary? There are so many online dictionaries I really just want to make sure were using the same definition. You may not be aware of this, but not all dictionaries give good definitions. Some online dictionaries aren’t even authorized or accredited and aren’t worth the screen space they take up.
Perhaps it is best to avoid those kinds of unfounded inferences within a discussion. Nobody is accountable for the imaginations of others.

Thanks for agreeing.

Go ahead and pick your favorite dictionary to use. Lol.

Why would someone be in adultery because the remarried?
Only when a previous divorce is not because of unfaithfulness, or is because of unequal yoking with an unbeliever.
The structure of your writing is from a believers perspective. On its own, it infers that a believer can divorce an unbelieving spouse based on their unbelief.
. A believer may not divorce on the grounds of an unbelieving spouse.
Perhaps it is best to avoid those kinds of unfounded inferences within a discussion. Nobody is accountable for the imaginations of others.
Your reply sounds like unfounded, emotional babble. Actually, it sounds much like trolling to receive a negative response. You are aware that is a violation of our Terms of Service which you agreed to when you signed up for this service.

Consider this a friendly reminder.

Now, to the matter of divorce.

1Corinthians 7 Please note, this is Paul writing.
12 To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. (Q)Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you[b] (R)to peace.16 For how do you know, wife, (S)whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

So we see that Paul teaches the believer, male or female not to divorce their unbelieving spouse. However, if the unbelieving spouse wishes to divorce, then so shall it be.

My point. Divorce is not to be initiated by the believer.

Reactions: JLB
Your reply sounds like unfounded, emotional babble. Actually, it sounds much like trolling to receive a negative response. You are aware that is a violation of our Terms of Service which you agreed to when you signed up for this service.

Consider this a friendly reminder.

Now, to the matter of divorce.

1Corinthians 7 Please note, this is Paul writing.
12 To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. (Q)Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you[b] (R)to peace.16 For how do you know, wife, (S)whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

So we see that Paul teaches the believer, male or female not to divorce their unbelieving spouse. However, if the unbelieving spouse wishes to divorce, then so shall it be.

My point. Divorce is not to be initiated by the believer.
I see you presume to speak "We" for people you are neither qualified nor assigned to represent. Is this true? Are you able to show integrity upon this?

I am still laughing about the "Glory Woman" speaking in the Spirit about ripping me a new ... one. Lol. Is that consistent with your TOS?

Give a Godly answer. Thanks in advance.

see you presume to speak "We" for people you are neither qualified nor assigned to represent. Is this true? Are you able to show integrity upon this?
The “We” would be anyone with a basic comprehension of the English language. While Paul can write some very confusing things in many of his letters, chapter 7 of his first letter to the Church in Corinth is not one of them.

I am still laughing about the "Glory Woman" speaking in the Spirit about ripping me a new ... one. Lol. Is that consistent with your TOS?
Can you please provide a quote for reference? I would ask that you create a new thread in the Talk with the Staff forum if you believe we are violating the TOS or what’s in our staff expectations. Please know that any further grievances will be deleted from public view.

Give a Godly answer. Thanks in advance.
Proverbs 30:33
Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.

Reactions: JLB
The “We” would be anyone with a basic comprehension of the English language. While Paul can write some very confusing things in many of his letters, chapter 7 of his first letter to the Church in Corinth is not one of them.

Can you please provide a quote for reference? I would ask that you create a new thread in the Talk with the Staff forum if you believe we are violating the TOS or what’s in our staff expectations. Please know that any further grievances will be deleted from public view.

Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.

Post #112 in "Women Are To Be Well Behaved in Church."

Did you have something here to say? Women and feminized guys expect others to read their minds. Lol
Nobody understands the laws of God for righteousness because they are polluted by the world's way of thinking, so it's normal for churches to turn a blind eye to the unlawfulness and think that it somehow doesn't apply nowadays. It's true that the law of God cannot be modernized. It can only be left behind and thus those who promote it to be thrust out the door in violent force. That's the outcome of course from having broken the laws of God. They cannot stand in the light of the indignation, so just as they did to Jesus Christ, they must also extinguish the light in their midst. I have an example in mind, obviously.

"Whosoever shall marry her that is divorced commits adultery." Jesus in Matt. 5:32.
Is this true, or false? Yes? No? Have you married a divorced woman?
This issue cannot be modernized or explained away. There is no free pass, here.
Correct - no free pass. Otherwise we are NOT saved at all.

We hold to the position that Our Lord never sinned and fulfilled the Law of Moses. And yet, we hold that HE taught and did stuff that was against the Law. And if HE sinned, His death on the cross is invalidated. totally.

Deut 4:2
You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Deut 12:32
Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do; you shall not add to nor take away from it.

The Law was given to Israel. Our Lord was an adult Jewish male. As Paul said:

Gal 4:4
But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law,

So, If our Lord would have EVER added to or taken away from any point of the Law, it would have been a sin to Him. Did He sin? NO, NEVER.

So clearly He never taught against the Law of Moses. (this has MUCH more application than just the question of divorce) And what did the Law have to say about divorce?

Deut 24:1
When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house,

It goes on to talk about her marrying again, and not being able to re-marry her previous husband. Clearly the reason for divorce was to allow for re-marriage. And if our Lord spoke AGAINST that, He was guilty of teaching against the Law - a sin. As you said - no free passes. Not even for HIM.

I would submit that if your INTREPRETATION of what He said conflicts with the Law, then your intrepretation is in error and needs further investigation.

Back