Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Simple Thoughts On Promises

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 130

I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her." (Mark 14:9)

The woman about whom this was said may not have believed this herself when Jesus said it, but it has been proved true. As Jesus said, many a time she has been the topic of discussion all over the world as it is in our devotional today.

The story went in this manner:While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head. Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, "Why this waste of perfume? It could have been sold for more than a year's wages and the money given to the poor." And they rebuked her harshly. "Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. (Mark 14:3-8)

She, in fact was expressing her love for this man who was the Savior of the world. It was an act of adoration. Notice, there were no words spoken between Jesus and her. Her faith in Jesus was being demonstrated in a very subtle manner.

What about our love for Jesus? Is it being demonstrated in a manner wherein the Lord is pleased?
The question that we have to ask ourselves is this:What's the motive behind all that we do for the Lord? Is it for personal glory or does everything ultimately lead to total glorification of the Lord?

Jesus knows how much we love him even though others may have no idea at all of how near/ how far we are to the Lord. Nothing is hidden from him.

Does the value of our actions equal to what this unknown woman did to Jesus? If yes, then what we have done and are doing has much worth in the Lord's eyes. It will be like a sweet smelling sacrifice in the eyes of the Lord. Even though you may be unknown while living here on earth, one day, Jesus will testify about you in the presence of the Father and the angels. Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 131

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)

Life can be depressing; living can often be tormenting; yet we live on; thanks to the God of hope, Jesus Christ.

Times can be confusing when one is suffering; what must be the cause? is it sin? is it satan? is it a new virus? The answers are often not prompt. Yet the small and still voice of the God of hope instills peace.

Jacob had a very traumatic experience when his sons cheated him by telling him that his loving son Joseph had been killed by a wild animal.
He lost all hope and lamented for several years after that.

Later during the famine Joseph insisted that the brothers bring Benjamin to Egypt while Simeon was held back. When Jacob heard this, he said,
"You have bereaved me of my children: Joseph is no more, and Simeon is no more, and you would take Benjamin; all these things are against me." (Genesis 42:36)
"My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he alone is left. If harm should befall him on the journey you are taking, then you will bring my gray hair down to Sheol in sorrow." (Genesis 42:38)

Jacob thought everything was lost for him, yet the God of hope did a great miracle in his life. 22 years after he had last seen his beloved son, Jacob was reunited with Joseph.

Times can be depressing, life can be tormenting; yet the God of hope doesn't forget us. He says,
As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you......." (Isaiah 66:13)
May you abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. God Bless.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 132

"Take away the stone," he said. "But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days." Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" (John 11:39, 40)

We must always remember that God is able to do things beyond the limited thinkings of our brains. He is El Shaddai, the Almighty God.
The Word of God is peppered with numerous instances of how this All Powerful God did great miracles for his children. He has not changed. He's the same yesterday, today and forever.

What Martha said was not untrue. Logically thinking, she did not want Jesus to make a spectacle of himself and also she wanted to prevent ignominy coming to her family. What she thought was' "when Jesus couldn't do anything when my brother was alive, what could he possibly do now, that too after my brother's dead body has been in the cave for 4 days."

But the God of the Bible is one who split the Red Sea asunder, changed the bitter waters of Marah to sweet, tore apart the Jordan, gave manna to his children for around 40 years, destroyed enemies of Israel time and again, turned water into blood, turned water into wine, multiplied fish and loaves to feed multitudes, healed the sick, cleansed the lepers and did much much more and is even doing many things even today.

His work has not stopped. Jesus once said,
"My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working." (John 5:17)

He is still able do great miracles. Can you believe that?
Jesus Christ who spoke to Martha and said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" is still working and he says the same to you this day.

Jesus raised up dead Lazarus and proved that he is truly the resurrection and the life.

Remember, nothing is too hard for your Almighty God. He said,
"I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me? (Jeremiah 32:27)
That's his own words and not mine. Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 133

Do not be afraid, O worm Jacob, O little Israel, for I myself will help you, declares the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. (Isaiah 41:14)

Have you ever felt insignificant? Not of much worth or any at all?
It happens sometimes to most believer's and to few believer's many a time. The title verse here speaks of worthlessness of Israel, God's own people. Jacob/Israel compared to a worm.

Bildad the Shuhite, one of Job's friends had this to say when Job suffered:
"Dominion and awe belong to God; he establishes order in the heights of heaven. Can his forces be numbered? Upon whom does his light not rise?
How then can a man be righteous before God? How can one born of woman be pure? If even the moon is not bright and the stars are not pure in his eyes, how much less man, who is but a maggot - a son of man, who is only a worm!" (Job 25:1-6)

....how much less man, who is but a maggot - a son of man, who is only a worm!........

Because of multiple pressing circumstances in life, some believer's consider their condition as that of Israel spoken of by God here i.e. little or insignificant.

What's the worth of a worm? Nothing, so as to say, yet the title verse speaks as if God even has a compassionate heart to a person who thinks he/she has no worth at all.

Israel lost all it's glory because of sins. They were in a hopeless situation; of little worth. Yet the Lord did not forsake them. He promised to help them.

And he will help you too. The Bible says,
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. (Isaiah 40:29)

Always remember that you are in the safe arms of God Almighty even though you are passing through a troublesome period in your life.
He says,
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 134

Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear. (Matthew 13:43)

Jesus stated this after telling his hearers a parable; in fact he spoke a series of parables on this occasion as he sat in a boat and the crowds stood on the shore. The parable that ended with the above statement was this:
Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away.
When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. "The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'
"'An enemy did this,' he replied. "The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?' "'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.'" (Matthew 13:24-30)

Jesus later explained the parable to his disciples:
"The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.
"As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 13:37-42)

Jesus ended by saying...Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father.

No one can take away the honor that will be bestowed on the righteous in the end. The Bible says,
But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall. (Malachi 4:2)

Shall we then wait for God's promises to be fulfilled?
May the Holy Spirit help us all. Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 135

For this God is our God forever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. (Psalm 48:14)

I guess one could not ask for a better guide in this earthly sojourn. But God does not guide anyone unless they choose to have a personal relationship with him.
Does he appear to be distant from you though you pray, sing and worship him? Try having a personal relationship with him like Father & Son or Father & Daughter.
The Bible says,
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God - (John 1:12)

As a child of God you have the privilege to ask him to guide you in every aspect of your life. You will be guided by the Holy Spirit who is always in you and with you after you become a child of God.
After liberating the Israelites from Egyptian bondage God Almighty chose to be with them. The Bible says,
By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. (Exodus 13:21)

The same thing is mentioned in the book of Nehemiah:
"Because of your great compassion you did not abandon them in the desert. By day the pillar of cloud did not cease to guide them on their path, nor the pillar of fire by night to shine on the way they were to take. (Nehemiah 9:19)

God has great compassion on you because you are his child. Whenever you call out "Father", he is there to hear you.
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, <"Abba,> Father." (Romans 8:15)

The psalmist Asaph sums up this matter in a wonderful way:
Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. (Psalm 73:23, 24)

Yes; we too as children of God can emphatically say,
For this God is our God forever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. (Psalm 48:14)

Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 136

Let those who love the LORD hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked. (Psalm 97:10)

Do you believe that? I mean the part of the verse above that says,
...."for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked."
All those escapes from accidents and sicknesses and terrifying situations. Do you think they all happened by chance?

Even when you did not know Christ, yet because you were chosen to be a part of his kingdom, God protected you. What's the proof? you may ask.

Here is something that the Lord had to say to King Cyrus who was a Gentile king, that of Persia.
"This is what the LORD says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut: I will go before you and will level the mountains ; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name. For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me. I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other. (Isaiah 45:1-6)

Notice these words...For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me. I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me....

Twice God says....though you do not acknowledge me...

You must remember that even when you had not acknowledged God, he was there to protect you and deliver you from the wicked one because you were chosen by him to be a part of his kingdom. Now that you have acknowledged Jesus as Lord and Savior, his promises have great value in your life. Hold on to his promises.

The Lord has this to say to you today:
Be strong and courageous....(Joshua 1:6,7,9)
God bless you.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 137

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (John 20:29)

Do you believe that Jesus is with you, to be specific, near you, as you read this devotional? You can't see him yet you believe he is with you? Wonderful! Jesus says you are blessed if you believe that.

Many a time, we feel Jesus is so very far away especially when we are suffering. We feel he doesn't seem to care even though we pray with faith. He just keeps quiet. We often wonder why he does that?

His divine purposes are often difficult to understand. But his assurance is that he is with us, that's why one of his names is "Immanuel" meaning God with us.

So what's the agenda of sleeping calmly in the boat when his disciples' knees are knocking because of a furious storm? Or that special appearance walking on the waters, one dark and windy night when his disciples had lost all hopes and were seeing ghosts?

Why can't life be easy? the disciples must have thought sometimes. But perhaps they did not then comprehend that he was shaping them up for greater things.

Moses was put in God's school of training for quite a while- around 40 years and just when he thought that life was all settled- good wife, 2 boys, good father-in-law, lot of sheep...God thought it was time for a new job for Moses. The hottest job in the middle east, so as to say...and Moses didn't want it... But God had his way..

He's going to lead you through some wonderful ways. Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised....You believe in him though you do not see him..you believe his Words; Jesus says "You are blessed."

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 138

Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared. (Proverbs 3:25,26)

What's our confidence? The things that we boast about is where our confidence lies. People of the world boast about things of the world. But what about the believer? The Apostle Paul has a few things to say to us regarding this:

Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things - and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 1:26-31)

And if the Lord is our confidence, the promise given above is for us. The promise exhorts us not to fear sudden disaster or the ruin that overtakes the wicked. The Lord will keep our foot from being snared.

Psalms 91 and 124 speak of the fowler's snare:
Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. (Psalm 91:3)
We have escaped like a bird out of the fowler's snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped. (Psalm 124:7)

Psalm 91:3 speaks of how God saves those who dwell in the shelter of the Most High and Psalm 124:7 speaks of deliverance for the one on whose side the Lord is.

If your confidence is in the Lord, he will save and deliver you too.
God bless.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 139

The LORD said to Gideon, "With the three hundred men that lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hands. Let all the other men go, each to his own place." (Judges 7:7)

7th book of the Bible, 7th Chapter, 7th verse...Wonderful Promise to Gideon.

The size of the armies of the enemy was astounding:
The Midianites, the Amalekites and all the other eastern peoples had settled in the valley, thick as locusts. Their camels could no more be counted than the sand on the seashore. (Judges 7:12)

Gideon set out with 32,000 men to fight the Midianites and the Amalekites. God told Gideon to ask all who were fearful to go home. 22,000 went back, 10,000 were left. Perhaps Gideon was satisfied that atleast 10,000 were left to fight against the enemy. But God had other plans. He told Gideon,
"There are still too many men. Take them down to the water, and I will sift them for you there. If I say, 'This one shall go with you,' he shall go; but if I say, 'This one shall not go with you,' he shall not go." So Gideon took the men down to the water. There the LORD told him, "Separate those who lap the water with their tongues like a dog from those who kneel down to drink." Three hundred men lapped with their hands to their mouths. All the rest got down on their knees to drink. (Judges 7:4-6)

And then came the promise--With the three hundred men that lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hands.

300 against a vast army. No, not 300. 300+ God Almighty. And then immediately the ratios change. 300 becomes 300+ omnipotence.
And no kind of permutations and combinations of the enemy can stand against the army of God.

Do you feel that your strength is little while fighting the evil forces arrayed against you? Remember that Jesus is with you. He's the one who disarmed the powers and authorities and made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. (Colossians 2:15)

300+ God Almighty proved to be too much for the Midianites and Amalekites. God gave a great victory to Gideon and the Israelites.

You, as a child of God are not alone in your war against satanic foes. It's (you+ God Almighty) against satan. So the battle becomes the Lord's and the victory is yours.

Glory! Hallelujah!

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 140

By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. (1 Corinthians 6:14)

As one reads of Apostle Paul making this statement, it is evident that he is convinced of the resurrection of Jesus from the dead and also that those who believe in the sin-atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ and live according to God's Word will likewise be resurrected by the power of God.

What wonderful hope that instills in the life of a believer in Jesus Christ!

With so many daunting problems to be faced each day while living in this world, the Word of God brings hope and assurance for them who believe in the Lord.

The Bible says,
Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. (2 Corinthians 5:1)

The fleshly body will see decay some day when the blood stops flowing, the breath is no more taken and someone declares 'one' brain dead. Yet, the spirit and soul live on and for the believer there's a promise that will be fulfilled- they will receive an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.

What a blessed hope. Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 141

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him. (Hebrews 9:27, 28)

The writer of Hebrews talks about the return of Jesus Christ in this very wonderful passage where he also speaks of salvation through Jesus Christ.

Interestingly the point that stands out here is that Christ is coming back for those who are waiting for him. Immediately the question arises of whether the dead are also waiting for him. In fact they are; and the following verses attest to this fact.

"Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out - those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. (John 5:28, 29)
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

He is coming to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him. Are you waiting for him?

The Bible says,
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. (James 5:7)
You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. (James 5:8)

....Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22:20)

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 142

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.â€Â(Jeremiah 1:5)

So many things happened without Jeremiah even realizing it. He was known by God before he was formed in the womb, he was set apart by God before he was born and he was appointed by God as a prophet to the nations.

Jeremiah was one of the priests at Anathoth in the territory of Benjamin. Here the Lord was calling him to begin his prophetic ministry to the Israelites. He replied to the call in this manner: "Ah, Sovereign LORD," "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." (Jeremiah 1:6)

There's always a tendency for us to judge us by ourselves. How good we are or how capable we are. Jeremiah did not know what the Lord actually wanted of him, so he replied in that manner. But we must remember that when God calls one to the ministry to do his work of proclaiming the Gospel, he is the one who equips us for the task.
Thus the Lord replied,
"Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant." (Jeremiah 1:7-10)

Jeremiah prophesied to the Israelites at a stage when they were living in rebellion to the Lord. He prophesied judgement and destruction and deportation. He was not popular because people did not want to hear about impending judgement and destruction. That's why he had to suffer at the hands of his fellow men. Yet he was faithful to the Lord who had called him to the prophetic ministry.

God expects us to be faithful to his call and do the work that he has entrusted us with. Whether people listen to us or not is not the issue we have to be unduly worried about. It's whether we are faithful.
When God called another priest Ezekiel to the prophetic ministry, he told him one thing very clearly:
You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious. (Ezekiel 2:7)

Let us then, who have been called by him to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ be faithful to him. God bless.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 143

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. (Isaiah 42:16)

Another wonderful promise from the book of Isaiah. The Israelites were not literally blind yet their living demonstrated their blindness. Here God promises them to lead them by ways they have not known. But why does God want to lead them by ways they have not known?

Long back God answered this question through Moses when he lead the Israelites through the wilderness to Canaan. He said,

Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.
He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. (Deuteronomy 8:2,3)

The Lord again warned them through Moses,
When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. (Deuteronomy 8:10-14)

Sadly, people tend to forget the Lord after they get what they desire through prayer. There are others on whom the Lord has shown mercy countless times, yet they never thank him or even acknowledge him. But that should not be our attitude. The Lord Jesus Christ is worthy of worship because he paid the price for our sins and unrighteousness on the cross. He purchased eternal salvation for us and thus he is worthy of praise.

As the Bible says,
"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" (Revelation 5:12)

Praise the Lord.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 144

You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat. For the breath of the ruthless is like a storm driving against a wall and like the heat of the desert. You silence the uproar of foreigners; as heat is reduced by the shadow of a cloud, so the song of the ruthless is stilled. (Isaiah 25:4, 5)

Notice the part of verse 4 which says- For the breath of the ruthless is like a storm driving against a wall and like the heat of the desert.

The psalmist cried out in despair:
Help, LORD, for the godly are no more; the faithful have vanished from among men. Everyone lies to his neighbor; their flattering lips speak with deception. (Psalm 12:1, 2)

We are hurt the most when people speak sweetly when we are face to face with them and then when our backs are turned, they stab us with their words and actions. And sometimes this is done by people whom we have loved from our hearts.

David once made a complain regarding this to the Lord:
They repay me evil for good and leave my soul forlorn. Yet when they were ill, I put on sackcloth and humbled myself with fasting. When my prayers returned to me unanswered, I went about mourning as though for my friend or brother. I bowed my head in grief as though weeping for my mother. But when I stumbled, they gathered in glee; attackers gathered against me when I was unaware. They slandered me without ceasing.
Like the ungodly they maliciously mocked ; they gnashed their teeth at me. O Lord, how long will you look on? Rescue my life from their ravages, my precious life from these lions. (Psalm 35:12-17)

Sadly this is true in the life of many a believer.
But then the promise says,
God is a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat.

Yes, the Lord is mighty to calm the storms of your life. He loves you and he will still the storms that ravage your life. Remember his promise,
"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. (Jeremiah 31:3)

God bless you.

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 145

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. (Psalm 34:8)

David, the psalmist was quite convinced about what he had tasted. He had tasted the goodness of the Lord and is exhorting others to do the same. He sang this song after he pretended to be insane before Abimelech, who drove him away.

He had tasted that the Lord was good regarding two major matters which he details:
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4)
This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles. (Psalm 34:6)

Deliverance from fears and troubles.
That's what we all desire in our lives. And regarding this most of us have tasted that the Lord is good. Time and again we have seen the faithfulness of the Lord come true regarding several issues.

This was not the last time that David had to go through problematic situations. Far from it.
Yet he found that his continual trust in the Lord Almighty brought him into a state of blessedness. That's why he says,
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

You and me, we can (some have) repeatedly taste and see that the Lord is good; amidst worries, sicknesses, financial crisis, failures, back-slidings and a whole lot of imaginable and unimaginable situations.

The verse that lies sandwiched between the 2 deliverance verses (34:4,6) is an affirmation of David's faith in God Almighty. He says,
Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. (Psalm 34:5)

I guess we too can say that with him. Praise the Lord!

Simple Thoughts On Promises- 146

The LORD redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him. (Psalm 34:22)

"No one will be condemned who takes refuge in him."
A similar promise is found in Romans Ch.8. It says,
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1, 2)

There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Isn't that wonderful?
Are you in Christ Jesus?
Do you feel that you are being condemned by people? Or is the devil using people to condemn you? Don't fall for that trick. Stand firm, rooted in the Word of God.

The Bible says,
Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. (Romans 8:33, 34)

The Bible also exhorts us saying,
If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:31, 32)

Are people belitteling the salvation that you have through Jesus Christ? Satan is jealous of the honor that you have in the presence of God as his child. He was jealous of the blessings that God bestowed upon Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. That's why he plotted against them and made them fall.

God has given you the Holy Spirit who will guide you in all the truth. Be led by the Spirit of God each day. That alone will keep you victorious against your enemy, the devil.

Take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. (Ephesians 6:16)

There are many promises in the Bible. To me the scriptural answers that are often needed the most are for those that have had serious hardships that don't make sense. Someone is about to be married and their fiancee dies. A son or daughter is killed in an accident. My answer is there are many bad things that happen to some very good people... and there are some very bad people that really do a lot better than they should... at the final day of judgement it is all sorted out with God. Ecclesiastes mentions some of these situations.
After saying that. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with believing that God is good... else why believe.
What I'm getting at is sometimes Christians focus on all these positive thoughts and when disaster hits... they are not emotionally prepared to deal with it.
I do appreciate your views on the goodness of God, however. :wave

justvisiting said:
There are many promises in the Bible. To me the scriptural answers that are often needed the most are for those that have had serious hardships that don't make sense. Someone is about to be married and their fiancee dies. A son or daughter is killed in an accident. My answer is there are many bad things that happen to some very good people... and there are some very bad people that really do a lot better than they should... at the final day of judgement it is all sorted out with God. Ecclesiastes mentions some of these situations.
After saying that. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with believing that God is good... else why believe.
What I'm getting at is sometimes Christians focus on all these positive thoughts and when disaster hits... they are not emotionally prepared to deal with it.
I do appreciate your views on the goodness of God, however. :wave

Thanks justvisiting, many people do need the promises of the Word to hang in there. Life is often tough, we have to hold on to the promises.

Back