Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sin - how do I stop?

Questor

Jewish, with Messianic Overtones
I am being overwhlmed by my sin nature, and know not how to stop a repeating sin, and worse, one where I am aware of sinning even as I commit it.

Why do I keep deciding to repeat an action that I know is offensive to G-d? How do I stop?

I am being overwhlmed by my sin nature, and know not how to stop a repeating sin, and worse, one where I am aware of sinning even as I commit it.

Why do I keep deciding to repeat an action that I know is offensive to G-d? How do I stop?
Scripture tells us.

Romans 7:14-25 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am fleshly, having been sold into bondage under sin. For what I am working out, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want, I agree with the Law, that it is good. So now, no longer am I the one working it out, but sin which dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the working out of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one working it out, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that in me evil is present—in me who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in my members, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a captive to the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

There are some who will come into this thread and tell you a real Christian will never sin. If you fall into sin you are not saved. Do not believe this lie. These people are self-deceived.

We are being sanctified daily and strive to be perfect as our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

We are not sinless, but we will sin less.

Grace and peace to you.

Thank you for your encouragement. I had been in Romans on just this, but I feel helpless against my sin nature.

I am so slow to learn to follow what G-d wishes of us, having started very late in life, and with a complete absence of even the idea of G-d in my upbringing. My family were secular Jews, and taught only what was habitual to them, and never mentioned G-d, so that the bare minimum of civil behavior was taught, with no reason for me to follow it other than to not get in trouble. Instead of obeying the commandments, they were never mentioned. We did what we did as a matter of some vague "This is what we do", and never a reason for it, leaving me unconcerned with right and wrong, even after my baptism, for I was also undiscipled except by the Holy Spirit, frightened away from the church, and having no Messianic Congregation to work with me.

And now, the harder I try to not sin, the more I seem to, not unlike Rav Shaul, and feel lost in this body of death, and all the more unable to do right.

I know that only in Yeshua do I have hope, and that he died just for this difficulty, but it feels as if I am mired in increasing evil, for the harder I try to obey Yeshua, the more I fail.

As it happens, I just watched a sermon on that very subject. Dr. Stanley can advise you better than I:

Thank you. Stanley is always good to hear. Doing teshuvah . . . making a 180 degree turn away from one's sin is but the first step, for one them must begin again, starting over to walk in Yeshua's footsteps. I have turned to Yeshua, asking to be changed, for I cannot change myself. I can say I have sinned, realize how much I hate the sin, and the person it makes me, so corrupt, and so easily failing. I have stated that I have sinned, and that I wish no more to do so; asked Yeshua and YHWH to change me so that I no longer fall into the trap of my flesh, and the tricks of the Adversary, and that I might learn to understand how to live better. I leave it in G-d's hands, for I am incapable of changing myself, but I do trust that Yeshua will do so on behalf of the Most High, and enable me to stop this sin, and then go on to the next fault that haRuach haKodesh leads me to conquer.

Once you accept Christ the enemy can no longer manipulate you so easily. We all sin and God knows our nature better than we know our nature. So when you are in Christ you may agree with Paul in Phillipians 4:13 where he states "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." All things means He will help you break the cycle of evil that seems to be controlling your soul now.

Repent of sin...all sin.
Get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)
That water baptism will also provide the destruction of the old man, and your resurrection with Christ from His grave that you were baptize-"immersed" into. (Rom 6:3-6)
That resurrection with Christ provides your rebirth from God's seed. (1 John 3:9)
The new creature has no "sin nature". (2 Cor 5:17)
Its nature is divine. (2 Peter 1:4)

If you want to quit offending God, quit offending God !

Think about what happened to Hitler's character in Hell, in the movie 'Little Nicky'.Repent!,God's perfect judgement awaits us all.

Last edited:
Hi Questor and welcome to CF :wave2

If you are Spiritually born again and indwelled with the Holy Spirit, John 3:5-7; Romans 10:9-10, then give this burden over to God and ask Him to take this sinful desire from you. Grow in your faith which is Christ Jesus as you study the scriptures by allowing the Holy Spirit teach you, John 14:26, and learn to be obedient to the word of God applying every word to your walk with Christ Jesus as you develop your personal relationship with Him. The more you press into Christ the more the fleshly desires will go away as you remain pleasing unto the Lord. :pray

Once you accept Christ the enemy can no longer manipulate you so easily. We all sin and God knows our nature better than we know our nature. So when you are in Christ you may agree with Paul in Phillipians 4:13 where he states "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." All things means He will help you break the cycle of evil that seems to be controlling your soul now.
+Thank you, but Yeshua is my savior. It is because of him that I care so much that I do not walk uprightly, but also is my hope that he will help me change sufficiently that I sin less.

How much time a day do you spend reading and studying God's word ?
How much time to you spend in prayer ?

A lot of good threads here to learn from .

+Thank you, but Yeshua is my savior. It is because of him that I care so much that I do not walk uprightly, but also is my hope that he will help me change sufficiently that I sin less.
Sinning LESS won't cut it.
God gave us the gift of repentance so we can turn from all sin.
John writes..."And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:3-6)
Those who continue is sin, don't know Him.

Scripture tells us.

Romans 7:14-25 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am fleshly, having been sold into bondage under sin. For what I am working out, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want, I agree with the Law, that it is good. So now, no longer am I the one working it out, but sin which dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the working out of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one working it out, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that in me evil is present—in me who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in my members, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a captive to the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

There are some who will come into this thread and tell you a real Christian will never sin. If you fall into sin you are not saved. Do not believe this lie. These people are self-deceived.

We are being sanctified daily and strive to be perfect as our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

We are not sinless, but we will sin less.

Grace and peace to you.
I keep reminding myself that only G-d, through Yeshua and haRuach haKodesh, can make of me what he has planned for me. He has said that he will finish the work he has started in me, but the process of sanctification is a painful one.

I will never be righteous until I am reborn into a glorified body, and the commandments are written into my heart and mind, but I hate my constant falling back into sin by being overwhelmed by my very humanity.

My questions were sincere, and from the heart, coming from the very real pain I feel at being so incapable of being what I want to be. My body is indeed warring against me, as does my mind, but they are driven by forces outside of me. Spiritual attack is a very real thing.

So often I am told that I must somehow succeed against all that is wrong in me in my own will and strength, as if the battle did not belong to G-d, and as if I have the power to do what I wish on my own. And I feel great self-hatred for my inabilty to do just that, yet nowhere in scripture do I read that I can change myself.

I am being torn in two by what I hear others say most sincerely, as if they are somehow walking perfectly in their own strength. And then, I think, well, I am being excortiated by their preaching to themselves how they must do all they say, as it is overflowing in their hearts.

As much as I want to do all that would please the Most High, I do not know how to do it. At most, I am doing a little better in some things, while being attached by the Adversary in other areas.

Does anyone do any differently?

How much time a day do you spend reading and studying God's word ?
How much time to you spend in prayer ?

A lot of good threads here to learn from .

Less in the word than I would like, having overdosed on submerging myself in it, although my talking to G-d raises constant questions that I then research, so perhaps I spend more in the word than I think. After years of constant study much is in my mind, and only when I need to verify a point that I feel challenged upon by the Adversary do I study a matter in depth. One can read and re-read too much, and not hear haRuach haKodesh as one used to. And yet, the instant I need to verify a point, haRuach haKodesh is right there, pointing me where I need to be.

I am a good deal in conversation with G-d. My most faithful partner throughout the day is haRuach haKodesh, who sings in my mind constantly songs of praise, in between my questions and observations, or even the most ordinary thoughts. And always I am asking for understanding and wisdom on how to apply what I already know.

Sinning LESS won't cut it.
God gave us the gift of repentance so we can turn from all sin.
John writes..."And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:3-6)
Those who continue is sin, don't know Him.
I am glad to know that there is one person in the world that is without sin other than Yeshua.

1 John 1:8 (KJV)
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

I keep reminding myself that only G-d, through Yeshua and haRuach haKodesh, can make of me what he has planned for me. He has said that he will finish the work he has started in me, but the process of sanctification is a painful one.
The application of the Lord's sanctifying, justifying, atoning blood doesn't hurt at all.
That occurs at baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
I will never be righteous until I am reborn into a glorified body, and the commandments are written into my heart and mind, but I hate my constant falling back into sin by being overwhelmed by my very humanity.
Get reborn of God's seed, and rise above mere humanity.
Be, and act like, a son of God.
My questions were sincere, and from the heart, coming from the very real pain I feel at being so incapable of being what I want to be. My body is indeed warring against me, as does my mind, but they are driven by forces outside of me. Spiritual attack is a very real thing.
Nothing can prevent a man from "turning from" sin.
So often I am told that I must somehow succeed against all that is wrong in me in my own will and strength, as if the battle did not belong to G-d, and as if I have the power to do what I wish on my own. And I feel great self-hatred for my inabilty to do just that, yet nowhere in scripture do I read that I can change myself.
Repentance from sin is your choice.
Either turn from sin, (repent of sin), or don't.
Peter said, in Acts 2:38, that those who repent of sin and get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
You won't be alone from that point onward.
I am being torn in two by what I hear others say most sincerely, as if they are somehow walking perfectly in their own strength. And then, I think, well, I am being excortiated by their preaching to themselves how they must do all they say, as it is overflowing in their hearts.
Walk perfectly in God's strength.
As much as I want to do all that would please the Most High, I do not know how to do it. At most, I am doing a little better in some things, while being attached by the Adversary in other areas.
Does anyone do any differently?
When I grew sick of myself, I tried booze, and drugs, and sex, and even went back to school to make myself a better person.
What a waste of time.
But God knew my heart, and, in this order... got me fired from my job, moved from my house, got a new job, made my car break down...(so I had to walk to and from work), and let me see a man at work who carried his bible all the time.
I saw that man reading his bible in a stairwell when I was walking home at the end of the work day, and struck up a conversation with him.
He invited me to his church's mid-week meeting...and I accepted his offer of a ride there.
I got baptized that night.
God gets the message to those who want it.

Do you want "it" ?

Hi Questor and welcome to CF :wave2

If you are Spiritually born again and indwelled with the Holy Spirit, John 3:5-7; Romans 10:9-10, then give this burden over to God and ask Him to take this sinful desire from you. Grow in your faith which is Christ Jesus as you study the scriptures by allowing the Holy Spirit teach you, John 14:26, and learn to be obedient to the word of God applying every word to your walk with Christ Jesus as you develop your personal relationship with Him. The more you press into Christ the more the fleshly desires will go away as you remain pleasing unto the Lord. :pray
Thank you. This is what I needed encouragement in. When a spiritual child is crying for help, and all of us are such children, we need practical advice.

Being in Yeshua seems to have brought me under attack, and the more so that I live attempting to do better. The Adversary is quite adept at using me against me. And so, I have simply gone to Yeshua, and asked him to break the cycle. I am not capable of it.

I am glad to know that there is one person in the world that is without sin other than Yeshua.
There are many more than just me...thanks be to God.
1 John 1:8 (KJV)
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If you are so glad, why post a scripture saying it is a lie ?
Here is another scripture that does not address those walking in darkness-sin...
1 John 1:7 (KJV)
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Walk in the light, and know the Lord's blood has washed away all your past sin.
Stay in the light-God, and you will be able to keep saying you have no sin.

Think about what happened to Hitler's character in Hell, in the movie 'Little Nicky'.Repent!,God's perfect judgement awaits us all.
You seem to be telling me that Yeshua is not sufficient for my salvation. I am in the midst of a terrible phase in sactification, and want help in getting through the tidal wave of awareness of my inability to keep from sinning.

As Rav Shaul apparently fought this same fight constantly, to the point that he said, "Who can save me from this body of death . . . Only Yeshua", I don't feel alone, just overwhelmed.

Back