Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Snatching Blessing by Deception?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

jonahmano

An interesting incident happened in my friend's church. The pastor was preaching and at one point he said "As Jacob snatched the blessings by deceiving his brother Esau and father Isaac so in the same way I will also be snatching the blessing by deception. I couldn't get the whole context of the preaching but my question is not upon what Pastor said or meant but it goes back to the old testament.

Did Jacob deceive his brother and father to receive the blessings? the role of jacob's mother was also prominent in that incident. How do we square this?

An interesting incident happened in my friend's church. The pastor was preaching and at one point he said "As Jacob snatched the blessings by deceiving his brother Esau and father Isaac so in the same way I will also be snatching the blessing by deception. I couldn't get the whole context of the preaching but my question is not upon what Pastor said or meant but it goes back to the old testament.

Did Jacob deceive his brother and father to receive the blessings? the role of jacob's mother was also prominent in that incident. How do we square this?
Jacob is a picture of the New Covenant.

The Jews, ironically enough, are typified in Esau, not Jacob. As devout adherents to their misunderstanding of the law and salvation, they have in a sense been tricked and deceived by the New Covenant, the covenant that came later (just as Jacob came later, or second). The trickery of their deception resulting in their being robbed of the Father's blessing. The blessing they were sure they were first in line to gain over and above the one born second.

Jacob did not deceive Easu. Easu willingly sold His birthright to Jacob. Easu did not value His birthright.

Genesis 25
30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom. 31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. 32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? 33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.

Your pastor is wrong on this point.

Even though 'man of the world' Esau surrendered his birthright in favor of his natural worldly appetite he still thought he was in line for the blessing, just as the earthy, worldly, carnal Israelites think that they are still first in line for the Father's blessing even though they have sold that birthright in favor of satisfying their natural, carnal appetite for sin. They are indeed deceived, not knowing that the one born after them, the church, is the one that not only has the right of birth now, but who also has snatched the Father's blessing away from them.

"35 And he said, "Your brother came deceitfully and has taken away your blessing." 36 Then he said, "Is he not rightly named Jacob, for he has supplanted me these two times? He took away my birthright, and behold, now he has taken away my blessing." (Genesis 27:35-36 NASB)

Last edited:
Even though Rebekah had Jacob trick his father into believing he was Esau, because she loved Jacob more, the blessing would have still gone to Jacob over that of Esau for the promise God made with Abraham in Genesis 12:1-3. God hated not Esau, but that Esau was weak and gave up his birthright (as Jethro already said for a natural worldly appetite) as he was later called Edom in who God already knew that Esau's nation would be that of the Edomites who would always fight against Israel (Jacob) even though God gave blessings to Esau in that he always had enough, Gen 27:39; 33:9

Gen 25:23 And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.

Gen 25:30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.

Gen 27:38 And Esau said unto his father, Hast thou but one blessing, my father? bless me, even me also, O my father. And Esau lifted up his voice, and wept.
Gen 27:39 And Isaac his father answered and said unto him, Behold, thy dwelling shall be the fatness of the earth, and of the dew of heaven from above;
Gen 27:40 And by thy sword shalt thou live, and shalt serve thy brother; and it shall come to pass when thou shalt have the dominion, that thou shalt break his yoke from off thy neck.
Gen 27:41 And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.

Back