Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Sola scripture ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

twinc

it is not in the bible = besides the old ten commandments did Jesus give us any other commandments - twinc

it is not in the bible = besides the old ten commandments did Jesus give us any other commandments - twinc
Hi twinC

Jesus did not abolish the 10 Commandments.
But didn't He chisel them down to two?

Mathew 22:35-40

Jesus said that on two Commandments depended the whole Law.

The two great commandments:
1. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
2. You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
NASB

If you follow the two commandments above, you will naturally follow all of the 10 Commandments.

Jesus mentioned two of the 10 commandments which signifies that He knew them to be very important.
Mathew 5:27
Mathew 5:22

Regarding Sola Scriptura. I do not have a problem with this since the bible is the authority by which all churches should measure their doctrine.

However, I do believe that it's a good idea to study the bible in a mainline denomination and not by oneself.
I find that it's a good idea to read it through once to see what God has to say to a particular individual. But there is much to know about the bible, and studying it requires participating in a church that teaches the bible.

Because this idea is not in the bible, does it make it invalid?

There is nothing new under the sun.

When Jesus came He explained what the law was for, and what it meant. His law stands forever.

Here is the thing we need to grasp. Anything you read in the Gospels, that Jesus said, is a commandment. Jesus, being God, does not suggest anything - or ever say, that if you do not do what He says, its "ok".

What we do have to understand is that He said a lot of things that can be hard to understand. This is where the Spirit of God in us, helps us, leads us, to the understanding we need.

So, yes, there are many things that are commanded other than the 10 you find in the old testament. But as Wondering said, every single commandment can be brought into a single one, with an additional one that is like it. Love God, Love your fellow man.

Hi twinC

1. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
NASB

If you follow the two commandments above, you will naturally follow all of the 10 Commandments.

Jesus mentioned two of the 10 commandments which signifies that He knew them to be very important.

Regarding Sola Scriptura. I do not have a problem with this since the bible is the authority by which all churches should measure their doctrine.

However, I do believe that it's a good idea to study the bible in a mainline denomination and not by oneself.
I find that it's a good idea to read it through once to see what God has to say to a particular individual. But there is much to know about the bible, and studying it requires participating in a church that teaches the bible.

Wondering - thank you for your honest answer as you perceive it but alas acquired from others and that is the problem and not the solution sadly - but you did not answer the actual question and if you observe this for some unknown reason seems to be the fault with many if not most answers and replies - more later - twinc

Last edited:
Hi twinC

NASB

Wondering - thank you for your honest answer as you perceive it but alas acquired from others and that is the problem and not the solution sadly - but you did not answer the actual question and if you observe this for some unknown reason seems to be the fault with many if not most answers and replies - more later - twinc
Must leave soon for a while.
Sola Scriptura is not in the bible. Right. Who knew back then that this concept would even exist?
When the bible was put together in the 300's, the term sola scriptura did not exist because our authority was the Apostles. They did, however, write letters that became the bible.

And from whom do you suppose I've acquired my knowledge?

You do not know that.

There is nothing new under the sun.

When Jesus came He explained what the law was for, and what it meant. His law stands forever.

Here is the thing we need to grasp. Anything you read in the Gospels, that Jesus said, is a commandment. Jesus, being God, does not suggest anything - or ever say, that if you do not do what He says, its "ok".

What we do have to understand is that He said a lot of things that can be hard to understand. This is where the Spirit of God in us, helps us, leads us, to the understanding we need.

So, yes, there are many things that are commanded other than the 10 you find in the old testament. But as Wondering said, every single commandment can be brought into a single one, with an additional one that is like it. Love God, Love your fellow man.

your problem appears to be the difference between commandment and command - scriptures must be studied carefully and not in a slipshod manner as it is mostly and most do err as of old as pointed out by Jesus - twinc

Must leave soon for a while.
Sola Scriptura is not in the bible. Right. Who knew back then that this concept would even exist?
When the bible was put together in the 300's, the term sola scriptura did not exist because our authority was the Apostles. They did, however, write letters that became the bible.

And from whom do you suppose I've acquired my knowledge?

You do not know that.

I have now at 87 been to a few and various bible study groups and have found all teach there own interpretations and not really what the Bible teaches or Jesus taught

I have now at 87 been to a few and various bible study groups and have found all teach there own interpretations and not really what the Bible teaches or Jesus taught
I've been to a few too.
Each church has their own little doctrines going on.
But it does save us from some really weird stuff to study with someone who knows theology really well. The study of God.

For instance, there are those who believe all of Jesus' prophecies came true in the year 70 and so he is not returning.
I've heard such strange things on here since I joined, that I didn't even know existed. I'm happy that I had some good teaching.

Then, on a personal level, the Holy Spirit speaks to each of us. This is different.

The "Sermon on the Mount" is Jesus' commentary on the Ten commandments. The actions alone of keeping them aren't enough. (Even though breaking most of them involved capital punishment) Jesus explained that it's about your desire to break one that means that you have broken them all and fall short of Heaven.

You need a Savior to do it for you.

And even Jesus didn't use Sola Scriptura for his arguments...He used Scriptura Primera (primarily scripture) to argue His points. Massive difference in theological outcomes because of some of the poetry can be easily twisted to say something unintended by God.

Hermeneutics is a BLEND of Art and Sciences. Flat reading is usually how so many get into theological atrocities. Not that people wish to do wrong...But our hearts are extremely deceitful.

your problem appears to be the difference between commandment and command - scriptures must be studied carefully and not in a slipshod manner as it is mostly and most do err as of old as pointed out by Jesus - twinc

Whats the difference between a command and a commandment coming from God?

I've been to a few too.
Each church has their own little doctrines going on.
But it does save us from some really weird stuff to study with someone who knows theology really well. The study of God.

For instance, there are those who believe all of Jesus' prophecies came true in the year 70 and so he is not returning.
I've heard such strange things on here since I joined, that I didn't even know existed. I'm happy that I had some good teaching.

Then, on a personal level, the Holy Spirit speaks to each of us. This is different.

stay awhile and really find out what you have accepted as good and good teaching and find out who it is that really indwells and speaks to most claiming to be inspiration from the H/S but is really unforgiveable blasphemy - twinc

TwinC
The difference between a command and a commandment is irrelevant when it comes to following God's rules.

A command could be anything that we are commanded to do by a superior:

Webster Dictionary:
  1. Command(verb)

to order with authority; to lay injunction upon; to direct; to bid; to charge
  2. Command(verb)

to exercise direct authority over; to have control of; to have at one's disposal; to lead
  3. Command(verb)

to have within a sphere of control, influence, access, or vision; to dominate by position; to guard; to overlook
  4. Command(verb)

to have power or influence of the nature of authority over; to obtain as if by ordering; to receive as a due; to challenge; to claim; as, justice commands the respect and affections of the people; the best goods command the best price
  5. Command(verb)

to direct to come; to bestow
  6. Command(verb)

to have or to exercise direct authority; to govern; to sway; to influence; to give an order or orders
  7. Command(verb)

to have a view, as from a superior position
  8. Command(noun)

an authoritative order requiring obedience; a mandate; an injunction
  9. Command(noun)

the possession or exercise of authority
  10. Command(noun)

authority; power or right of control; leadership; as, the forces under his command
  11. Command(noun)

power to dominate, command, or overlook by means of position; scope of vision; survey
  12. Command(noun)

control; power over something; sway; influence; as, to have command over one's temper or voice; the fort has command of the bridge
  13. Command(noun)

a body of troops, or any naval or military force or post, or the whole territory under the authority or control of a particular officer
A Commandment is also a command, but we add to it the authority of moral Law:

com·mand·ment
(kə-mănd′mənt)
n.
1. A command; an edict.
2. Bible One of the Ten Commandments.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

commandment
(kəˈmɑːndmənt)
n
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a divine command, esp one of the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament
2. literary any command
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

If God is concerned, we must obey both a command and a commandment. No difference.

it is strange you ask - but here the commandments are ten and the commands are many - see Jn.13:34 and and 1Jn 2:7-8 and 2Jn 5 - twinc

I understand there are "10" commandments in the old testament, and many in the new testament.

But I am asking - what is the difference between a command and a commandment from God? Is one greater than another?

stay awhile and really find out what you have accepted as good and good teaching and find out who it is that really indwells and speaks to most claiming to be inspiration from the H/S but is really unforgiveable blasphemy - twinc
I gotta ask: how is she/we going to find out this information?:thinking

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back