Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Sola scripture ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So much mystery.
Hows about just tellin' us?
We await with baited breath..

The Magdalene stood wondering and weeping in distress and despair and then a voice said Mary and she turned and saw Him there - she ran with baited breath to tell the others and down the centuries her voice still echoes 'He lives, He lives, He lives - twinc

The Magdalene stood wondering and weeping in distress and despair and then a voice said Mary and she turned and saw Him there - she ran with baited breath to tell the others and down the centuries her voice still echoes 'He lives, He lives, He lives - twinc
Nice.
Post more stuff like this, please.

So much mystery.
Hows about just tellin' us?
We await with baited breath..

Well, it's probably better if people read it themselves.

I suggested it as the chapter blessed me immensely when I read it the first time.

I'll share portions, but I still hope that some will read it. Plus reading it speaks much better than I can, I can only point out certain aspects.

I'll start here. The chapter is about Jesus rising from the dead and what happened following this. Two disciple are walking along the road to Emmaus, and Jesus joins them.

Luke 24:13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
Luke 24:14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
Luke 24:15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
Luke 24:16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.

That's amazing all in itself. "Their eyes were holden." They didn't know that this was Jesus.

Luke 24:17 And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
Luke 24:18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
Luke 24:19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
Luke 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
Luke 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
Luke 24:22 Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
Luke 24:23 And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
Luke 24:24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Luke 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luke 24:28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
Luke 24:29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.

Notice that they asked Him to abide with them in the village.

Luke 24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.

He gave them both actual bread and as you'll see, heavenly bread.

Luke 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

Luke 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

He opens up the scriptures to us.

I kinda get the feeling that it's better to say where something is that might help rather than to go into detail.
Some get offended by that. It says the same thing in the passage, that I would have said, only much better and much clearer.

I hope that the wait wasn't a waste of time.

Last edited:
hopefully, at least, some among those who just come to sneer and jeer will stay on to pray - twinc
If you feel offended you need to understand that it is also offensive to just start a bunch of threads and not get into a study.

No sneering or jeering, just serious people looking for a serious discussion.

Well, there are some who present themselves in such a way as to make a 'self-fullfilling prophecy' of Matthew 10
Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. KJV

I suggested it as the chapter blessed me immensely when I read it the first time.

I'll share portions, but I still hope that some will read it. Plus reading it speaks much better than I can, I can only point out certain aspects.

I'll start here. The chapter is about Jesus rising from the dead and what happened following this. Two disciple are walking along the road to Emmaus, and Jesus joins them.

Luke 24:13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
Luke 24:15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.

That's amazing all in itself. "Their eyes were holden." They didn't know that this was Jesus.

Luke 24:17 And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
Luke 24:18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
Luke 24:19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
Luke 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
Luke 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
Luke 24:22 Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
Luke 24:23 And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
Luke 24:24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Luke 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luke 24:28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
Luke 24:29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.

Luke 24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.

Luke 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

Luke 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

I kinda get the feeling that it's better to say where something is that might help rather than to go into detail.
Some get offended by that. It says the same thing in the passage, that I would have said, only much better and much clearer.

Betty
Everyone here is very friendly and nice.

We've all read the Bible. We've all read Luke chapter 24.
We like to share ideas. That doesn't really happen if we just post a chapter to read.

Please share your thoughts on Luke 24.

Incognito He was to them then as even now but they did recognise Him in the breaking of bread unlike those who even then as now do not walk with Him or even recognise Him in the breaking of bread - twinc

Betty
Everyone here is very friendly and nice.

We've all read the Bible. We've all read Luke chapter 24.
We like to share ideas. That doesn't really happen if we just post a chapter to read.

Please share your thoughts on Luke 24.

I shared my thoughts in it. I'll break it down. The disciples are walking along the road to Emmaus.

Jesus comes and walks with them. But they didn't know it was HIM because their eyes were not opened to this.

He goes into the scriptures with them explaining to them the things pertaining to Him.

They draw near to the village, and they ask Him to abide with them. I'll say that it's the same for us. When we study the word, we should always ask Him to abide with us as we study.

He broke bread and blessed it and gave to them. And then they knew who he was/is.

And they said, "did our hearts not burn within us as He opened up the scriptures to us along the way."

His words go much more indepth, than mine. I can't even compare what I have to say to what His word says.

I suggested it as the chapter blessed me immensely when I read it the first time. Ppl

Why did they not recognize Jesus?
Why did the two disciples ask Jesus into their home to tarry?
Why did He speak to them about the o.t. prophets?

Why did they not recognize Jesus?
Why did the two disciples ask Jesus into their home to tarry?
Why did He speak to them about the o.t. prophets?

It was a village, it doesn't mention that it was their home and they must have been very blessed to hear Him expound on HIS word and knew, without even knowing it was him, that they wanted him near them. He spoke the truth, His truth, and they must have recognized that. But I can only say based on the passage that that is how I would hope to feel if he came and expounded on HIS own to me. I think that i would recognize that, I think anyone would. However, we can ask Him to abide with us as we study His word.

I don't think that He's ever far away. And Paul said;

Acts 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

The disciples, based on what they said to him about what took place, seemed to miss or possibly not remember that Jesus said He would rise on the third day, nor did they seem to be considering all of the things prophesied by the prophets of old concerning Him. So He expounded on those things.

The part where their eyes were "holden," and they didn't recognize Him." Always makes me wonder, as well, and this is just my own wondering, if he has ever tested us in this way.

But I believe that HE opens our eyes to His word and His truth.

Last edited:
I shared my thoughts in it. I'll break it down. The disciples are walking along the road to Emmaus.

Jesus comes and walks with them. But they didn't know it was HIM because their eyes were not opened to this.

He goes into the scriptures with them explaining to them the things pertaining to Him.

They draw near to the village, and they ask Him to abide with them. I'll say that it's the same for us. When we study the word, we should always ask Him to abide with us as we study.

He broke bread and blessed it and gave to them. And then they knew who he was/is.

And they said, "did our hearts not burn within us as He opened up the scriptures to us along the way."

His words go much more indepth, than mine. I can't even compare what I have to say to what His word says.
Hi Betty

OK!

This is more like a Bible study.
It's good to share our thoughts. I'm sure you know that we could read a chapter and miss something that another person noticed.

I'd like to add that they might not have recognized Jesus because they were disciples. Not every disciple of Jesus got to see Him up close.

Hi Betty

OK!

This is more like a Bible study.
It's good to share our thoughts. I'm sure you know that we could read a chapter and miss something that another person noticed.

I'd like to add that they might not have recognized Jesus because they were disciples. Not every disciple of Jesus got to see Him up close.

Exactly, how blessed were they right?

I couldn't even imagine.

But I do believe the message in that passage is amazing. He opened their eyes. By what they said, their hearts burned within them as He opened up the scriptures along the way.

I miss stuff all the time, that's part of the reason I love discussing his word. Because it's more difficult to miss things when you have a group of faithful believers to show you what you missed. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back