Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Solascripture

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
stranger said:
Hi GMS,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the why we have confessions of faith is clarified but your post. But I am still seeking an answer for the question:

By way of example: to what degree is the Westminister Confession of faith 'authoritative' for presbyterians?

The operative word in this question is authoritative.

Very good point. Of course, our creeds are based on the Scriptures, but one can interpret even the creed differently than the original intent. That is why creeds are sometimes tweaked, I think. They are a statement of our beliefs in short form. But how authoritative are they? And who decides what is the correct intent?

Again, good question...

Regards

Most Catholic's will tell you that they don't believe in Sola Scriptura. They say the Catholic Church is the one and only true Church. They say that Prot. have many denominations that teach different doctrines, and this is why the Catholic Church must be true.

Well, let's see what we are talking about here. My oponion is that most denominations all have the same tenets of faith, but where the division is found in Church government. The way some denominations govern through deacons, elders, and so forth. What I am getting at is as long as a church has tenets of faith that line up with the Word, they are true and this is why we have solascriptura to see what church is a cult or not. For example, if one doesn't believe in the trinity, that church is a cult.

May God bless, Golfjack

golfjack said:
My oponion is that most denominations all have the same tenets of faith, but where the division is found in Church government. The way some denominations govern through deacons, elders, and so forth. What I am getting at is as long as a church has tenets of faith that line up with the Word, they are true and this is why we have solascriptura to see what church is a cult or not. For example, if one doesn't believe in the trinity, that church is a cult.

I agree. From going to different churches myself I've found that also sometimes certain personalities will collect in a particular denomination too. But like golfjack said, as long as the Word is being used as the rule, the Truth is being proclaimed! Unless of course you are somehow blatently rejecting the Holy Spirit - but that usually ends up in something wierd happening like the JW's changing around the Bible to suit their needs.

Stranger,
My opinion is that we hold to specific confessions and catechisms because we are a community of believers, that think alike. They become authoritative by each specific group of believers. I would say within Protestant ranks we would be mostly in agreement over the main doctrines of the Christian faith, but the peripheral areas of doctrine we could agree to disagree, where as the Roman Catholic'Church because of their division of powers (Sacredotal hierarchy, tradition, the Scriptures) and their interpretation of major doctrines, we as Protestants would have a hard time saying their creeds, confessions etc, are authoritative to us. With all that said, Scripture as the last say and I believe a person truly trying to understand God and His ways will be shown as he reads the pages of God's word. Now in regards to the Canon of Scripture, I am not a expert or even close to being one, but I have read charts of the Church fathers and early on they decided what writings are trust worthy as the genuine Word. For the most part the Apocrypha as been discounted for various reasons by these same church fathers, they nonetheless can still be read and insights could be gathered, but they are not authoritative in my mine because of problems that conflict with the known writings that were not questioned in authenticity.
GMS

GMS said:
With all that said, Scripture as the last say and I believe a person truly trying to understand God and His ways will be shown as he reads the pages of God's word.

The Scripture does not always interpret itself so neatly. If it did, than Bible believing Protestants, who make your claim, would all agree on doctrine. Unfortunately, they don't - and we are not speaking about the "peripherals" of the faith. Is works of love necessary to be saved? Can a person who has confessed Jesus as Lord and Savior fall away and NOT enter the Kingdom when they die? Is God's salvation offered to ALL men? Is water Baptism salvific? These are IMPORTANT issues that effect our eternal destiny! Yet, Arminians and Calvinists are bitter enemies who read the exact same Bible... This is why it is so important to have a living body who can interpret Scripture and hold some authority over the community. We see the trend in the Bible.

GMS said:
Now in regards to the Canon of Scripture, I am not a expert or even close to being one, but I have read charts of the Church fathers and early on they decided what writings are trust worthy as the genuine Word. For the most part the Apocrypha as been discounted for various reasons by these same church fathers, they nonetheless can still be read and insights could be gathered, but they are not authoritative in my mine because of problems that conflict with the known writings that were not questioned in authenticity.
GMS

The "Apcrypha" that you are probably refering to is properly called the Deuterocanonicals, the seven books that are not in the Protestant Bible that are in the Catholic Bible (in addition to some material in Daniel). There is a thread that discusses this issue. I think you may find it fairly instructive, as it shows how these Church Fathers DID accept the Deuterocanonicals as Scriptures. They utilized the Greek OT for the vast majority of their writings, so it would be natural for them to use the writings found within them.

Regards

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back