Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Some good Christian heavy metal bands

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Of the limited exposure I have had of Skillet their lyrics have come across as somewhat naive and not biblically sound. I hope they have grown from what I have heard.

I am not a big fan of Skillet but just last night my daughter came over for dinner and we have always shared with each other different songs that we have enjoyed. The first band that she pulled up on YouTube was Skillet. She had gone to a concert of theirs a few years back and her favorite song was The Last Night (also Better Than Drugs). I listened to the lyrics and was moved by the powerful words. I believe that this helps a younger generation ( as in my daughter's case) to come to see the Light and hear of our Lord in a way that reaches them at a level that some of the music I listen to does not.

One part of The Last Night that I felt powerful was:

The night is so long when everything's wrong
If you give me your hand, I will help you hold on
Tonight, tonight

This is the last night you'll spend alone
Look me in the eyes so I know you know
I'm everywhere you want me to be

The last night you'll spend alone
I'll wrap you in my arms and I won't let go
I'm everything you need me to be

I won't let you say goodbye
And I'll be your reason why
The last night away from me, away from me

SueL:

Hi there. Especially if there's clear, Biblical content, sometimes it's young people in hard rock / heavy metal, tattooed / pierced mode who can communicate truth eloquently, right?

God bless your daughter through the Word.

Blessings.

Personally I love how some of Skillet's songs deal with issues like depression or similar problems (ie, Falling in the Black, The Last Night, etc). The song Monster sounds like it could be about an addiction of some sort. Those are very real problems.

Their older songs from the 90s were more obviously Christian (like I Can, which is also one of my favorites), but they didn't sound as good back then.
Since then they've made their songs where they're often coming from a Christian worldview if you pay attention, but not obviously Christian. I guess to try to reach a wider audience. You could argue that it was wrong of them to do so, I suppose--I'm personally not completely sure. But I do love their music, nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I love how some of Skillet's songs deal with issues like depression or similar problems (ie, Falling in the Black, The Last Night, etc). The song Monster sounds like it could be about an addiction of some sort.

Their older songs were more obviously Christian (ie, I Can), but they didn't sound as good back then.
Since then they've made their songs where they're often coming from a Christian worldview if you pay attention, but not obviously Christian. I guess to try to reach a wider audience.

questdriven:

Welcome back, and I hope you managed to have a peaceful time at the funeral. Was praying for you.

Skillet certainly seems to be one of those bands that is very popular; maybe the hard rock end of heavy metal, right?

Blessings.

Thank you. Quite a few people came, and everything turned out nicely. He deserved that much, at least.

They do seem very popular, even outside of the Christian music scene.

Thank you. Quite a few people came, and everything turned out nicely. He deserved that much, at least.

They do seem very popular, even outside of the Christian music scene.

questdriven:

Glad that you got through it okay, and that you will have some peaceful and decent memories of the occasion.

The song 'Savior' by Skillet seems to express the voice of the Lord Jesus speaking to the conscience, encouraging people to admit their need of Him (if you recall it?) All within a hard rock / heavy metal medium of percussion and throaty singing.

Blessings.

questdriven:

Glad that you got through it okay, and that you will have some peaceful and decent memories of the occasion.

The song 'Savior' by Skillet seems to express the voice of the Lord Jesus speaking to the conscience, encouraging people to admit their need of Him (if you recall it?) All within a hard rock / heavy metal medium of percussion and throaty singing.

Blessings.
Yeah, that song Savior was on the game Guitar Praise. (I don't have that game right now, but I've played it with a friend before.)

Yeah, that song Savior was on the game Guitar Praise. (I don't have that game right now, but I've played it with a friend before.)

questdriven:

So you like that sort of combination of throaty hard rock and heavy metal sound, with lyrics that point to Him, then?

Blessings.

questdriven:

Yes, well I think it does show that someone can definitely identify with and be culturally identified as a hard rock / heavy metal lady while also being basically Biblically conservative in one's outlook, right?

(I guess a similar comment could also be made about dress codes, etc.)

Blessings.

PS:

SueL:

SueL:

Hi there. Especially if there's clear, Biblical content, sometimes it's young people in hard rock / heavy metal, tattooed / pierced mode who can communicate truth eloquently, right?

God bless your daughter through the Word.

Blessings.

Further to my previous comment, I don't know if you yourself were into hard rock / heavy metal, but I guess the existence of bold lyrics that honor God in the Christian hard rock / heavy metal scene kind of shows how young people of your daughter's generation can find them engaging, right?

(I do love the traditional hymns, too; and it's good when they are learned and appreciated.)

Blessings.

questdriven:

Yes, well I think it does show that someone can definitely identify with and be culturally identified as a hard rock / heavy metal lady while also being basically Biblically conservative in one's outlook, right?

(I guess a similar comment could also be made about dress codes, etc.)

Blessings.
I think so. I don't think that taste in music has much if anything to do with worldview and political/religious opinions.

I think so. I don't think that taste in music has much if anything to do with worldview and political/religious opinions.

questdriven:

You must have come around to this view in quite a considered way, I guess, because I think you've mentioned before that your pastor keeps giving you and your friends a hard time about music styles.

I guess for some Christian hard rock /heavy metal musicians, there can be a strong sense of vocation.

Blessings.

questdriven:

You must have come around to this view in quite a considered way, I guess, because I think you've mentioned before that your pastor keeps giving you and your friends a hard time about music styles.

I guess for some Christian hard rock /heavy metal musicians, there can be a strong sense of vocation.

Blessings.
He just brings it up in his sermons a lot, and it's not as big of an issue for him as some other things are. I haven't made it a point to mention anything about the music I like to him. Haven't tried to hide it, either.

He just brings it up in his sermons a lot, and it's not as big of an issue for him as some other things are. I haven't made it a point to mention anything about the music I like to him. Haven't tried to hide it, either.

questdriven:

I wonder, by the sound of it, he might not even know that Christian heavy metal exists: the various bands that you've mentioned here, for example.

Some people's attitudes are influenced by sheer ignorance, actually. (I'm sure he is a good man and knowledgeable in various good areas.)

Blessings.

questdriven:

I wonder, by the sound of it, he might not even know that Christian heavy metal exists: the various bands that you've mentioned here, for example.

Some people's attitudes are influenced by sheer ignorance, actually. (I'm sure he is a good man and knowledgeable in various good areas.)

Blessings.
Possibly. And if he does, he probably doesn't really care to know more about it. Which is fine.

He's a good guy and helped us and others more than once. I just disagree with him on some things.

Possibly. And if he does, he probably doesn't really care to know more about it. Which is fine.

He's a good guy and helped us and others more than once. I just disagree with him on some things.

questdriven:

Well, I'm sure he is, and has. Which is good.

Seems to me also that ministry styles sometimes are influenced by culture. For example, a lot of Christians from outside the US find that many Christian preachers are very influenced by what might be called 'moralizing', in other words, not necessarily sticking to what the Bible says, and expounding it, verse by verse, But rather, having a 'Christian opinion' and moralizing about it; and assuming sometimes that their hearers want to or ought to have some old fashioned vision of culture: styles, dress codes, music, etc.

Whereas the world has moved on in a lot of ways (in good ways and, indeed, bad ways);
Christian hard rock and heavy metal are out there, subjective, but out there, none the less; subjective, old fashioned styles of music ought not to be part of someone else's culture that they are trying to impose. (Mind you, I think the great, old hymns should be respected a lot, too.)

I don't know if this would in any way fit your experience, as a Christian believer and a hard rock / heavy metal lady?

Last edited by a moderator:
questdriven:

Well, I'm sure he is, and has. Which is good.

Seems to me also that ministry styles sometimes are influenced by culture. For example, a lot of Christians from outside the US find that many Christian preachers are very influenced by what might be called 'moralizing', in other words, not necessarily sticking to what the Bible says, and expounding it, verse by verse, But rather, having a 'Christian opinion' and moralizing about it; and assuming sometimes that their hearers want to or ought to have some old fashioned vision of culture: styles, dress codes, music, etc.

Whereas the world has moved on in a lot of ways (in good ways and, indeed, bad ways); and subjective, old fashioned styles of music ought not to be part of someone else's culture that they are trying to impose. (Mind you, I think the great, old hymns should be respected a lot, too.)

I don't know if this would in any way fit your experience, as a Christian believer and a hard rock / heavy metal lady?
I'd agree. I think it's natural to make generalizations people who do/wear/listen to particular things, too. I think our minds do that because it's easier and less complicated.
People's idea of "fundamentalist Christianity" seems to be largely based on culture rather than doctrines, too. If you go by the actual definition, there are quite a few Christians who are fundamentalist but do not conform to the ideas of music, dress, etc that may be associated with it.

I like the old hymns, too. Just for slightly different reasons, and not in the same way or as much.

I'd agree. I think it's natural to make generalizations people who do/wear/listen to particular things, too. I think our minds do that because it's easier and less complicated.
People's idea of "fundamentalist Christianity" seems to be largely based on culture rather than doctrines, too. If you go by the actual definition, there are quite a few Christians who are fundamentalist but do not conform to the ideas of music, dress, etc that may be associated with it.

I like the old hymns, too. Just for slightly different reasons, and not in the same way or as much.

questdriven:

Yes, interesting.

Anyway I'm sure that there are many young Christians from a Fundamentalist background who also happen to like Christian heavy metal and hard rock.

They ought not to be seen as contradictory associations, I don't think.

What God does by His Spirit through faith in the Lord Jesus is change us from the inside, as we seek to serve our generation, not necessarily the culture of two or three generations back.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back