Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Some Honest Self-Scrutiny

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JoJo

Christians, we are called to witness to the lost and unsaved. We witness with the Word and with our speech and our actions. So when unbelievers come to this site, I often wonder what they think about us.

How well do we represent Christ, his life and all He taught?

I wanted to start this thread so that we could examine our hearts and our mouths (in this case, our fingers on the keyboard) and share with each other some areas in which we might need to improve. I'll start with my own confessions:

Sometimes when reading certain posts, I want to interject (and have done so) with my own judgments. Sometimes I feel the need to call someone out on their speech or language, and sometimes I do so without thinking of my own sinful self first. For instance, I wanted to call out the use of a negative political term, but then I stopped to examine my own heart. Do I ever call names? Have I ever called a bad driver an idiot or a jacka**? So my confession is that sometimes I judge others in areas where I need to improve myself. God and I are working on this. :)

So this thread is a place where we can confess those things that might make us an inadequate witness for Christ. Anyone care to join me in some self-examination?

i'm perfect and never ever judge, yeah right i judge some people too quickly and harshly... and i also some times guilty of the same things as those i point out, not on this forum, but in other areas of my life.

JoJo said:
Christians, we are called to witness to the lost and unsaved. We witness with the Word and with our speech and our actions. So when unbelievers come to this site, I often wonder what they think about us.

How well do we represent Christ, his life and all He taught?

I wanted to start this thread so that we could examine our hearts and our mouths (in this case, our fingers on the keyboard) and share with each other some areas in which we might need to improve. I'll start with my own confessions:

Sometimes when reading certain posts, I want to interject (and have done so) with my own judgments. Sometimes I feel the need to call someone out on their speech or language, and sometimes I do so without thinking of my own sinful self first. For instance, I wanted to call out the use of a negative political term, but then I stopped to examine my own heart. Do I ever call names? Have I ever called a bad driver an idiot or a jacka**? So my confession is that sometimes I judge others in areas where I need to improve myself. God and I are working on this. :)

So this thread is a place where we can confess those things that might make us an inadequate witness for Christ. Anyone care to join me in some self-examination?
Jo Jo, that is why I love you so much, you are not to afraid to be honest. I at times, can ego trip, or sometimes, not like I use to, but sometimes I can be to critical, and even though I hardly do it anymore, it is still there, and it does come to the surface. Also my temper at times still can get away from me.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of patience for people that go in with predetermined abuse of the gospel in mind. I can usually pick up pretty quick whether they even want to be receptive, or they are acting more like the devil's advocates. I will tell you Paul wouldn't put up with it. Neither did Stephen (martyr). The sad part is...many of these people already know the gospel.
Sure the first intent is to share the gospel, but if they are taking your pearls and trampling on them... I don't owe them an apology for telling them what the Bible says about their thinking. It is really just the truth of the matter. God will reject them if they want to be rebels.
Of course, I think sometimes, tact is useful. I usually don't quote something like this unless their posts are persistently abusive towards the gospel.
A Christian is not supposed to be a walkover, but we do require patience at times.
I can sense in my spirit sometimes when the Lord is grieved over their abuse.
Anyway, if I find myself getting upset...I just leave the area.
Some of them do need to know how God feels about their arrogance. As below.
Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Ah yes, patience. I have had so many lessons in patience in my life that I really have grown impatient with them. :biggrin

I wish I had the power to solve your thorn in the flesh. All I can do is pray for you. I wish the Lord would do some Spirit outpouring on someone in your area so you could get some help.
Well, until then try practicing thanksgiving for what you can.

I think if you have the Lord in your heart you will say what you will with honesty and sincerity, not with
bible slinging but with simple truths, that even non theists would understand. Human compassion, love and the belief in truth is what all thinking people have in common; that common ground is the hill worth holding.
yours
ÒõýþüäðýóÖ

Sometimes I feel like my kids don't listen to a thing I say, but somehow they don't miss a beat in anything that I do.

Lead by example. As a struggling christian this is the hardest thing to do because well, we're human!!

justvisiting said:
I wish I had the power to solve your thorn in the flesh. All I can do is pray for you. I wish the Lord would do some Spirit outpouring on someone in your area so you could get some help.
Well, until then try practicing thanksgiving for what you can.

Thank you for your concern. :) No, someone in this area wouldn't have the power to solve this issue. It involves a longstanding disagreement between myself and a loved one. You can join me in prayer for freedom from conflict, though. :pray

Sorry, didn't mean to derail my own thread! :topictotopic

Yeah, sure I can pray about it. I'll also pray that God would put someone else in there to help.
Actually, these are the issues that cause self-scrutiny. So, I don't see how you derailed it.
Hoping the Lord gives the other person a wake up.

I have trouble with patience.. I work around all these guys that are older than me,
and they give me a hard time like I was their little sister or sometheing..

it's okay for the most part but sometimes it seems like they don't know when to
stop and I get really annoyed..

I want to be more patient with them instead of constantly calling them
idiots and morons to myself.. I know it's not right and that is something
I should work on

I want to set a good example for my kids and those around me. Sometimes I'm too easily influenced by 'the guys' at work or anywhere else. :nono

i have a really bad mouth (cussing, anger etc) and i honestly try to improve on that but i don't do it because of how it sounds it's a habit. a bad nasty habit that i've picked up and even when typing all my responses up i find myself re-reading it to make sure i've watched myself. i've started compromising words for the others to where they just sound goofy to say and maybe that will make me quit :yes

such as instead of the "f" word i say hedgehog.. what the hedgehog is that??? haha goofy but helps :)

i'm also pretty abrasive sometimes.. i can come off as TOO outspoken but that's just me, i say what i want and i have a short temper and i don't like to let things go very easily. again, something i'm working on.

geez i'm new here and i'm making a post of why you SHOULDN'T like me lol

Hahaha! :lol

Listen, I understand where you're coming from. I used to cuss a lot (among other things) but I don't know...I guess when I really started listening to other people when they cussed, it was such a turn-off to me. I thought, wow! That's how I sound? So I quit doing it. But occasionally my temper gets the better of me and one of those nasty words will come flying out of my mouth. All I can do is own up to it and ask the Lord to forgive me and keep on reminding me to keep my words clean and pleasing to Him.

Hey, welcome btw! :)

thanks JoJo :)

i completely agree .. when i hear people cussing it doesn't sound pretty at all and everytime i notice myself saying things i do pray for God to forgive me bc i truly don't want to have such a nasty mouth. eventually he's going to give up on me if don't quit lol :naughty

I'm guilty, guilty, guilty of all sorts of things....I'll never be perfect in this world...but I ask God to turn my faults into lessons I can learn from and grow better in the future and so that I can encourage others who have made the same mistakes that I make...and will probably continue to make....life is a learning process. I know God is in control and that's the main thing for me.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back