Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Son of Man/Son of God

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Dude (this is a term of endearment from me) - You got it! I have some ladies on here that are very revelatory. But, you came come back on here if you are led.

Got it :) Being on here is just going to complicate things that do not need to be complicated. Be blessed in the discussion.

Mike.

I think we are working towards what you are saying Brother Mike.

So if we look at how Jesus was born I think we shall see some insights.

`...that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.` (Matt. 1: 20)

Now we know that Joseph was not the father of Jesus in that he did not provide the male aspect of the embryo. A baby`s blood is from the father & thus Joseph would have given Jesus the blood-line from Adam. As the life is in the blood, Jesus could have a part of that sinful blood-line.

The baby`s blood is also kept separate from the mother`s blood by a thin sheath which lets out waste products but does not let in the blood. How amazing is God`s creation. Thus I believe that Jesus` blood came from the Holy Spirit (created) while His flesh & bones, from Mary.

It is the nature of Jesus that we can also look at - divine, not sinful human.

Marilyn.

I wanted to start a conversation with scripture that shows the different sides of Jesus. When he was showing the Son of Man part of himself and when he was showing the Son of God part.
I've been away from this forum for sometime and for some good reasons. I was glancing through some of the posts here, and decided to say whatever I feel needs to be said, to help anyone who could be helped.

Regarding this thread, I just want to point out that there is no indication in Scripture to suggest that we can arbitrarily make distinctions between "the Son of God side" and the "Son of Man side". (BTW, for the Jews "Son of Man" was equal to "Son of God", going all the way back to Daniel's prophecies and the Psalms).

Every moment that Christ was on earth He was fully and indivisibly both God and Man, at the same time, and under every circumstance. While His humanity comes through in certain passages more distinctly, the same can be said for His Deity. But it is unwise to make any such distinctions, since Scripture does not give us the authority to do so.

For example, humanly speaking Christ allowed Himself to be taken captive in Gethsemane like a common criminal (although He could have called down a multitude of angels to protect Him). At the same time, those who approached Him, approached Deity (Christ said "I AM"), and therefore fell down backwards in awe and fear (Jn 18:4-6). Regarding those two words ("he" is added by the translators), Alfred Edersheim says "The immediate effect of these words was, we shall not say magical, but Divine". So we are treading on dangerous ground when we try to sift through Christ's humanity vs His Deity.

Regarding this thread, I just want to point out that there is no indication in Scripture to suggest that we can arbitrarily make distinctions between "the Son of God side" and the "Son of Man side".

Really? Why did Jesus say this? Matthew 12:32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

He made a distinction. It is fine if others are not comfortable with who he is. I am and I'll post as such.

Mark 11:20-21 In the morning as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!" - Son of God

Son of God –

`This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.` (Matt. 3: 17)
`All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, & no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son. & he to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.` (Matt. 11: 27)

The title, Son of God, denotes identity with deity & shows our Lord in His superior status in the Godhead. The title, Father, in relation to God & Son, does not mean subordination, as in earthly terms. Father & Son in Godhead show the express image of personality, the same in mind, will & heart.

The Son has insight & personal understanding of the Father such as no one else possesses. This indicates His unity in the Godhead. Only Deity can reveal Deity, only God can express Godhead, & only sonship can manifest fatherhood, because the very soul of sonship is likeness of will.

The Son of God`s nature is divine & consists of –

`righteous, good, kind, gracious, perfect, holy, pure, just, wise,meek, humble, lowly, gentle, precious, blessed, tender, merciful, gracious, friendly, comely, winsome, helpful, cheerful, joyful, faithful, truthful, peaceful, restful ,changeless, great, mighty, powerful, bold, regal, royal, brightness, resolute, bountiful, whole, fullness, wholesomeness, glorious.`
(1 Cor. 1: 30 Luke 18: 18 Eph. 2: 7 Col. 3: 12 Heb. 3 : 1 & 2 .......)

Man`s nature from Adam is -

`… filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness, full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventers of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; ….` (Rom. 1: 29 - 31)

Luke 18:19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good - except God alone. - - submission to the Father as the Son of Man

Just because you've added your interpretation does not mean that it is true. Had Scripture placed (Son of God) or (Son of Man) in brackets beside these verses, we could consider this seriously. Otherwise you are on thin ice. We should never try to understand the Mystery of God and the Mystery of Christ with our human reasoning. Jesus was and is both fully God and Man indivisibly and in every situation. No dichotomy, no divergence, no divisions, no explanations.

Question. Do you discern when you are acting from your flesh, or when you are following the Holy Spirit?

Jesus's flesh side, conquered our sin..........I would think that would be an important thing to comprehend?

Hi LovethroughDove,

Some more thoughts on your topic.

Son of Man
  • Human body – flesh.
  • Lineage
Human race – Adam
Nationality – Israelite
Tribe – Judah
House – David
Parents – Joseph (step father) Mary (mother)

Son of God
  • Divine nature – Spirit
  • Godhead – First & Last, Beginning & the End

Blessings, Marilyn.

Hi Malachi,

Pleased to meet you & talk to you. Now you said -

Jesus was and is both fully God and Man indivisibly and in every situation. No dichotomy, no divergence, no divisions, no explanations.

I think we need to look into that a bit more. We know that Jesus was manifested as a man & lived & died as a man, however, praise the Lord He arose. He rose from the dead, He ascended to the Father`s right hand & is building the Body of Christ & interceding for us. He is in the heavenly realms with a glorified body. God even gives us a wonderful vision of Him in all His glory.

`Then I (John) turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, & in the midst of the seven lampstands stands one like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to His feet & girded about the chest with a golden band..........` (Rev. 1: 12 & 13)

Do you see that – `like the Son of Man.` Why `like?` because He is now glorified & seated far above all. He does not have a fleshly mortal body any more. He is only `like` the Son of Man for now He is the ascended, glorified, exalted King of Kings & Lord of Lords, the supreme ruler over all, the sovereign Prince of Peace, .....etc etc.

Marilyn.

John 20:17 (NASB95)
17Jesus said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’ ”

Son of man and Son of God. Bear in mind both titles refer to the humanity of Jesus. In his Spirit he is God the Word. Eternal Sonship is a doctrine in error since the passages like Hebrews 1:5 and Hebrews 10:5 indicate there was a time when the one who became Jesus was not a Son and the one who made the body of Jesus was not a Father.

Hebrews 1:5 (NASB95)
5For to which of the angels did He ever say, “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You”? And again, “I will be a Father to Him And He shall be a Son to Me”?

Hebrews 10:5 (NASB95)
5Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says, “Sacrifice and offering You have not desired, But a body You have prepared for Me;

The parentage of Christ is therefore speaking of his body in both cases (not his Spirit) the bridge between God and man (Son of God / Son of man).

The Son of God the Father, the Son of humanity / Mary.

1 Corinthians 15:45 (NASB95)
45So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

Jesus = Adam before the fall (in his body) who never ceased to be God (in Spirit) see Philippians 2:6 (in the Greek: morphe theos huparchon = never ceasing to be God the text goes onto say he took on the form of humankind).

John 8:7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." - Son of Man

Not that Jesus had sinned, but he knew in his flesh how to relate the severity of "their" sin to them.

Matthew 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. - Son of Man
Matthew 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." - Son of God

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." - (Son of Man & Son of God)

Mark 12:29-30 "The most important one, " answered Jesus, is this: 'Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' - Son of Man

My, o
in the throne room there is a Rainbow

My, oh my. I am still learning each day & until you posted this, I never knew there was a rainbow in the throne room. I went & looked it up & in Revelation 4:3, there IS a rainbow in the throne room of heaven. Thank you for that info. Learn something new every day. :)

Back