Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Sound system recommendations

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Knotical

Shepherd of the Knotical kid-farm
This is for all you tech-savvy, and sound system aficionados out there.

Recently, my family joined a new church plant in my area and is currently in a semi-permanent location. The problem we are having is the AC unit is a bit loud so we are looking for sound solutions to overcome this. I have a 40-watt amp that works well when playing something via Bluetooth or from other devices, but the microphone broadcast feature does not produce much sound. I am wondering if anyone has any budget-friendly suggestions on a sound system that could be scalable as we grow and possibly move into a more permanent location. I have looked around on Amazon for a simple soundboard and have found some good options, but I am wondering what size of an amp I should be looking for that would possibly work with some old Aiwa speakers I have.

Any suggestions?

I have looked around on Amazon for a simple soundboard and have found some good options,
I have used in the past Yorkville , Yamaha , Behringer PA equipment with good results .

What are you looking at on Amazon ? Links ?

Mackie stuff is good too . How many watts are your speakers you are going to use and are they PA speakers ?

Good reading on PA basics in this PDF from Yorkville .
Basic PA primer

I have no idea what the wattage is on my speakers are as they are over 30 years old and any stickers that were on them have fallen off. Do you think I would be fine using a 100-watt amp?

I have no idea what the wattage is on my speakers are as they are over 30 years old and any stickers that were on them have fallen off. Do you think I would be fine using a 100-watt amp?
If those are old home stereo speakers they will not last long under PA use . PA speakers are designed for the higher transients you will get using a microphone and tracks to sing with . Do the Aiwa speakers have a model number on them ? The thing is if you over power the speakers they can blow and damage the power amplifier too .

The space in which we are meeting is not that big, we just need to overcome the AC system noise.

This one was kind of on the low side. There was another one with 1000-watt speakers.

Our church is rather simple. We are only going to be using this strictly to enhance the volume of our pastor. We do not have a worship band. We actually sing mostly acapella psalms at the moment.

I have a 40-watt amp that works well when playing something via Bluetooth or from other devices, but the microphone broadcast feature does not produce much sound.
What is the amp your using now ? Name and model# . What kind of mic did you use ? It is possible you just need a better mic . No money wasted if you get a good mic and try it , you will still need a good mic . $25.00

Behringer BA 85A Dynamic Super Cardioid Microphone

You have a low impedance mic and you are having to use an adapter to plug the mic into a high impedance input on you amplifier , am I right ? The mic preamp on your amplifier is probably the weak point . You might solve the volume problem if you buy the Mackie mixer so then you will have a low impedance input for your mic and then run the output from the Mackie into your amp .

I have a Vizio sound bar 5.1 system. It has a subwoofer that rocks the house of I turn it up too loud. I don't use HDMI ARC though. It's strictly tosslink since the HDMI cuts out on occasion.

Well, I ordered the board like you suggested along with some cables to see if this works. They should arrive tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes.

I have an update.

I received the soundboard and new cables I ordered off of amazon. They work quite well. I am able to get the volume up enough to overcome the sound of the AC system in our building without any feedback.

Thanks for the insight hawkman

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back