Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Speaking in Tongues Today

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
gilliger said:
Why do Pentecostals still believe in speaking in Tongues today?

I guess by definition I would fall into the Pentecostal category having been a member of a full gospel(read tongue-speaking) church since I was saved at 16. I even spent some of that time as a lay minister in a Church of God of Prophecy out of Cleveland, TN. Personally, I prefer the term "Charasmatic" but anyway...

Pentecostals still believe in tongues because we believe that the the mention of "that which is perfect" in 1 Cor 13:10 is not the New Testament but the return of Jesus. Therefore all the gifts mention in the NT still apply today. That is my short answer anyway.

Dennyh said:
gilliger said:

I guess by definition I would fall into the Pentecostal category having been a member of a full gospel(read tongue-speaking) church since I was saved at 16. I even spent some of that time as a lay minister in a Church of God of Prophecy out of Cleveland, TN. Personally, I prefer the term "Charasmatic" but anyway...

Pentecostals still believe in tongues because we believe that the the mention of "that which is perfect" in 1 Cor 13:10 is not the New Testament but the return of Jesus. Therefore all the gifts mention in the NT still apply today. That is my short answer anyway.
That is a pretty good answer

watchman F said:
Dennyh said:
gilliger said:

That is the same answer I gave that I got jumped all over for. :)

that is because most pentacostal are always into the feely touchy type things of god, and often feel that they arent saved if they dont have a pentacostal type service every service, there are exceptions.

but most pentacostals are that way.

the maifestions ie gifts dont keep you. the word and promises of god in them do.
ever known a pentacostal to be on fire and do great works and the next day he or she walks away from the lord?

jasoncran said:
ever known a pentacostal to be on fire and do great works and the next day he or she walks away from the lord?

Nope! Actually, we were discussing this at church and not a single member of my church (some of them have been in Christ for many decades) cannot recall a single Pentecostal leaving God. :thumb

Pard said:
jasoncran said:

Nope! Actually, we were discussing this at church and not a single member of my church (some of them have been in Christ for many decades) cannot recall a single Pentecostal leaving God. :thumb
i have seen them go from hot to cold, not a lot but it does happen.

i mean the full fledged gift operating type.

I feel that this is the case because Pentecostals are SO into praising and such that the weak leave before they become Pentecostal and the rest of who stay are never really given the opportunity to fall from God since we so constantly share our love and praise for Him.

Oh, didn't tell you, but I am not a full fledged member of the AG church :thumb Baptized and everything

One reason I have stepped back from, or out of, the Pentecostal church is because there tends to be an air of spiritual superiority in it.

Free said:
One reason I have stepped back from, or out of, the Pentecostal church is because there tends to be an air of spiritual superiority in it.

Though I have net experienced this air, I truly could see where it would rise. It's a shame that this happens, but it does. I have seen the air in other denominations, mostly Orthodox and Catholics seem to have it. Again, I can see where this would come from.

PouringRain said:
watchman F said:
Dennyh said:

That is the same answer I gave that I got jumped all over for. :)
It wasn't me who jumped on ya.

jasoncran said:
i too have seen this smugness. :verysad

Yes, sadly it does exist.

I am also currently in a somewhat quiet Pentecostal church although pretty much all agree on the theory of the gifts of the Spirit but seldom practice. There are times I am disappointed that we are not "more Pentecostal-ish" but then I am reminded that it is not up to me whether others excercise their gift or not. I do what I feel God wants me to do and left the rest up to Him.

I still like the term "Charismatic" or "full Gospel" instead of "Pentecostal". When people hear Pentecostal they think of the ladies with long skirts and long hair. :shrug

i use charmiismatic, but some here have no idea what that is.

the h.s must set that fearful or hesistant congration free. my church is the same, way to quiet for me, and the pastor is dealing with that problem

my first wild and crazy pentacostal church.

www.wofnbc.org.

I go by Pentecostal, it has the right... effect. Someone goes, "Oh you're Christian, what denomination are you?" Now, they expect to hear Congregational or Baptist or the such and when they hear "I'm Pentecostal" they usually take a big step back and know I'm not messing around :approve

Of course, if they were to attend my church they would see that we are not the kind of church with woman with long skirts, long hair, scarves, and such. Still, I like the effect the word "Pentecostal" has. At the very least it saves me the extra breath to explain that I believe in the literalness of the Bible, the Trinity, Gifts, and Creation.

jasoncran said:
i wonder if any pentacostal believes in evolution? :confused

Well, I wonder if any Pentecostal deny the presence of Gifts in today's age...

You see how that works? lol

Pard said:
jasoncran said:
i wonder if any pentacostal believes in evolution? :confused

Well, I wonder if any Pentecostal deny the presence of Gifts in today's age...

You see how that works? lol
only the ones that havent recieved the holy ghost baptisism. :yes

i guess that's like these oxymorons,
christian athiest, christian naturalist, and my favorite, a christian relativist.

Don't forget "New-Age Christian"!

But ya, one thing I have noticed about Pentecostal... nobody half does being a Pentecostal, its all or nothing because the church body demands that from every member. :thumb Seriously though, some of the greatest people I have ever met are Pentecostal. I think the stricter adherence creates a family bond that a lot of other denominations don't necessarily have.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back