Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Speaking in Tongues Today

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In response to the original question, there was never a cutoff outlined in the Bible for any of the spiritual gifts except for that they will cease when that which is perfect (complete) is come. Some attempt to say that "that which is perfect" is the Bible. The Word of the Lord is forever settled in heaven. So that argument lacks foundation.

I am a Pentecostal Pastor in Canada.. and I have racked my brain on what OSAS stands for... maybe it is just because it is late :biggrin

I am a Pentecostal Pastor in Canada.. and I have racked my brain on what OSAS stands for... maybe it is just because it is late :biggrin

I read further into the thread...and now realize that OSAS mean 'Once Saved always Saved'...

Like I said last time, I am a Pentecostal Pastor in Canada.... My fellowship/denomination is the Canadian Counter part for the AG (Our credentials transfer between each other with no issue)...

Anyways, my denomination does not believe in Once Saved Always Saved.. We believe people can 'backslide'..

As for Tongues.. We believe it is the Initial Evidence for Baptism in the HS, but you dont need baptism in the HS to be saved...

The Holy Spirit takes residence in the life of a believer at Salvation but Baptism in the HS is a separate experience

I was saved in a Baptist church but I recognized that the bible teaches that gifts were given to the church until the church is gathered to Christ. So I am not Pentecostal but I believe in the gifts of the Spirit and that includes tongues. I have no problem with christians who do not want to speak in tongues, however I do have a problem with christians who strive to distort the word of God so as to make it appear that God did away with spiritual gifts.
If you do not want spiritual gifts,fine, however the bible is clear that God gave spiritual gifts to the church until the church is actually with Christ.

let me ask a question to those who are still watching this thread...

When does the miracle of speaking in tongues that you profess is occurring today happen, before you believe or after you believe?

Why do Pentecostals still believe in speaking in Tongues today?

I Spoke in tongues this morning, and several times during the day. Probably will for a while before I go to sleep. I've BEEN doing that for 37 years now. Under those circumstances, my "belief" in it is kind of intrinsic, don'cha know!!

Simple as that.

It happens after belief and after repentence. Receiving the Holy Ghost becomes a promise after being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

I Spoke in tongues this morning, and several times during the day. Probably will for a while before I go to sleep. I've BEEN doing that for 37 years now. Under those circumstances, my "belief" in it is kind of intrinsic, don'cha know!!

Simple as that.
28 years for me Bob, I don't get it when a person claims to be Christian and supposedly believes the Holy Bible is the Living Word of God and then turns around and proclaims EXCEPT THIS PART ABOUT SPIRITUAL GIFTS, this part is no longer true.

Yeah , yeah, edit this part and then that part and this meant that then and now means this now.
1 Corinthians 14:2 (NIV) For anyone who speaks in a tongue does NOT speak to men but to God. Indeed, NO ONE UNDERSTANDS HIM; he utters mysteries with his spirit. (emphasis mine)
If I speak in tongues I get labeled by those who don't believe the gifts still exist (which is to LIMIT the Word of God and all of His power) apparently God changes? What? "You are demon possessed!" Yeah right, the Holy Spirit is a demon? God speaking through me through the Holy Spirit is evil?
It's confusion, contortion, and does nothing to build up the brethren in their faith.

Spiritual gifts:
Those who got'em use'em, those who don't, won't.

its a gift of the spirit its grets to pray to god with at home in private. its something you seem to get when you get that full on baptism of the holy spirit that is so awesome. i must admit i feel no need for doing it in front of others but for a private thing it is really a nice personal thing to share with god :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back