Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Spurgeon?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Heretical, how?
Faith alone for one

“Faith alone” condemned by sacred scripture!

Matt 19:17 commandments
Matt 16:25 lose you’re life / rev 12:11
Matt 28:19 faith & baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptism
Jn 3:5 water & the spirit
acts 2:38-39 repentance & baptism
acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
acts 22:16 name of the Lord & baptism
rom 10:10 faith & confession
1 cor 13:2 faith & charity
1 cor 13:13 faith, hope, & charity
Phil 1:29 faith and suffering rom 8:17 2 Timothy 2:12
1 thes 1:3 faith, love, patience / 2 thes 1:4 / 1 Tim 6:11 /
James 2:24 faith & works
Heb 6:12 faith & patience / rev 13:10
Rev 2:19 works, charity, service, faith, patience
Rev 12:17 testimony of Jesus & commandments
Rev 14:12 commandments & patience

Rev 12:11 over cane by the blood of the Lamb not by “faith alone”

Three things are eternal! 1 cor 13:13

Faith:
Hope:
Charity:

1 cor 13:2 even all faith without charity (Deut 6:4) avails nothing!

Never “faith alone”!

He has a quote that opposes “priestcraft” and that’s a Freemason’s term!

The fact that he claims there are no priests of Jesus Christ is also error!

I am not sure where you get your information. I have read many articles on and by Spurgeon, I have read countless sermons by this man. All I have read brings glory to God the Lord Jesus Christ. Definitely not a heretic.

But many people do not believe in faith alone so there in lies the problem.

Thank you for answering.

Grace and peace to you.

Did he deny the perpetual virginity of Mary or her other dogmas?

Martin Luther

It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. … Christ, we believe, came forth from a womb left perfectly intact. (Weimer’s The Works of Luther, English translation by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, v. 11, pp. 319-320; v. 6. p. 510.)

John Calvin

(On the Heretic Helvidius) Helvidius displayed excessive ignorance in concluding that Mary must have had many sons, because Christ’s “brothers” are sometimes mentioned. (Harmony of Matthew, Mark and Luke, sec. 39 [Geneva, 1562], vol. 2 / From Calvin’s Commentaries, translated by William Pringle, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1949, p.215; on Matthew 13:55)

[On Matt 1:25:] The inference he [Helvidius] drew from it was, that Mary remained a virgin no longer than till her first birth, and that afterwards she had other children by her husband . . . No just and well-grounded inference can be drawn from these words . . . as to what took place after the birth of Christ. He is called “first-born”; but it is for the sole purpose of informing us that he was born of a virgin . . . What took place afterwards the historian does not inform us . . . No man will obstinately keep up the argument, except from an extreme fondness for disputation. (Pringle, ibid., vol. I, p. 107)

Under the word “brethren” the Hebrews include all cousins and other relations, whatever may be the degree of affinity. (Pringle, ibid., vol. I, p. 283 / Commentary on John, [7:3])

John Wesley

‘I believe that He [Jesus] was made man, joining the human nature with the divine in one person; being conceived by the singular operation of the Holy Ghost, and born of the blessed Virgin Mary, who, as well after as before she brought Him forth, continued a pure and unspotted virgin’ (‘Letter to a Roman Catholic’, The Works of Rev. John Wesley, vol 10, p. 81).

St Augustine, Sermons 186.1 (early 5th century):

“In being born of a Virgin who chose to remain a Virgin even before she knew who was to be born of her, Christ wanted to approve virginity rather than to impose it. And he wanted virginity to be of free choice even in that woman in whom he took upon himself the form of a slave” (Holy Virginity 4:4 [A.D. 401]).

“It was not the visible sun, but its invisible Creator who consecrated this day for us, when the Virgin Mother, fertile of womb and integral in her virginity, brought him forth, made visible for us, by whom, when he was invisible, she too was created. A Virgin conceiving, a Virgin bearing, a Virgin pregnant, a Virgin bringing forth, a Virgin perpetual. Why do you wonder at this, O man?” (Sermons 186:1 [A.D. 411]).

“Heretics called Antidicomarites are those who contradict the perpetual virginity of Mary and affirm that after Christ was born she was joined as one with her husband” (Heresies 56 [A.D. 428]).

St Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, III.28.3 (13th century):

"Without any hesitation we must abhor the error of Helvidius, who dared to assert that Christ's Mother, after His Birth, was carnally known by Joseph, and bore other children.

For, in the first place, this is derogatory to Christ's perfection: for as He is in His Godhead the Only-Begotten of the Father, being thus His Son in every respect perfect, so it was becoming that He should be the Only-begotten son of His Mother, as being her perfect offspring.

“Secondly, this error is an insult to the Holy Ghost, whose "shrine" was the virginal womb, wherein He had formed the flesh of Christ: wherefore it was unbecoming that it should be desecrated by intercourse with man.

“Thirdly, this is derogatory to the dignity and holiness of God's Mother: for thus she would seem to be most ungrateful, were she not content with such a Son; and were she, of her own accord, by carnal intercourse to forfeit that virginity which had been miraculously preserved in her.

“Fourthly, it would be tantamount to an imputation of extreme presumption in Joseph, to assume that he attempted to violate her whom by the angel's revelation he knew to have conceived by the Holy Ghost.

“We must therefore simply assert that the Mother of God, as she was a virgin in conceiving Him and a virgin in giving Him birth, did she remain a virgin ever afterwards."

The blessed Mary mother of God, is a perpetual virgin to the glory of God!

I am not sure where you get your information. I have read many articles on and by Spurgeon, I have read countless sermons by this man. All I have read brings glory to God the Lord Jesus Christ. Definitely not a heretic.

But many people do not believe in faith alone so there in lies the problem.

Thank you for answering.

Grace and peace to you.
Spurgeon like us all wasn't perfect but not a heretic .

I have read some of his devotions.my Brother hardly reformed reads his devotions daily .

Did he deny the perpetual virginity of Mary or her other dogmas?

Martin Luther

It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. … Christ, we believe, came forth from a womb left perfectly intact. (Weimer’s The Works of Luther, English translation by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, v. 11, pp. 319-320; v. 6. p. 510.)

John Calvin

(On the Heretic Helvidius) Helvidius displayed excessive ignorance in concluding that Mary must have had many sons, because Christ’s “brothers” are sometimes mentioned. (Harmony of Matthew, Mark and Luke, sec. 39 [Geneva, 1562], vol. 2 / From Calvin’s Commentaries, translated by William Pringle, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1949, p.215; on Matthew 13:55)

[On Matt 1:25:] The inference he [Helvidius] drew from it was, that Mary remained a virgin no longer than till her first birth, and that afterwards she had other children by her husband . . . No just and well-grounded inference can be drawn from these words . . . as to what took place after the birth of Christ. He is called “first-born”; but it is for the sole purpose of informing us that he was born of a virgin . . . What took place afterwards the historian does not inform us . . . No man will obstinately keep up the argument, except from an extreme fondness for disputation. (Pringle, ibid., vol. I, p. 107)

Under the word “brethren” the Hebrews include all cousins and other relations, whatever may be the degree of affinity. (Pringle, ibid., vol. I, p. 283 / Commentary on John, [7:3])

John Wesley

‘I believe that He [Jesus] was made man, joining the human nature with the divine in one person; being conceived by the singular operation of the Holy Ghost, and born of the blessed Virgin Mary, who, as well after as before she brought Him forth, continued a pure and unspotted virgin’ (‘Letter to a Roman Catholic’, The Works of Rev. John Wesley, vol 10, p. 81).

St Augustine, Sermons 186.1 (early 5th century):

“In being born of a Virgin who chose to remain a Virgin even before she knew who was to be born of her, Christ wanted to approve virginity rather than to impose it. And he wanted virginity to be of free choice even in that woman in whom he took upon himself the form of a slave” (Holy Virginity 4:4 [A.D. 401]).

“It was not the visible sun, but its invisible Creator who consecrated this day for us, when the Virgin Mother, fertile of womb and integral in her virginity, brought him forth, made visible for us, by whom, when he was invisible, she too was created. A Virgin conceiving, a Virgin bearing, a Virgin pregnant, a Virgin bringing forth, a Virgin perpetual. Why do you wonder at this, O man?” (Sermons 186:1 [A.D. 411]).

“Heretics called Antidicomarites are those who contradict the perpetual virginity of Mary and affirm that after Christ was born she was joined as one with her husband” (Heresies 56 [A.D. 428]).

St Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, III.28.3 (13th century):

"Without any hesitation we must abhor the error of Helvidius, who dared to assert that Christ's Mother, after His Birth, was carnally known by Joseph, and bore other children.

For, in the first place, this is derogatory to Christ's perfection: for as He is in His Godhead the Only-Begotten of the Father, being thus His Son in every respect perfect, so it was becoming that He should be the Only-begotten son of His Mother, as being her perfect offspring.

“Secondly, this error is an insult to the Holy Ghost, whose "shrine" was the virginal womb, wherein He had formed the flesh of Christ: wherefore it was unbecoming that it should be desecrated by intercourse with man.

“Thirdly, this is derogatory to the dignity and holiness of God's Mother: for thus she would seem to be most ungrateful, were she not content with such a Son; and were she, of her own accord, by carnal intercourse to forfeit that virginity which had been miraculously preserved in her.

“Fourthly, it would be tantamount to an imputation of extreme presumption in Joseph, to assume that he attempted to violate her whom by the angel's revelation he knew to have conceived by the Holy Ghost.

“We must therefore simply assert that the Mother of God, as she was a virgin in conceiving Him and a virgin in giving Him birth, did she remain a virgin ever afterwards."

The blessed Mary mother of God, is a perpetual virgin to the glory of God!
Is your point that God has a mother?

The same God that has no beginning or end?

Just curious.

Grace and peace to you.

Spurgeon like us all wasn't perfect but not a heretic .

I have read some of his devotions.my Brother hardly reformed reads his devotions daily .
Did he teach “Faith alone”?
Did he believe the perpetual virginity of Mary?

What does reformed mean?

Is your point that God has a mother?

The same God that has no beginning or end?

Just curious.

Grace and peace to you.
Yes and no!

No the divine nature does not have a mother but God does!
Jesus Christ is God
Mary is his mother
Mother of his entire person
So she is mother of God!
The true church and even the so-called reformers always believed and taught this and all the doctrines about Mary!

Did he teach “Faith alone”?
Did he believe the perpetual virginity of Mary?

What does reformed mean?
You seriously don't know what Luther ,Calvin and their theology taught ?

Maybe before defending Rome ya might want to see why the puritans and hugenots left Europa .

Stop at. Ft Caroline ,why the man Tyndale WAs burned at the stake.

Now i don't ignore the atrocities by the reformed ,the puritans and salem and also that role of why have the first amendment.

I'm not going to defend by position by looking up the reformed catchesim of London Baptist and westminster.both opemly state their doctrine and why .

The war of the Catholics and the protestants played out in part in Florida .

It's not called that but Catholics killed French colonists in Florida and the British fought again spain in several wars.

In the days of spurgeon this was still quite fresh ,you quoted Wesley who lived in Savannah where that city was the seat and buffer colony for the crown to stop the Spanish .

It is the only colony before the first amendment where the Catholics could practice .our nation was founded by the most anti Catholic Cromwell .James town and plymouth rock occured when he was in power .

I'm quite anti papist.

Maybe before defending Rome ya might want to see why the puritans and hugenots left Europa .

Stop at. Ft Caroline ,why the man Tyndale WAs burned at the stake.

Now i don't ignore the atrocities by the reformed ,the puritans and salem and also that role of why have the first amendment.

I'm not going to defend by position by looking up the reformed catchesim of London Baptist and westminster.both opemly state their doctrine and why .

The war of the Catholics and the protestants played out in part in Florida .

It's not called that but Catholics killed French colonists in Florida and the British fought again spain in several wars.

In the days of spurgeon this was still quite fresh ,you quoted Wesley who lived in Savannah where that city was the seat and buffer colony for the crown to stop the Spanish .

It is the only colony before the first amendment where the Catholics could practice .our nation was founded by the most anti Catholic Cromwell .James town and plymouth rock occured when he was in power .

I'm quite anti papist.
Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 15:5 only Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and the apostles and their successors Matt 16:18-19 all others are sects full of error and the tradition of men.
Heresy is treason against God!

Thanks

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:31 Jn 15:1-5)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

2 Thessalonians 1:8
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:31 Jn 15:1-5)

Rejection of the one true church or its teaching is rejection of Christ and God!

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 8:12 & Matt 5:14

This Apostolic Church never turned from the way of truth nor held any kind of error. It is imperative that nothing of the truths which have been defined be lessened, nothing altered, nothing added, but that they be preserved intact in word and meaning. This is the true rule of faith. Pope Agatho

God does not reveal His truth in a vacuum!

God does not set His true adrift on a sea of spiritual anarchy!

God sets His truth in His church, in the possession of His apostles to safeguard, to ensure it is not added to, or taken away from, or changed in any way!

And to teach the same truth to all nations and all ages!

Verified by scripture:

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost!

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints!

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness!
(all scripture not 66 books alone)

Must be instructed in the faith:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations…

Jn 29:21-23 as the father sent me, so I send you. (Same mission, power, and authority to teach all nations)

Lk 10:16 He who hears you, (His apostles) hear me.

Jn 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jn 8:32 You (the apostles) shall know the truth; and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(His apostles)

The whole purpose for the church of Jesus Christ is to teach all nations the truths revealed by Christ, with the sanctification and the salvation of souls! Matt 28:19

Pray tell me please?

Btw Christ founded the church and the popes on Peter and the apostles!
Isa 22/21-22 Matt 16:18-19 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:23 Jn 16:13 acts 1:8 eph 2:20 etc. thanks

Pray tell me please?

Btw Christ founded the church and the popes on Peter and the apostles!
Isa 22/21-22 Matt 16:18-19 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:23 Jn 16:13 acts 1:8 eph 2:20 etc. thanks
Christ founded the popes? Sinful humans instituted heretical popes and traditions.

Wow, that is heresy.

I will leave you to your opinions.

No need to debate this.

Grace and peace to you.

So the church was given rights to exicute sinners ?
That the priests could except gifts and the worst of sinners would be in heaven ?

So long as said Gifts were fir the church .seriously .no problems with that ?

The reformed are high church .
Luther didn't want to destroy the Catholics but to return it to the base it once had

Sorry building a shrine to mary and laying plants and prayers and hunting her visions and apparations is where?

Pledge my life to you?

I'm sure I can find more .

Pledge my life to you?

I'm sure I can find more .
There is a lot more. I know you can find it. I was raised Roman Catholic.

Nonsense, utter nonsense.

Transubstantiation?

There is a lot more. I know you can find it. I was raised Roman Catholic.

Nonsense, utter nonsense.

Transubstantiation?
Oh I know .before ,long ago we had the sole admin team of Rick w and vic c .the later was reformed and educated me on what the Catholic apologists say and also my church being reformed rents it sanctuary to the Spanish pentacostal church who worship leader was in trainer to be a father .he called in wholly given to idolatry and was called out of it .

Not my first rodeo on how they do that .

Back