Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Strange Fire conference - Anyone followed?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thank you Deborah, I see the point he is making.
I don't disagree with his point.
But I don't see this teaching from what Jesus said.
I look at the passage over and over and I don't see it.
Otherwise, his point is true.
And a sad point it is.

Thank you Deborah, I see the point he is making.
I don't disagree with his point.
But I don't see this teaching from what Jesus said.
I look at the passage over and over and I don't see it.
Otherwise, his point is true.
And a sad point it is.

Thanks for watching it. I agree with Much of his point, too. I just didn't know about the woman, I thought maybe I misunderstood him.
But I guess not, I think, you heard what I heard. About that I think he is mistaken.

I think I will agree with John MacArthur on everything except the fact that gifts have ceased to exist :) I am not a theologian. But I think practically. For example, there were demon possessed people at the time of Jesus and early church. Jesus and Apostles were able to heal them. I don't see any reason for someone not to be possessed by demons today. Going by John MacArthur's comments, there are many demonic activities in the church itself. Where does the deliverance come for them? Is that not going to be work of Spirit? The problem is distinguishing between miraculous gifts and normal gifts.. I don't know if it is right to classify gifts like that.. Well, it is a very big topic.. Don't want to get into it..

I will watch the video and comment back on it.. I would agree to the point.. We cannot buy our way into kingdom of God. But not sure if that can be applied to the parable of widow.. I think today this is preached very differently.. I look at "Seek, ask, knock" very differently.. It is not to say ask anything and get it.. Because nothing is impossible for God.. the point is, we have to first realize we lack something.. that is, we cannot be righteous on our own.. So ask for the grace of God.. Seek the kingdom of God.. And finally, knock and wait.. Wait upon the Lord as things would happen as per his time and not ours.. It is taken differently these days..

Overall the conference is good.. I agree that the Pentecostals will have to do some policing on the Charismatics.. Unbiblical practices will have to be condemned..

So I have now watched another video from the conference. Steve Lawson gives a talk about what John Calvin said of certain people in his day and certain scriptures.
This man made the comment about Mark 16:17, that most of them today do not believe that this verse was in the original text. In other words, someone added it later.
He clearly implied that charismatics are like the Libertine that John Calvin preached against in his day.
This is painting with a very wide brush. I found it to be offensive. The Libertines were shameless, lawless, immoral (in Every way).
I agree that it appears there needs to be something done to keep things Biblical. There have always been those who have gone over the top. Snake handlers, rolling around on the floor screaming, etc.. But this conference is condemning all those who believe in operation of the gifts today, in any form. They are saying "we are right, the gifts ceased." They have a right to their theology. But they are stirring a hornets nest that I can only see causing more division.
I can see this turning into a scenario like Calvin vs Wesley, that still rages on in Very nasty discussions.

Interestingly enough, of the four scriptures mentioned, none of them were from Corinths. where it tells when the gifts would cease. Why not? Surely Calvin had something to say about those verses. How can one even address what the Bible says about this question, without these verses?

So I have now watched another video from the conference. Steve Lawson gives a talk about what John Calvin said of certain people in his day and certain scriptures.
This man made the comment about Mark 16:17, that most of them today do not believe that this verse was in the original text. In other words, someone added it later.
He clearly implied that charismatics are like the Libertine that John Calvin preached against in his day.
This is painting with a very wide brush. I found it to be offensive. The Libertines were shameless, lawless, immoral (in Every way).
I agree that it appears there needs to be something done to keep things Biblical. There have always been those who have gone over the top. Snake handlers, rolling around on the floor screaming, etc.. But this conference is condemning all those who believe in operation of the gifts today, in any form. They are saying "we are right, the gifts ceased." They have a right to their theology. But they are stirring a hornets nest that I can only see causing more division.
I can see this turning into a scenario like Calvin vs Wesley, that still rages on in Very nasty discussions.

Interestingly enough, of the four scriptures mentioned, none of them were from Corinths. where it tells when the gifts would cease. Why not? Surely Calvin had something to say about those verses. How can one even address what the Bible says about this question, without these verses?

I totally agree with you.. That's exactly why I wanted to start this thread! I agree with all the points mentioned about the crazy extreme charismatics.. But it's not fair to say that people are not saved just because they believe gifts of the Spirit are operational today. That is where they painted with a broad brush.. I look up to guys like John MacArthur for understanding the scripture. But I am feeling they have taken it a little too far to say every continuationist is wrong and they are most likely not saved..

I am going to watch more videos and get the full message..

I wouldn't put too much into anything MacArthur says.
His claim that the gifts are dead is wrong.
Why should I look to him for anything else.
Also, his causing division in the church is exactly what the enemy wants.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back