Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Suggest a couple books for me =)

J

JTD

Hello all, I just got done reading "The Case for Easter: Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection", and "Flying Closer To The Flame - A Passion For The Holy Spirit", both where really good, I was wondering if you could suggest any books for me, I like books that explain things that are often debate topics between atheists and Christians, or books that explain sections of the bible, and get very in-depth.

Thanks all
God bless

Hi JTD,

If you have not read it already, I would suggest "The Dawkins Delusion?" by Alister McGrath. Its a short book, but very interesting and a great rebuttal to "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.

Here's a link to its wikipedia article:

The Dawkins Delusion?

A really good book that i am reading now is called" Prayer" and it's written by Philip Yancey. It will change your view about prayer!

diviana said:
A really good book that i am reading now is called" Prayer" and it's written by Philip Yancey. It will change your view about prayer!

I found it on Amazon, it looks great and has lots of good reviews, I might order that.

I'm glad! :) And while you are at it, you should try reading Unshakable Foundations (Bethany, 2001) by Norman Geisler, if you hadn't read it yet. It's good for knowing the truth through the lens of science. You should recommend to me some good books too ... I'm a book addict :)

Try Ravi Zaccharias. "Can Man Live Without God" is a good read - and good apologetics.

I would suggest "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" "Healing Spiritual Abuse: How to Break Free from Bad Church Experiences" and "Twisted Scriptures"

http://www.amazon.com/Subtle-Power-Spir ... 1556611609

You need to know what many so-called non-believers and athiets have been through to cause them to be the way they are as well as being able to recognize if it is being done to you.

A Clockwork Orange

A really good read, and a good debate book. The book is about the freedom to choose from right and wrong. The Main Character is pretty much evil incarnate and you'll basically hate him through the entire book. Though there is the part where he finds God/Bog( slang term, the book is riddled with allot of made up slang, but once you get the hang of it, its easy to figure out).

The point of the book is to see if freedom to choose evil is better rather then to not be able to choose evil at all. It is a book that will really make you think about whether evil has its place in the world. Get the one with the added chapter, since it changes the ending drastically. :yes

Lance_Iguana said:
A Clockwork Orange

A really good read, and a good debate book. The book is about the freedom to choose from right and wrong. The Main Character is pretty much evil incarnate and you'll basically hate him through the entire book. Though there is the part where he finds God/Bog( slang term, the book is riddled with allot of made up slang, but once you get the hang of it, its easy to figure out).

The point of the book is to see if freedom to choose evil is better rather then to not be able to choose evil at all. It is a book that will really make you think about whether evil has its place in the world. Get the one with the added chapter, since it changes the ending drastically. :yes

Sounds good. Not speaking about Clockwork Orange the movie are we?

Fembot said:
Lance_Iguana said:
A Clockwork Orange

Sounds good. Not speaking about Clockwork Orange the movie are we?
The movie was based off the book. Though the last chapter didn't make it into the movie. The last chapter really changes how the reader sees the character. Even adds more to think about. :yes

LOL, I love the decor in that movie! It's a bit weird though.

I wish I had time to read more. Which was your favorite religious book?

Fembot said:
LOL, I love the decor in that movie! It's a bit weird though.

I wish I had time to read more. Which was your favorite religious book?
Bible wise Genesis followed by Mathew. Genesis had some crazy things going on, especially since the linage gets confusing on a casual read, and how its not to descriptive on other tribes/ people. Some people seem to just pop up out of no where. :lol

Non Christian, a book on Taoism I got from my library and a Brief explanation to Buddhism I read through at a Barne's and Noble's Cafe. After a few reads of different books, Buddhism came of to me as Christianity light. ( if more discussion is wanted on that topic, please message me since I don't want to derail this.) :P

Humor - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :lol

Not sure, I'm not much of a Christian lit person, and most of my study outside of the bible has been random history texts and the such.

ok i got three books for ya! and all of them can be gotten or read online so i will give you the links to read them online and if you wana get the actual book you can(one of them is not printed yet but is in the works but can be read now online)

The first book is the Pilgrims progress. it is a spiritual chritian parable it is great!!!

the second book is called soverign God for us and through us and can be read here:

http://www.unleavenedbreadministries.org/?page=e-book

This book is good on doctrine, in depth and on building up the most holy faith in Jesus Christ, lots of scripture, lots of testimony, almost ALL on things that christians debate and made easy to study.

The last one is all about prophecy and this one is in the works of printing so it has to be read online it is called Hidden Manna for the End Times.

http://www.unleavenedbreadministries.org/?page=e-book2

If you check them out let me know what you think!

JTD said:
Hello all, I just got done reading "The Case for Easter: Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection", and "Flying Closer To The Flame - A Passion For The Holy Spirit", both where really good, I was wondering if you could suggest any books for me, I like books that explain things that are often debate topics between atheists and Christians, or books that explain sections of the bible, and get very in-depth.

Thanks all
God bless

The book found at this link is right up your alley. It covers the topic of how Jesus fulfiiled the 4 day time specific prophecy of Exodus 12 concerning the Passover Laws as well as a possible explination for how Jesus fulfilled 3 days and 3 nights in the manner that God defined time in the Scriptures.

http://www.thedeathandresurection.com/p ... ection.pdf

The study is very detailed and objective covering the topic from every diversified Christian perception letting the multiple prophecies and their evidence of fulfillment be the light to the differing testimonies of men for this subject.

I was an athiest prior to this read. I can no longer claim there is no God due to the author being able to prove that Time specific Prophecy was fulfilled.

Your going to love this book and there is much more to it than first meets the eyes!

God Bless

JTD said:

Thanks all
God bless

If you liked the "A Case for..." series by Strobel, you would probably like Josh McDowell's "Evidence That Demands a Verdict". He updated it with "The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict" and I'm posting a link to it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Demands- ... 575&sr=8-1

I only read the original book, and found it at a higher level than Strobel's. Not that his aren't very compelling. My favorite of that series is probably "A Case For Faith".

I go through phases where I read a lot of biblical fiction and then I'll read a lot of nonfiction Christian work, but I'm always reading something! Lot of great stuff out there!

Back