Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

supplements?!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm 38. I've been doing a DIY version of Orthomolecular for...well, all the "problems" my pre-conversion existence involved...since 25/26. It's pretty simple...mostly letter vitamins (c, b, e, etc.) at high to massive doses. Kind of somewhat popular(ish) in the 60s-70s/early 80s, especially in psych indications. In those settings, Orthomolecular was sometimes used to minimize (or taper) psych drugs and more often it seems to have been used with standard treatment to reduce adverse effects, eventually reduce the dosage of drugs needed (-especially- helpful when dealing with antipsychotics/major tranquillizers), and there are also numerous case reports of the vitamins (both with and without ongoing drug treatment) helping to control the signs of tardive dyskinesia. OK :)

So, now...I'm officially labeled "schizophrenic" (long story) and also have more access to basic healthcare, and...I'm surprisingly healthy. Of course, I -genuinely- repented at age 28 and kept on with the supplements, so...I'm more under the impression that God saw fit to spare me and eventually make me healthy and surprisingly of sound mind by His own will and grace...

but I do still take the vitamins and antioxidants. :)

are any of you out there taking supplements and/or looking into "alternative" and/or "complementary" treatments for yourself and/or others? I'm not a die hard, true believer (and again: on meds, just not tons of meds...reasonable doses, etc...I also get standard medical care when needed, which isn't terribly often, thank goodness...), but I do really, truly honestly think that supplements help me in my situation, especially now that God has willed to make me healthy. I need to drop some weight and watch my caffeine intake (I grab coffee...hot, cold, doesn't matter...by reflex...), and...

rambling, sorry. I think I'm just looking to see where those who respond are with the "alternative" health thing. I take the handfuls of mostly water-soluble, mostly inexpensive letter vitamins plus some add on antioxidants. Now and then I get...not paranoid these days, but somewhere between anxiety and agitation, and I'm currently finding a relatively inexpensive Passion Flower extract helpful, as needed. Honestly? I'm prescribed a low dose of gabapentin/neurontin for as needed use, but the Passion Flower extract at a low dose as needed gets me the desired effect -- calm, cool, collected -- with less sedation and cognitive impairment.

OK...thanks :)

rambling, sorry. I think I'm just looking to see where those who respond are with the "alternative" health thing. I take the handfuls of mostly water-soluble, mostly inexpensive letter vitamins plus some add on antioxidants. Now and then I get...not paranoid these days, but somewhere between anxiety and agitation, and I'm currently finding a relatively inexpensive Passion Flower extract helpful, as needed. Honestly? I'm prescribed a low dose of gabapentin/neurontin for as needed use, but the Passion Flower extract at a low dose as needed gets me the desired effect -- calm, cool, collected -- with less sedation and cognitive impairment.

I used to be a big gym rat, working out every day, and training in the martial arts. The level of physical activity I did absolutely required multi-vitamins and a protein supplement. If I neglected to take a multi-vitamin, even for a day, I would feel it in my workouts - a flatness of energy, and struggle to focus.

It's a pretty well-known fact that stress depletes one's B-vitamin levels very rapidly. Without sufficient B-vitamins in one's system, one's capacity to handle stress declines sharply. Often, anxiety, depression and insomnia can be linked directly to a lack of B-vitamins, these two psychological maladies increasing in proportion to one's deficit of B-vitamins.

Though I once was severely plagued by anxiety and depression, by personality, prone to worry and anxiousness, I've never needed any pharmacological assistance in finding balance within. God and His word have been sufficient. He has promised to be my peace and rest, to give me an abundance of who He is (love, joy, peace, etc.) and as He does, I find myself with an inner equilibrium that is sometimes astonishing to me!

I am a physical being, however, and have physical needs that, if ignored, can effect my psychological state pretty significantly. And so, though I enjoy good things with my Lord, I don't neglect to take care of my physical body, too, eating well, exercising, taking vitamin supplements, and getting plenty of sleep.

Good call ☎️

My faith is growing now…largely because of His work in my life.

B vitamins are vital. I’m not in need of so called antidepressants in part because I make it a point to take megadoses of b complex. B vitamins are non toxic and often have multiple health benefits. Antidepressants…not so much…

I tried taurine for a while to help me calm down a couple notches. It was…ok? I was already taking high dose B3 for anxiety etc., so that kind of made it difficult to see which supplement was best for me..

Thanks for the link.

A lot of vitamin stores make their own multi vitamins. Some use better forms of some vitamins and provide higher doses of b complex and antioxidants. So…I guess check iherb vitacost etc. and see what you think…

I'm 38. I've been doing a DIY version of Orthomolecular for...well, all the "problems" my pre-conversion existence involved...since 25/26. It's pretty simple...mostly letter vitamins (c, b, e, etc.) at high to massive doses. Kind of somewhat popular(ish) in the 60s-70s/early 80s, especially in psych indications. In those settings, Orthomolecular was sometimes used to minimize (or taper) psych drugs and more often it seems to have been used with standard treatment to reduce adverse effects, eventually reduce the dosage of drugs needed (-especially- helpful when dealing with antipsychotics/major tranquillizers), and there are also numerous case reports of the vitamins (both with and without ongoing drug treatment) helping to control the signs of tardive dyskinesia. OK :)

So, now...I'm officially labeled "schizophrenic" (long story) and also have more access to basic healthcare, and...I'm surprisingly healthy. Of course, I -genuinely- repented at age 28 and kept on with the supplements, so...I'm more under the impression that God saw fit to spare me and eventually make me healthy and surprisingly of sound mind by His own will and grace...

but I do still take the vitamins and antioxidants. :)

are any of you out there taking supplements and/or looking into "alternative" and/or "complementary" treatments for yourself and/or others? I'm not a die hard, true believer (and again: on meds, just not tons of meds...reasonable doses, etc...I also get standard medical care when needed, which isn't terribly often, thank goodness...), but I do really, truly honestly think that supplements help me in my situation, especially now that God has willed to make me healthy. I need to drop some weight and watch my caffeine intake (I grab coffee...hot, cold, doesn't matter...by reflex...), and...

We've discussed before the nature of supplements and how they help. I think after all these years you are doing a great job and how you can reduce medications/medical care. In addition, despite your label, I said before and say it again you make more sense than many people's posts I read. You are not rambling but making many good points - you seem to be very intelligent so in your case I do think there's a biological reason for what you are experiencing and the mega-vitamins are indeed showing the truth to that in that they help.

The vitamins you mentioned are used in orthomolecular that the Rodale books used to talk about. Lately, though, I would add vitamin D (I did not know the significance until about 10 years ago and I'm 64 now). It may or may not help, but the more the merrier - taking a vitamin D3 blood test will tell you where you stand. Most doctors don't say anything unless you are below 20 or 30 ng/mL but in reality, probably a minimum of 50 is optimal. Of course good 'ol fashion sunshine will give that as well as supplements (although the solar altitude should be above 50 degrees to help a lot). The sun is good as stated in Malachi 4:2 with "healing in it's wings" (some translations say 'rays').

Peace be to you.

I shop at vitacost. They make their own brand multi. I’d go for it if I wasn’t already high dosing letter vitamins. It’s 6 tablets with a meal containing fat daily but it looks very thorough. But I dunno 🤷‍♂️ if that’s not your thing I’d check out NOW brand but try to not buy it from Amazon because they’ve had some counterfeit products lately.

Hope this helps…

I shop at vitacost. They make their own brand multi. I’d go for it if I wasn’t already high dosing letter vitamins. It’s 6 tablets with a meal containing fat daily but it looks very thorough. But I dunno 🤷‍♂️ if that’s not your thing I’d check out NOW brand but try to not buy it from Amazon because they’ve had some counterfeit products lately.

Hope this helps…
I shop at vitacost but I take my supplements separately (just as cheap IMO). I'll check this out because my wife was looking for a better multi. From what you say it sounds like the late Dr. Douglass' multivitamin that he put out was complete like this. Well, he died at the ripe age of 90 and then the business he had took over and cheapened it IMO. So I stopped that one, but at the time I loved them. I used to call them my "vacation vitamins" that were easier to take without all the pills. You just needed 6 a day, and for a week or so that was fine if I cut back on other things for that short time such as fish oil.

Anyone into race horse knowledge?

Farm animals are taken better care of nutritionally than humans. They get minerals, essential oils, amino acids?

If you have a 10 million dollar horse they get the works. A human just gets drugs.

Calves used to be pampered when young.
Salt blocks contain minerals.

Sweat contains minerals. Joel Wallach suggests that athletes need minerals.

More later.

eddif

2 Peter 1:5 kjv
5. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6. And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Spiritual supplements:

When I started taking supplements I thought of spiritual supplements. I thought here I am taking body supplements and do not know the list of Faith supplements. This has not been too long ago.

I am glad to see the thread start.
You done good.

eddif

Ok right quick

IMHO
In Eden trace minerals were brought in by rivers
A mist from the ground brought minerals to plants
God taught spiritual things to Adam and Eve

After sin no more garden

After flood no more water rising from ground to give plants trace minerals . In fact rain washes minerals away from plants. There is however grace in all this. Ancient deposits of trace minerals exist. Instead of some of our human projects we could be mining these deposits to get needed minerals for plants and humans.

Since God is not teaching evening classes now, we have the Holy Spirit to lead us into what we need to know. Sorry but some of it is hidden just like trace mineral deposits.
Just tongues will not get it done. You need the interpretation too. Or you just need the knowledge.

If Christ_empowered does not mind my posts.

After two cases of malaria. Two cases of Covid, brown recluse spider bite, lone star tick bite. My wife and her deer tick. We are searching and looking into the one new man made of Jew and gentile. (Neither of us is Jewish as such).

eddif

I started using essential oils to help with sleep and calmness, Clary Sage on my chest helped the most to calm me down -- feels like Vicks VapoRub, feels like it opens up my lungs too.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back