Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The 5 Most Popular Supplements

Lewis

What supplements are inside your medicine cabinet? The most popular products today are fish oil, multivitamins, vitamin D, calcium, and CoQ10, according to a new survey of over 6,000 serious supplement users from ConsumerLab.com, which conducts independent evaluations of health and nutrition products. The most surprising result? “We’ve been able to see how the popularity of vitamin D has shot up over the past two years,†says Tod Cooperman, M.D., president of ConsumerLab.com. “More and more information has been coming out about the benefits of vitamin D beyond bone health.†Read on to find out whether you should be getting a daily dose of these popular pills too.
1. FISH OIL

A whopping 76% of those surveyed regularly take a fish oil supplement containing the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. These fatty acids have an anti-inflammatory effect in the body, which is why research has linked them to health benefits related to cardiovascular disease, arthritis, and even cancer risk, to name a few. “There’s been so much good evidence about the benefits of these omega-3 fatty acids,†says Cooperman. “There’s very little downside to taking a fish oil supplement.â€
Is it right for you? There is no official daily recommendation from the FDA or the Institute of Medicine for a daily amount of these particular fatty acids. Ask your doctor if you might benefit from a fish oil supplement.
2. MULTIVITAMINS

While many people still take a multivitamin as a daily insurance policy against potential diet deficiencies, their use has declined in recent years from 74% in 2008 to 70% in 2010, according to the ConsumerLab.com survey. “Multivitamins have been notching down a bit,†says Cooperman. “It’s often better to focus in on the specific supplements that you really need, rather than take a [scattered] shotgun approach.â€
Is it right for you? There’s generally no harm in taking a multivitamin, though if you eat a varied diet, you may not need one. A note of caution: ConsumerLab.com has found in the past that not all multivitamin labels list the most up-to-date daily value information for certain nutrients. Look up the IOM’s most recent nutrient recommendations and compare the amounts recommended for your age and gender to what’s in your multi, says Cooperman.
3. VITAMIN D

Over half (56%) of those surveyed in ConsumerLab.com’s report take vitamin D regularly (up from 48% in 2009 and 37% in 2008), with more women than men popping this supplement. Vitamin’s D’s surge in popularity is due to the increasing number of studies pointing to its health benefits: Not only is it essential in helping your body absorb calcium, but it may also ward off breast, colorectal, ovarian, and other cancers. Research also suggests that it may play a role in regulating immunity, relieving backaches, lowering diabetes risk, and even fighting depression.
Is it right for you? The IOM recommends that adults 70 and younger get 600 IU of vitamin D daily. Many Americans get this amount from food and sunlight (your body can make the vitamin with 10 to 15 minutes of sun exposure.) While certain people (who may be low in D, due to side effects of medications, such as acid reducers that inhibit vitamin absorption) may require higher doses, the IOM stressed the dangers of doses that are too high (above 4000 IU). If you take a multivitamin, factor in the amount of vitamin D you may already be getting.
4. CALCIUM

Calcium supplementation is on the rise, used by over half (55%) of the survey respondents. While calcium is known for building strong bones and reducing the risk of osteoporosis (which is likely why more women than men reported taking this supplement), it may also lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and help keep blood pressure in check. Other research has suggested it can soothe PMS symptoms and rev weight loss, and it may help prevent colon cancer.
Is it right for you? It can be difficult to get all the calcium you need from food sources such as low-fat dairy and leafy greens, and multivitamins often provide only 25 to 45% of the daily recommended amount. In particular, many women fall short of the recommended levels of calcium—1,000 mg a day for women 50 and younger, and 1,200 mg a day for those 51 and over. What’s more, certain medications, including antibiotics and antacids, can deplete your calcium levels. (It’s important to note, however, that calcium can interfere with other mineral absorption, such as iron, so if you take both supplements, be sure to take them at different times.) If you have kidney disease, heart problems, or gastrointestinal issues such as chronic constipation, talk to your doctor, since additional calcium may not be recommended for you.
5. COENZYME Q10

This antioxidant, known as CoQ10 or ubiquinone, is taken by over half (55%) of respondents—and was more likely to be used by men than women. It’s made naturally in the body (in your heart, liver, pancreas, and kidneys), and experts believe the supplement works by improving energy production in cells, especially those that keep your heart functioning. In fact, CoQ10 has been proven to help treat heart conditions such as congestive heart failure and may be useful in treating hypertension.
Is it right for you? Like many other antioxidants, CoQ10 is found in certain foods, but certain drugs, such as statins (taken to lower cholesterol), may deplete your body’s natural stores. If you’re on statins, it’s worth asking your doctor if taking a supplement of 60 to 100 mg up to 3 times a day might be right for you. Since CoQ10 can interact with certain medications (it can blunt the effects of blood-thinning drugs, for example), talk to your doctor before taking it.

The 5 Most Popular Supplements

OK, here's my reply to supplements as I take about 24 pills a day (but I also eat good foods, fruits vegetables and from the other food groups as well).

#1 The old Rodale books used to call this vitamin F (omega 3). This is definitely important. I take one or two "Rescues" a day (they recommend 4-6) but the supplier uses it to lower cholesterol which I think is not important. Cholesterol readings do not indicate heart disease as much as the medical establishment would have you believe.
#2 Multivits--- most are "establishment types" giving 1-2 X the RDA. Probably they are worthless except for those abysmally deficient. I tend to take my vitamins separately to control the dosage (which is why I take so many pills daily).
#3 Vitamin D: This is also important, but make sure you get D3 more effective than D2. And take at least 5000 units daily. Most that push vitamin D only suggest 1000 units. The best source is from your body's cholesterol converted by sunlight to vitamin D. This vitamin is so important that your body converts about 10,000 to 20,000 units in about half an hour of sun (compare that to the US RDA of a measly 400 units). So the best source of vitamin D is the cholesterol in your body PLUS direct, summer sunlight (kept within reason that you do not burn or course). Vitamin D helps prevent against heart disease and cancers. Oh yeah, that's right. They tell you to avoid cholesterol and sunlight these days. People have been doing this. And is there MORE or LESS cancer these days? I rest my case.
#4: Calcium: Take this with its sister mineral magnesium or else it won't do much good.
#5: CoQ10: That is good, too but take that with other B-vitamins that reduce inflammation specifically Folic Acid, B6 and B12. As a matter of fact, take the whole B-complex many times the RDA.

Now about Folic Acid, the US government limits the size of the dosage to 2x the RDA because too much folic acid can HIDE the symptoms of pernicious anemia (B12 deficiency). I know I don't have that anemia, so I take more than WHAT IS ALLOWED BY LAW in a pill by taking 10X the RDA at least. The Lord is proud of me for taking nutrients He created and doing so.

Now for other nutrients you don't hear about that I take:

Inositol, choline, Biotin, PABA, along with the other B-vitamins. 35,000 units of A, 2000 of C, 6000+D and 800 units of E. I take these with calcium, magnesium, zinc and selenium primarily, but I have a mighty multivit that includes chromium, (some) iron and copper (but I tend to shy away from them) and other obscure minerals such as Manganese.

in all that, make sure you get for calories: 1) proteins (which break down to individual amino acids), 2) carbohydrates (Simple, complex and fiber both soluble and insoluble) except for the fiber, don't overdo the carbs as many carbs are used to replace "bad" fats in processed foods these days and contribute to heart disease in spite of watching the cholesterol and fats. and 3) all fats. If I had my choice, I'd say fats were healthy in this order: monounsaturated fats (such as olive oil), saturated fats (like in meat) and lastly the least beneficial polyunsaturated fats (vegetable oils---many contain too many omega 6's).

That's my health advice in a nutshell.

My doctor discovered a few months ago that I had a severe Vitamin D defficiency after I complained with chronic fatigue. I have been taking 2,000 Units a day since and am astonished by how much better I feel! I really just thought it was normal to feel the way I felt, but I know better now. It turns out that all that sunscreen I was applying because that's what I was told I should do, was doing me more harm than good.

I'm a supplement fiend, which is kind of strange considering how tubby I've gotten. Anyway, here's what I take: 6 grams taurine; 3 grams green tea extract; 600mgs alpha lipoic acid; 2+ grams fish oil; 2 b-100s; 3 grams niacinamide (b3); 4+ grams vitamin c; 1600 IU natural vitamin E; 400 micrograms selenium; 2.4 grams NAC; BioSil.

When I remember (which isn't often), I take a vitamin d/magnesium/calcium combo capsule. I also take a generic multi-vitamin when I remember.

I usually have multi vitamins, Evening Primrose, Vitamin C, and sometimes Echinacea, Ginko Biloba and Glucosamine.

It's lucky that I don't have to take any regular medication, as I am terrible at remembering to take them.

I'm a supplement fiend, which is kind of strange considering how tubby I've gotten. Anyway, here's what I take: 6 grams taurine; 3 grams green tea extract; 600mgs alpha lipoic acid; 2+ grams fish oil; 2 b-100s; 3 grams niacinamide (b3); 4+ grams vitamin c; 1600 IU natural vitamin E; 400 micrograms selenium; 2.4 grams NAC; BioSil.

When I remember (which isn't often), I take a vitamin d/magnesium/calcium combo capsule. I also take a generic multi-vitamin when I remember.

I'm tubby, too, but consider myself well nourished between my diet and supplements. I hate it when doctors think one is fat automatically put you in the same category as one who it vitamin deficient and got that way from eating only excessive amounts of pizza and cheese burgers.

My problem is I eat some of that, but I worry about nutrients so I'll eat nuts, and salads and fruit and whatnot ON TOP of it all. I do have a healthy appetite. So, I'm simply getting too many calories like I am vitamins as well. I'm otherwise hardly ever sick and when I am sick or injured, I recover quickly. At 52 I have nothing to worry about, and oh, my BP the other night. I took several readings, let's see what the cuff averaged....(checking the "average" button) 117/76.

The thing about dieting and adjusting to a "newer lower calorie lifestyle" is that to take in fewer calories means less nutrients which is why I see dieters and some skinny people more sickly IMO. Ironically, that is what we are trying to avoid. Like most medical advice, I'm starting to question the wisdom of it, and having a few extra pounds may not be so bad after all.

Back