Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The "bless whatever you eat" lie!

precepts

I recently came across a verse in the old testament, and it got me to thinking. In the new testament, there are some contradictions to scripture that most overlook, that Paul could never of said concerning meats sacrificed to idols!
1Cr 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol [is] nothing in the world, and that [there is] none other God but one.
1Cr 8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
1Cr 8:6 But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.
1Cr 8:7 Howbeit [there is] not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat [it] as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
1Cr 8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
1Cr 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
1Cr 8:10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
1Cr 8:11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
These verses falsely state the eating of meat sacrificed to idols is not a sin if eaten with a clear conscience!

1Cr 10:19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?
1Cr 10:20 But I [say], that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
1Cr 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
1Cr 10:22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?
1Cr 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
1Cr 10:24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's [wealth].
1Cr 10:25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, [that] eat, asking no question for conscience sake:
1Cr 10:26 For the earth [is] the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.
1Cr 10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you [to a feast], and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
1Cr 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth [is] the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:
1Cr 10:29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another [man's] conscience?
1Cr 10:30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?
1Cr 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1Cr 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
1Cr 10:33 Even as I please all [men] in all [things], not seeking mine own profit, but the [profit] of many, that they may be saved.
I think somewhere in the new testament speaks of not being "men pleasers," right?

2Cr 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Cr 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Cr 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Cr 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
2Cr 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
A definite contradiction to the two prior verses, which is more in line with Paul's character.
1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
This one might be out of context in referring to clean and unclean meats, but I still think they're pushing the point of prayer and blessing as a cleanser. ::giggle::

Now the verses I found interesting in the old:
Exd 34:12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:
Exd 34:13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:
Exd 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name [is] Jealous, [is] a jealous God:
Exd 34:15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and [one] call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;
Exd 34:16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.
The fact is, Israel sinned when "Balaam" and his country women gave the Israelite men meat sacrificed to idols that probably bewitched them into comitting fornication with them!
Num 25:1 And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab.
Num 25:2 And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.
Num 25:3 And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel.
The point is, "the people did eat," probably unknowingly!

Revelation's warning to two of the seven churches:
Rev 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
The disciples warning:
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
The message I get from reading these verses is to watch who you eat from, and being from the caribbean it takes on a whole new meaning. Like "Granny" would say on the "Beverly Hillbillies" tv show, "Jed, how do you think you was got, not by courting!"

I guess I should of added this to my "False Prophets = Sorcerors" thread!

I don't see the "contradictions"?

In 1 Corinthians 8, Paul (inspired by the Holy Spirit) is teaching that there are no other gods...that meat sacrificed to another "god" is just meat and therefore there is nothing inherently wrong with eating it.

However, Paul's concern is for a weaker brother, who might be led to believe that idol worship is OK for Christians, if he sees another Christian eating meat that has been sacrificed to idols.

This same concern is picked up in 1 Corinthians 10, in which Paul again reiterates that it isn't the meat itself which is the problem...meat is meat. If someone sets a dish before, eat and don't worry. Paul even puts forth a "don't ask" policy...don't worry about what happened with the meat placed before, and don't ask about it, eat it with clear conscience.

BUT...for love of a weaker brother, if one finds that the meat was indeed sacrificed to an idol, and the brother would be led into idol worship because of this...then don't eat...not because of the meat itself, but because of the weaker faith of the brother.

This is entirely consistent with what our Lord said about it not being what goes into a man that defiles...as Jesus very bluntly put it: "Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated?" (Matthew 15:17)

This covers not only meat sacrificed to idols, but also "clean" and "unclean" meats...nothing is forbidden, all is OK if eaten with thanksgiving. However, if a brother believes it to be sinful to eat a pork chop, or that by eating meat offered to a false god means participating in idol worship...then we must abstain, for the good of the weaker brother. The law we need to apply here is not one from the old covenant, which has passed away, but rather the law of the new covenant, the law of love your brother as yourself.

I don't see the "contradictions"?

In 1 Corinthians 8, Paul (inspired by the Holy Spirit) is teaching that there are no other gods...that meat sacrificed to another "god" is just meat and therefore there is nothing inherently wrong with eating it.

However, Paul's concern is for a weaker brother, who might be led to believe that idol worship is OK for Christians, if he sees another Christian eating meat that has been sacrificed to idols.

This same concern is picked up in 1 Corinthians 10, in which Paul again reiterates that it isn't the meat itself which is the problem...meat is meat. If someone sets a dish before, eat and don't worry. Paul even puts forth a "don't ask" policy...don't worry about what happened with the meat placed before, and don't ask about it, eat it with clear conscience.

BUT...for love of a weaker brother, if one finds that the meat was indeed sacrificed to an idol, and the brother would be led into idol worship because of this...then don't eat...not because of the meat itself, but because of the weaker faith of the brother.

This is entirely consistent with what our Lord said about it not being what goes into a man that defiles...as Jesus very bluntly put it: "Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated?" (Matthew 15:17)

This covers not only meat sacrificed to idols, but also "clean" and "unclean" meats...nothing is forbidden, all is OK if eaten with thanksgiving. However, if a brother believes it to be sinful to eat a pork chop, or that by eating meat offered to a false god means participating in idol worship...then we must abstain, for the good of the weaker brother. The law we need to apply here is not one from the old covenant, which has passed away, but rather the law of the new covenant, the law of love your brother as yourself.

Great post!
thumbsup1-1.gif

Actually, it doesn't cover unclean meats at all. In fact, despite what may people think, the issue of whether or not it is allowed to eat those meats forbidden by the Old Testament law is never addressed in the New Testament, neither by Jesus nor any of the apostles. If you look at the various issues that are addressed, especially in Pauls letters, you will find that they have one thing in common - debate. Some people believed that eating meat sacrificed to idols is a sin, while others believed there was nothing wrong with it. Paul settled the matter (he said don't eat it if you know it's been sacrificed - basically a "don't ask don't tell" policy). Some believed that you had to be circumcized and formally convert to Judaism to obtain salvation, but others believed it was enough to have faith. Paul settled that mattar also (you don't have to be cricumcized, but it isn't forbidden). Some people believed that a man could get divorced for any reason, while others believed that a divorce was only valid in the case of infidelity. Paul and Jesus both addressed this issue (it's allowed in cases of adultery and when an unbelieving spouse wants a divorce).

Notice, however, that there is no justification to be found in the entire New Testament for the commandment "thou shalt not kill". Why do you suppose that is? Because it's no longer valid? No, obviously not. It's because nobody was questioning the validity of tha commandment. There was no need to explain it. The same goes for the commandments not to steas, to honor our parents and many others that nobody questioned, including (are you ready for it?) clean and unclean meats, which day the Sabbath was on and which annual festivals to celebrate. These are all direct commandments from God, and nobody questioned their validity. There is, however, no direct commandment against eating food offered to idols in the law. That idea was derived by the rabbis from their understanding that we are to have nothing to do with idolatry in any form. Paul confirms that this understanding is correct when he says in I Cor. 10 that those who eat sacrifices are partakers in the altar, and we shouldn't be partakers in Pagan altars (have fellowship with devils, as he puts it).

Theofilus said:
The same goes for the commandments not to steas, to honor our parents and many others that nobody questioned, including (are you ready for it?) clean and unclean meats, which day the Sabbath was on and which annual festivals to celebrate.

Maybe the Jews didn't question it...but most likely many of the Gentiles who grew up eating a wide variety of meats did...and I don't believe that God meant the vision He gave to Peter (Acts 10) to be absolutely only a "symbolic vision" of the Gentiles, but indeed a very real end to the commandment of clean and unclean animals. The vision brought forth the opening of the gospel to the Gentiles, the very people who would be eating unclean animals and not observing the Sabbath day...so what were the Gentiles supposed to do...believe and observe all the Old Covenant laws? Or follow the New Covenant? The New Covenant does not have a table of Law to follow, it is characterized as the law that is written upon the heart. However, certain things would be more problematic than others and the Holy Spirit addresses some of these things, to either reiterate it's sinful status, such as adultery, fornication, drunkenness, thievery, etc. or to clarify our liberty from the Law in certain things: circumcision, dietary laws, what day to do religious observances on...

Keep in mind that "unclean" animals were only prohibited from the Hebrew diet at the onset of the Law of Moses...when God first gave the animals to be eaten (which was after everyone got off the ark) all animals were OK to eat:

Genesis 9:3-4 "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood."

Yes, "clean" and "unclean" animals were taken on the ark, presumably for sacrifices...not for food...no one ate of any animal until after the flood, and when God gave the animals for food, He gave every animal, every moving thing that is alive for food. The Law of Moses forbade certain animals, but God gave them as food prior to the Law of Moses and there is liberty in eating them after the fulfillment of that Law.

Again, Jesus reiterated that it was not what went into a man's stomach that defiled, for what goes in, is digested and is eliminated.

And, although I doubt that anyone questioned which day the Sabbath was on, the idea that Gentiles had to observe the Sabbath was also dealt with:

Colossians 2:15-23 "When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.
Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as,"Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)--in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?
These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

Food and "days" were also discussed with the Roman church as well:

Romans 14:2-8 "One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

So, sorry Theo, I have to disagree with your premise that these issues are not addressed. What to eat and when to worship were indeed addressed and fall into the same category as circumcision...not mandated, but not forbidden. However, if one chooses to be circumcised, or to observe the Sabbath or to eat only clean meats...it need be from consciences' sake, and not from the idea that it is necessary for our salvation. To make these issues salvation issues would mean that one is putting oneself back under the Law, and there is no salvation in that at all.

Precepts, let's keep the discussion focused on the issues and not resort to calling others heretics.

I'm seeing some skirting of the terms of service of this board here...Precepts, keep in mind that Paul's "writings" are wholly inspired by the Holy Spirit, just as much as Revelations and the Gospels are.

Jesus Himself taught us that it is not what goes into a man's stomach that defiles him:

"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man......"Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated?" (Matthew 15:11&17)

The vision of Peter was recorded by Luke, (not Paul) and the fact that no one is still under the dietary laws (or Sabbath law for that matter) is further reinforced by the letter that apostles and elders wrote to the Church at Antioch. The issue there was, again, should the Gentiles have to obey the Law of Moses and be circumcised? How much of Jewish law did Gentile converts to Christianity have to submit to. Peter was the one who gave the most eloquent argument for not having the Gentiles submit to the Law saying:

"Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. "Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are."(Acts 15:7-11)

The result was that the council of apostles and elders at Jerusalem wrote to Antioch and told them to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, from things strangled and blood, and from fornication. Nothing in there about clean or unclean meats, nor about the Sabbath day.

For me, this letter truly settles the matter (I understand it doesn't for everyone) because this letter represents the decision by the first church council just what the Gentiles were going to be expected to follow. Even the prohibition of meat sacrificed to idols came under further scrutiny...ergo Paul's "don't ask, don't tell" policy...but it's clear that no Sabbath days or differentiating about "clean" and "unclean" meats were included.

And, for the Gentiles, especially those who lived in far north of Jerusalem, into Turkey and further west into Europe would need solid instruction as to what animals were indeed "clean" and "unclean" because the list gets a little confusing at times. These "unclean" animals were common food amongst the Europeans...if it were indeed sinful for them to eat of these animals, the issue surely would have been addressed. Which in fact it was, under the issue of what laws of the Jews the Gentiles would be expected to keep...and "clean" versus "unclean" animals didn't make the list.

I'm seeing some skirting of the terms of service of this board here...Precepts, keep in mind that Paul's "writings" are wholly inspired by the Holy Spirit, just as much as Revelations and the Gospels are.

Jesus Himself taught us that it is not what goes into a man's stomach that defiles him:

"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man......"Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated?" (Matthew 15:11&17)

The vision of Peter was recorded by Luke, (not Paul) and the fact that no one is still under the dietary laws (or Sabbath law for that matter) is further reinforced by the letter that apostles and elders wrote to the Church at Antioch. The issue there was, again, should the Gentiles have to obey the Law of Moses and be circumcised? How much of Jewish law did Gentile converts to Christianity have to submit to. Peter was the one who gave the most eloquent argument for not having the Gentiles submit to the Law saying:

"Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. "Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are."(Acts 15:7-11)

The result was that the council of apostles and elders at Jerusalem wrote to Antioch and told them to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, from things strangled and blood, and from fornication. Nothing in there about clean or unclean meats, nor about the Sabbath day.

For me, this letter truly settles the matter (I understand it doesn't for everyone) because this letter represents the decision by the first church council just what the Gentiles were going to be expected to follow. Even the prohibition of meat sacrificed to idols came under further scrutiny...ergo Paul's "don't ask, don't tell" policy...but it's clear that no Sabbath days or differentiating about "clean" and "unclean" meats were included.

And, for the Gentiles, especially those who lived in far north of Jerusalem, into Turkey and further west into Europe would need solid instruction as to what animals were indeed "clean" and "unclean" because the list gets a little confusing at times. These "unclean" animals were common food amongst the Europeans...if it were indeed sinful for them to eat of these animals, the issue surely would have been addressed. Which in fact it was, under the issue of what laws of the Jews the Gentiles would be expected to keep...and "clean" versus "unclean" animals didn't make the list.
So you're saying it's okay to eat foods sacrificed to idols? Yes or no?

No, but not because of the food itself. It is wrong if it leads to idol worship. In the texts in Revelations, when Christ is condemning the churches at Pergamum and Thyatira, it is clear that the churches began to embrace idol worship and immorality.

If one eats a meat though, and found out that it was sacrificed to an idol, they didn't sin. If they eat the meat because it was sacrificed to an idol, or by eating the meat, caused a weaker brother to flirt with idol worship...then yeah, they are sinning big time!

No, but not because of the food itself. It is wrong if it leads to idol worship. In the texts in Revelations, when Christ is condemning the churches at Pergamum and Thyatira, it is clear that the churches began to embrace idol worship and immorality.

If one eats a meat though, and found out that it was sacrificed to an idol, they didn't sin. If they eat the meat because it was sacrificed to an idol, or by eating the meat, caused a weaker brother to flirt with idol worship...then yeah, they are sinning big time!

thumbsup3.gif

So, are you saying that gentiles are not expected to keep those commandments that aren't specifically listed in that letter? That would include such commanments as...

• Thou shalt not steal
  • Thou shalt not kill
  • Thou shalt not bear fals witness against thy neighbor
  • Honor thy father and mother
  • Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy god in vein

... and many others. I think it is pretty clear that that letter was not intended to be a complete list of commandment that Gentile converts were to follow. We cannot, therefore, use that letter to support the idea that some things are no loger aplicable. If they have been abolished, we need something more than this letter to show it.

I will answer the other things you say later tonight, when I have more time.

So, are you saying that gentiles are not expected to keep those commandments that aren't specifically listed in that letter? That would include such commanments as...

• Thou shalt not steal
  • Thou shalt not kill
  • Thou shalt not bear fals witness against thy neighbor
  • Honor thy father and mother
  • Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy god in vein

... and many others. I think it is pretty clear that that letter was not intended to be a complete list of commandment that Gentile converts were to follow. We cannot, therefore, use that letter to support the idea that some things are no loger aplicable. If they have been abolished, we need something more than this letter to show it.

I will answer the other things you say later tonight, when I have more time.

I'll look forward to your post, Theo, always interesting to talk things over with you.

I do have an answer for the above...Jesus Himself gives us our Law:

And He answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." (Luke 10:27)

Stealing = not loving your neighbor
Killing = not loving your neighbor
Bearing false witness = not loving your neighbor
Dishonoring one's parents = not loving them
Taking God's name in vain = not loving God with all one's heart, soul, strength, mind.

Idol worship in the form of eating meat sacrificed to them because it was sacrificed to them = not loving God with all one's heart, soul, strength, mind.

I'll look forward to your post, Theo, always interesting to talk things over with you.

I do have an answer for the above...Jesus Himself gives us our Law:

And He answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." (Luke 10:27)

Stealing = not loving your neighbor
Killing = not loving your neighbor
Bearing false witness = not loving your neighbor
Dishonoring one's parents = not loving them
Taking God's name in vain = not loving God with all one's heart, soul, strength, mind.

Idol worship in the form of eating meat sacrificed to them because it was sacrificed to them = not loving God with all one's heart, soul, strength, mind.

Exactly!

I'm wondering...and if he is, then I'm outta here. Disappointed, but nonetheless I refuse to discuss anything with a mocker.

But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm wondering...and if he is, then I'm outta here. Disappointed, but nonetheless I refuse to discuss anything with a mocker.

But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
while handy isnt the guilty party, it would be nice if the other person would refrain from this. is this of the nature of christ?:yes

I originally answered this in one post, but it won't let me post it because it's too long, so this is going to be in a few posts. I hopes it's not so long that it keeps people from reading it.

Maybe the Jews didn't question it...but most likely many of the Gentiles who grew up eating a wide variety of meats did

I actually doubt that they did. I grew up eating all kinds of meats but, if I wanted to become a Hindu, I wouldn't question their rules about not eating any meat at all. In their religion, all living animals are sacred and, therefore, should not be eaten. If I was going to embrace Hinduism, I wouldn't question that. It's the same with the first Christians. According to the belief they were embracing, which was what we would call Messianic Judaism, God commanded us not to eat certain animals. I don't think they would question a direct commandment from God.

and I don't believe that God meant the vision He gave to Peter (Acts 10) to be absolutely only a "symbolic vision" of the Gentiles, but indeed a very real end to the commandment of clean and unclean animals. The vision brought forth the opening of the gospel to the Gentiles, the very people who would be eating unclean animals and not observing the Sabbath day

If Peter's vision was so clearly about unclean meats, I find it odd that Peter himself didn't realize that. After the vision was over, the Bible says:

While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. (Acts 10:17 NIV)​

Then, when Peter arrives at Cornelius' house:

He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. (Acts 10:28 NIV)​

There is no other meaning given anywhere for that vision. If this was some new revelation that it was no acceptable to violate one of God's direct commandments to His people, wouldn't it have been clearly stated in relation to the vision where that was revealed?

Peter told Cornelius that "it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile". But you can look as long and hard as you want, and you wont find anything in God's law that prohibits Jews from associating with Pagans. So, why did Peter say that? The rule of not visiting Gentiles was what Jesus called a "tradition of the elders". it was a Pharisaic rule which was not binding. The Bible says that God created all men in His image. We are not to call that unclean which bears God's own image (with the possible exception of when our kids have been playing in a mud puddle).

so what were the Gentiles supposed to do...believe and observe all the Old Covenant laws? Or follow the New Covenant?

Good question. Which should they do: obey the Word of God, or believe that parts of it had been done away with, because Paul wrote a letter about it the week before? What would you do? If I wrote you a letter saying that part of the Bible had been done away with, would you believe me? What did the Bereans do? They heard some preacher they knew nothing about say some things, and they went to the Scriptures to see if what he was saying lined up with what God had said. And you know what? It did. They didn't find anything in what Paul said to contradict the Bible. Would that have been the case if he had been preaching that the law had been changed? I think the answer to your question is obvious. They would have obeyed the Scriptures.

The New Covenant does not have a table of Law to follow, it is characterized as the law that is written upon the heart.

Which law is that? Speaking through the prophet Jeremiah, God said:

After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts (Jer. 31:33 KJV)​

The LORD said... my law... That's God's law. There was only one possible way that would have been understood by the people it was written to - that God was going to change our very nature, so it would be as natural for us to follow the law God gave His children as it is for us to breath. It is the law God gave at Mt. Sinai that is to be written on our hearts.

Now I am going to say something that is going to surprise you all. I hope you don't think me too much of a heretic for it. The New Covenant is not yet in full efect. It has started to take effect, but it is still only partial. Part of the covenant, as outlined in Jeremiah 31, is that we will no longer have any need for teaching, since we will all know the Lord, from the greatest of us to the smallest. Look around you. Is that what you see? No. This very thread, in fact, proves that this part of the covenant is not yet a reality. It's the same with the law. You can see by this thread and others, that the law is not completely written on all our hearts yet. Note that I am not saying that more of it is written on my heart than yours. It could be the other way around. But the fact is that it is not the same law written on both our hearts, which it will be when the New Covenant has taken full effect. Since this is the case, we do still need the law written on tablets of stone to guide us.

However, certain things would be more problematic than others and the Holy Spirit addresses some of these things, to either reiterate it's sinful status, such as adultery, fornication, drunkenness, thievery, etc. or to clarify our liberty from the Law in certain things: circumcision, dietary laws, what day to do religious observances on

You mention a number of thing here, and I admit that i did bring them up myself earlier but, to save space and time, I am going to limit myself (for now, at least) to the original subject of this thread, i.e. food. If you want to know my thoughts on the other things, just tell me and I'll PM you about it. I don't want to derail the thread into a discussion of the law in general.

Keep in mind that "unclean" animals were only prohibited from the Hebrew diet at the onset of the Law of Moses...when God first gave the animals to be eaten (which was after everyone got off the ark) all animals were OK to eat:

Genesis 9:3-4 "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood."

Yes, "clean" and "unclean" animals were taken on the ark, presumably for sacrifices...not for food...no one ate of any animal until after the flood, and when God gave the animals for food, He gave every animal, every moving thing that is alive for food. The Law of Moses forbade certain animals, but God gave them as food prior to the Law of Moses and there is liberty in eating them after the fulfillment of that Law.

I can guarantee you that Noah never ate pork. He only ate of the clean animals. That's why there were seven pair of each on the ark. They had to provide food for Noah and his family until the vegetation recovered and they had fruits, vegetables and grains again. Until then, they ate nothing but meat.

To be continued...

Continued from previous post...

Again, Jesus reiterated that it was not what went into a man's stomach that defiled, for what goes in, is digested and is eliminated.

If you read that in context, you will see that there is no mention of any unclean meats. That story is related twice in the Gospels, once in Matthew and once in Mark. Both agree that there was no pork involved.

Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. (Matt. 15:1-2 KJV)

Then came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem. And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault. (Mark 7:1-2 KJV)​

They were eating bread, something that is permissable according to the dietary rules. The Pharisees were not complaing about what they ate, but how. They had a rule, which is nowhere to be found in the Bible, that you had to wash your hands before eating. This had nothing to do with soap and water, though. It was (and still is, among orthodox Jews today) a ritual that had to be performed in a very specific way.

First you have to have a special cup with two handles. You fill it with water, but not just any water. It has to be ritually clean water. It had to be taken from a source of "living" or moving water. It couldn't be from a lake or well. They were not allowed to drink it, but only used it to perfom certain rituals such as hand washings. Pharisees had special jars of such water in their homes, and it is this water which Jesus turned into wine. If they had known where it came from the Pharisees would have been furious. Next, you pick up the cup with your right hand, and pour some water on your left hand. then you take the cup by the other handle with your left hand (the handles are angled, so you can always know which is the correct handle to begin with) and pour water on your right hand. You repeat this two more times, pouring water on each hand three times. Then you dry your hands. Of course, there is a blessing to be said before and after this ritual.

The pharisees believed that if you did not perform this ritual, then the food you ate became defiled when you touched it, regardless of whether it was clean according to the dietary rules. If you eat defiled food, then you become defiled yourself. This is what Jesus was addressing. He was saying that these Pharisaic rules were not binding, and that eating with "defiled" hands, according to the Pharisees, didn't defile anyone. He was not telling us it is OK to violate one of God's commandments. In fact, in another place, he said:

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 5:19 KJV)

Wouldn't the dietary rules count as "one of these least commandments"?

To be continued...

Continued from previous post...

And, although I doubt that anyone questioned which day the Sabbath was on, the idea that Gentiles had to observe the Sabbath was also dealt with:

Colossians 2:15-23 "When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.
Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as,"Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)--in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?
These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

I want you to notice two things about the section you qouted above. First, it seems that someone was judging the Collasian Christians because of their observance (or lack of observance, as the case may be, we shall soon see) of various "Jewish" (I prefer "biblical") traditions regarding diet, feast days and sabbaths.

The Collosians lived in a Pagan society. Christians, as well as non-Messianic Jews, were in the minority. Paul doesn't say which it was, because his readers would have known, but there are two possibilities here. Either the Collosian Christians were disobeying the biblical commands regarding dietary rules, sabbaths, feasts, etc. and were being judged by the Jews (a small minority of the people), or they were obeying those commandments and keeping the Sabbath, the dietary rules, etc. and were being judged by the Pagan society they lived in. Which is more likely? Well, which would be more likely today? Are you more likely to be "judged" by others if you go along with whatever society finds acceptable at any given time, or is it more likely that people will say something if you go against the grain of society by pointing out it's faults? I believe that they were obeying the Bibles commandments and were, therefore "different" than the rest of society, and were being condemned by their Pagan friends for not being like everyone else.

Secondly, it says that they had died to the "elementary principals of the world", but were again being subject to those principals. In other words, these principals - not handling, touching or tasting - were something they had lived under before becoming Christians. But that coudn't have been the OT law, since they were Pagans and didn't live according to God's law before they were saved. Their religion had different laws, and they died to those laws of the gods they formerly believed in. Now, however, they were beginning to follow those old Pagan laws and traditions again, as a result of the pressure from their Pagan society which was judging them for being different.

Food and "days" were also discussed with the Roman church as well

This isn't talking about clean or unclean meats, but about meat sacrificed to idols. Even though this isn't explicitly stated, you can tell that that's what's being discussed by the mention of vegetarianism. There is no rule in Judaism, and never has been, that prohibits eating any meat at all. The reason that some people stopped eating meat all together was that most of the meat available in the marketplace had been sacrificed to idols. Since it wasn't labeled, some people chose rather to become vegetarians, rather than risk eating defiled meat.

So, sorry Theo, I have to disagree with your premise that these issues are not addressed.

Like I said, I'll stick to the subject of food for now. This is long enough as it is, and I don't want to make it so long that nobody will read it. I believe I have shown that none of the verses you quoted actually address the issue of the OT dietary rules. They are about meat sacrificed to idols, Pharisaic rituals and Pagan rules and traditions, not about God's law.

What to eat and when to worship were indeed addressed and fall into the same category as circumcision...not mandated, but not forbidden.

You are right in saying that these things are in the same category, but I'm afraid we don't agree on what category that is. There is some confusion as to what the issue of circumcision was really about. It wasn't about the biblical commandment to circumcise our children, but rather a euphemism for converting to Judaism. If you want to join a Christian church, you will have to go through a process, which will vary from one denomination to another, as well as from one congregation to another. This process may include talking to the pastor, taking a short course in the church's basic beliefs and other things, and will usually end with baptism. In Icelandic, we say that someone is baptised into a church, mentioning only the last step of the process to refer to the whole that is necessary to become a member. What is talked about in the Bible is similar. It is using circumcision to refer to the process of conversion. This process includes learning Hebrew and how to interpret the law, and can take years to complete. Paul tells us that we do not have to convert to Judaism to be saved, but he does not tell us to stop circumcising our male children. Likewise, keeping the Sabbath, the dietary rules, etc. isn't necessary to be saved, but that doesn't mean that God doesn't expect us to obey him in these areas as well as others. God told us not to eat certain foods. Even though we may not understand why, the fact that He told us to should be enough for us to obey Him.

However, if one chooses to be circumcised, or to observe the Sabbath or to eat only clean meats...it need be from consciences' sake, and not from the idea that it is necessary for our salvation. To make these issues salvation issues would mean that one is putting oneself back under the Law, and there is no salvation in that at all.

This is a problem I keep running into, not only here, but in real life as well. If asked, most people will say the same as you, that we are free to do these things, but it is not an issue of salvation. But when I tell people that I do, indeed do these things, they assume that it's because I'm trying to earn my salvation, no matter how many times I tell them that I'm not. Nobody says I'm trying to earn my salvation if I say I believe that the commandments against murder, adultery, homosexuality or a host of other things are still valid. Those are a matter of obedience to God's word. Why can't the same be true of the dietary rules? Well, I decided to find out for myself a few years ago. I read the Books of Moses and wrote down every commandment I saw. Then I classified them and took out duplicates, as well as commandments that were not intended for the common people, but only priests, Levites or some other group. Then I sorted the rest into two groups - commandments that most Christians keep (or at lest say they keep) and those that most Christians don't keep. Then I was going to go through the ones we usually don't keep and see what the New Testament had to say about them. But, before I did that, I noticed something that made it unnecessary. I realized, just from looking at the list, what the reason was that we don't keep those commandments. Everybody, includign Pagans and Atheists agrees that it's wrong to kill, steal and commit adultery, just to name a few. In fact, all of society, including non-Christians, keeps most of the commandments in the Old Testament, and those are the same commandments that we Christians keep. The ones we don't keep are the ones that would make us different from the rest of society. The only real exception to that rule is the command to believe in God. The sad fact is that we allow society to dictate our behavior more than God's commandments.

The end (for now)

Theo, as usual, your posts have much food for thought. I won't be able to read and study all you've posted tonight and tomorrow I'll be gone most of the day...but I find that Friday should be a "day off" around here and will try to get back to your points then. I will say, I had never considered, nor heard preached the idea that Paul was referring to worldly, societal pressures in these passages...an intriguing thought!

This thread will now be reopened. Various posts were deleted for violating the ToS.

4 - No Trolling:

You will not post anything that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Don't make inflammatory remarks just to get a response. This will also include posts that put down Christianity in general or any posts considered as blasphemy by staff (this is a CHRISTIAN FORUMS site).

Included is the multiple submission of posts and topics. Please do not flood the site with one copy/paste post after another. (see #9 for more details)

5 - Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities.

6 - No Bashing of other members. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

7 - Any personal problems with another member, then deal with it through private messages.

Back