Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] The Evolution of Human Beings

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
This is perhaps the most contentious issue when it comes to Evolution vs Creationism, the idea that Human Beings (Homo Sapiens) came from other apes, and that we are indeed primates.

Much of this notion relies off of a literal interpretation of Genesis, which we disagree on of course (for more read: http://biologos.org/questions/scientific-and-scriptural-truth ) Though this strikes at a theme consistent throughout Scripture, namely the image of God which I will speak briefly on.

The Image of God is conceived by some to God literally fashioning human beings in his own physical likeness. This is actually a bad theological idea, and has more to do with Mormonism than historical Christianity.

"He is our Father in Heaven. We are created in His image (Genesis 1:27). He has a body that looks like ours, but God’s body is immortal, perfected, and has a glory that words can’t describe."
Source: http://www.mormon.org/faq/nature-of-god

Yet Scripture reveals that God is spirit and is invisible and no one has seen him (John 4:24, 1 Timorhy 1:17).

How then are we to understand the Image of God? I personally agree with the scholar N.T. Wright's assessment.

"As such, the “image of God” is not something about us—instead, it is what we do and how we do it. That is, how we reflect God into the world—aptly described by Paul in Colossians 3:9-10: “Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator” (ESV)."
Source: http://biologos.org/blog/nt-wright-on-what-it-means-to-be-an-image-bearer

As to the overall purpose of this thread, we will discuss the evidence for the evolution of humanity, and this will be done primarily through answering questions that anyone has.

Why do you view the way some people view God as a bad thing?
This is a rather vague question. What is the way that "some people view God," and where have I expressed this as a "bad thing."

Are you talking about the comments about people saying that we are physically created in the image of God? If so, I already addressed that in my OP, it is because God is spirit and is invisible, he does not reside in the material realm.

This is a rather vague question. What is the way that "some people view God," and where have I expressed this as a "bad thing."

Are you talking about the comments about people saying that we are physically created in the image of God? If so, I already addressed that in my OP, it is because God is spirit and is invisible, he does not reside in the material realm.

So what is the problem if He is viewed in the form of a human?

As to the overall purpose of this thread, we will discuss the evidence for the evolution of humanity, and this will be done primarily through answering questions that anyone has.

The staff is not obligated to enforce rules/regulations created by a member nor are the members obligated to abide by additional rules outside those specified within the Terms of Service.

ToS revised Nov, 22, 2014

Members will not be obligated to abide by any other rules other than those specified by the ToS of this site. As long as they post within those rules they have the privilege to post as they wish.

Has science/evolutionists ever purposely mislead the public regarding human evolution?

Okay, there is the green slime that comes up out of the ocean and there's monkey man.
Do people actually believe that stuff?

And outside of our modern scientific brains, what is there in Genesis that would cause us to believe that God created man any other way then the way the Bible says he did it?

Gary
While the question can remain please be aware that attacking evolutionists as a group or individually as a member carries the same weight as far as rules are concerned. Opinions posted of any group will be considered the same as posting opinions of other members.

Opinion of a group or member is not evidence to plead one's case.

The back and forth bashing between evolutionists and creationists is going to stop. It's really come to a head lately.

I'm quite sure the answer to your question will be a "no". If such is the case then that's as far as it should go.

Gary

Opinion of a group or member is not evidence to plead one's case.

I'm not giving opinions. I'm presenting irrefutable documentation for the support of Creation.

The back and forth bashing between evolutionists and creationists is going to stop. It's really come to a head lately.

I don't see any bashing taking place in the threads I'm involved in. I see frustration, but that's to be expected.

Well, I didn't say you were doing anything wrong. But in view of the way it had been going previously I'm going to take every opportunity to remind those in here to keep things from going the way they had been.
I mean to have some semblance of peace in this forum.

While I am a creationist, I don't take the image of god to be that He literally has arms and legs.IN jewish thought that image is the attributes of god that is the nature of love and mercy and also the fact that we have spirit being and earthly body. Jews, but not me. believe the Elohim with the plural of us God and angels with the earth making men. While I do believe that we do have the nature of the earth since God spoke us from the earth and formed us from it and breathed life into us, he did so without having literal hands. I could go into the myraids of imagery where jesus is seen as a lamb in heaven.

Just from a logical point of view, it's difficult to see what an omnipotent being would have a body that limited sight to one direction, or required moving limbs in order to move about. Creationists, prior to the 20th century, were not locked into the idea of God as a physical being.

Okay, there is the green slime that comes up out of the ocean and there's monkey man.
Do people actually believe that stuff?
Can you perhaps elaborate a bit on this? We believe that modern monkeys share a common ancestor that dates back to somewhere between 5-7 million years ago, we don't come from Chimps. We are primates though.

Would you like to know how we know this?

And outside of our modern scientific brains, what is there in Genesis that would cause us to believe that God created man any other way then the way the Bible says he did it?
Because a rib is a tiny piece of organic matter that doesn't constitute a person.

Can you perhaps elaborate a bit on this? We believe that modern monkeys share a common ancestor that dates back to somewhere between 5-7 million years ago, we don't come from Chimps. We are primates though.

Would you like to know how we know this?

Because a rib is a tiny piece of organic matter that doesn't constitute a person.
Since you actually think you have proof, then yes, I would like to know this.
And as far as ribs go, I believe God knows how to do what he says he does.

Back