Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Few vs The Many

Digger

Which are you?

The Few
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The Many
Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat;

The Few
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

The Many
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

The Few
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

The Many
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Few.
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 6:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 6:8[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 6:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 6:8[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption;[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Jn 2:3[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] And hereby we do know that [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]we know him, if we keep his commandments. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Jn 2:4[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Jn 1:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Jn 1:6[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] If we say that we have fellowship with him, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Mat 6:22[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]The light of the body is the eye: i[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]f therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.[/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Mat 6:23[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]But [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]is[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]that darkness![/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:16[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]This[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] I say then, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Eph 2:3[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Among whom also we all [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]had our conversation in times past[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Ti 4:3[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For the time will come when [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]they will not endure sound doctrine; but [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]after their own lusts[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Eph 2:3[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath,[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] even as others. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:6[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]him,[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For he that is dead is [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]freed from sin. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Joh 8:34[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Jesus answered them, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]servant of sin.[/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:16[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]his servants ye are to whom ye obey;[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] whether of sin unto death, or of [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]obedience unto righteousness? [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:17[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But God be thanked, that [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]ye were the servants of sin,[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:18[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Being then [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:16[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]his servants ye are to whom ye obey; [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]whether of [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]sin unto death,[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] or of obedience unto righteousness? [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 2:14[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Having eyes full of adultery, and that [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]cannot cease from sin;[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children: [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Co 6:9[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Co 6:10[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Co 6:11[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Co 6:9[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Know ye not that [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Co 6:10[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:22[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:23[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Meekness, temperance:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] against such there is no law. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:24[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:25[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:19[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Now [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]these;[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:20[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] I[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]dolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Gal 5:21[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings,[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]you[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] in time past, that [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 22:12[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]is[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 22:14[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Blessed [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]are[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] they [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]that do his commandments, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 22:12[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]is[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 22:15[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For without [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]are[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 21:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]He that overcometh shall inherit all things;[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.[/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 21:8[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]But [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] and brimstone: which is the second death.[/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 22:11[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rev 22:11[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Jn 3:6[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Jn 3:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Little children, let no man deceive you: [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1Jn 3:8[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]He that committeth sin is of the devil;[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:17[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But God be thanked, that [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]ye were the servants of sin,[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 6:18[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Being then[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] made free from sin, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]ye became the servants of righteousness. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 7:14[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For we know that the law is spiritual: but [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]I am carnal, sold under sin. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:2[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]made me free from the law of sin and death. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:3[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:4[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] That [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] not after the flesh, but [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]after the Spirit. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 7:23[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But I see another [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 7:24[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] O [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]wretched man that I am![/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] who shall deliver me from the body of this death? [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 7:25[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]the flesh the law of sin. [/FONT]

The Few
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:11[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:12[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:13[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:14[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. [/FONT]

The Many
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] Because [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]the carnal mind [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]is[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] enmity against God:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:8[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] So then [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]they that are in the flesh cannot please God. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rom 8:13[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Joh 8:44[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Ye are of[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]your[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.[/FONT]

†. Mtt 22:14 . . For many are called, but few are chosen.

Webster's defines "many" as consisting of, or amounting to, a large but indefinite number; while "few" is defined as consisting of, or amounting to, only a small number; viz: not many; i.e. some, but indeterminately small in number

According to Webster's then; few indicates a small percentage, and many indicates a large percentage; in other words: many = the majority. Bear with me while I flesh this out.

According to the US Census Bureau: as of March 04, 2012 @ 09:11 am New York time, the resident population in the United States was approximately 313,124,202 with a death rate of approximately one every 12 seconds; which amounts to an average of 7,200 American deaths of all ages, races, and genders during just one 24-hour calendar day.

According to 2009 US Census data; roughly 27.3% of America's daily deaths are under the age of 19, which would indicate that approximately 5,234 of the current daily death rate of 7,200 per 24 hours are old enough for hell. Giving the "many" the benefit of the doubt by setting their maximum percentage at 51%, would indicate a minimum of 2,669 American adults transferring to perdition every day: which translates to roughly 111 per hour.

That's a very conservative estimate as the Lord didn't really specify exact percentages to represent the quantities of "few" and "many". But just think: if the traditional hell is a real place; then by the time CBS completes its half-hour evening news report, a bare-bones minimum of 55 Americans pass through its gates.

Using the ratio of 2,669 condemned souls per 313,124,202 population: computing the number of condemned souls worldwide from a currently estimated global population of 6,998,323,069 people, would suggest something like 59,652 new arrivals in perdition every 24 hours; which translates to 2,485 souls every sixty minutes on the clock.

Those numbers would fill the 51,800 seats of the new Yankee Stadium to capacity in roughly 20 hours and 51 minutes. In other words: if those 59,652 world souls started filing into the stadium at 6:00 am this morning; then by 2:51 am tomorrow, the stadium would be full.

The 24-hour numbers suggest that 18,074,556 people of the world will have checked into hell's penal colony by the time New Year's Day 2013 rolls around 303 days from today.

Clearly then; souls never stop cascading into the dungeons of hell 27-7 in an endless stream like candy kisses on a Hershey's conveyor belt.

Cliff
/

But hell is just death. If you are alive then you are old enough to die. The mainstream concept of hell does not exist yet, but will after rapture. Till then we simply rot and decompose.

But I do like the numbers and reasoning of those who die. Sounds morbid, but I trust you understand me.

You sure? Wouldn't the rich man in Luke 16 tell us differently?

Luke 16 is a parable, one should not base doctrine on parables. Why?

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?â€
11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.
12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.
13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.
14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says: ‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand, And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should[a] heal them.’ - NKJV

Luke 16:14, Christ's audience here were the Pharisees and He never spoke plainly to them...

Mat 13:34 All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them,

The real meaning of Luke 16 is explained in Mat 8:11-12 and Luke 13:28-30

Keep in mind that only 2 billion of the world's 7 billion people are Christian, that already marks more than 70% of the population for damnation. Add false Christians and Christians who only give lip service and the number who pass into Heaven is small indeed.

Sigh. Respectfully, how do you get out of all of that great scripture, that it is all about it being our choice?
Jesus said clearly and made it a point to say clearly, that few even find the path.

Deu_30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Jos_24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Isa_1:19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:

Luk_13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

2Pe_3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

=Digger;620237]Deu_30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
The wise will choose wisely, the unwise will choose foolishly, and wisdom comes from God unto His glory. By grace through faith.

Galatians 3:12

King James Version (KJV)

12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Galatians 3:21

King James Version (KJV)

21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Romans 7:5-6

King James Version (KJV)

5For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. 6But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Jos_24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Joshua 24:19

King James Version (KJV)

19And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.

Isa_1:19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:

Romans 9:15-16

King James Version (KJV)

15For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Luk_13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

Romans 11:30-32

King James Version (KJV)

30For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
31Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. 32For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Galatians 4:25-26

King James Version (KJV)

25For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 26But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

2Pe_3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Romans 4:13

King James Version (KJV)

13For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
Romans 9:19-21

King James Version (KJV)

19Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? 21Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Romans 10:6-7

King James Version (KJV)

6But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above 7Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

Matthew 11:25

King James Version (KJV)

25At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

1 Corinthians 2:7-8

King James Version (KJV)

7But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 8Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

The wise will choose wisely, the unwise will choose foolishly, and wisdom comes from God unto His glory. By grace through faith.

Many people today wait on God to change their desires because they have bought into the ear tickling dogma that they do not have to do anything. They are just a work in progress and God has not finished with them but it will all work our in the end. Such a belief puts people into a comatose state where they "choose" not to be diligent, not to strive, not to dig deep, not to deny themselves and pick up their cross, for if they did these things then they would be trying to save themselves and such action would be infringing on the sovereignty of God.

Yes we are saved by grace through faith, faith being the the substance and evidence (active working principle), whereby we put the grace of God to use. The grace of God has appeared to all men and God is calling all to repentance.

Here is one of the Scriptures you quoted in reply in its full context.

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Jos 24:16 And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods;
Jos 24:17 For the LORD our God, he it is that brought us up and our fathers out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and which did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way wherein we went, and among all the people through whom we passed:
Jos 24:18 And the LORD drave out from before us all the people, even the Amorites which dwelt in the land: therefore will we also serve the LORD; for he is our God.
Jos 24:19 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.
Jos 24:20 If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then he will turn and do you hurt, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.
Jos 24:21 And the people said unto Joshua, Nay; but we will serve the LORD.
Jos 24:22 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye are witnesses against yourselves that ye have chosen you the LORD, to serve him. And they said, We are witnesses.
Jos 24:23 Now therefore put away, said he, the strange gods which are among you, and incline your heart unto the LORD God of Israel.
Jos 24:24 And the people said unto Joshua, The LORD our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey.
Jos 24:25 So Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and set them a statute and an ordinance in Shechem.
Jos 24:26 And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God, and took a great stone, and set it up there under an oak, that was by the sanctuary of the LORD.
Jos 24:27 And Joshua said unto all the people, Behold, this stone shall be a witness unto us; for it hath heard all the words of the LORD which he spake unto us: it shall be therefore a witness unto you, lest ye deny your God.

It is no different today. You must be a doer of the word. God will not be a doer for you. God provides what we need but we have to put it to use through a genuine faith. The outcome is salvation.

Many people today wait on God to change their desires because they have bought into the ear tickling dogma that they do not have to do anything. They are just a work in progress and God has not finished with them but it will all work our in the end. Such a belief puts people into a comatose state where they "choose" not to be diligent, not to strive, not to dig deep, not to deny themselves and pick up their cross, for if they did these things then they would be trying to save themselves and such action would be infringing on the sovereignty of God.

Yes we are saved by grace through faith, faith being the the substance and evidence (active working principle), whereby we put the grace of God to use. The grace of God has appeared to all men and God is calling all to repentance.

Here is one of the Scriptures you quoted in reply in its full context.

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Jos 24:16 And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods;
Jos 24:17 For the LORD our God, he it is that brought us up and our fathers out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and which did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way wherein we went, and among all the people through whom we passed:
Jos 24:18 And the LORD drave out from before us all the people, even the Amorites which dwelt in the land: therefore will we also serve the LORD; for he is our God.
Jos 24:19 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.
Jos 24:20 If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then he will turn and do you hurt, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.
Jos 24:21 And the people said unto Joshua, Nay; but we will serve the LORD.
Jos 24:22 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye are witnesses against yourselves that ye have chosen you the LORD, to serve him. And they said, We are witnesses.
Jos 24:23 Now therefore put away, said he, the strange gods which are among you, and incline your heart unto the LORD God of Israel.
Jos 24:24 And the people said unto Joshua, The LORD our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey.
Jos 24:25 So Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and set them a statute and an ordinance in Shechem.
Jos 24:26 And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God, and took a great stone, and set it up there under an oak, that was by the sanctuary of the LORD.
Jos 24:27 And Joshua said unto all the people, Behold, this stone shall be a witness unto us; for it hath heard all the words of the LORD which he spake unto us: it shall be therefore a witness unto you, lest ye deny your God.

It is no different today. You must be a doer of the word. God will not be a doer for you. God provides what we need but we have to put it to use through a genuine faith. The outcome is salvation.
Respectfully digger. We know that Israel did not keep that Covenant since they went back to worshipping Idols and Hence God allowed them to be conquered. So Joshua's forewarning came to pass and that is why I gave you that scripture. Many people because of not understanding that scripture assume we have a choice. But that is ignorance, since those who know the Truth, know there is only One God. Those who do not know that about Him, by default are only able to worship idols.

People like myself witness that it is through God's Spirit that people become doers of the Word. There is no way around that, because God's Word is Spirit. Hence scriptures say there are people who do God's Word without ever reading the scriptures. For you to assert that those who preach such dogma are teaching people to sit on their hands is somewhat unfair.

Let me show you why I cringe when people say it is all about choice. Let's say God gave me great wisdom. And I gloried in that wisdom over others and began to feel I was better than others, when in fact God had simply been gracious towards me. Such wisdom without a pure heart only puffed me up in blindness to a vanity. My moral judgment being askewed, I even despised those who were not as wise as me, and I chose actions that followed after the spirit of my disability. I became a self-righteous hypocrite. For all my wisdom, I became a fool.

So God is destroying such vanity that is based on this type of worldly wisdom that does not even esteem God, so that He alone is glorified. If you don't understand this, you cannot understand scripture. This teaching of freewill wherein men use it to reason that they are in control by their own sovereignty, and hence hand out credit and blame accordingly, and glory in themselves while giving lip service to God, is vanity.

1 Corinthians 1:20-31

King James Version (KJV)

20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

This discussion has nothing to do with feeling superior or better than others. It has everything to do that we have an actual choice of whether to obey God or not.

God does not make us obey. We are not robots. We are not pawns waiting for the master to move us.

Yes the power comes from God but we have the choice whether we are going to yield or not.

Remember the condemnation is that light came into the world yet men preferred the darkness because they loves their sin. God did not force them to love their sin, that was what they freely chose. Likewise God does not force people to come to Him, he stretches forth His hand and the people can make their choice.

Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

The dangerous result of your teaching is that it lulls into people waiting on God to change them. God already is already calling to whomsoever will.

=Digger;621102]This discussion has nothing to do with feeling superior or better than others. It has everything to do that we have an actual choice of whether to obey God or not.
Since God does not want us to think we are better than others because we try harder, it is indeed about obedience. Hence He is made strong in our weakness. I did not choose to have any such wisdom or divine Love. I am glorifying God in obedience to the Truth. Why would anybody find fault with that?
God does not make us obey. We are not robots. We are not pawns waiting for the master to move us.
That is an arguable point since it is the goodness of God that draws a man to repentance and the holy Spirit that orchetrates the Body of Christ. Christ the head, tells the finger when to move and wht to do. That argument however is rather lost in semantics. since some are the pawns of Satan. I will say that Jesus taught that all who come to him were taught by God. And those who didn't hadn't heard from Him nor did they have His Word abiding in their hearts. You say we are not robots. That is an unfair comparison. For it is undeniable that we are all sinners and have been servants unto sin. One need not be a robot to not be free. Paul said it well when he said this.
Romans 7:20

New International Version (NIV)

20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Yes the power comes from God but we have the choice whether we are going to yield or not.

Remember the condemnation is that light came into the world yet men preferred the darkness because they loves their sin. God did not force them to love their sin, that was what they freely chose. Likewise God does not force people to come to Him, he stretches forth His hand and the people can make their choice.

Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Respectfully, your interpretation of these scriptures is not accurate. The scripture is saying men did not want to come into the light and admit they were sinners and slaves to sin. Essentially you are saying that men who want to be sinners, hide from the light. Yet it was the pharisees, who despised sinners in self-righteous hypocrisy, who were the ones that refused to come into the light and rejected the Christ. While the sinners were the one's that came unto Jesus with a contrite heart.

The dangerous result of your teaching is that it lulls into people waiting on God to change them. God already is already calling to whomsoever will.
I'm just preaching the Gospel Truth. While I agree we joyously labor as servants unto God, it is by His promnise to Abraham that we have been brought forth into being. What you essentially seem to be saying is that we have to make God's promise to Abraham come true. Let us take a look at this scripture:

Matthew 5:6
New International Version (NIV)

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Now this scripture cannot be applied to a choice since these who hunger and thirst for righteousness know they cannot be righteous. So they know that sin is not a choice, but a torment of depravity. It is the Old Testament wherein a choice to sin or not held them in bondage through the fear of death. This is where a man tries to make himself righteous and make God's promise of life come true, by their own will. Hence Paul says, "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God."

Now let's look at this scripture,
Galatians 4:22-24
King James Version (KJV)

22For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
23But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 24Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

This scripture shows the Old Covenant is the same as Abraham trying to make God's promise come true, hence they are born after the flesh and are in bondage. These in bondage are trying to will themselves unto righteousness.
But the one's born of promise did nothing to obtain righteousness, so that it may be of God by grace. Wherein Paul says,
Romans 9:30-31
King James Version (KJV)

30What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. 31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

So I hope you see, I'm just preaching the Gospel Truth. The reason there are any that become children of God at all is because God made a promise to Abraham.

Thank you for your sincere discourse. I have enjoyed it immensely.

John 8:32---How do you KNOW Luke 16 is a parable? Prove it.

My Pleasure...

Luke 15:1 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

2And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. 3And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

Now this continues into and through chapter 16. Now let's add this to it...

Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Mat 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

Now, hopefully the logic is not too complicated for you. He spoke in parables to the multitudes which included the Pharisees, Scribes and ordinary citizens and only spoke plainly to the disciples. So, yes, Luke 16 is a parable.

He spoke in parables to the multitudes which included the Pharisees, Scribes and ordinary citizens and only spoke plainly to the disciples. So, yes, Luke 16 is a parable.
The statement below was spoken to the Pharisees just two verses prior to Luke 16:19-31.

†. Luke 16:17 . . It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

If that's symbolic rather than literal; then what's the interpretation?

This next statement was spoken to Pharisees just one verse prior to Luke 16:19-31.

†. Luke 16:18 . . Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

If that's symbolic rather than literal; then what's the interpretation?

Stop and think about the Lord's parables for just a moment— the ones that are unmistakably parables. Can you think of even one of them that couldn't possibly be an incident taken from real life? No; they all, every one of them are 100% realistic; plus they all share one very, very common denominator: none of them reveal names.

Do you really think that Luke 16:19-31 would be the one and only exception to the rule? No; that would just be too inconsistent. Even if Luke 16:19-31 were a parable, it would seriously break ranks with all the others were it unrealistic; and especially by revealing names: and that is why I am positive it cannot possibly be a parable for if it were, it would leave the reader with a false impression about the real-life people named in it. No, I am confident that if Abraham and Lazarus weren't in the netherworld at the time of the story, then the Lord wouldn't have said they were because a man who labels himself "the truth" is too honest a man to lie about something like that.

You ever wonder where Jesus got the material for his parables? Well; that's not too hard to figure out.

†. John 8:29 . . He who sent me is with me. The Father has not left me alone

†. John 12:49. . For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it.

†. John 14:24 . .The word which you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.

At Mtt 10:19, the Lord instructed his disciples not to be concerned about what to say as it would be given to them when they needed it. Well, don't you think God's Spirit did exactly the same thing for Christ?

†. John 3:34 . . He speaks God's words, for God's Spirit is upon him without measure or limit.

The Bible's God has been keeping records ever since the first day of creation. He has a vast archive of human experiences at his disposal. Take for example the woman and the leaven at Mtt 13:33. Is that scene unrealistic? No, it was no doubt a very common occurrence in the Israel of the Lord's day; and actually still is even today in many kitchens all around the world. Or how about the parable of the sower? Is that unrealistic? No, again, a very common occurrance. All of the Lord's parables are like that: 100% realistic. It's almost humorous to even suggest that God is so desperate for material that He has to make up fables as He goes along.

You know, suggesting that the Almighty is a tale-spinner insinuates that the Lord's father is a God of questionable integrity who can't be trusted to tell the truth about people.

Cliff
/

Back