Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The First Communion

When was the first communion celebrated?

• Emmaus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I don't mind some derail,,,but this would REALLY take it off-track.
I've heard this before ... the 15th of Nissan, or something like that.
Start the thread! I'll be checking it out.

You could still answer, however.
Was the first communion at the Last Supper? (whenever that was).
What we refer to as communion was instituted at the Last Supper as part of the Passover Seder. In doing so, Jesus incorporated Passover (or at least a part of it) into New Testament Christianity. Passover was a complete meal, but "Communion" is not necessarily a full meal. It is just the bread and wine. That makes the "first communion" the event with Jesus at the "Last Supper".

Later when Paul criticizes the Corinthians concerning communion, he makes a distinction between the meal, and the remembrance. Notice that Paul says that a meal is to be eaten at home, but when we come together to celebrate Jesus' death, we are not to eat a full meal, or to get drunk on the wine, but to be reverent and considerate.

Another note, is that Paul repeats what Jesus said, "... as often as to eat ... and drink ...". I believe that this gives leave to celebrate communion as often as we choose (weekly, or even daily if we want, but I also believe that it should be done at least annually as Passover was). I also believe that the example of the Corinthians of celebrating communion frequently, probably weekly, is an example that we can follow today, as long as we keep in mind Paul's admonition to remain reverent and "in the Spirit".

So I do not believe that the event in the disciple's house shortly after Jesus rose from the dead was a "communion". The Jews always blessed their food (as most of us do) before they ate so that is not necessarily a significant part of the event. But the event could have been considered communion if (and the Scripture does not give this detail) they were doing it in remembrance of Christ.

I hope this helps.

What we refer to as communion was instituted at the Last Supper as part of the Passover Seder. In doing so, Jesus incorporated Passover (or at least a part of it) into New Testament Christianity. Passover was a complete meal, but "Communion" is not necessarily a full meal. It is just the bread and wine. That makes the "first communion" the event with Jesus at the "Last Supper".

Later when Paul criticizes the Corinthians concerning communion, he makes a distinction between the meal, and the remembrance. Notice that Paul says that a meal is to be eaten at home, but when we come together to celebrate Jesus' death, we are not to eat a full meal, or to get drunk on the wine, but to be reverent and considerate.

Another note, is that Paul repeats what Jesus said, "... as often as to eat ... and drink ...". I believe that this gives leave to celebrate communion as often as we choose (weekly, or even daily if we want, but I also believe that it should be done at least annually as Passover was). I also believe that the example of the Corinthians of celebrating communion frequently, probably weekly, is an example that we can follow today, as long as we keep in mind Paul's admonition to remain reverent and "in the Spirit".

So I do not believe that the event in the disciple's house shortly after Jesus rose from the dead was a "communion". The Jews always blessed their food (as most of us do) before they ate so that is not necessarily a significant part of the event. But the event could have been considered communion if (and the Scripture does not give this detail) they were doing it in remembrance of Christ.

I hope this helps.
I find the last paragraph very helpful since it has information I didn't know --- the blessing of food by the Jews.

Agreed on communion being taken often...one denomination I attended had communion once a month,
and another one had it every day (Catholic), although most Catholics go to Mass only once a week - and not even that anymore.

As to the Corinthians I've always understood that Paul admonished them because the meal was getting out of hand and it was not reverend and considerate, as you've put it. So they celebrants were not to arrive hungry or thirsty for wine. IOW, it was not a party.
Some understand this admonishing to be of the effect that we are be worthy of receiving communion - personally, I understand it the way you do. (although we are certainly also to be worthy, as Jesus said).

I'm becoming convinced that the first communion was at the Last Supper.
Thanks for a good post.

I find the last paragraph very helpful since it has information I didn't know --- the blessing of food by the Jews.

Agreed on communion being taken often...one denomination I attended had communion once a month,
and another one had it every day (Catholic), although most Catholics go to Mass only once a week - and not even that anymore.

As to the Corinthians I've always understood that Paul admonished them because the meal was getting out of hand and it was not reverend and considerate, as you've put it. So they celebrants were not to arrive hungry or thirsty for wine. IOW, it was not a party.
Some understand this admonishing to be of the effect that we are be worthy of receiving communion - personally, I understand it the way you do. (although we are certainly also to be worthy, as Jesus said).

I'm becoming convinced that the first communion was at the Last Supper.
Thanks for a good post.
Thank you.

You are correct about needing to be worthy when we come to the table. That is explicitly mentioned in verse 29 of 1 Corinthians 11. But the rest of the passage, I think, criticizes their party atmosphere, and some getting drunk while others go without.

We used to have "pot-luck" dinners a lot among the Church when I was growing up (8 to 13ish). This occurred outside of the "worship service", and was completely separate from communion (of which we partook every week). There were many families in the Church who were not able to bring food, but they were always invited to join in, and there was never any "looking-down" at them for their lack. Other families who were more able, brought more, but never ate more than was appropriate. I believe that Church had the appropriate application of "breaking bread" (eating a meal together) and communion (the Lord's Supper).

Back