Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The LAW of Moses/ The LAW of God

herald

Ceremonial law:

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Ephesians 2:15.
2. Was spoken by Moses. Leviticus 1:1-3.
3. Was written by Moses in a book. 11 Chronicles 35:12.
4. Was placed in the side of the ark. Deuteronomy 31:24-26.
5. Was nailed to the cross. Colossians 2:14.
6. Was abolished by Christ. Ephesians 2:15.

10 Commandments:

1. Is called, the "royal law." James 2:8.
2. Was spoken by God. Deuteronomy 4:12,13.
3. Was written with the finger of God. Exodus 31:18.
4. Was place inside the ark. Exodus 40:20; Hebrews 9:4.
5. Is to "stand forever and ever." Psalms 111:7,8.
6. Was not destroyed by Christ. Matthew 5:17,18.

The ceremonial law was temporary, the Ten Commandments, were written by God, reveal His character (in contrast to ours), and are eternal. It isn't possible, for any man or institution to over-rule and change God's law.

In Genesis we read, "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day, God ended his work, which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it..." Genesis 2:1-3a.

The fourth commandment reads, "Remember the Sabbath day, to leep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God...For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in the is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11,

We have been told, that, the New Testament christians changed the Sabbath to Sunday, the first day of the week, in honor of our Lord's resurrection. That is impossible - what man or institution has the authority to over-rule and change God's "royal law"? No one.

The sabbaths of the ceremonial law are optional, the fourth commandment is not.

Jesus said, "If ye love me keep my commandments." John 14:15. "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." John 15:10.

Some have been confused by Jesus' command - "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Also, see Deuteronomy 6:5; 30:6,10.) If we keep the first four of the Ten Commandments, we will fulfill His command. He continued, "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." If we keep the last six of the Ten Commandments, we will fulfill this one, also. "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:37-40.

In the book of Revelation, we hear the angel "saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of water." Revelation 14:7. The wording here is very similar to that of the fourth commandment, which honors our Creator. Some might say, "It's just a day," but, in The Garden, it was just a tree...and look what happened! Beginning at Creation, all the way throught the book of Revelation, the issue has, always, been about worship and obedience out of a loving heart.

John said, "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4. These are strong words, but God's Word, nonetheless. The Ten Commandments are the standard by which our lives are measured. Under the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34), once again, the finger of God writes His laws upon the fleshly tablets of our heart, and enables us by His Holy Spirit, to love, worship and obey Him.

Good luck, herald. The tradition of the 'Sunday Sabbath' is deeply rooted.

herald said:
It isn't possible, for any man or institution to over-rule and change God's law.

However , One Man, Jesus Christ, did fulfill the Law, thus setting all who believe in Him free from the Law.

PHIL121 said:
herald said:
It isn't possible, for any man or institution to over-rule and change God's law.

However , One Man, Jesus Christ, did fulfill the Law, thus setting all who believe in Him free from the Law.

Sputnik: So that sin may abound? God forbid! Do those of you who constantly insist that the Law is not applicable to those who believe in Christ actually go out of your way NOT to keep the Law ...just in case you're accused of legalism? And, if you don't go out of your way NOT to keep the Law, then you believe in upholding the Law. Right? So why the argument?

When Jesus said that He had not come to abolish the Law, followed by his saying that He had fulfilled the Law, then surely we need to look at this in context. 'Fulfill' in this instance is 'to satisfy', or 'to execute', as derived from the Greek 'pleroo'. Jesus had remained sinless all of His life. He had satisfied the intent of the Law ...not the letter. He believed in the commandments of His Father. There was no way that Jesus was now going to instruct us to 'break' those commandments. Why on earth would He suggest such a thing?

As a matter of interest, PHIL ...which specific Laws of God do you need to be free from? Blanket statements abound from Christians on this forum. I like to get more specific.

[quote="SputnikBoy]
As a matter of interest, PHIL ...which specific Laws of God do you need to be free from? Blanket statements abound from Christians on this forum. I like to get more specific.[/color][/quote]

Oh pleeeze....who are you trying to impress with your red lettering?? :roll:

Jesus set all Beleivers free from the Law because we are no longer judged according to the law, but through FAITH in Jesus Christ.

PHIL121 said:
[quote="SputnikBoy]
As a matter of interest, PHIL ...which specific Laws of God do you need to be free from? Blanket statements abound from Christians on this forum. I like to get more specific.[/color]

Oh pleeeze....who are you trying to impress with your red lettering?? :roll:

Sputnik: What red lettering? :wink:

PHIL121: Jesus set all Beleivers free from the Law because we are no longer judged according to the law, but through FAITH in Jesus Christ.[/quote]

Sputnik: So, please answer me this question: Prior to Jesus, how were believers judged ...by the Law? Hmmm . . . .

SputnikBoy said:
Sputnik: So, please answer me this question: Prior to Jesus, how were believers judged ...by the Law? Hmmm . . . .

Why?? It's not relavant to my arguement.

Another added to "ignore" :roll:

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God FORBID: yea, we ESTABLISH THE LAW." (Romans 3:31).

"Not every one that SAITH unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOETH the will of my Father which is in heaven. MANY will say to me in that day, Lord Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, YE THAT WORK INIQUITY ( lit. "lawlessness"). (Matthew 7:21-23)

Of His true church Revelation says, "And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed ("ekklesia" - "called-out ones"), WHICH KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.

Unfortunately, christianity has gone in the way of Cain - designer religion - "every man doing what is right in his own eyes." This was not acceptable to God then, it isn't now. Denominationalism is man's system of religion ( "Mystery Babylon"). Paul spent the first three chapters of 1 Corinthians correcting the sectarianism of the church. There is no authority in our own perceptions, experiences or opinions, all authority rests in God's word, alone (sola scritura). Jesus, the sinless lamb of God - God, Himself, when confronting Satan in the wilderness, used the word of God, alone.

The Scripture, even at the very end, teaches us, that, those who are His, are commandment keepers. Would we suggest, that, when in Christ, we can worship other gods? lie, covet, murder, commit adultery? What a foolish argument!

If His law is written upon our hearts, it will be evidenced in our daily life - that, is what sanctification is all about. If we are one with the law-keeper, we will live a holy life - not by our might or power, but, by His Spirit working within us.

"For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life." (Proverbs 6:23)

"Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold." (Psalm 119:127) Do we love His commandments above gold?

"I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." (Psalm 40:8). The New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34) takes place in us when He writes His law upon our hearts. If His law is not written upon our hearts, how then, can we say, we are His?

"Let God be true and every man a liar." (Romans 3:4)

"If His law is not written upon our hearts, how then, can we say, we are His?"

This is the key Scripture here. Believers have the law written on to their hearts. Thus, any laws made by man in his futile attempt at pretending to "just" are irrelevant, and serve only to justify the means with man attempts to control his fellow man.

PHIL121
Under the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34), once again, the finger of God writes His laws upon the fleshly tablets of our heart, and enables us by His Holy Spirit, to love, worship and obey Him.

"Under the New Covenant"??? There's nothing in the Bible that says you're under the New Covenant. Thereis nothing in the Bible that says the New Covenant is for you.

God Bless!

PHIL121
Under the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34), once again, the finger of God writes His laws upon the fleshly tablets of our heart, and enables us by His Holy Spirit, to love, worship and obey Him.

"Under the New Covenant"??? There's nothing in the Bible that says you're under the New Covenant. Thereis nothing in the Bible that says the New Covenant is for you.

God Bless!

Boy ....the trolls are getting pretty bad on this site as well :roll:

Fortunately, this site makes "ignoring" easy!

PHIL121 said:
SputnikBoy said:

Why?? It's not relavant to my arguement.

Another added to "ignore" :roll:

Your attitude toward those who don't fall into line with your views are quite rude, PHIL. No one has said or done anything to make you so snippy. If you can't debate these issues in an adult way, then why bother participating?

My question to you was indeed relevant to your argument. In your previous post you said, "Jesus set all believers free from the Law because we are no longer judged according to the law, but through faith in Jesus Christ." By implication of that statement, those PRIOR to Jesus WERE judged by the Law. Not so. You will find that NO ONE has ever been saved by the Law ...it's ALWAYS been a matter of faith. So, Jesus didn't alter anything in this respect. Jesus Himself kept the spirit of the Law. If He did, then why shouldn't we?

I'm back to the red print, by the way ...speaking of behaving like an adult ...!
;-)

I think there may be some confusion of "The Law" and the "Commandment" in that while one is speaking of the Law of Moses another is thinking the commandments Christ spoke of.

The Law of Moses defines sin and was to be followed by the people to please God. The commandments Christ spoke of encompassed all the ten commandents ... to love God and love your neighbor as yourself.

Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

We cannot please God by trying to adhere to OT law but by loving our Lord and others as He would have us do. If I love my neighbor I won't kill him. If I love my neighbor I won't steal from him or take his wife. If I love my neighbor I won't lie about him, gossip about him or as the bible states, "bear false witness".
And there is no need to atone our sin by the blood of animals over and over again, year after year for Christ shed His blood on the cross that all who believe shall be saved.
And let's not forget the OT Jews looked for the arrival of a Messiah. They had faith He would come and we have faith that He did.

this scritputre -> is this not crystal clear???! OPEN YOUR EYES :o

"Not every one that SAITH unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOETH the will of my Father which is in heaven. MANY will say to me in that day, Lord Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, YE THAT WORK INIQUITY ( lit. "lawlessness"). (Matthew 7:21-23)

xxangelzkiss said:

Then EVERYONE is going to Hell...for no one is just and no one except Jesus is without Sin.

Jesus said this before the New Covenant was established.

PHIL121 said:
xxangelzkiss said:

PHIL121: Then EVERYONE is going to Hell...for no one is just and no one except Jesus is without Sin.

Jesus said this before the New Covenant was established.

Sputnik: So, again I have to ask the question ...does the New Covenant offer advantages to the NT Christians that the Old Covenant didn't? Seems rather unfair to me that those prior to Jesus were lost simply because they were not born later. If so, then God sure has some apologizing to do.

PHIL121:
Boy ....the trolls are getting pretty bad on this site as well

What a convenient way for you to avoid questions and points you have no answer to. It's unfortunate that there are some who can't defend their comments about the Bible.

God Bless!

ddubsolo85 said:
PHIL121:
Boy ....the trolls are getting pretty bad on this site as well

What a convenient way for you to avoid questions and points you have no answer to. It's unfortunate that there are some who can't defend their comments about the Bible.

God Bless!

Sputnik: Absolutely, ddub. This guy is ignoring the challenge of defending his stand on the topic. Stop with the childish pouting, PHIL121, and participate in the debate ...if you're able that is.

It is so funny that so many try and replace the 10 commandment with the 'law of love' and that when the Bible says, 'If ye love me keep my commandments' it is talking about 'love' and not the 10. After all, they say, Jesus said 'a new commandment I give you'.

I just don't fully understand the logic here...

First of all it wasn't a 'new' commandment as the OT gives both of these 'love' commandments quite plainly. Why? The law IS love! It is God's standard for us because we are His and He loves us! Jesus said 'the law can be summed up' in those two. Not 'replaced' not 'abolished' but summed up!

So why did Jesus say it was a 'new' commandment'

The difference was in the focus of the law and the covenant. The people said 'All that you command WE will do'. Jesus say, 'I will complete it in you' The law had been looked at as a burden. Jesus came to set the people free from the burden the Jews had put on the law and the consequences. The law condemned us through our actions. Jesus took the penalty on Himself. The law was not fully internalized by the OT Jews, Jesus came and fulfilled God's promise in Jeremiah that He would write it in our hearts.

Now the law is internalized and is obeyed through the spirit in us through Christ Jesus.

A NC Christian will not steal, murder, worship other Gods or commit adultery anymore than an OC Christian. Hence, the law is even MORE important in our lives and just as relevant.

Anybody who says differently is merely arguing semantics of Paul and not thinking it through logically and reasonably. Or it is mostly because nobody wants to obey the Sabbath so to do away with it, they have to do away with the other commandments.

Back