Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The meaning of this verse.

Rogervan

Hello,

Does anyone know the meaning of Galatians 5:6? It seems like it has deep meaning, but I don't get it. Can anyone help me out?

Roger

Hello,

Does anyone know the meaning of Galatians 5:6? It seems like it has deep meaning, but I don't get it. Can anyone help me out?

Roger

Galatians 5.6 says:

"For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love."

It means that those who have faith in, and love and trust, the Lord Jesus and walk in love because of Him, are not in that position because of Jewish religious rites, or because they are non-Jewish. But believers in the Lord Jesus Christ from both a Jewish and non-Jewish background can both be found walking in faith and love, before God, and in fellowship with each other, whatever their original background was.

(Something like this.)

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
AMP 6 For [if we are] in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith activated and energized and expressed and working through love.

Rom_2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom_2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
Rom_10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Gal_3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Hi Roger

In simple terms, there were Jews that were trying to say non Jews had to have their foreskin cut off to be saved. That verse says you don't have to cause its not a requirement of salvation. Its about faith... acting in love.

Good answers.

This is how I break it out:

"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value (in obtaining a declaration of right standing with God).
The only thing that counts (towards a declaration of righteousness) is faith...
(faith that can be seen) expressing itself through love." (Galatians 5:6 NIV parenthesis mine)

The revelation of truth that was made known to man with the coming of Christ was the truth that man is reconciled to God by faith in the forgiveness of God, not by doing righteous things to somehow make up for sin, or earn salvation.

Paul is saying the only thing that counts towards being justified (made righteous) in God's sight is faith--faith and trust in the blood of Christ to remove sin guilt and bring us into peace with God. Righteous works of the law, particularly circumcision, have no power to justify a person. They can only show a person to have the righteousness of God--a righteousness that can only come by faith in the Promised Son, Jesus Christ.

And Paul is also pointing out what James says in his letter. The faith that justifies is the faith that loves. Many, many people, apparently even in the days of the Apostles, succumb to the belief that having faith and being saved is somehow just a mental knowledge that God and the gospel are real. But the scriptures teach that to have a faith that does not manifest itself in a changed nature and a new mindset about obedience to God via the fruit of the Spirit is a faith that can not save. He plainly says the faith that justifies is the faith that manifests the fruit of the Spirit, love. But we live in a time in the church when the belief that faith does not have to 'work' to be able to save, because salvation is so utterly by grace alone, is rampant. It's a sad and tragic misunderstanding of Paul's 'righteousness (by faith) apart from works' teaching in Romans.

Last edited:
Legalism avails nothing. Faith is complete dependence on God that manifests itself in unselfish service to Him and those in need. Faith works through love, not through legalism by circumcision of the flesh, but of the heart saved by God's grace.

Hi Roger

In simple terms, there were Jews that were trying to say non Jews had to have their foreskin cut off to be saved. That verse says you don't have to cause its not a requirement of salvation. Its about faith... acting in love.

The cutting off was also symbolic of a desire to be under the law.

Galatians and Romans make it clear that the New Testament believer is not under the law.

The cutting off was also symbolic of a desire to be under the law.

Galatians and Romans make it clear that the New Testament believer is not under the law.
I do not steal, or commit adultery, or covet other people's things, does this mean I want to be under the law?

The Bible Study Forum where members can get together to grow in the Lord, and knowledge of His Word :)

Good answers.

This is how I break it out:

"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value (in obtaining a declaration of right standing with God).
The only thing that counts (towards a declaration of righteousness) is faith...
(faith that can be seen) expressing itself through love." (Galatians 5:6 NIV parenthesis mine)

The revelation of truth that was made known to man with the coming of Christ was the truth that man is reconciled to God by faith in the forgiveness of God, not by doing righteous things to somehow make up for sin, or earn salvation.

Paul is saying the only thing that counts towards being justified (made righteous) in God's sight is faith--faith and trust in the blood of Christ to remove sin guilt and bring us into peace with God. Righteous works of the law, particularly circumcision, have no power to justify a person. They can only show a person to have the righteousness of God--a righteousness that can only come by faith in the Promised Son, Jesus Christ.

And Paul is also pointing out what James says in his letter. The faith that justifies is the faith that loves. Many, many people, apparently even in the days of the Apostles, succumb to the belief that having faith and being saved is somehow just a mental knowledge that God and the gospel are real. But the scriptures teach that to have a faith that does not manifest itself in a changed nature and a new mindset about obedience to God via the fruit of the Spirit is a faith that can not save. He plainly says the faith that justifies is the faith that manifests the fruit of the Spirit, love. But we live in a time in the church when the belief that faith does not have to 'work' to be able to save, because salvation is so utterly by grace alone, is rampant. It's a sad and tragic misunderstanding of Paul's 'righteousness (by faith) apart from works' teaching in Romans.

Amen

Back