Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The nation of Israel was given the Law,and it was never given to the the Gentiles

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Stop misrepresenting me. I get in trouble here when I use the "L" word in relation to those who must be intentionally misrepresenting what I post. I trust you are not taking advantage of that.

Unless you have some cognitive problem, you must surely know that I never posted anything like this!!

I bolded two of your statements. They reasonably appear to be opposite. You are welcome to re-post those bolded statements and address what appears to me to be two opposite statements. It's not my problem to read your stuff and to point out the obvious and request clarifications. It does not make me a 'liar' to make such requests.

To assert that the Law of Moses was given to Jews and Jews only is not the same thing as suggesting that the Old Testament has nothing to say to Gentiles.
Ah, we have then a MARKED departure in logic then don't we.

You might admit that the LAW OF MOSES does in fact have factual matters to convey to GENTILES? Is this an accurate statement?

The Old Testament is much more than the Law of Moses!!!
Never said otherwise. Nor can one reasonably 'exclude' conveyances in the Law of Moses, particularly when they are foundational to christianity, such as justification by faith apart from LAW that is conveyed by LAW and certainly then fully applicable to GENTILES. That's kinda been the whole point.

But there is 'another point' in play, and that is IGNORANCE of what the LAW really is. Yes, I will agree that there are MANY 'external' measures of LAW performance that were exercised by Israelites. I even have no problem with Gentiles still doing them. They are filled with BEAUTY. But if one doesn't 'get it' they don't 'get it.'

Jason for example, having a Jewish heritage SEES some of the beautiful correlations of the O.T. to Christian TRUTHs. Just last night I was listening to NPR and they had several Jewish narratives about Hanukkah and the Law.

I thought it was incredible to hear that part of the Law was that one could take their candle and put it in their own room after the ceremony, in the window no less to 'show their faith.' I found that amazing, truthful, allegorical in short, wonderful.
The Law of Moses is found in the first 5 books. There are many other books. And even the Law of Moses was only for Jews, we Gentiles can still learn a lot from the Law, even if we are not under it.
Let me show you a little conundrum from the text. It's only a little one, but you may grasp the significance of the matter.

IF in the Law of Moses we are commanded to 'choose life' and to 'love our neighbors as ourselves' [YES THESE ARE IN THE LAW of MOSES] and the LAW commands this...we can take this matter of LAW to Paul, right here and find Paul's statements to believers to be not one whit different than O.T. LAWs:

Galatians 5:
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Now, please hang with the reasoning here Drew.

IF the fruit of the Spirit is hung in the LAW, which it clearly is, the LAW of this matter is a fact and it is applicable. But there is no LAW against doing this, so we are not 'UNDER' A LAW in this regards because there IS NO LAW against such things.

You see things can and are IN THE LAW OF MOSES that are LEGAL SPIRITUALLY and we are not 'UNDER' THE LAW because the LAW is not against us in this matter as there is no LAW AGAINST GOOD.

Do you understand this simplicity? I hope so. You see the Law of Moses in this regard is a fact and when we 'do that' we are not UNDER the Law but IN His Spirit.

Please digest before response. The LAW is not against love and peace and righteous deeds. The Law of Moses can NOT be against such things because they are SPIRITUAL in NATURE that COME from God Himself IN US, in our HEARTS.

At this point I am only reasoning with you from the GOOD SIDE of the Law of Moses. There is another half that is not so much fun. But if God is not IN YOU to take in the GOOD SIDE of the Spirit of the Law of Moses, you will NEVER accept the other side of the stone.

enjoy!

smaller

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure whether you have a "problem", or whether you are being intentionally difficult.

I cannot be any clearer than I have been - you cannot simply assume this text is about our getting a status of righteousness.

The way you frame your question - about the source of a righteousness that we get - shows that you are either unable, or unwilling, to acknowledge the possibility that this text has nothing whatsoever to say about a righteous status we get, but is rather entirely centred on the righteous behaviour of God.

Drew, for about the nth time I've never said otherwise.

If you are saying that our faith is not participatory in that it again would be just kinda weird though.

s

Hi smaller:

I do not think this to and fro is getting anywhere. If other posters join in the discussion, I might get engaged.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back